4-Getting To Know Each Other

Math Saved My Love Life!

(Kyuhyun POV)


CRAP! I DIDN’T CHANGE IT?!

Alex continued to stare at me. I awkwardly laughed, “It's not what you think! My friend did that since he thought that she was my girlfriend!” Good job Kyu! You're lying like a smooth criminal!

“Then why didn’t you change it?”

“He changed it earlier today and I didn’t have enough time to change it because of classes.”

“Then why were you hesitating and stuttering earlier?”

At this moment, I wanted to bang my head on the wall. WHY MUST THIS GIRL NOTICE THE SMALLEST THINGS I DO?! I mean, I knew girls notice the smallest things, BUT NOT LIKE THIS! Is she a detective or something? Noticing the smallest clue there is?

I lowered my head, not saying a word. I knew Alex was still staring at me, but what could I do? Tell her that I like her best friend? No way! She’d think I was a weirdo or something! I mean, I only met the girl earlier today, but to tell her one of my biggest secrets that my best friend doesn’t even know?

“It’s fine if you like her” she sighed, breaking the awkward silence that was rising in the café, “I’m willing to help if you want.”

I immediately looked up, “E-eh?”

She stared at me with a blank expression. Her huge brown eyes just staring at me, “You and Chae, at first glance, you two look cute together. Plus I noticed you taking your jacket off earlier to make it her temporary blanket, so I should’ve guessed it just by looking at your situation then.” She muttered, putting her head on her arms which was on the table while she was still staring at me.

I looked around to see that no one was in the coffee shop. “W-where are the people that work here?”

“Some of them left since we close at 9:30” she replied, I looked at the time. It was already 10.

“Then we should both leave.” I suddenly grabbed my book bag.

She grabbed my wrist to stop me, “I’m serious, I’ll help you.” her face soon lighted up as she smiled, “If, of course, you make my lessons cheaper.”

I paused for a moment just to stare at her, “Why would you help me? You just met me today.” I told her, obviously confused at her kind gesture.

“Well…You said you were gonna give me a job with your mom if I were to pursue art, and you’re helping me in math—So you’re doing so much for me already. Shouldn’t I help you in something little?” she asked, “I mean, I’m the kind of person that would love to repay people back."

“Is that your real reason?” I asked, shocked at how nice she was of a person to a guy that she met just hours ago.

Alex gave a sheepish smile, “That…And I need Chae to stop distracting me, telling me that I need a life every single time she sees me in the library."

I looked at Alex, wondering whether or not to trust her or not. She placed her elbow on the table, resting her cheek on the palm of her hands.

“If you don’t agree, then it’s fine. I won’t tell her anything." She shugged, I sighed in relief. "But!" Of course there's be a but in this. "That doesn’t mean I would stop her whenever she finds interest in another guy.” She continued, “So you’re at a lost here if you reject my offer of help.”

My eyes widened, “What?”

She smirked to hear my sudden interest. “Chae’s a big girl, she can find another guy really quickly because of her looks.” She said, “Gorgeous face, nice chest, perfect skin, adorable personality, who wouldn’t love that? Besides, I have a big say in who she dates at times.

“Eh?”

“She’s pretty much my best friend; She listens to my advice, and asks me if she should date the right guy or not. So what do you say Mr. Cho? Yes or no?”

“If I agree, what do you want?” was my instinct question.

“Lessen the price on my tutoring payment.” was the first thing she said.

“Eh?” I asked, surprised that she would ask for such a simple thing when she’s pretty much helping me set myself up with her best friend.

“Instead of $20, please make it $10 an hour.”

I stared at her, “Seriously?”

She looked at me and nodded, “I barely have enough money for myself to eat! Why do you think I’m so skinny? I use to be 170 pounds before I went to college! So please lesson the price!”

I looked at her body, 170 pounds? On her? I kept on staring at her who was waiting for my reply. “Alright, deal. But I’m expecting you to fulfill your promise.”

She nodded, “Don’t worry Sunbae! I’m an honest person, 100% honest!” she said raising her right hand.

“I see…” I quietly said before getting out of the seat, “Any who, let’s leave.”

She nodded, following me to my car, and once we got inside of my car, I drove her home. We were stuck in another awkward silence.

Great Kyuhyun, great!  You’ve barely known this girl for less than a day, but you already let her know that you have this huge crush on Chae! Your best friend didn’t even know that you liked her until you told him last week! AISH! Cho Kyuhyun, you idiot!

“Hey Kyuhyun…” Alex started, breaking my chain of thought. I turned to look at her who was staring blankly at the road again while holding her book bag. “How long have you known Chae?”

“For 6 months already.”

It was silent for another 2 minutes. Did I say something wrong? What do I do? URGH! This girl is making me feel awkward!

“And yet she still calls you Sunbae?” she broke the silence.

“What’s wrong with that?” I asked, confused at her tone which seemed to be surprised.

“Well…It’s cause Chae usually…Instead of Sunbae, she says ‘oppa’ to a guy after a month of knowing each other.”

Frowning, I looked at her, “Really? Because when I told her to call me that, she told me that she wasn’t use to calling me that when we’ve known each other for 2 months.”

She pursued her lips, “Aish…That’s weird…” she mumbled.

I pulled my hair back, stopping in front of a stop light. “You know, don’t you find it funny that we’ve only known each other for less than a day, but yet we found out so much about each other? Like you finding out my little crush while I found out about your amazing artwork.” I told her, turning my attention to her.

She looked at me, her lips curling into a smile, “Kinda like a blind date?”

“Yes, but you’re helping me get Chae, so let’s find another way to name what we are.”

There was a moment of silence, this time, lasting 30 seconds.

“Then, we met because of fate?”

My brow rose as I turned to look at her, “I'm sorry?”

Ah, how could I forget? Whenever you meet someone, and get to know them, then you were fated to know them since how else were you to meet them when there are millions of other people in the world? I mean, Alex and I, we've barely known each other within a day, so she must be an angel or something! That's right. It has to do with something along those lines, right? There must be no other way.

Alex sighed, resting her back against the chair, “Well, if you think about it, we met because of Chae, but I’m gonna help you hook up with Chae. So we met because you’re supposed to be with Chae.”

I looked at her, “You have a strange way with words dongsaeng.”

She shrugged her shoulders, “People say that a lot. But, it could be true.”

I looked at her, then turned my attention at the stop light that had turned green. “So Alex, tell me about yourself.” I said, wanting to change this subject as I stepped on my acceleration pedal.

“Like?” 

“Anything is fine.”

She thought for a moment, “Well…I was born and raised in Mokpo to a taxi driver and a mom that worked at home plus. My brother is Donghwa and Donghae. Ah, and Donghae’s that soccer player for the 2010 world cup game!”

My eyes widened, as I almost sweved out of the lane. Alex screamed a little bit, but I didn’t care! “EH!? THAT Lee Donghae?!” I yelled. “The pop idol turned soccer player?”

“Yeap! That’s the brother I’m so proud of!” she smiled, hugging her book bag even closer.  “Although, I really wished he had stayed a celebrity even longer, but oh well…Can’t help what entertainment company you were in!” she grumbled words that went along the lines of, “Even though he trained like crazy for years to only get 3 months of debut.”

“MAN! It was because of him that Korea won the cup this year!” I sighed in respect, “You must be so proud of your brother.”

“I really am! I mean, if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have been able to go to Kyung Hee."

"How so?"

"Tuition cost."

“Ahh..." I nodded, "So who are your friends?”  I asked, changing the subject again.

“Chae and Henry Lau.”

“Who’s Henry?”

“The guy I talked to in the coffee shop, the one with the chubby cheeks. He's my cousin."

“Ah…I see, and I thought you were dating the guy.”

“Well, we’re not blood related, so we could. BUT, I only see him as a friend, so it’s a big no.”

I nodded, “Okay, so tell me more."

“There’s not much about me, so how about you tell me about yourself?”

I thought for a bit, “Well, I’ve been born and raised in Seoul, my dad's part of the department of education while my mom is the head of an art academy.”

“So...You're from a rich family full of educators."

“Yeah, pretty much."

"That's pretty amazing if you ask me. My parents were poor, and we didn't know much. Heh, I was probably the only one that paid attention to studying thing."

"Really?"

"Eh, I'm a very competitive child. I feel like I should be the kid that gets the top grade in every class. Anyways, enough avout me, let's go more about you."

I smirked, “Well, I’m 23, trying to get my bachelor’s degree in law. Currently single, if that isn’t obvious, I’m not really new to the whole love thing, well…I’ve been dating since my junior year of high school, so yeah, not really new. I’m a Starcraft lover, and…there’s not a lot about me…”

“We’re really boring people aren’t we?”

“Well…I wouldn’t say boring…”

“Oh just admit it. I mean, from what we told each other, we’re pretty bland. I have pretty much no personality while you’re a nerd.”

“Eh, that’s true, but hey, we just met. We’ll get to know each other more as time passes.”

“…I guess.”

Suddenly I heard a loud grumble. I turned to Alex once more to see her hugging her book back closer to her stomach.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, what was what? I didn’t hear anything.” she quickly said as if she was hiding something.

Then the loud grumble came back. It was Alex?

“When did you last eat?” I asked her, putting my eyes back on the road.

“It’s fine, just take me home.” She awkwardly laughed.

“Answer me. When was the last time you ate?” I repeated, she mumbled her answer, “Louder.” I demanded, she mumbled her answer again. “Louder.”

