Attack

Don't Be Afraid of Me

I came down to breakfast carefully, getting more and more used to the trees. The boys were all circled up, Kyungsoo making some yummy sort of meat and rice combo. I looked around, and Chanyeol handed me my plate with a smile. He had apparently forgotten all about yesterday, unlike Baekhyun who was currently missing.

"I was thinking we could go on a hike today? I know a really pretty place." Chanyeol offered. I nodded, chewing my food quickly, and smiling slightly.

"That sounds great." I said. I set down my plate, and Chanyeol smiled.

"You know, if you promise not to throw sharp things at me this time..." Chanyeol teased, his eyes twinkling. A snort interrupted my reply, and I looked up to see Baekhyun angrily stalking over and snatching up food.

"Good morning, Baekhyun." Tao tried with a small smile, trying to make Baekhyun less moody. Baekhyun didn’t even turn to look at Tao, picking up his food.

"Bite me." Baekhyun muttered in reply. Tao frowned and Kris outright scowled, stepping forward.

"Baekhyun, apologize. Tao didn’t do anything to you, he doesn’t deserve that." Kris admonished in his deep, rumbling voice. Baekhyun scoffed again, setting down his empty plate.

"Oh yeah, it’s Chen who deserves that." Baekhyun said, whipping around to glare at Chen. Chen looked shocked for a second, holding his hands up.

"What?" Chen asked, looking up as Baekhyun stalked closer.

"Next time, stay out of my business." Baekhyun said, jamming a finger in Chen’s chest. Chen shoved his hand away angrily, meeting Baekhyun’s eyes.

"You were hurting her, didn’t you see? I’m not going to let you hurt her." Chen said, standing up slightly. He and Baekhyun matched each other, both’s eyes flashing red, and Baekhyun growled low in his throat.

"Okay, let’s just take it down a few notches..." Chanyeol said, trying to tug Baekhyun back. I knew they were the closest, which is what surprised me the most when Baekhyun shoved Chanyeol away.

"And you, joking with her about the fact she could’ve killed you! Do you realize how dangerous she is? And you let her come right into the middle of our camp, of our home!" Baekhyun exploded, nearly yelling the last words.

"Baekhyun, she wouldn’t hurt us-" Suho started. Baekhyun silenced him with a growl, shaking his head.

"You don’t know that! She’s a mundane, they all hate us. She’ll kill us as soon as she gets the chance, and you know it!" Baekhyun said. Suho tried to calm him down, standing slightly. The rest of the wolves were frozen, watching Baekhyun quietly.

"We know it must be hard for you after your parents, but-" Suho tried. Baekhyun only snapped his anger over to his leader, eyes blazing.

"You know nothing about my parents! You don’t know what it’s like to be the only one who’s useless. The one who could’ve done something, but didn’t. My parents died because of me, don’t you ever say you know how this feels!" Baekhyun snapped, his voice wavering. I saw through him then, realizing something. He wasn’t some dangerous Occult, he was a scared teenager who didn’t know how to deal with his feelings.

"Baekhyun, your parents died because a mundane hunter had a gun, not because of anything you did or didn’t do. It’s not your fault." Yixing said softly, stepping in. Baekhyun looked over at him, and for the first time I noticed the tears swimming in Baekhyun’s eyes.

"Now, why don’t you sit down and calm down. We’ll get you some real breakfast, and we can talk about this-" Yixing was cut off by Lu Han leaping forward and throwing Baekhyun and Chen to the ground.

"What the hell-" Baekhyun hissed, stopping when a barrage of bullets whizzed over our heads. Lu Han shoved Baekhyun and Chen forward at a crawl towards the trees.

"Run!" Lu Han yelled. He leapt to his feet, dragging Tao and Yixing with him and dodging bullets flying everywhere.

"What?" I cried, Chanyeol slinging me over his back and running. All the wolves kept going, and soon Chanyeol was at the back of the pack. I was afraid I was slowing him down when I noticed he had stopped intentionally.

Leaning back, Chanyeol swept his hands to the sides. A great blaze of fire spread in a line behind where the wolves were running, stopping whoever was attacking in his tracks. When he was done, Chanyeol turned back and caught up to the rest, helping Sehun who was falling behind. Baekhyun was up near the front, but he dropped back to Chanyeol.

"Give her to me." Baekhyun said, motioning for me. I clung to Chanyeol, not wanting to go to Baekhyun, and Chanyeol shook his head.

"You’re hurt, give her to me." Baekhyun said. Chanyeol nodded reluctantly, and Baekhyun transferred me without breaking stride. I reluctantly wrapped my arms around his neck, not wanting to have to travel with him, but accepting it.

"What’s going on?" I asked, hearing something crashing through the undergrowth behind us.

"Hunters. They finally got us again. Good thing Lu Han sensed them or all of us would be dead." Baekhyun said. I shuddered, wondering if they were the same hunters I had grown up worshipping.

Luke had told me about a group of mundanes who called themselves hunters, going around and killing all the occults they could find. It was ironic I was running from the same people I had once wanted to join. I wondered if I could throw myself from Baekhyun’s back and escape to the hunters. And that would probably buy enough time for the wolves to get away safe.

Wait, safe? No, I don’t want them to get away safely. They’re occults, they deserve to die. It’s what Luke’s taught me, it’s what I’ve taught myself. It’s hard now, to picture the wolves dying. In the beginning, I had hated them. I would’ve killed them myself. But then, I healed Chanyeol. And Jongin and Sehun saved my life, and Tao and Xiumin saved me again. Kyungsoo cooked delicious food, Yixing healed me, and Chanyeol made me smile. Lu Han and Suho took care of everyone else, and Kris was a protector too. Chen saved me from Baekhyun, and Baekhyun saved me from Eunhyuk. I had learned that these boys weren’t monsters, they were just...boys.

Deciding I could make it, I threw myself from Baekhyun’s back. The impact stunned me, and I skidded for a few more feet. Gravel and rocks tore at my skin, and I winced when I hit my bad hip. I looked up, glad to see the wolves were still running, but then I heard Baekhyun yelling.

"Jongin! She fell, please go back and get her!" Baekhyun yelled. No you idiot, I’m saving you! When Jongin didn’t hear, Baekhyun tried again.

"Jongin! Please hurry, she could be hurt! They’ll get her, can you-" Baekhyun broke off when Jongin appeared in front of me. I tried to wave him away, seeing several figures in black running closer. They were carrying guns, and were only maybe fifty feet away.

"Jongin, I know what I’m doing! Go, run!" I waved him away. The stubborn werewolf shook his head, reaching down to pick me up, and jerked back when one of the guns fired. He dropped down next to me, and ugly hole leaking blood from his side.

"No!" I cried. This wasn’t working, none of them were supposed to get hurt. My cry and the gunshot made all the wolves stop, and Kris roared when he saw Jongin.

"Attack!" Kris yelled, rocketing up into the air and covering the distance in a matter of seconds. The hunters had stopped about twenty feet away, and they were waiting with guns out.

The rest of the werewolves ran back together, forming a mob and surrounding Jongin and I. Yixing helped me to my feet, throwing Jongin across his shoulders.

"Come on, stay towards the back. It’s the safest." Yixing said, shoving me towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun pushed me behind him protectively, surprising me.

With a growl, Kris pounced on the nearest hunter. The man was taken by surprise, and Kris knocked him over easily. A second gun popped and Kris let out a high whine, not pausing to check the blood that flowered against his white shirt.

Tao and the others leapt forward, dodging bullets and knives to take down the hunters. I could only watch as first there were 10 hunters, then eight, and now two. Chen and Baekhyun ripped one hunter apart, and Xiumin killed the last with a bolt of ice through the heart.

All the wolves paused now, panting, and started inspecting each other’s wounds after a moment. Tao helped Kris stand, supporting the wolf carefully. Yixing made his way from wolf to wolf, healing the more serious wounds first, then the minor ones. In the end, everyone was still a little bruised and cut, and I helped bandage them as best I could. This was my fault after all.

Looking around at the wolves and seeing their clear concern for each other, I had never felt more guilty. Because of me, Tao was rubbing his cheek against Kris’ hair, trying to comfort him against the pain. Because of me, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were bandaging each other’s sides. Because of me Yixing was grey from exhaustion from healing everyone. I approached Suho carefully, and hung my head.

"I’m so sorry." I said, fearing the alpha’s anger. Surely, he must furious with me for endangering his pack-no, his friends.

"Are you alright?" Suho asked.

"What?" I looked up in shock, expecting anger.

"Are you hurt?" Suho asked, looking concerned. Xiumin, Chen and Lu Han also looked at me concernedly, and I said I was fine.

"You’re not mad?" I asked. Suho looked surprised, and he laughed a little.

"Mad? No, I’m glad you’re okay. No one’s dead, so why would someone be mad?" Suho asked. I shrugged, not expecting this. Luke would’ve tanned my hide if I had endangered someone like this at home.

"Are you okay? Never do that again, you scared me half to death!" Baekhyun exclaimed next to me. I looked behind me for the person he was talking to, and squeaked in surprise when he grabbed my shoulders and pulled me close.

"Oh-okay." I said, surprised. Baekhyun pulled back, looking down at me.

"Without you, who would give me a reason to wander through the forest at night?" Baekhyun snorted. "Oh, I hope Eunhyuk and Donghae are alright." Baekhyun wandered off, talking to Suho.

"Alright, we’ll make camp here, and travel into the city in the morning!" Suho called. I looked over at Chanyeol, who looked excited.

"City?" I asked. Chanyeol nodded excitedly, smiling.

"One of the last towns still run by humans in California. San Francisco." Chanyeol said. San Francisco? I thought the air seemed cooler, but I didn’t realize we were that close to civilization. And so very far from Tahoe.

"Human city?" I pointed out, wondering how the wolves would be able to go there. Chanyeol nodded, looking slightly more nervous.

"Disguises and secrets to keep, mind you. Now get some rest, tomorrow will be a big day." Chanyeol said, curling up. I shivered in the cold, and found myself suddenly covered by Lu Han’s sweatshirt. He gave me a shy look, then a small smile.

"Sleep well." Lu Han mumbled, scurrying away. I smiled, realizing that these wolves were just as scared of me as I was of them. But then again, I wasn’t as scared of them as before. I think I might actually kind of like them.

Okay, I’ve updated my other book twice today, and I’m updating today too! Please comment to let me know all this work was worth it! Please subscribe and upvote too, saranghamnida my lovelies!

Kamsamnida!

-Sujin

<3