chapter 40 - dream

The Ugly Twin.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Myungsoo-ah~"

The thin boy on the hospital bed turned his head toward the voice's direction. Jongin was standing on the door with super big smile.

"Jongin hyung!" Myungsoo's face immediately went two times brighter than before.

Jongin took light steps toward Myungsoo's bed. "How are you today?"

"Good!" Myungsoo nodded his head happily. "How about you, hyung?"

"Hyung too." Jongin smiled while nodding his head. "Where is your hyung?"

"Hyung went home to grab some fresh clothes." Myungsoo replied.

Since Myungsoo handed him the letter of donation, Sunggyu had never left his side anymore. Back then, Sunggyu would sometimes leave Myungsoo for a short lunch break with his friends or sometimes he would sleep at their house. But now, the sharp-eyed boy decided to spend the whole of his free time with Myungsoo.

Myungsoo once again felt he was a burden for Sunggyu. Worse than before.

"I have never gotten a chance to talk to your brother." Jongin pursed his lips. "He looked so busy."

Myungsoo let out a small sad smile and nodded. "He's busy, hyung."

"You looked a little thin. You lost weight again?" Jongin extended his hand to brush off a few bangs that fell on Myungsoo's forehead.

Myungsoo broke into a grin. "No, hyung. Don't worry."

"You should eat more..." Jongin frowned then opened the plastic bag that he brought to take out a box from inside.

"What's that?" Myungsoo rounded his eyes cutely.

"Macaroon." Jongin replied while revealing colorful round sweets inside of the box. "I am in a really good mood today, so I baked them this morning."

"It's pretty~" Myungsoo went excited.

"This pastel strawberry one, is strawberry cheesecake." Jongin explained while pointing at the pink pastel macaroon. "While this, it's oreo."

There were total 5 flavors inside of the box. Strawberry cheesecake, oreo, matcha, lemon, and taro.

"Here, pick one." Jongin said while offering the macaroons to Myungsoo.

"Thank you, hyung!" Myungsoo sang while taking the matcha macaroon. He took a bite of it and widened his eyes.

"Omo, hyung! It's so delicious!"

Jongin broke into wide smile when he saw Myungsoo's delighted expression. "Really?"

"Unbeliavable!" Myungsoo took another bite. "It's so moist, feeling like eating a cloud. Hmmm, this is really good!"

Jongin then offered Myungsoo all the macaroons there and the pale kid took them with happy smile.

"It's so yummy, yummy and pretty!" Myungsoo sighed after he gulped down his oreo macaroon. He glanced at the leftover taro, strawberry cheesecake and lemon. "It looks like rainbow..."

Jongin raised his eyebrows. "Rainbow?"

"Rainbow." Myungsoo repeated while staring at the macaroons. "So colorful like rainbow."

Jongin smiled when he saw twinkle in Myungsoo's eyes. "Have you ever seen rainbow with your own eyes, Myungsoo-ah?"

Myungsoo turned his head toward Jongin and shook his head. "I've never seen one..."

"Me neither..." Jongin sighed. "It's quite hard to see rainbows when we live in such a big city."

"I really want to see the real rainbow even just once." Myungsoo smiled. "I want to see rainbows in Jeju island."

Jongin stopped and stared at Myungsoo. "Jeju?"

"Hyung, have you ever went there?" Myungsoo asked.

"Oh, well..." Jongin bit his lower lip. "Just once, when I was a kid."

"I've never been there before." Myungsoo smiled sadly. "And I wish, one day I can go there."

Jongin didn't tear his eyes away from Myungsoo. He could clearly see the sad expression on the kid's face. Jongin's heart clenched painfully when he saw that.

The two fell into silence for a few seconds before Myungsoo let out a grin.

"I'm being emotional. Hihi, sorry hyung. I will just eat the macaroons." Myungsoo smiled while extending his fingers to grabbed one. But his palm accidentally knocked the rest of macaroon and they fell to his left side.

"Ah!" Myungsoo gasped.

"That's okay, it doesn't fall to the floor." Jongin smiled. "You are too energized!"

Myungsoo grinned and moved his right hand to take the macaroon, but he couldn't reach them.

Jongin stared at the boy's hand for a second.

Something's weird.

Jongin's eyes then shifted to Myungsoo's left hand which was laid helplessly on his left side.

Eh?

"Myungsoo?" Jongin called for the small boy softly.

"Yes, hyung?"

"What's wrong with your hand?"

Myungsoo averted his gaze to his left hand, immediately knowing what Jongin referred to but putting his best innocent face. "Hand?"

Jongin stared at Myungsoo for a while, then down to Myungsoo's left hand.

Myungsoo's right hand succeded to grab the macaroon's box. He pulled it closer to him before flashing Jongin his best smile. "Yeay!"

Jongin just stared at Myungsoo without saying anything. Questions flooded his mind, making him go crazy of guessing what was actually happening to Myungsoo.

"This is so delicious, hyung." Myungsoo hummed happily. "You seriously have to open a bakery!"

Jongin immediately broke into a wide grin. "Should I?"

"You should!" Myungsoo nodded while popping another macaroon into his mouth. "I've never, never ever ate a macaroon as good as this!"

Jongin nodded his head. "It's my dream."

"Hyung's dream?" Myungsoo repeated. "To open a bakery? Hyung's dream?"

"My dream." Jongin repeated. "But it's not possible anymore."

Myungsoo fell into silence. His hand which was holding the half bitten macaroon hang on the air, frozen.

"That's okay, though." Jongin sighed. "I will bake as much cakes as I could before I die."

Myungsoo still didn't let out any response. He unconciously tightened his hold on the macaroon he was holding, almost crushing it.

"What about Myungsoo?" Jongin asked while smiling. "What's your dream?"

Myungsoo just stared into Jongin's wide and bright clear eyes, as if seeking the hidden feeling there. His lips moved a little before let out a word.

"I want to be a..."

Krieet...

The sound of door being opened startled both Myungsoo and Jongin. They turned their head to find Sunggyu was standing there with a suitcase on his right hand.

Sunggyu was surprised to see Jongin in the room. In a second, Myungsoo's words echoed inside of his head.

 

"It's just a month to go, hyung. Or maybe weeks. You see, I can't even move my left hand anymore."

"I can't be cured. I will die, hyung."

 

Sunggyu's left eyebrows furrowed. He couldn't help but dislike Jongin's face right after Myungsoo voiced out his wish to help the tanned guy.

"A-annyeonghaseyeo." Jongin immediately stood up and bowed his body.

Sunggyu replied with an awkward nod before averted his gaze toward Myungsoo.

Myungsoo stared back at his hyung in silence.

"What are you doing here?"

Jongin winced at the coldness of Sunggyu's voice. Jongin also could sense something wrong when he gazed onto Sunggyu's eyes.

Myungsoo widened his eyes as well, confused with his brother's change of tone. Sunggyu always speaks in soft tone, polite words. That was the first time Sunggyu spoke like that.

"I-," Jongin bit his lower lip. "-, j-just visiting Myungsoo."

Sunggyu glanced at Myungsoo before back to Jongin. "I'm sorry, but Myungsoo needs to take a nap now. He needs a lot of rest in order to recover soon."

Myungsoo's mouth parted open. What happened to his friendly hyung?

Jongin awkwardly stood up and bowed again. "A-ah, I'm sorry... Then... I'll be leaving."

Sunggyu's eyes followed Jongin's movement to leave the room.

"But..." Myungsoo extended his hand toward Jongin's direction weakly.

Jongin glanced at him and let out a small smile. "Rest well, Myungsoo-ah!"

With that, the tanned boy opened the door and walked outside.

Once Jongin was out of his view, Myungsoo immediately turned to see his brother. "Hyung, what was that for?"

"You need to get rest, and that boy is disturbing you."

"No, he didn't disturb me at all!" Myungsoo shook his head. "Hyung, you were too harsh to Jongin hyung!"

"Go to sleep, Myungsoo." Sunggyu said while putting his luggage on the sofa.

Myungsoo stared at his hyung's back before opened his mouth. "Is this because of the donation thing?"

Sunggyu tensed once he heard the word 'donation'.

Oh, no.

Please don't say that.

"Did you act mean because of that hyung?" Myungsoo asked again, forcing Sunggyu to answer.

"Go to sleep, Myungsoo." Sunggyu replied coldly.

"HYUNG!"

"GOD DAMN IT! GO ING SLEEPING, KIM MYUNGSOO!"

Myungsoo jumped in his place at his brother's sudden loud voice. Within a second, fresh tears flew down from his eyes.

Once he saw the tears, Sunggyu immediately softened. He rushed toward Myungsoo's bed and pulled the younger into a hug. "I-, I'm sorry Myungsoo. I... I didn't mean to... Shout at you."

Myungsoo sobbed when he felt the protective arms of his brother wrapped around him.

Sunggyu ran his fingers throughout Myungsoo's hair. He silently cursed himself from losing patience so easily infront of his brother. He couldn't help it. Sunggyu had been stressing out too much lately.

"I-it, it's not J-jongin's hyung wish..." Myungsoo shook his head. "H-hyung doesn't f-force me to donate m-my heart. I-it's my o-own will..."

Sunggyu fell into silence as he listened to what Myungsoo was saying.

"I-, I w-want to d-do it..." Myungsoo raised his head and met Sunggyu's demanding eyes.

"Why do you want to do that?" Sunggyu asked in trembling voice. "Don't you...? Don't you think about hyung too? I don't want to lose you, Myungsoo-ah... I don't want to..."

Myungsoo closed his eyes as tears rolled down his cheeks. "Hyung... I'm sorry..."

"I will give you everything, Myungsoo... Even if I have to donate my last breath for you, I will do it! I can't live without you..." Sunggyu cried out.

"Hyung..." Myungsoo whimpered. "I'm sorry..."

Sunggyu tightened his hug around Myungsoo's frail body. They stayed in that position for minutes, before they calmed down from their cries.

"Hyung..." Myungsoo called out.

"Hmm?" Sunggyu replied softly.

"What's your dream?"

Sunggyu's eyebrows knitted. "Dream?"

"Dream." Myungsoo nodded. "What's your dream?"

"My dream..." Sunggyu stared at Myungsoo. "...to see you get healed."

Myungsoo let out a bitter smile. "No, not that one. Another one."

Sunggyu stared at Myungsoo for a while. He kept on thinking about Myungsoo's health for almost a full year already. He had forgotten all the dreams he previously had.

Myungsoo waited patiently as his brother stared into nothing before shook his head.

"I don't have any." Sunggyu said. "Why are you asking this?"

"No..." Myungsoo replied while playing with his blanket.

"You've been thinking too much." Sunggyu said while patting Myungsoo's head. "Time for you to get rest."

"Hyung."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter