Chapter 41 - Way to go

The Ugly Twin.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Myungsoo-ah~" Jongin grinned widely while entering Myungsoo's patient room.

The boy was sitting there, staring at Jongin with the most cheerful smile ever.

"Hi!" Jongin grinned and approached the boy. "It's been a long time. Are you feeling alright?"

Myungsoo nodded without tearing off his smile.

"I'm bringing you another food." Jongin said while taking out a box of food. "Can you guess what is this?"

Myungsoo tilted his head to the left.

"Ta-daah!" Jongin opened the box and revealed colorful cupcakes inside.

Myungsoo's eyes widened in ecstasy.

"Do you like cupcakes?" Jongin asked.

Myungsoo nodded his head in excitement.

"Eat all." Jongin said while offering the colorful cupcakes. "I did my best baking them."

Myungsoo then picked a red velvet cupcake then took a bite. His expression brightened and he nodded his head toward Jongin.

"Is it good?" Jongin asked while smiling.

Myungsoo nodded in excitement and took another big bite.

Jongin smiled. "How's your health, Myunggie-ah?"

Myungsoo stopped eating his cupcake and let out a sad smile. He put down the red velvet cupcake on his lap and put his hand on his throat.

Jongin stared in confusion when he saw how Myungsoo touched his throat and shook his hand. "Eh?"

Myungsoo this time put his finger on his lips and shook his head with a sad smile.

It took a second for Jongin to registered what he was saying before widened his eyes. "My-myungsoo? You?"

Myungsoo still smiled sadly.

"You... D-do you... Lost your voice?"

Myungsoo nodded.

Jongin immediately bursted in tears. His heart was clenched painfully.

How could...

Since when...

"Since when?" Jongin couldn't help but ask.

Myungsoo took a notebook on the table beside his bed and scratched some words there.

 

Since yesterday. I suddenly couldn't talk.

My voice was hoarsh for a few minutes, and then suddenly it didn't come out.

Until now.

 

Jongin put his hand on his mouth and looked at Myungsoo again.\

Myungsoo was forcefully smile. His heart was also breaking to pieces inside, but he held it.

"Myungsoo..." Jongin felt tears fell harder onto his cheeks.

Myungsoo blinked to shoo away the tears that gathered on the corner of his eyes. He had tried hard to be strong infront of Sunggyu, he also couldn't get weak infront of Jongin.

 

That's okay.

Maybe it will comeback in a few days.

 

Jongin who read it just cried even harder.

Myungsoo was so strong. So strong for a kid on his age.

"Myungsoo-ah..." Jongin whimpered while caressing Myungsoo's cheek.

Myungsoo inhaled a shaky breath before smiled agin.

That's okay.

He's strong.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"When does rainbow come out in the sky?"

Taemin raised both of his eyes. "Eh? Rainbow?"

Jongin nodded. "I want to see a rainbow in Seoul. Where can I find it?"

Taemin blinked in confusion. "Well... That's not easy. I haven't seen any rainbow in Seoul since 5 years ago."

Jongin sighed in frustration.

"Do you want to see a rainbow?" Taemin asked while frowning. "Why all of sudden?"

Jongin huffed. "There's this kid I know in the hospital, and he really wants to see a rainbow. He has never seen one on his whole life."

"Well that makes sense." Taemin said. "It's quite hard to see rainbows in such a big town like Seoul. The last time I saw one, it was when I went to a camp on the top of the mountain."

"Should I bring him to the mountain, then?"

"I don't promise you that you will definitely see one." Taemin shook his head in dissapprovement. "Rainbows are rare to be seen. It just appears once in a while. That's why it special."

Jongin sighed again. He stared out of the window, thinking deeply about what to do.

"Have you taken your medicine?" Taemin asked in a warning tone.

"Oh..." Jongin blinked and then headed toward his table. He took out three pills out of the plastic and popped them inside of his mouth.

"I feel kinda like an alarm lately." Taemin shook his head.

