Chapter 36 Mother nature intervenes

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you ever felt like you should upvote this piece of toilet paper, I urge you to do it now. Cuz this story is about to take a drastic turn that you may or may not like. Idk let's just see how it goes hmmm?

As soon as Kris got on the highway you knew something was wrong. Not with him or you or anyone in the car for that matter, but with the outdoors. 

"The storm was coming from the north, you said?" you asked Kris. 

"That's what the weatherman said," he responded looking just as cautious as you did, "Something tells me that 'where' it's coming from doesn't matter anymore, the point is that it's here."  

The highway was virtually abandoned, save for one or two cars who seemed to be heading for the exits. You and Kris still had three hours to go. The snow was already starting to fall faster and thicker and it didnn't seem safe to carry on. 

"Is your mother still at the apartment?" you asked. Kris shook his head, 

"She'd be heading out right about now," he responded. You leaned back in your seat and tried to ignore the uneasiness in the pit of your stomach. You reached for your blanket only to find it missing. 

"Damn it," you groaned after rummaging through your small backpack for it. 

"Don't worry, I'm sure my mom will find it and mail it back," Kris assured, slowing the car's pace considerably as he continued to drive on the highway. 

"I like your mother," you declared smiling a bit, "And I didn't even get to know her for that long." 

"I think she liked you too," Kris said returning the smile. 

"So," you said, remembering the drive to the apartment, "What did you get out of this trip?" 

"Peace of mind?" Kris offered. You scrunched your brows for a moment while thinking. 

"Explain, please?" you tried. 

"I was always confused and restless and dismayed around my mother or anything related to her. And now, it's almost as if those bad memories are gone and the good memories, before the bad came, as well as the promise of future memories makes me feel at peace." 

You thought for a moment, 

"What do you see in the future? With your mother and yourself, I mean." 

"What we have still isn't perfect, and I doubt it will ever be. But I like to think that our bond will continue to get better and better. Years of pain don't just go away with one night and a few hugs. I anticipate there will be days when I still question her. But this time, I feel confident, that she do the motherly thing and all will be well by the time the day is over. I am reassured to know that she is back in my life." 

"It's nice hearing you speak like this," you admitted, "Kris look!!" you exclaimed. While his eyes were already on the road, you had no idea if he saw the car in the ditch that you had just seen. Or if he was aware of the fact you could barely see ten feet in front of you. 

"Kris," you hesitated, "I'm kind of scared." 

He reached over and rubbed your arm (which was rather awkward but you both said nothing), 

"Just take a nap, and when you wake up, we'll be bac!k at the dorms safely," he said, lowering his arm to push a button on the side of your chair so as to let it recline. You trusted him and soon you drifted to sleep. 

~~~~~~  

You had no idea what time it was when you woke up. You were aware that wherever you were it was eerily dark and your teeth were chattering like crazy. Looking up, you discovered you were still in Kris' car. The only thing was, the car was turned off and buried in snow. You noticed Kris laying in his seat, with his eyes closed. You didn't know if he was sleeping or if he was unconscious and a tremor of fear crashed down on you. 

"Kris!" you yelled, "Kris wake up!" you repeated over and over, repeatedly hitting his chest and face. He eventually opened his eyes and looked at you. 

"Are you alright?" was the first thing he said. You nodded and moved to gesture to the current state you were both in. 

"What's happening?" you asked in a rather panicked tone. 

"The car spun off the road and into a snowbank. I can't get it to restart. The phone's aren't getting signal with the storm going on either. We just have to hope the highway patrol finds us soon." He said sitting up in his chair. You noticed him shrugging out of his coat, despite the thin hoodie he was wearing underneath, and placing it over you. 

"You need it more than I do," he countered when you tried to push it away. The coat was warm and it smelled of Kris' clean scent. But you knew it was only a matter of time before he became cold, especially with the temperature getting lower and lower with every passing second. 

"What happens if no one finds us?" you asked timidly. 

"That won't happen," Kris said, though it sounded like he himself wasn't sure of that. 

An hour passed and during that hour, you and Kris moved towards the backseat of the Prius. The luggage was in the trunk currently, and while Kris had attempted to get it once, he didn't want to risk letting all the warmth out of the car and trying to battle the strong wind. You were shivering even with Kris' coat but he didn't seem bothered by it too much. 

You and Kris had been sitting in a comfortable silence for a long while. Kris would occasionally try and start the car or check his phone for signal, but it was no use. It became darker and colder with every passing minute and by the time 7:00 came around, Kris was having a hard time trying to hid the chattering of his teeth. You two had long since been curled up against each other for warmth but it was really of no use.

By the time you could see your breath in the car, the actual fear of not being found became real to you. You began to think Kris was going to get hypothermia with just the thin hoodie on, and his breathing was already starting to come out as labored. And maybe it was just the darkness, but his lips were looking rather blue. You didn't even have to think before you made the next move. 

You sat up in the backseat and removed your arms from Kris' coat. He weakly turned his head in your direction but didn't really seem aware of what was going on. Next you repostioned yourself so that you were sitting sideways on Kris' lap and then coaxed him to put his own arms through the coat. You were now trapped effectively between Kris' chest and the coat, but it didn't matter. Now both of you could be warm. 

You rested your upper body on Kris' chest, not only to keep him warm, but also because it was extremely comfortable and you found the sound of his heartbeat oddly soothing. Kris had his head buried in your neck and had his arms not only holding the coat in place, but also wrapped around your frame as if he were trying to cage you to him. You didn't mind. 

"You....." he breathed, "You didn't.......have to....." he sounded like he was practically wheezing as he continued to bury his head in your hair. You had moved your to arms to kind of wrap around his torso as though you were hugging him, as your head continued to rest agianst his chest. 

"shhhhh," you soothed as you moved to place a hand at his neck. While you yourself were also extremly cold in that moment, you were also aware of the fact that Kris was considerably colder than you and the slowness of his heart was beginning to scare you. You found yourself hugging him tighter, as though you could give him every last ounce of warmth you possesed. 

"Thank you for taking me along," you whispered, hoping that talking would help to keep warm and keep sane, "I had a lovely time and it was so nice to be with your mother, and to see you with her like that. It's heartwarming to see a mother like that." 

"Isn't your mother....also like that?" Kris said softly. 

"......Never mind...." you said hoping to end the topic. Kris however, seemed to be more awake and warm now and had his attention on you. 

"C'mon Jangmi, what is it?" 

".....It's nothing....go to sleep or something," you snapped, and Kris was quiet for a while, until he spoke again. 

"I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. I will use wish number one. I wish for you to tell me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter