Tiny

Don't Be Afraid of Me

 

SKYE’S POV

"How are you alive?" I asked. I reached out to touch his shoulder, screaming when my hand passed right through.

"I’m not." Baekhyun said, looking straight at me. I covered my mouth, staring at him with wide eyes. His gaze softened, and he held his hands up.

"What are you?" I asked, backing away slowly. Baekhyun reached out and grasped my wrist lightly. I could see his fingers curled around my wrist, but only felt a slight breeze.

"I’m not sure. I think...a ghost?" Baekhyun said, looking slightly confused. I reached out, resting my hand on his cheek, shaking my head.

"I’m so sorry. This is all my fault." I whispered, looking down. Baekhyun shook his head, his lips curling in a faint smile.

"No, it’s okay. I’m dead, but I’m not gone. I’m not going anywhere, and I don’t blame you for this. I don’t blame anyone." Baekhyun said, his eyes twinkling a little even as he spoke seriously.

"What do you mean? You’re dead, how can you not be angry?!" I said. I was still waiting to wake up somehow, but I felt dimly that this was too crazy to just be a dream.

"I don’t know. It’s like...all the anger and pain I felt before is just...gone." Baekhyun said. He shook his head, and laughed suddenly. The noise surprised me, and I realized I hadn’t ever heard him truly laugh. I’d heard him snort and chuckle, and seen him smirk, but now he was in front of me smiling and laughing.

"Then why are you here?" I asked. Baekhyun gave me a confused look, and I shrugged. "I heard ghosts only stay around if they’re resentful of something, or they’re being tied to this world by something."

"I am being tied here by something, but I chose to stay." Baekhyun said, looking at me gently. I tilted my head to the side, frowning.

"What is it?" I asked. Baekhyun smiled again, his white teeth flashing and eyes crinkling.

"You. You and Chanyeol and the rest of the pack. I’m supposed to protect you guys, it’s the most important thing to me. I’m not leaving until I’m certain you’re safe." Baekhyun said. I nodded, squinting in the dim light, and turning around when a massive amount of light blazed suddenly.

"Oh sorry! I forget how much better I’ve gotten." Baekhyun said, dimming the light until it was a soft, warm glow from his hand. I turned back, amazed at him.

"Since you...died?" I asked. Baekhyun nodded, not looking bothered at all. "What’s it like?"

Baekhyun sobered, beckoning for me to follow him while lighting the way. He was silent for a few minutes, his feet not making a sound, until he finally spoke.

"It’s strange. But not unpleasant." Baekhyun said. "I don’t feel pain. My heart doesn’t beat, I don’t breathe. Other than that, I feel the same as I did when I was alive."

"That’s so weird." I said, shaking my head. Baekhyun nodded, looking down.

"There’s just this one thing that’s different. There’s a heavy feeling right here, like I’m missing something I was supposed to have." Baekhyun said, holding a hand over his heart. I looked away, realizing he had died without ever finding love. It was sad, and I wished he hadn’t been killed so young.

"I’m sorry." I said. Baekhyun shrugged, turning to face me.

"Don’t be. I can do some pretty cool things now." Baekhyun said. I frowned, wondering what he was talking about, and gasped when he faded away.

"Baekhyun?!" I said, looking around. He faded in right behind me, smiling as he leaned forward and whispered, "Boo!"

"Don’t do that!" I said. Baekhyun smiled, walking around in front of me and continuing to light the way.

‘I can talk like this too.’ Baekhyun’s voice sounded in my head suddenly, and I jerked to a stop. He turned back to me with a smile.

"Get out of my head!" I said. Baekhyun laughed, continuing to walk forward, stopping when we reached the edge of the clearing. The fire glowed in the distance, and I saw Kris and Suho were still sitting with Baekhyun’s body. Baekhyun stopped short, all former cheer gone, and I saw him staring at his body with shocked eyes.

"That’s...me?" Baekhyun asked. I nodded, and I saw him take a deep, unnecessary breath and start walking again.

"Suho! Kris!" Baekhyun yelled. Kris and Suho jerked their heads up, looking with wide eyes at Baekhyun and I. They looked between his body and his ghost, standing up warily.

"I’m here." Baekhyun said, walking forward. He reached out, rubbing his cheek against Suho’s and then Kris’.

"How...you’re...you’re dead." Suho said, looking at Baekhyun. Baekhyun shook his head, smiling at Suho.

"I’m dead but I’m not gone. I’m not leaving until I know you’re all safe." Baekhyun said seriously. He and Suho stared at each other, before other wolves started trickling in from all over. Baekhyun’s appearance was met with disbelief, sadness and joy that he wasn’t really gone.

In the end, the wolves who were all below and not busy healing others or sleeping off their wounds embraced. It was like a giant dogpile, all of them hugging and crowding around Baekhyun. After a few minutes, Baekhyun separated himself from the others and looked up.

"I’m going to see Chanyeol."

BAEKHYUN’S POV

She was so beautiful. When I was alive, I hadn’t noticed how truly beautiful Skye was. Now that I was fading out of the clearing up to Chanyeol’s room, it was the last thing I’d expected to be on my mind. But of course, I’m a very unpredictable dead guy.

Within a few seconds, I was standing next to Chanyeol’s bed and looking down at him asleep. Now, I could finally get Jongin back for popping out at me all those years...sorry, random thoughts yet again.

"Chanyeol." I said. I knew I couldn’t shake his shoulder to wake him up, and prayed he would hear me. I saw Yixing was asleep in the chair next to Chanyeol’s bed, and tried to let him sleep. Deciding I would wait until they both woke up, I took a seat on the floor, playing with my fingers. How was I going to tell my best friend I was ghost? And how was I going to deal with my feelings for a girl who had been forbidden even when I was alive? Ottoke!

Okay, I know this chappie is short and I’m sorry. But I’m really busy, and I promise I’ll have more whenever I can! Please leave me comments if you’re starting to like the new ghost Baekhyun, and even if you aren’t liking him, tell me what I can do to make him better. In short, comments make working 5 hours a day bearable, please make authornim happy! Jebal!

Saranghamnida, kamsamnida!

And especially thank you to my lovely upvoters, commenters, subscribers and silent readers! I love you all equally~

-Sujin

<3