Kitsune

Don't Be Afraid of Me

SKYE’S POV

I was so sick of walking. It had been two full days since I left the wolfpack, and I had no idea where I was going. I guess I would hit Oregon soon, but I had no idea exactly when. Would it be a week? A month? I had been so spoiled traveling with the boys, and riding my horse before. Seriously, walking? I hated it.

I sighed, shouldering my pack, and kept walking. I wanted a shower and a hot meal. But I have protein bars, what more could you want? This was a terrible idea.

At least I’m not bothering the boys anymore. They’ll forget all about me in a few days, and all of us will be happier and safer. I kept trudging through this weird little forest I’d found a few days ago.

The trees were all insanely bright green, the grass plush and soft. There were flowers everywhere, and it was almost like the forest itself was alive. It felt great to be here, but I still wanted to put as much distance between the boys and I as possible.

When the sun disappeared between the thick canopy of trees overhead, I sat down for lunch. I sprawled under a large oak tree, taking out my last protein bar. I ate it quickly, clutching my still hungry stomach and taking a sip of water from my water bottle. Looking up, I froze for a second at what I saw.

There was a plate directly in front of me, with a large hamburger sitting on it. What the is with this place? I shook my head, deciding hunger was making me hallucinate, and looked back. It was still there. I laughed at myself, taking another sip of my water, and found I was holding a milkshake.

"What the?" I set my water down. Waited a few seconds. Picked it up. Still a water bottle, but after a second it wavered and became a milkshake. I threw it down, scrambling back against the trunk of the oak and watching as it turned back to a now empty water bottle.

"What’s going on?" I said, looking at the burger right in front of me. I reached out, touching it gently, and found I was holding nothing but a stick. High pitched laughter came from somewhere behind me, and I spun around.

A little ball of golden fluff squeaked from behind me, and I seized it quickly. It squirmed, trying to get away from me, and a pair of soft brown eyes looked up at me.

"Let me go" It squeaked. I held it arms-length away from me, trying to see what it was. It kept squirming, fluffy blonde tail swishing back and forth.

"If I put you down, do you promise not to run away?" I said. It nodded hurriedly, and I set it down on the ground. It tried to turn and run, but I grabbed its tail mercilessly.

"Ow, ow, ow! You’re hurting me!" It squeaked again. I pulled it back slowly, not taking any chances with whatever I was holding.

"What are you?" I said, spinning it around. It was a fox, about the size of a house cat, with long golden fur. It was slightly fluffy, with a bushy gold tail and sweet brown eyes. Its ears twitched, white teeth showing in an almost smile.

"Gimme a sec." It squeaked. I waited warily, jumping back when its form started to shimmer.

A few seconds later, a teenage boy was curled up on the grass in front of me. His fluffy tail poked through a hole in the back of his jeans, and his blonde fox ears twitched in his messy blonde hair. His brown eyes stared at mine, and his lips parted in a smile. His white teeth were still slightly pointed, and his white t-shirt hung loosely on his frame.

"I’m a kitsune." He said, his voice no longer as high-pitched. It still wasn’t as deep as the wolves, but it wasn’t anywhere near what it had been in his fox form.

"I’m sorry about tricking you, I was just practicing." He said, ears drooping contritely. Between his soft brown eyes and drooping ears, I just wanted to pick him up and cuddle him.

"It’s fine. What’s your name?" I asked, looking at him. He was definitely Asian, but he didn’t exactly look Japanese, as his species implied. I knew kitsunes were Japanese fox shifters who had a talent for illusion magic and a nose for mischievousness.

"Key. What’s yours?" Key asked, hugging his knees adorably. He tilted his head to the side, one ear staying straight and the other flopping down cutely.

"Skye. Where are you from?" I asked. Key shrugged, looking confused.

"I’m not exactly sure. I think I’m lost. I’m trying to find my friends, can you help me?" Key asked. I shrugged, nodding. I mean, I didn’t have anything better to do and Key was too cute to resist.

"Sure. Who are your friends?" I asked, looking around. I was now lost in a magical forest with a kitsune for company. What kind of a life did I have?

"Minho, Jonghyun, Taemin and Jinki. We got separated." Key said. I nodded, and Key sat down closer to me.

"I’m sorry I made you spill your water." Key said. I shook my head, shrugging, and realized I was now out of food and water.

"Here." Key held out a water bottle, seemingly produced from thin air, and I took it warily. "It’s real." Key said, seeing me hesitate. I took a sip, amazed at the wonderful flavor.

"What is this?" I asked. Key shrugged, looking away.

"Bubble tea. Do you like it?" Key asked. I nodded, drinking a little more, and saving the rest. Key smiled happily, tucking himself into a little ball.

"What are you doing?" I asked. Key shrugged, opening one eye. His tail was wrapped around his legs, tip twitching occasionally.

"We can sleep now, and move during the morning tomorrow. It’s best not to travel near nighttime here, and we should get some rest before we start walking more." Key said. I nodded, and he was asleep quickly. His soft snores echoed, and I found myself drifting off sleepily too.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

The entire wolfpack was in uproar. Ever since Skye had gone missing two days ago, everyone was trying frantically to find her. Sadly, she knew how to cover her trail amazingly well, and no one could find her. Jongin sat down next to me, exhausted from flashing all over the forest for her. Everyone had been using their abilities as well as they could, Kris even using his full wings to be able to fly longer.

Let me explain. Kris can fly in all forms, but usually he just relies on his energy to keep himself going through the air. When he has to fly for long periods of time though, he uses his wings. Usually, they’re tucked inside the skin of his back and unable to be seen (which sounds painful, but Kris says it isn’t). But, he has the ability to pull them out to use them. They’re kind of scary, stretching ten feet when unfurled, with black feathers.

Anyway, everyone was trying their hardest. Even Seunghyun’s clan, who had stuck around to help, had been amazing friendly and helpful. I sighed, standing up, and faded out.

I had also been all over the place, looking for Skye. Wherever she was, she was good at hiding. Luke had left several days ago to look for her, and everyone had breathed easier when he was gone. Now, I faded out and went up to the room Chanyeol and I still shared.

Chanyeol was worried sick, his face pale from staying up all the time looking for her. He wasn’t speaking to me, convinced I was just jealous, and it broke me to see him this bad. I knew he didn’t sleep, didn’t eat, just looked for Skye. He was going to kill himself if he kept this up, but I knew I would find some way to keep him safe.

Now, how to keep my best friend from killing himself, and find the girl we were both in love with? Why was the world so complicated, even for dead people?!

I know it’s really short, but I have to go to work! I’m sorry guys, I’m trying my best! Please leave me a comment, it makes my days worth it. Thank you all so much, wasn’t Key adorable?!

This chappie is dedicated to my very own kitsune boy, I love you babe.

-Sujin

<3