3-A Secret Is Revealed!

Math Saved My Love Life!

 (Alex POV)


I placed a cup of decaf coffee in front of him who was busy playing starcraft. So far, from the past 2 hours that he’s been here, he’s been stuck on that computer! I mean, how could he play that game for 3 hours straight?! Shouldn’t he use his valuable time doing homework or something? Geez, tt must be nice having such free time.

“Thanks.” He quickly said, taking a sip of that coffee before going back to that game.

Che, he's such a starcraft geek. Man, to think that I thought that Chae had interest in him? No way!

I walked back to the counter to see Henry Lau, my best guy friend/co-worker/cousin busy making coffee. “Henry! What’s the joke of the day?” I asked him.

Henry thought for a bit, “Ah! Two hunters were out in the woods. One collapsed, he doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other man pulls out his phone and calls for emergency service! He gasps to the operator, ‘My friend is dead! What can I do?’ The operator, in a calm, soothing voice replied with, ‘Take it easy, I can help. First, make sure he’s dead. There’s a silence, then a shot was heard. Back on the phone, the hunter said, ‘Okay, now what?’”

I started laughing a little; staring at that geek I call my friend. “Aish! What is with you and dark humor?” I chuckled.

“It’s funnier than nice humor!” Henry shrugged, giving me a plate of coffee, “This is for table 10!”

I nodded and kept taking orders for another hour while giving Kyu some more food so that he wouldn't be kicked out. It was finally 9PM, meaning closing time baby! I changed from my work uniform back into my ordinary clothes. I walked up to the counter to see Henry checking a few things. Once he was done, he smiled at me. 

“Hey Alex,” he started, “just a question, but who’s that guy that you came with?” he asked, pointing to Kyuhyun who was still playing his computer.

“Oh, he’s Kyuhyun Sunbae! He’s one of Chae’s classmates and he’s willing to tutor me in math.”

“Ohh, so when did this tutoring stuff happen?” he asked while grabbing his backpack.

“Today.” I smiled, wanting to change the subject, I asked “So~ did you make sure Chae was safe at home?”

He nodded, “Don’t worry about it! Chae may be the biggest idiot in the world, but she can take care of herself!”

“I sure hope so…” I mumbled.

Henry nodded, “So how’s your brother doing? Is he alright?”

I shrugged, “He’s fine I guess…I just wish his company would take better care of him at times…” I muttered.

Henry patted my shoulder, “It’s fine! Besides, he says he’s okay right? Meaning he’ll live!”

I pinched his cheeks, “I’m gonna check on Kyu Sunbae, is that alright with you?”

Henry nodded, “I'm leaving anyways! I'll see you later okay Korean chick?"

I beamed, "Whatever Canadian nerd!"

And he left...

Aish, that’s Henry for you. My geeky friend/cousin from Canada, but he’s an amazing geek! He fails at Korean though, which gives me and my brother, Donghae, a chance to teach him stupid things in Korean that he doesn’t know about! Like pick-up lines. Yes, we fail as nice friends, but hey! That’s what family members do. We embarrass each other to death but love each other anyways.

I grabbed a plate, putting a piece of bread on it before walking to Kyuhyun who was still playing his games. Placing the plate in front of him, he looked up at me and paused his game. “Is this place going to close soon?”

I nodded my head, “Yep, you're lucky that I've been giving you food for the past 3 hours!”

He scratched the back of his head, “Oh…Have I been playing on the internet for that long?”

“Yes, but its fine, you bought like 3 decafs, an expresso, hot chocolate and a piece of bread…Right?” I eye browed him. I mean, he’s lucky that I’ve been giving him food for the past 3 hours so that he didn’t get kicked out! “Why?” you ask? Because he’s Chae’s friend! Might as well help him, right?

“Eh? R-Right! So how much would that be?” he asked me.

“Around 20 to 30 dollars.”

He nodded, taking out his wallet, then looked at me. "Do you have change for a $50? Or can you take a card?"

"Eh, I don't feel like working the cash register today, so it's on the house today."

"Thanks."

“No problem.” I gave him a small smile, he nodded before taking a sip of his coffee. Then, there was a silence between both of us. I looked at him again who was turning off his computer. “Sunbae-num, don’t you have internet at home?”

He shook his head before looking up,“I had to cut it off since I paid more attention to Starcraft then my studies, so I haven’t played this game in so long.”

“Then how do you do your research for school and such?”

“I do them all in the library.” he said, turning his computer off.

I was shocked, “Seriously? I need to take my computer everywhere to do all this university crap.” 

“Why? What classes do you have?”

“I have Calculus 2, Art studio, English 2, Chemistry and that’s pretty much it.” I shrugged.

He nodded, “So what do you plan on doing once you graduate college?”

I thought for a bit, “At first I wanted to be a nurse, but I realized I couldn’t take it since I saw so much death and blood. So now I really want to be an artist since I’ve been painting since I was little, but I don’t know where to go with it.” I sighed, remembering my shattered artistic dreams.

Yes, call me a whimp all you want, but can you blame me? Artists barely make money. That's a fact. Some never even get known until after their death while others just die being unknown and poor. Vincent Van Go wasn't famous while he was alive! He was a creep! What kind of person would send a girl an ear to tell them that they loved them? Gross, right?

“What do you mean by that?” he questioned, breaking my chain of thought.

“It’s just that…If you think about, how could I sell my art in the street when possibly no one would buy it? People have diffrent tastes, so they probably won't buy my artwork."

“Come on, dream a little.” he said, "Sure, making money as an artist is hard, but what dream is easy to achieve? So just live it! Do you what you want! You know, Disney has been saying that for a long time." 

I chuckled, “I am, that’s why I want to be an English teacher.” I grinned, “I watched these foreign couple on youtube, and they’re so adorable! Plus they seem really happy with their job.”

“Can I see your artwork one day?”

I looked at him, blushing a bit. I mean, I'm suprised that he asked for my art. Whenever I tell someone that I draw, they just nod their head going, "Oh, I see..."

“I have a few on my phone.” I said, grabbing my cellphone out, I clicked around trying to find the pictures. Once I did, I handed him the phone.

He looked at them, then at me, “These are really amazing! You should become an artist. Defiantly an artist.” 

I looked at him, being flustered by his compliment. “They’re not as good as others…”

“No, they’re better than others! I’ve seen so much art work that I can tell which is good or bad, and this is certainly amazing!”

“I guess, but I wouldn’t know who to go to when I need a job.”

“My mom works at an art academy; she’s the head there, so I could arrange a meeting for you two.” he said, "I could convince her to put a few of your artworks at the school for people to look at."

My eyes widened, as I stared at him, “Wait, what?”

“I said I’ll help you with your job for Art."

Are you kidding me? This guy whom I haven’t known for more than a day is already giving me a chance to actually live my dream? Aigo, why isn’t this guy dating Chae? He’s amazing! He’s nice, he’s considerate, and well…He’s just too amazing! I can’t believe that I just met him only a few hours ago! (Pwahaha, so diffrent from what I said earlier.)

“R-really?” I asked him once more to confirm this was real. (Someone, pinch me, please!)

“Yes really.” He grinned, giving me back my phone.

“B-but you’re doing so much when we first met.”

He shook his head, “It’s fine. If you’re Chae’s friend, then you're trustworthy.” he looked around the shop, “Wow, did this place get empty?”

I looked around the shop, “No, it’s just that no one really comes at 9 for coffee.”

He nodded, “I see…”

“Ah! Kyuhyun sunbae, can I have your phone number so that I can contact you whenever I need help?”

“Oh, well…” he grabbed his Iphone from his pocket, touching it a few times before handing it to me, “You can put your number on my phone and I’ll do the same on yours.”

Nodding, I put my phone to the “Add Contacts” information, giving him the phone. He took it while giving me his phone.

“Oh wait, I’m sorry, but what’s your name again?” he asked while looking at me.

I blinked for a bit, “Oh, I’m Alex Lee.”

He nodded, “Sorry, I’m bad at remembering names.”

“It’s fine” was all I said before I pressed the save button. I pressed the big button on the bottom and then looked at the background on his iphone. I looked up back to Kyuhyun. “Sunbae…” 

He looked up, “Yes~?”

“Do you like Chae or something?”

He froze, his eyes widened as he started stuttering, “Why do you s-say that?”

“Because you have Chae as your background on your phone.” I said, showing him his phone. He grabbed his phone and stared at it, then back at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm enjoying writing this! ^^ It's so romancy! xD