Chapter 29 Decorating for Christmas

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm sure we did this ten times quicker and more efficiently then Chen could have," Xiumin spoke as he loaded the last of the groceries into the back of his car.

"I'm still shocked about the fact that you and Luhan have cars," you spoke from behind him as you adjusted your mittens.

Xiumin loaded the last bag and closed the trunk before turning to you,

"That's because we've never needed them whenever we were with you," he pointed out to which you nodded.

"Get inside the car; I'll return the shopping cart. Wanna go for dinner?" he asked, but walked off with the cart before you could respond. You turned back to the little black car and got inside, enjoying the warmth inside it as opposed to the frigid air outside.

Xiumin came in a minute later with his phone in his hand.

"Lay picked Chen up and they went to car dealership," the screen showed a picture of chen hugging a totaled Bom. You weren't sure if he was crying or not.

"The idiot didn't insure the car as he was confident in his driving skills," Xiumin rolled his eyes, "He was offered some money to give the car over for parts and scrap metal. I think he and Lay are going to check out some other cars right now."

You smiled and wondered what Chen's reaction had been like when he found out the car  was totaled.

"So," Xiumin said as he pulled on his seatbelt, "Where do you want to eat? Ihop? Sounds great." He didn't even let you open your mouth to anwser as he started the car and zoomed out of the mall.

~~~~~~

"Anything you wanna share?" you asked Xiumin, while raising an eyebrow.

"Nope. Why?" He responded craning his neck as though he was looking for something. . . or someone.

"Because you asked for a certain female waitress, and you told her that I wasn't your girlfriend, but your sister. You also asked for the usual, so I'm guessing you come here often. Which is odd because I'm pretty sure there's another Ihop closer to campus than this one, which is rather out of the way."

You sipped on your water and waited for his anwser. Xiumin hesitated but finally decided to tell you.

"I just. . . really like pancakes."

"Which is why you ordered a waffle," you retorted, sarcastically.

"Look, I just know the waitress here from one of my classes and we hit it off, sooo. . ."

"Awwwww you have a little crush," you teased, and faster than the speed  of light, Xiumin clapped his hand over your mouth.

"First of all, no I don't like her romantically. . .it would be stupid to start a relationship so suddenly when I might have to go back to Asia at anytime. Second of all, she was just one of the first people I encountered here so yes, I'm a bit nicer to here. . . but nothing beyond that. She probably has a boyfriend or something."

You nodded and slowly removed his hand from over your mouth. You also flashed the 'ok' sign at an elderly couple in the booth across from yours who were staring at you with concerned looks.

"I though you came here with Chen and Lay," you asked, mulling over what he just said.

"I met them two days before we came here and they already knew each other. Luhan arrived late to college by a week so I didn't know him either. When Chen first went to buy Bom with Lay I opted to stay behind and go on a jog. I got lost and wandered here, where I met Irene."

You nodded as you continued to sip at your water.

"Do you see it going places," you asked.

"Probably not. . .I'm not ready to jump into another relationship." he responded, just as Irene rounded the corner with a tray of food.

"Two waffles?" she chirpted and Xiumin grunted in response.

~~~~~~

"Forgive my nosiness, but did you have a past relationship before you came here?" you asked.

You were currently on the way back to campus. It was't the best waffle you had ever had and you were near certain Xiumn felt the same way, but he praised Irene for it anyway. You were also positive she didn't make the waffles so it seemed like an empty compliment to you.

"I did," Xiumin said slowly, "She and I were together the last two years of high school. She got very demanding, secretive, and distan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter