6-Studying Alex?

Math Saved My Love Life!

 (Kyuhyun POV)


I pressed the arrow on the elevator and waited for a door to open. I took the last bite of my pear before throwing it into the trash, but then heard my stomach growling again.

Do you know what I really hate about going to a university? That you barely have enough money to eat! Aish, yes, the rich Cho Kyuhyun has no food! It’s probably because my dad called me fat and lazy and told me to get a job while he only gives me $2,000 a month to spend on things like food, clothing and rent. Rent is already $900 per month, and paying for the electricity, water, and cable bill is around…$500, so I only have $600 to spend for myself. Fun, isn’t it? Did I mention my insureance for my car? That’s another $300 down the drain. Now, since food it around...Let's say a hundred a week, how am I suppose to survive? I'm a man. While my metabolism is high, I must take advantage of this.

The elevator dinged open making me almost immediately smile once I saw Chae in it. Is this Christmas? Is this my wonderful present? ‘Cause I'm happy/ I looked at Chae noticing that she was wearing a brown summer dress while a blue and white ed shirt covered her shoulders. She was wearing nerdy black rimmed glasses while her hair was in adorable pigtails with a headband that had a light blue ribbon on top.

“Sunbae.” she politely bowed.

“Chae? What are you doing here?” I asked her, obviously confused, yet so happy to see her.

She beamed, “I was checking up on Alex. I didn’t see her last night so I was kinda worried that she was kidnapped on her way home.”

"Wait, what? I'm sorry, please repeat that again."

She shook her head, “Nothing, I guess she was probably still at the Café or something.”

“Oh no, I drove her home and we went out to eat together.”

“Eh? Really? You eating with Alex?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Wait, so she ate in front of you?”

“…Yeah…? Why?”

“Because you two just met.”

“…Yes? And?”

“She never does that to people she meets at first. What did you do to make her eat?”

I paused for a moment, “Um…I guess we clicked since she just ate in front of me.”

Chae stared at me, then soon nodded, “I see… Anyways, I gotta go sunbae! It was nice seeing you again!” she waved before leaving.

I looked at her figure that was leaving. “Does she come here often?” I thought before walking into the elevator. I pressed the 5, resting my back against the elevator wall.

If Chae comes here often…Then is that why Alex agreed for me to tutor her at her place? I mean, any normal girl would say “A-Ani!” but…Eh, maybe I’m not the first guy at her apartment! Maybe there are other people in her apartment? I don’t even know. I felt that smile fall across my face. She should dress up more like a nerd more often…It’s so cute…

Once I got out of the elevator, I looked around for room 503. Once I found the place, I knocked on the door thrice, waiting for the door to open.

The door opened, I looked up and saw Alex at the door, “Sunbae, come in!” she nervously said, moving to the side so that I could come in. I looked at her small officetel.

The first place you would come into would be the hallway, on the right side in the same hallway would be a kitchen space, on the left side was two doors, one was the bathroom while one was for an office of such. In her kitchen space, her stove was right above her washer, but she had no dryer for some reason. There were a few cups shown, and the plates might be under those cupboards.

Then once you got out of the hallway it was the small living room. There was a desk right next to the kitchen, as you walked more, there was a mini couch that she had probably bought at a thrift store, a coffee table in front of it with a 16 inch flat screen TV on the other side. There was this huge window right there, as in…I can’t even explain it, but it was just right there acting as if it was part of the wall along with its windowsill. On the windowsill were books. On the walls were full of Batman, K-pop, Hello Kitty and well…Just random things. I mean, do you think Batman and Hello Kitty go together?

“Is it okay if I look around?” I asked, curious to look at her dorm since it was…interesting…

She stared at me, but then nodded. “Y-yes Sunbae! Go ahead!”

I turned around and noticed a staircase. No, it wasn’t those huge apartment complexes, it was a small stairway. I walked up the stairs, but found myself crouching over to be able to get on the floor. As her upstairs, it was just space, no doors, no nothing. There was her bed, a plastic drawer full of her pants and…undergarments and several posters of Powerpuff girls and Japanese animes such as “Skip Beat!” There was also a bookshelf near the edge that mostly had her college books or her mangas with a few cooking books, a bible, DVDs (Anime, movies, cartoon series) and some other stories that are from “Reluctant Demon Diaries” series by Rio (I have a friend named Siwon that loves those books! He’s this HUGE Christian guy who use to be part of Super Junior ’05 before becoming an actor.)

I got downstairs and walked back into the hallway, slide one door open and saw a huge basket…Full of women wear…Looking away, I turned my attention to the other things in the room. Ahh, this must be her art room. I saw paint in the basket in a huge variety of colors and several paint brushes. I noticed a sketchbook, and grabbed it to see everything in it. Surprisingly, she used Chae and that one guy that I saw in the café yesterday as her models a lot whenever she drew people, the rest of the drawings were American cartoons, Disney movies, or animes. I noticed Shakugan no Shana, Skip Beat, Zero No Tsukaima, Special A and Kitchen Princess. (My sister reads those girly mangas so that’s how I know.)

I got out of the art room and went into her bathroom. The top parts of the walls were a light blue color while the bottom parts of the walls were covered in blue and dark blue tiles. She had a hello kitty toilet seat on her toilet. There was a sill above her sink where she kept her toothbrush, oatmeal (I don’t know why either, because she gets hungry on the toilet?) and hair ties all over.

I walked out and finally noticed what she looked like today. Her short brown hair was in two tiny pony tails, she was wearing an oversized brown buttoned shirt that was ed until halfway showing the white tank top she had underneath, and lastly long dark blue jeans to cover up her legs. In other words, she looked more dressed up than me who was just wearing a knit sweater vest with a blue and white plaid shirt underneath. “Should we start now?” I asked her, walking to her couch, falling down, possibly throwing my bag on the floor.

“Y-yeah.” She nodded, following me on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 “Let’s walk the walk. Suppose we know the equation for the circumference and what to find the area. Make a circle and fill it in, then draw a bunch of rings with a thick marker. The amount of area should be the same in each case, right? And how much space does a ring use?”

“…The size of a marker?”

I sighed, “Anyways, the very largest ring has a radius and a circumference 2 pi r. As the rings get smaller, their circumference shrinks, but it keeps the pattern of 2 pi current radius. The final ring is like a pinpoint, with no circumference at all.”

She nodded, while working out the problem. I looked at her as she gave me the correct answer. “Is that right sunbae?”

I looked at Alex while smiling, “Congrats Alex! You got them right!”

Her eyes widened as she suddenly hugged me, “Thank you soo much.”

I chuckled, gently pushing her away, “We’ll learn more tomorrow.” I smiled at her.

She nodded, “Seriously, thank you so much Sunbae.” she beamed, resting her head on the table. “Aigo, my brain is fried now!”

“Yay! That means you’re paying attention!”

She pouted her lips, “I sure do hope so.” I closed my books and started to put them into my bag. “Ah! Sunbae! About me helping out you with Chae, I want to see how much you love her!”

“Eh?” I asked, obviously confused by her statement.

“You’re acting as if I should give you my best friend so easily!” she pouted, then grinned, “So Mr. Cho! Are you ready for the test?”

“Test?”

“How many girls have you dated?” she started

Without thinking, I blurted out,“Five,”

“How many times have you been kissed?”

“What?”

“Answer if you want Chae or not!”

“By two of my five girlfriends!”

“How many girls have held your hand?”

“Counting my family?”

“No, no blood relation at all!”

“Then…Seven probably…”

She stared at me, “Why do you want Chae anyways?”

I thought for a moment, blushing at the thought. “I like her because she’s a sweetheart…Every morning, it’s as if I need it, she would go, ‘Good Morning Sunbae!’ she would sit next to me during class at times making my heart skip a thousand times faster.” I chuckled for a moment, “The times where she would hold my hand whenever she wants me somewhere, when I tutor her, her leg would occasionally brush mine.”

I could feel Alex’s stare while I looked down in pure embarrassment.

To change the situation, I said, “Alex, did you hear about the fair? Do you wanna go with me?”

She kept on staring at me, “Sure, but…Can I make a call first?” she awkwardly asked.

I sighed, resting my back against the couch. You did again Cho Kyuhyun! This was exactly the way Siwon found out that you liked Chae! One little thing that someone says about Chae, you just start saying things about Chae!

 “Hello, Chae?” Alex started, my ears perked up. “Later, can you come to my job at around…9-ish? There was some fair that Kyuhyun sunbae told me about, but I’m nervous to go alone with him.”

I smiled at Alex, “Thank you!”

“No, not as a date, he just didn’t want to go alone, and I thought it would be rude to refuse him since he was teaching me math! So…Could you please come with us?”

I stared at Alex who would take occasional glances at me; she then closed her phone after saying “Alright” to Chae.

“So? What’d she say?” I nervously asked her.

Alex looked at me and smiled, “She said yes!”

I immediately jumped out of my chair, “EH?!”

She nodded, “Congrats Kyuhyun Sunbae! You just got a date with Chae!”

I pretty much ran and hugged her, “Thank you so much!” I smiled, hugging her tightly.

She patted my back, “No problem Mr. Cho!” she laughed.

I pulled away, “Is what I’m wearing okay?”

She looked at me, “Do you wanna change into jeans? I think I have my brother’s jeans that could fit you.”

“Sure, that sounds great!” I beamed. She went upstairs and threw a pair of jeans down along with a plain black blazer. I put on the blazer, then started to my pants before I heard a, “THIS ISN’T YOUR HOUSE! GO TO THE BATHROOM OR ELSE I’M GONNA SEE SOMETHING THAT WOULD CORRUPT MY MIND!”

Oh right…I’m not at home…

“Sorry!” I yelled, running into the bathroom to change my pants. I ran back out to find Alex sitting on the couch, “Alright, so when do you go to work?”

“At 6.”

I looked at the clock…It’s only 4PM….

“Damn it.” I cursed under my breath.

“Sunbae, do you want me to make you food?” she asked, sitting up, “I think I can spare kimchi fried rice and spam!”

“Sure, if you don’t mine.” I replied while sitting down.

“You can find a movie up on the bookshelf!” she said, “I have tons!”

But they’re mostly cartoons like the justice league or something…

“So are they cartoons that you use to reference for your sketches?” I asked her.

She beamed, nodding. “Yeap! It’s cheaper that way since I can barely afford anything right now.”

“Ahh, I see, so how many sketch books do you have?”

“Six or seven, per year.”

“Really? Then can I see them then?” I asked her, “I barely looked at one, but they were really amazing!”

She was practically glowing at my comment, “S-sure!” she smiled, turning to her art room. I waited for her to walk out, “Here” she said handing me 7 books.

“Sit down with me.”

“But I have to cook.”

“We can eat at the café.” I suggested. She looked at me and obeyed, sitting right next to me.

I started to turn the pages, complimenting at how good her art work was which would make her blush and mumble a small “Thanks” or “You’ve been saying thing that for so long.” but even though she would murmer that, I couldn’t stop.  Her talent was to amazing, yet she was going to waste it? No way, people would die for this kind of talent.

Once we were done Alex said that she had assignments to do, so she was at her desk typing away on her mac while I was upstairs trying to pick out a movie. Popeye sounds like a good movie right?. I could hear her flip her books over and over and over again, then rapidly type even though I was a good 4 or 5 yards from her. I looked at her for a second and saw her listening to a recorder, possibly trying to write notes from a professor’s lectures. She stood up, pacing in front of her hallway while repeating the notes to herself out loud. I couldn’t help but find all this interesting; I mean…I’ve never seen someone so…So into their studies before! Sure, we’ve all studied like crazy before, but not like Alex.

I guess all the rumors about the studyholic she is IS true.

“Darn it!” she sighed, looking at her flashcards. “Atomic Mass is the total mass of protons, neutrons and electrons in a single atom” she repeated to herself. She then walked up and down the stairs repeating to herself what the periodic table was and how they were grouped.

I mean, sure, college is hard, but why is she killing herself over this? For all I know, most college students just play around, party, and have fun! It’s a free day, a Saturday! Shouldn’t she sit around, watch TV or something?

She left for the bathroom, I went to her computer and noticed an unopened document that was titled, “Renaissance report” I clicked on the bar to see it say “Page 16”

“Are these notes or is this really the report?” I muttered to myself.

“Ah, Sunbae! Are you hungry yet?” she asked, opening her mini fridge.  I stared at her, not knowing what to say. She opened one of her cabinets and pulled out a bag of spicy seaweed. “It’s really good! Have you tried it yet?”

I nodded, “Thanks” I quietly replied, going back to the couch. I went back to the couch and sat down. Possibly half an hour later, I found myself paying attention to her rather than the TV. I mean, if you just saw the way she was studying/working, then you would understand why. Going up and down the stairs, pacing in the hallway, making coffee so she could stay awake while remembering tables and theories, those things were interesting to me.

“So…” I started, trying to distract her from her studying.

She jolted a bit, turning around to look at me. “Sunbae! I forgot you were here for a second!” she awkwardly laughed.

I stared at her, “What do you normally do on your Saturdays?”

“Study, write reports, that such.”

“Why?”

“Because there’s nothing else for me to do until I have work!”

“Then why don’t you work full time on Saturdays?”

“Then I wouldn’t have enough time to study.” She grinned, “I need all the time I can possibly have in order to remember everything!”

…Does this girl have a life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! :D I'm gonna try to write as much as I can, but I have homework and projects to work on, so I'm not sure when the next update is, but hopefully somewhere between 1 or 2 weeks! :D To all of you that can't understand my discription of Alex's apartment, here's the link of what i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV99f2ikq2k