Jongin just threw an innocent smile before headed back to sit on his bed. "Ah, hyung. What should I do to see rainbows?"

Taemin pursed his lips, thinking about something. "Well... Do it yourself, then."

"Huh?" Jongin frowned. "Do it, by myself?"

"Yes, we can make a rainbow too you know." Taemin straightened his sitting position.

"How?" Jongin asked.

"Easy." Taemin said. "Just get me some CD and a big canvas. We gonna make the real big one. Tomorrow. How?"

"Okay, call." Jongin nodded in enthusiasm.

Just then, Taemin's phone vibrated. Taemin rushed toward the phone and picked them up.

"Hello?"

"Taemin-ah?"

"Ah, Onew hyung." Taemin blinked. "What's wrong?"

"Err..." Onew seemed hesitated. "...well..."

Taemin sat on the chair infront of Jongin's studying table while waiting for Onew's reply.

"...it's about Key..."

Taemin's eyes widened. "Key?"

"Well... He's leaving tonight... Do you want to... Err... Saying... Goodbye?"

"Leaving?" Taemin's eyebrows knitted. "Leaving to?"

"America."

"Eh?" Taemin widened his eyes. "Am-america?"

"Yes. He didn't tell you, did he?" Onew sighed on the other line.

"W-w-when?" Taemin stuttered.

"He's on his way to the airport now." Onew replied. "He had told Minho and Jonghyun, but he was too afraid to tell you. He even warned us to hid about his departure from you."

"Huh?" Taemin felt slightly annoyed. "Why doesn't he tell me himself? He doesn't want to see me?"

"Well, he's afraid you are the one that don't want to see him." Onew replied calmly.

Taemin immediately pressed his lips into thin line.

Oh, right. They were in the middle of fighting each other.

"His plane will be leaving on 8." Onew said. "Which means an hour from now. Do you... Want to see him?"

Taemin was silenced. His heart debated whether he should go or just stay at home.

"That's okay if you don't want to see him..." Onew added at the end. "I know you are still angry. Key also regretted everything that he did. As Key's replacement, I apologized."

Taemin was still shutting his mouth off. He didn't know what to say. His mind went blank.

"I'll be driving, then." Onew said. "We'll meet again on monday. Okay?"

"Hyung." Taemin called out all of sudden.

"Yes?"

"Can you pick me up too? I'm going with you."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

"Taemin-ah, I think it'll be raining for sure."

"It won't. Don't worry, Key-ah."

"But it's so dark. I bet it will be raining." Key insisted.

"No, it won't. Just trust me." Taemin said while choosing a slice of strawberry cake.

"Huft. If it suddenly rains, I don't know what to do. I don't bring any umbrella." Key warned.

"Okay, okay." Taemin replied.

The two then headed out of the bakery and walked toward the bus stop.

"This bakery is very popular, yet they build it on the mountain like this." Key said while eyeing the bakery. "There are only houses here. Why doesn't the owner just move it to the city? He will get more profit, right?"

"Maybe because it's his main attraction?" Taemin asked. "Eating cakes while staring at the beautiful view of the mountain is plus plus plus for me."

Key just raised his shoulders.

"It's so dark." Key said while looking at the sky. "I hope it won't be raining. The bus stop is still meters away from here."

Taemin at the end looked up to the sky too.

Well, it got even darker than before for sure.

"Eh, what's that sound?" Key suddenly went panic. He turned his head to the back, and watched as rain started to pour a little far behind them.

"Oh my God! Run!"

Taemin immediately ran behind Key, tried to avoid the cloudy rain that started to made its way toward them.

The two ran as fast as they could. The bus stop was visible already, but it seemed like the dark clouds were faster than their steps.

"Aaaaargghh!" Key was the first one screaming when the rain washed over them.

Taemin on the other just cursed silently. Key would be angry for sure. His diva friend cared about his looks the most... And got washed by the dirty rain was the worst scenario that had ever happened to him.

They finally approached the bus station with wet uniforms. The two immediately sat down on the bench under the roof of the bus station.

"Key-ah, I'm sorry!" Taemin immediately apologized. "I should have listened to you before!"

Key ruffled his wet hair before turned his head toward Taemin. He stared to Taemin's worried face before broke into laughter.

"Eh?" Taemin got confused when he saw his best friend just laughed.

"We just did a race with rain! How awesome is that! Hahahaha"

Taemin stared dumbfoundedly at Key. His best friend was laughing out loudly without any sign of anger at all.

"It's so cool! The best race in my life, ever!" Key laughed again as he wiped his face dry with his hand.

Taemin then started to laugh too.

Soon, they were laughing and joking around again. When the bus came, they hopped on, completely drained from the rain.

Taemin's hand was cold, and he shivered even more when the bus's airconditioner hit his body. That time, Key extended his hand and held Taemin's hand.

"Maybe if we snuggle close to each other it won't be too cold."

The two then sat so close to each other. There was no use actually, since both of them were wet.

Both of them were shivering. Both of them were cold.

And the next day the two ended up getting fever.

 

Flashback ends.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Taemin smiled at the short memory. He was sitting on Onew's car, heading to the airport. Minho was sitting beside him, while Jonghyun was on the front seat beside Onew.

"How long Key gonna stay there?" Jonghyun asked.

"I don't know." Onew replied sadly. "Maybe a year... Or maybe two... It's up to his dad."

Taemin looked down, staring at his hands. Suddenly guilt formed on his chest. He knew it was nowhere his fault but seeing Key had to leave like this, it pained him.

"You will miss him for sure, Onew hyung." Minho said with a smile. "No more a diva boyfriend with obsession to social media."

Onew smiled. "Yes..."

The four fell into silence again.

"Key will be back, right?"

A small voice of Taemin gathered all the attention in the car.

"He will be back." Onew replied with a smile. "I don't know when, but he promise me he will be back."

Taemin bit his lower lip. As the second passed, he felt the memories of him and Key got even bigger.

A tear rolled down on Taemin's cheek.

Deep, deep down inside of his heart...

He didn't want Key to leave.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Airport.

A place with thousands of stories.

The last place someone land their feet at before flying right above the clouds, and the first place someone land their feet at after being away from their family. Stories of million people who come from numerous places for a simple adventure, or they who comeback and seek for the warmth of a home.

That day, Taemin was there for something which has been a part of the airport since long time ago.

A goodbye.

Taemin's legs were heavy as he forced them to keep on walking. His right hand was being held by Minho while both Jonghyun and Onew walked ahead of them.

People were crowding the airport. They walked here and there with their luggages and bags. Happy face, excited face, sad face until depressed face were everywhere.

"Is Key really leaving?" Taemin asked softly.

Minho turned his head toward Taemin before smiled sadly and nodded. "He is."

"Why all of sudden?" Taemin felt his voice started to tremble.

"It's not so sudden actually..." Minho sighed. "We have known it from a week ago. Key's dad was the one who asked him to go."

"I don't know why... But I feel like this is my fault." Taemin whispered.

"No, of course not." Minho shook his head. "Key himself had told me, maybe he needs a little escape. A short get-away to clear his mind. He also couldn't go against his dad."

Taemin bit his lower lip. "But still..."\

"It's Key!"

Onew's voice stole Taemin and Minho's attention. He was pointing at someone from far.

Taemin narrowed his eyes as he examined the figure with his back on them.

Key.

The boy was wearing a beanie, thick warm clothes, long jeans and sneakers. He was busily moving his bags away.

"Key-ah!" Onew and Jonghyun shouted.

Key turned his head toward them, and Taemin suddenly stopped walking. He hid himself on Minho's back as they approached Key.

"Hi!" Key grinned and stared at his friends one by one. His smile died when he saw Taemin there.

"Hi!" Onew said with a wide smile. "Where's your parents?"

"T-they are going to t-toilet..." Key stuttered without

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter