Changing

Don't Be Afraid of Me

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I looked up, standing when I saw L striding through the snow towards me. Jaeshin hovered uncertainly behind me, turning around to tend to Chanyeol.

"Thank you for coming." I murmured, gesturing for L to sit down on a box I had found. He nodded, sitting down, and his clan members moved to stand behind him.

"So...Skye is dead?" L asked, tilting his head to the side and joining his fingertips in a triangle in front of his mouth.

"Shot in the stomach." I said. He nodded, looking down and sighing slightly. L shook his head, meeting my eyes after a few moments of silence.

"I’ll be honest. I don’t know how much I can help you. We can’t bring back the dead." L said, fixing me with his solemn brown eyes.

"I know. But if I can keep her heart beating, can you change her?" I asked. I flexed my hands, sure I could at least pump her heart for long enough for the vampire’s venom to work.

"Yes...but we have to think how ethical this is. We can’t force this life on Skye just because we’re not ready to lose her yet." L said, sitting up straighter and uncrossing his legs, leaning forward.

"But...how is Chanyeol supposed to live without Skye? And how can it be fair for one to die so young?" I said, biting my lip. L nodded slowly, Sunggyu thinking quietly behind him.

"Being a vampire isn’t an easy life. It will be difficult, especially in these changing times." L said. I nodded, knowing I couldn’t force him to do anything, and hoped he would change Skye.

"I’ll do it." L said. I looked up, a small smile forming, but L raised his hand. "On two conditions."

"What is it?" I asked, standing up in my eagerness. Sunggyu watched silently behind L, the other vampires looking between the three of us.

"One, Skye lives with us for at least a year, until she is under control. Two, if Skye is unhappy being a vampire, we can end her existence with no retaliation from the pack." L said, also standing and looking at me levelly.

"You...would kill her?" I asked, feeling my breath leave my chest for a moment. L nodded, closing his eyes.

"If she wished it, yes. I won’t force her to live a miserable existence for all of time." L said. I sighed, realizing he was right, and nodded.

"Alright."

"Good. Show me where she is." L said. I led him over to the truck where Skye was, Sunggyu lifting her body up gently and carrying it in his arms onto the snow outside.

"How does this work?" I asked, watching as the four vampires - L, Sunggyu, Sungyeol and Woohyun - each got on one side of Skye, L and Sunggyu up by her neck.

"You get her heart to pump. We’ll bite her, and you keep her heart pumping. You need to keep her heart moving. If it stops, the vampire venom will destroy her tissues and make it impossible for us to try again." L said, looking up at me. His pale skin matched the snow perfectly, the other vampires waiting for his signal.

"How do we know if it works?" I asked, feeling my nervousness grow.

"The bites will heal, as will the other wounds she has." L said. I nodded, taking a deep breath. I reached deep inside myself for the magic, feeling Jaeshin appear next to me and twine his fingers through mine. He hadn’t been listening to our conversation, but he had wandered over to see what the vampires were doing.

I closed my eyes, reaching my hand out and placing it on Skye’s outstretched hand. Her fingers were cold and I squeezed them tightly, watching as Woohyun grabbed the wrist I was holding and positioned his mouth over it, fangs extended. I closed my eyes, envisioning Skye as she was when she was alive, I remembered what her heartbeat sounded like.

As though my memory had brought it alive, I heard the dull thud of Skye’s heart starting. I focused hard, imagining it pumping strongly, flexing and relaxing. I opened my eyes when I got the hang of it, nodding at L. He leaned forward, sinking his teeth into Skye’s neck at the exact moment Sunggyu did. Woohyun bit Skye’s wrist, Sungyeol taking over her other wrist. I flinched when they bit her, her heartbeat wavering, and L gave me a warning look, his mouth still fixed to her neck.

I snapped my gaze back to Skye’s chest, hearing the heartbeat and making it stronger. Finally, the vampires pulled back, and I kept her heart going. I was just getting the hang of it when the wolf pack burst into the clearing, making me lose my focus.

"Baekhyun!" Tao yelled, running forward. I jerked my head up, forgetting about Skye, and froze when I heard her heart stop.

"Baekhyun! Focus!" L hissed. I nodded, closing my eyes and trying as hard as I could. As much as I struggled, I couldn’t get her heart to start again.

"Move!" Sunggyu shoved me back, leaning forward and beginning to do chest compressions on Skye. I watched as he started CPR, looking down at my shaking hands. I had failed, and Skye would never come back because of it. Sunggyu kept pumping her heart, the other vampires watching anxiously, and I turned to walk away.

"Look!" Jaeshin grabbed my hand, pointing to Skye. The bites were closing slowly, the wound on her stomach and arm fading away.

"It worked?" I asked L in disbelief. Sunggyu sat back, standing up and smiling. I watched as the wounds healed completely, Skye’s skin gaining a slightly more alive color.

"What’s that sound?" L asked, tilting his head to the side. I frowned, doing the same, and my breath caught in my throat when I recognized the steady beat of Skye’s heart.

"Her heart is not supposed to be beating." Sunggyu said, backing away slightly. I looked from L to Sunggyu in confusion.

"What’s going on?" I asked, feeling a prick of anger when L shook his head and started backing away.

"L! What’s going on?! You’re supposed to know what you’re doing!" I yelled, striding forward and my hands in L’s vest. I lifted him up off the ground, quickly getting my legs knocked out from under me by Woohyun.

I dropped L, ignoring Sunggyu’s protective hiss as he stepped in front of his leader. I stepped forward, ready to attack again, but was stopped by Jaeshin’s arm across my chest.

"Baekhyun, stop! Guys, don’t you know?" Jaeshin asked, looking between us with a genuinely confused look on his face.

"Do we know what?" L hissed through his teeth, still glaring at me. I glared back, baring my teeth at him and lunging forward when he leapt towards me. Jaeshin caught us both, slamming us back, surprising me with his boldness.

"Skye isn’t going to turn." Jaeshin said, looking at us like we were crazy. "You thought she was going to turn?"

"Why isn’t she going to turn?" L asked, looking up at Jaeshin from the snow, flat on his back. Kris and Suho were a few feet way, gesturing for the pack to keep quiet.

"I really thought you guys knew." Jaeshin mumbled to himself, turning to check Skye’s pulse. It was beating strongly, I could hear it from here, and there was a pink flush in her cheeks that was new.

"Thought we knew what? Jaeshin, what’s going on?" I asked, pushing myself off the snow and helping L up warily.

"Didn’t you sense anything different about Skye?" Jaeshin asked, turning to us. I shrugged, shaking my head, and Suho stepped forward.

"She’s faster than a normal human. Stronger too." Suho said. I shook my head, recalling how I had always written her abilities off as a product of the training of Luke.

"She knows how to use herbs, she never gets lost in a forest, she can swim really well...those are all skills the average human doesn’t have." Jaeshin said, looking back at us and standing up from where he was kneeling by Skye.

"Skye isn’t going to turn, because she has faerie blood. It’s impossible for someone with faerie blood to become a vampire."

How many of you did I surprise? Huh? Huh? XP

Guys, good news! Tomorrow, I start school again, and my school provides everyone with iPads. I do all my writing on my iPad and the quality is so much better and I can take the iPad everywhere with me so that means more updates faster! Yay!

So, please leave me a comment on what you think of this update~

Kamsamnida, saranghamnida~

-Sujin

<3