Chapter 39 Things to think about

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Idk but I think this chapter is a little longer than usual. Enjoy!

With one phonecall, your world had turned upside down. You were outright hysterical and Kris had to pin you to the ground and try and talk softly to you before you could even speak a coherant word. He quickly helped getting you started on packing, while he called the other guys. You later found out they all chipped in to buy you a quick plane ticket to Incheon Airport. 

Kris wasted no time in speeding you towards the airport and when you thought about it later, how he had acted was very noble of him. You weren't in the know about how most boyfriends acted, but you were guessing it wasn't easy to help your girlfriend pack and leave your side to go halfway around the world. Kris hadn't even met Jaejoong yet, and he was being so helpful. 

It was only when Kris saw the sign in the airport saying he could go no further unless he was getting on the plane, that he started to show signs of hesitation. He knew he couldn't stop you and he wouldn't even dream of trying; but it was still hard. 

"It's Valentine's day...." you said, looking up at him, "And I'm leaving you...." 

"Valentine's day ended an hour ago," Kris said holding up the his phone to show you the time, "And for my first time actually having a girlfriend on Valentine's day, I'd say it kicked ." You smiled a bit at the end and so did he, but it looked forced. 

"Come back when you're ready okay?" He said finally wrapping you in hug, you were going to miss his hugs, "I'm going to miss you like hell, but don't come back until everything's settled. And call me every night, I don't care about the time difference, I just want to hear your voice." 

You nodded into his shoulder and held him tighter as the announcer's voice came over the intercom. 

"I have to go," you said and reluctantly let go. 

"I'll wait here till you're gone," Kris said leaning in, he hesistated, then gave you a soft kiss. 

"Be safe, I'll miss you like crazy," he said. 

You parted ways then and you moved in a sort of daze. The next thing you knew you were already on the plane, and the voice overhead was alerting you to the fact that it you were about to land in Korea. 

You knew one thing; you weren't ready. You weren't ready to see your brother laying on a hospital bed, or to see your parents crying for him. The one thing you wanted was thousands of miles away. And he was feeling just as ty as you were. 

~~~~~~~ 

No one came to pick you up from the airport. You didn't expect anyone; they were probably tending to Jaejoong, but you were always hopeful. You decided to go to the hospital first and a nurse directed you to Jaejoongs ward. 

The atmosphere was rather dismal. Jaejoong was asleep on a bed while your parents sat one side of the bed. A worn out looking Bo-ah was sitting on the other side of the bed lightly holding one of Jaejoong's hands. You cleared your throat to make your presence known. All three stood up, Bo-ah rushing to you first and giving you a tight hug. 

"Oh I'm so glad your here," she breathed, releasing you and stepping back so as to take in your full view. You parents were next, giving you short hugs and murmering small, 'thanks for coming." You hesitantly stepped closer to Jaejoong's bedside. You could make out faint bruises and cuts littering his amrs and face. 

"He was in surgery earlier," Bo-ah supplemented, "He'll be asleep for a while, but," she took a deep breath, "He'll be alright." 

There was some small talk, mostly about how your flight was and the details of Jaejoongs accident. A combination of ice and someone elses' drunk driving was what landed him here. You parents soon stood up and offered to take you and Bo-ah to the hospital cafeteria. Bo-ah mentioned that she wanted to go to the front desk first though, so as to pick up Jaejoong's belongings (coat, keys, phone, etc.). You told her you would do it, and pushed her towards your parents. 

The front desk gave you his coat and the rest of the smaller belongings were placed in a plastic bag. You were bringing them back to the hospital room and was setting them down on a table in the room, when Jaejoong's coat fell onto the ground. Upon picking it up, you noticed something fell out of the pocket. It was a little black velvet box. You knew what it was but you opening it anyway. 

The ring was beautiful, and you knew it would look even better on Bo-ah's finger. You also decided to hide the box in your own purse seeing as how Bo-ah would probably go through Jaejoong's things for herself later. You didn't want the suprise to be ruined. You went over and gave Jaejoong a kiss on the forehead before going to join your family and soon-to-be-sister in the cafeteria. 

~~~~~~ 

"So," you father asked around a mouthful of udon, "How's America?" 

You squinted at him, as if you heard wrong. "I'm in Canada?" you offered and he corrected himself. 

"It's fine. I'm getting A's in most of my classes and I've made some really cool friends," you said picking at your wilted salad. 

"Just keep the grades up," you father said nodding approvingly. 

"You should still have some fun though," you mother said, "I mean how often do you get to study abroad?" 

"What about a special someone I've been hearing about?" Bo-ah said nudging your side. All eyes at the table were on yours.

"You're dating?" Your father said. You nodded hesitantly at first, but when you thought about Kris and the time you had spent with him, you began to smile widely as you confidently nodded. 

"Aww look at that face," Bo-ah cooed, "You must tell me everything, your e-mails aren't nearly as satisfying or detailed as they should be." You were about to say something back to her but you were cut off by your father, 

"Isn't that kind of pointless? I mean you're not staying there forever, so you'll have to leave him eventually," he shrugged as though there was no consequence to what he just said; as though the resounding silence wasn't enough. 

"She knows that!" you mother cut it, thinking she was helping, "Just let her have her fun while she's there. It's probably just a fling, I'm sure it gets lonely out there."

"It's not," you spoke softly, "It's not some passing fancy. You didn't ask so you don't get to assume. Maybe, I'm in a serious relationship, maybe I want th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter