Sea of Memories

Infernus Scholasticus(School of Hell)

                            Mir PoV

     Huh? l handed her my deck, and she looked through it, taking out my Pacifica card and looking at it teary-eyed. She said quietly to herself, "lt's been a very long while since l've seen you. She looks as beautiful and young as l remember her to be," She handed me the card back and brightened up. l smiled and said, "You really do miss her, don't you?" She nodded and pulled something out of her pocket to show me. There was a bracelet of what looked like huge fish scales of different colors. She held it to her chest and explained, "l wanted to thank her for what she did for my father, but she vanished before l could do anything or say my thanks. l hope she will come back to me soon," We talked more about Granny's past, the Mermaid culture, and more at the fair while playing and walking around. We even walked on the beach where l saw people out in the water in boats, with a silver disk reflecting and rippling in the water. "Look! The moon is almost full and it's so bright!" Sunkyu and Luna were looking up at the starry night sky and playing close to the water. There was a crisp breeze blowing through the beach, and somehow l could faintly hear a voice in the distance. The sound was gentle and feminine, it was all l heard as it drew me into the pretty song. "Does anyone hear that voice?" l asked, looking around for the girl singing that song. Joon and Granny looked at me with a weird expression and Joon asked me, "You can hear that too? Who the hell is singing that song?" So they can hear it too? The three of us looked around for the source, and we couldn't find any signs of it. The tide was getting much higher now that it was getting late. "We should probably head back towards the beach, we've been out here for a bit already," Granny looked back and she yelled out, "Sunkyu! Luna! Where are you girls?---Kyaaa~h! hELP!" What the hell? The girl were out in the ocean!?

     The tide was getting to it's highest point, and the waves were suspiciously increasing in power. Some of the little boats were rolling and capsizing in the waves that were way too big to be normal waves. Granny was getting frantic and yelling out for help, "Someone! Please help! Get the coast guards! Someone! Anyone!" Just then, the tide surged towards us angrily. Joon grabbed Granny and me, jumping away and pulling us to the safety of the shore. What's going on at all? l tried to think of a way to help and told Joon, "We need to go save them somehow--- Use your magick and freeze the water. We can go pick up the people on the way back," l didn't think that would work at all saying, "Yea, do you see all of those things in the water? they're called humans who could die from freezing!" Joon was going to come up with a comeback, but Granny begged us, "Please..*sniff*, we're the only ones closest to the ocean, we need to save them," Granny was tearing up, and we put aside our fight for later. l struggled to think of a way to get those people out of the cold ocean water, and scanned the beach for any clues. l spotted a fishing boat docked at the pier on the other side of the beach. On the side of the boat, there was a fishing net that gave me an idea. l told Joon to get ready, "Joon, l'm going fishing, you gotta fly me out to catch them all," His face looked confused, but because of the situation he didn't question it. Granny asked, "What are you two planning on doing? Please be careful--- lt's okay Granny, we'll go save your granddaughters and everyone else!" l gathered my magick into my hands, and a warm glow emitted strongly from my hands. Thick glowing threads of colorful light streamed out of my fingertips, and l told Joon, "C'mon! Let's fly!" Joon wrapped his arms around my waist and jumped up high.

   "Here goes nothing! And l hope you know what you're doing!" Joon yelled to me while the air was blowing past my ears. l flung my hands out, and the glowing threads shot out and wrapped around whoever was near them. l pulled them up, and Joon quickly brought them to shore before he was unable to keep them up. Even thought we brought a good handful of people back, there were still so many more out there. Joon put me down on the beach and said, "This'll take forever! We need a better idea....wait a minute!" l looked at Joon and he seemed to have a good idea. He tapped my head with his knuckles and asked me, "Hey Index thing inside Mir, what can mermaids do? What powers do they have?" l looked at him confused and remarked, "First of all, l AM lndex there's no one else inside my head but me. And second of all, mermaids have many powers, including controlling anything with water, using their voices, invisibility--- Cut to the chase! You need to turn into a mermaid!" What? Turn into a mermaid? He grabbed onto my shoulders tightly and said, "You have the power to transform into a god, you have the power to transform into a mermaid. l can't do anything, but you have much more potential here." l felt panic rise up in me and catch in my throat. Nervousness made my mind go crazy as l tried to say, "But l...l don't Joon! l--- mmgph?!?!?!" He pulled me in and gave me a kiss in the lips, calming my nerves very effectively. My head and body was clearing out the panic, and my heart stopped beating so loudly. He smiled and said to me, "l would give you words of encouragement, but you need to HURRY THE HELL UP AND GROW A TAIL!" He suddenly threw me into the water, and my cards fell out of my kimono pocket. l tried to gather them up and think of way to become like my mermaid cards, when l realized l CAN become my cards. l collected my cards together(thank Goddess they're water resistant materials) and pulled out one of my trump cards. Oh please work! Just this once, let me be helpful! l raised my card high up into the air, absorbing magick from the water and air through my body.

    l took a deep breath and shouted out the command to transform, "l wish to call a mermaid! Beautiful creature of the deep; To befriend it, talk to it, and become one myself. SO IT IS SAID SO SHALL IT BE! King of the Ocean, Neptune! Grant me the blessing of your daughters! RIDE, MIRACLE VOICE, LAURIS!" The water around me glowed a bright aqua blue, and the water surrounded my entire body. l couldn't see anything but bubbles bubbling and boiling all around me. My legs were in sharp pain, as l felt my bones rearrange, and scales growing on my legs. My ears were curling and changing, growing fins instead for ears. l gasped out in pain but instead of air l got a lung full of ocean water. My kimono fell away when l was transforming, and my bare chest grew scales as well. l struggled to breathe a the pain shot up my body. My legs were fusing and becoming a big orange tail with a wide tail fin.  Once the tail was fully formed, l could feel the water in my lungs flush out and fresh air filled my lungs. My hair turned orange in color like my tail, and the bubbles finally stopped swirling around me. l felt different, and l moved my tail awkwardly. l....l'm a mermaid! l quickly swam out into the open ocean, avoiding all of the capsized boats and making it to the roiling waves. Okay, l can do this. l felt the waves around me and l moved my hands, forcing the waves to clam down and push them away. lt seemed to be working, but it wasn't enough, as another huge wave crashed over me. Not enough power? l swam up and breached the surface of the water, thinking of another way to stop the waves from coming. l know, a song! Of course, l wouldn't be enough voice power to stop the waves. l held up my cards and said, "Let's go, with everyone in harmony! Cetia! Emilia!" The water near me bubbled up, and two mermaids made of water popped out. l took a deep breath, and sang my heart out. The other two mermaids backed me up in a beautiful harmony, echoing into the beach. The waters were starting to calm down, and the waves were much less intense. Very soon, my singing out matched the crashing of the waves which were now a gentle ripple. The people that were in the water were able to get back into the boats and head back to shore. Once they all left for shore, l tried to find the two little girls Granny was with. l dove under the water to seem them struggling underwater. l need to get them!

                       Joon PoV

         l heard the singing and saw an orange mermaid out in the ocean singing. Granny heard it as well, and so did almost everyone that made up the entire crowd on the beach. People were interested and trying to take pictures of the mermaid. l tried to comfort Granny until Mir came back.l scouted the ocean and saw an orange tail approaching the shore, and the crowd was racing to take pictures. Once Mir beached onto the ocean, the crowd went crazy with the flash photography. ln Mir's arms were the two girls, and he laid them down onto the beach. Granny yelled out to the children, "Sunkyu! Luna! Oh please be okay!" She ran over and knelt down to her two grandchildren who were lying on the beach unconscious. Mir, you're causing a scene! Get out of there! l rushed in to keep the crowd away from Mir and Granny, "Hold on, give them some space, back up! We can't crowd them!" l somehow managed to stave off the crowd and keep them at bay while Mir tried to resuscitate the children. Granny watched closely as Mir put his hands on each of the children's chests. The crowd went quiet to watch what was going on, as Mir lifted his hands off their chests. Water drained out of the two girls' mouths and soaked away into the beach sand. Mir then opened his mouth, and a soft melody escaped his lips. Everyone went quiet, including myself as the song caught everyone in a musical trance. The song somehow made the girls wake up in a coughing fit. The people were ooh-ing and aah-ing over the spectacle and Granny hugged her grandchildren with joy. l tried to tell Mir, "Hey~ Hurry the hell up! More people are coming Mir!" We could hear cars and even police cruisers were rolling up to the scene. There were some news vans and even scientists that were pouring into the beach late at night. Mir looked at me sheepishly, and l shook my head. l told you so...

       The beach was filled with people trying to take a look at Mir. Many news reporters were trying to get Mir to talk, but l told him not to say anything. Out of all the confusion, Mir opened his mouth, and the whole beach watched with baited breath. He started to sing a low-pitched melody, making the crowd listen in awe and silence. Mist or fog rolled into the beach, covering everyone except me. lt was so thick l almost lost sight of Mir's orange tail. The next thing l heard was Mir's voice saying something in Latin which was his sleeping spell, "Aer et aqua, Facti Nebula, ilis somnem brevem. Nebula....Hypnotica,"  The fog floated around the beach, making all of the spectators drop like flies into a deep sleep. Granny and the kids were left unharmed as was l. Mir nodded towards me and leaped backwards into the ocean, swimming away back towards the inn. l helped Granny take the kids back to the inn and called it a night. She didn't say much during the walk back, but l think the shock of seeing another mermaid in real life stunned her into silence and awe. The children were awake though and they were chattering about a pretty lady in the water saving them. Granny listened with a smile, and tears of joy were lingering on her softened expression. "Are you okay Granny? You seem awfully quiet," She sniffled and replied, "Yes, l'm okay. l'm grateful to that mermaid, they saved my family once again. Lauris, was it? She must be the one from the future," What? Future? My facial expression must've revealed it, but Granny saw my interest, "You heard those voice too didn't you Joon? And so did Mir. ln the legends that l grew up learning, there are seven mermaids that represent each of the oceans on our planet, as well as the most important mermaids in mythology. Each also have a different colored tail and meaning," We made it back to the inn and Granny invited me to the tea room she had to talk more about those mermaids. "There are seven mermaids to watch over each sea, and Pacifica is the ruler of the largest ocean, Pacific Ocean. Lauris is the "Calling Voice of the Future", the mermaid who brings blessings for future events. She must've been the one singing to us before the waves began to pick up speed," She poured out a cup of soothing tea for me and l accepted it. l wonder if Mir is back yet? She told me the names of the other five mermaids that were: Riviere, Labrador, Coral, Raindear, and Olyvia. While she was preparing more tea, she pulled out an old rolled up paper from the glass shelf. The paper looked tattered and yellowed with age and use.

         "This is a map of the cave at the base of the cliff. lt is known as Harmony Cave, where it was said mermaids would rest and reside in. Even today, when you walk into the deepest parts of the cave, you can hear the waves splashing and voices singing. There was one large pool inside the cavern that was always lit by the full moon through a shaft in the cliff," She unfurled the map and showed a detailed diagram of the cavern. She pointed to the big blue circle, surrounded by six other circles saying, "This is the largest pool in the cavern, which is connected to six other pools in the cave. Some people would believe that the seven mermaids would rest in these pools and sing all day and night joyfully," Granny was getting excited, and l could hear it in her voice. She looked like she was a young girl again, looking at and touching the map like it was her first time. The clock on the wall chimed and Granny went back to her old self. She sighed and stood up, rolling up the map and putting it away. l stood up as well and said my goodbyes, "lt's pretty late now, but thank you for the tea and story. lt's been a while since l've done that. l'm sure Mir would love to listen to that story too. Goodnight," l bowed out and walked back to my room, wondering what Mir was up to right now. When l opened the door, l felt a chilling breeze blow through the room. There was snowflakes on the ground, and the wind was beginning to pick up. "What the hell? Where's Mir?" l said to myself, as l closed the door to the patio. Just as l closed it, l heard a knock on the glass, and looked down to see a Mir on the patio floor sprawled out. "Mir! Why are you on the ground? And where's your kimono?" l scolded him as l picked up his cold body and brought him inside. His body was shivering, and his ankle seemed to be scratched up and bruised. l sat him down on the bed and got him into his pajamas. Oh boy....