“Lunch…”

“Dear, you’re going to become anorexic if you keep that up.” I told her, and then looked around for a fast food place, “Is McDonalds okay with you?”

“I-It’s fine, you can just take me home.” She mumbled, but then her stomach objected to her decision by screaming in agony.

“Tell me what you want at McDonalds.”

“Sunbae, its fine.”

I turned the car into a McDonalds, parked, pulled the key out and turned to her. “Let’s go.” I said, opening my car door.

“B-but Sunbae! You’ve already done so much for me today!” she rejected, still sitting in the passenger seat with her seat belt on her.

“And? Let’s go, I just wasted gas coming here, so you say no then I’ll be really mad!”

“But I have no money!”

“I’ll pay! I’m from a rich family, $5 a meal for someone isn’t giving out too much.”

She looked at me, than slowly nodded walking out of my car. We both walked into the McDonalds, I told her to buy whatever she wanted, but she disobeyed and only bought fries. So I changed that order into a #1. And if you’re unfamiliar with the McDonald’s menu, then that’s the Big Mac meal.

“Sunbae…” she pouted at me, “I don’t wanna eat in front of you.”

“Make that two #1” I told the cashier. She nodded, “That’ll be $12.50” she told us. I gave her a $20 bill, she handed me my change. I ushered Alex to a seat where she looked as if she was pouting.

“Sunbae, you really didn’t have to do that!”

“Your stomach was screaming earlier, so you’re welcome!”

She was red with embarrassment. “Sir! Your cups!” the cashier said.

“What do you want to drink?” I asked her. She nervously looked up, then started to stand up. “Alex, if you walk and get it then you’ll probably faint!” I looked at her legs, “How long have they been shaking?” I thought. “Tell me what you want to drink or else I’m gonna pick the drink for you and you may or may not like it!” she was silent again, I sighed, “You’re choice.” I told her, walking to get the cups. I got us the same thing, coca-cola. I placed her drink in front of her with the straw in it and everything.

“There, now is that good?” I asked her.

She nodded, “It’s great, thanks sunbae!” she quickly said.

“Aish!” I complained, “You didn’t even drink it yet!”

“But I know it’ll be good since Sunbae chose it!”

This girl is really strange…

“Sir! Your food is ready!” the cashier yelled.

I walked over to the pick up and got our tray of food. I looked at Alex who was drinking her coke; I came towards her and placed the food in front of her. Sitting down with her, I said, “EAT.”

“But sunbae…”

“No buts! I paid for this, so eat!”

She looked at me, handed her burger and fries and then I opened mine. I knew she was staring at me, waiting for me to eat first so I took the biggest bite I could.  I looked at her who was staring at me while holding her Big Mac. I looked at her, then at the sandwich, gesturing her to eat it. She nodded and took a big bite. I smiled, chewing my food. I looked at Alex and was a little surprised that she had finished her first bite and aiming for a second, then a third, then a fourth. All in all, she finished the entire Big Mac before I could finish half of it! She was taking a long sip of her soda while staring at me. I knew what she wanted, she wanted me to finish eating so that she could get to her fries—at least I think so…My sister always does that whenever she’s really hungry, so she could possibly be doing the same thing.

I finished the sandwich in a few more bites while she was still drinking her soda. “Alex and Ara are almost alike.” I thought as I started to drink my soda.  Once I was done, I started to eat the fries as quickly as possible so we could get done and get out of here.

We were finally done eating, I was…dead.

“Sunbae…” Alex started, staring at me, “Thanks for the food!”

“It’s” I breathed, “fine”

“Sunbae, are you okay?” she asked, drinking her coke.

“I’m” breath, “fine”

“Sunbae…”

I slowly got up, grabbing my McDonald’s drink with me, “Let’s go home!”

She nodded, “Yes Sunbae!”

We walked out of McDonalds and into my car. We started to drive to wherever Alex lived. It was silent since I felt like I was going to die due to the Big Mac, but I’d never let her know.

I kept driving around in utter silence until I heard a, “Sunbae, we’re here.”

I turned the car left, into her apartment building, parking somewhere near the door. She got out with her book bag, “Thanks for the ride sunbae!” she bowed.

I gave her a smile, “No problem dongsaeng.”

“Oh, where should we meet in order for you to tutor me?” she questioned.

I looked at her apartment building, “It could be here.”

She stared at me, her cheeks turning red, “B-but…Sunbae…”

“Is there anything wrong with that?”

Shaking her head, she gave me a weak smile, “It’s fine! I-I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“G’night!” I told her before she closed the door. When she walked to her apartment building’s door, she waved once more at me, then into the apartment building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, this is a world where Kyuhyun was never in Super Junior and where Super Junior 05 was ONLY '05! Sad right? D": I can't even imagine that kind of world!