Chapter 19 Everyone Has a Past to Forget

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks passed since November 1, and you got closer to the guys. With the exception of Kris of course. He would basically pick you up in the morning and make awkward small talk until he dropped you off with Tao and Chen. You then wouldn't see him until the 'anticipated' club meetings.

It was understandable, you did have a different major then him. He also wasn't taking any of the basic courses like Chen and Tao. Either he didn't need the credit or he just felt he wouldn't need them even if his current plan didn't pan out. It wasn't any of your buisness anyways. 

You continued to get closer to the Chinese boys, as was expected as you started and ended the day with them. Sometimes they ate dinner with you at your house, or would grab coffee with you before school, but you were aware the relationship you had with them wasn't really on a deep and personal level.

Some weren't as close with you than others *cough* Luhan and Xiumin. Though the two seemed fine with your presence and would join the group on a coffee outing, they wouldn't willingly be the first to suggest it. 

Besides your growing relationship with the guys, you also noticed something. On the rare occasion, Kris would stop by alone at your apartment, to just drop off something small or tell you a schedule change, he would always say odd? things. 

"Kris, can you hand me that piece of paper?" you asked once, while cleaning the apartment. 

"Yeah. . ." he started, but then caught sight of what was on the paper, "You're trying to change partners?" he said with and underlying tone of anger. 

"No. . .I mean I tried at first, but then I met your friends and you became nicer and never turned the paper in. I like the partnership now," you said still reaching for the paper. 

"You shouldn't just. . .," he snapped, but the seemed to not find words and settled for ripping the paper up before stalking towards your kitchenette.

That time you shrugged it off and assumed he was moody about the fact you had sneakily tried to rid yourself of him. That made it understandable. But it was those little things he did when he decided to be nice, that made you wonder if he really was the smoking dragon you had met that first day. 

"I know what you're doing," he muttered at you while standing behind you as the others tried to get ready to cross the street. You looked at him curiously. 

"They gave you the wrong order back there," he mumbled, nodding his head back to the Tim Horton's behind you. 

"It's not a big deal," you said passively. And you thought that was the end of it until Kris took your drink from you and replaced it with his own, which happened to be the drink you should have gotten. He stared ahead like nothing happened but spoke anyway,

"I don't feel drinking the house blend, and what you had seemed better." 

That time, his action sat oddly with you, but as soon as the light changed, the scene left your mind and you put your focus on trying not to get run over by a car. 

Another time Kris returned a book you didn't even know you had lost, and asked how your hand was doing, somehow knowing you had cut it while trying to cut an apple. You didn't mind him warming up to you a bit, and figured that moments were only awkward because he didn't say much to you besides them. His friends didn't seem to notice anything odd. Until one night. 

It was a friday, so the mood was naturally happy. You had all gathered at Lay and Chen's apartment and were eating take out while watching Tao and Luhan argue about what movie to watch. Chen was inserting his horrible puns and jokes the entire time while you, Lay and Kris just watched with amusement. Then a phone rang and the boys settled down, though Tao and Luhan were still glaring at each other and you were pretty sure they were kicking each other under the fold out card table you were all gathered around. 

It was Kris' phone that was ringing and he pulled it out and checked the caller ID. No one missed the thunder cloud that descended upon his face. 

"I'm leaving," he announced standing up quickly and heading for the door, "Tao!" he barked making you jump slightly, "Take Jangmi back home later."

And he dissappeared. And even though the thunder was gone, it left behind a dampened and dreary atmosphere. The night ended without much talk. Tao and Luhan ended up dropping the movie arguement entirely and settled for some horribly written TV sitcom. Xiumin found it funny, oddly eno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter