Travel Buddies

Don't Be Afraid of Me

CHANYEOL’S POV

I opened my eyes, looking around frantically. Baekhyun was standing in front of me, a smile on his face. I blinked hard, trying to remember what had happened.

"Chanyeol. Chanyeol, you’re like me now." Baekhyun said, opening his arms wide. I blinked, still confused, and felt my stomach drop when I saw the shimmering figures of the rest of the pack.

"Chanyeol, we’re all ghosts." Baekhyun said. I shook my head, murmuring that this was impossible. I looked down, shocked to see the grass at my feet through my hand. I shook off rising panic, realizing I would never find Skye now. We were ghosts?

"No. Baekhyun, it isn’t true." I said, shaking my head. He nodded, smiling, and I shook my head more. "No, no, no! It’s not true!"

"Whoa, hey, calm down. It’s okay. Jinki, this one’s starting to wake up." A deep voice pierced my thoughts, the ghostly images fading as I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. It was just a dream.

"Make sure he’s okay, Minho." An answering voice murmured. I could hear the breathing of someone next to me, but didn’t want to open my stinging eyes just yet. Instead, I used my other senses.

My throat felt raw, and my eyes still stung. I remembered the fire rising up above everyone, and felt a spike of panic. I smelt smoke, and heard many people moving around me. The person next to me placed a cool cloth on my head, his movements slow and careful. I slowly pried my eyes open, looking up at the brown-haired male by me.

"Hello. How are you feeling?" He asked, holding up a cup of water. He helped me sit up, holding the cup for me to drink. I did, coughing afterwards.

"Who are you?" I asked instead. He helped me lay down, giving me a concerned look.

"My name’s Minho." Minho said.

"What happened?" I asked. I remembered the fire, and passing out, but nothing except that. Minho shook his head, pushing me down gently when I tried to stand.

"My friends and I saw the smoke from the fire. We found you all passed out, and we took care of the hunters. Taemin and Jinki put out the fire while Jonghyun and I pulled you all to safety. We’ve been waiting for you guys to wake up." Minho said. I blinked, shocked that he and his friends had been so kind.

"Thank you so much." I said. Minho nodded, dropping his gaze.

"I wish we had gotten there in time to save the one that died." Minho said. I widened my eyes, gripping his wrist quickly.

"Who? Who died?" I asked, bracing myself for another ghost wolf. Minho shook his head, frowning.

"The human, Daesung, died of smoke inhalation. And the other, Seungri, was shot. He’s hurt pretty badly, Jinki is trying to save him." Minho said. Someone called his name, and he looked up.

"I have to go, I’ll be back. Try to sleep." Minho patted my arm, walking away. I frowned, saddened by Daesung’s death. We had grown close, and I had liked his quiet humor. And now Seungri, the youngest of their clan! The maknaes are the precious ones, he can’t die...I closed my eyes, praying everyone would wake up and survive.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I raced back through the forest, seeing the smoke in the distance with a sinking feeling. Why was I so stupid? I had left them all, just to chase after a ghost. A ghost who had disappeared without another word as soon as I was far enough away. I had been tricked, stupid me.

I heard the bullets, cringing as I saw the flames stretching up. The hunters were dressed in black, holding machine guns and torches. I shone a bright light in their eyes, hoping to distract them from shooting, and was rewarded when the spray of bullets went over the top of the sleeping wolves’ heads, not into them.

I kept shining lights at the hunters, wishing I could do more. I nearly cried with relief when I saw four teenage boys come running, flames surrounding their shapes like a halo. They were Occults, and they would help my friends.

The Occults scared off the hunters, working to control the flames and drag the wolves out of the way. I smelled the stench of death with a sickening feeling, and frowned when an Occult picked up a motionless Daesung. I bowed my head, turning away. He was dead because of me, because I couldn’t keep watch. I turned away, trusting the Occults, and flashing deep into the forest. My fault.

I now sat across from Jinki, watching as he tried to heal Seungri. He was talking to me to, sharing information.

"So, where are you guys headed?" I asked. Jinki shrugged, looking at me with a surprised look.

"Going to join the army, like everyone else." Jinki said. I froze, wondering what the hell he was talking about.

"What damn army?" I asked, starting to stand.

"Haven’t you heard? There’s a mixed army of Occults and Mundanes gathering in Canada. We’re going to fight the evil Occults, and the humans who want to kill Occults. We’re going to build a new world, where Occults and Mundanes can live in peace again, without rogue packs tracking them down, or hunters killing them in their sleep."

SKYE’S POV

"Make yourselves at home." Yoongi said with a smile, gesturing to the small cottage in the woods. For some reason, I was expecting a dank cave, so the well-lit cottage surprised me.

"I’ll show you to the room you can stay!" Hoseok said enthusiastically, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the door. He pressed his hand on it, twisting the lock on the door with his claws, and dragged me inside. A fire flickered in the fireplace, the stone walls warm and welcoming.

"Here." Hoseok and I went upstairs, and he showed me a small bedroom with a comfortable looking bed. "You can sleep here."

"Thank you." I smiled, glad he wasn’t angry at me for trying to touch his necklace thing earlier.

"Dinner time, you ungrateful brats!" A cheery voice called, making Hoseok drag me back downstairs. A tall, handsome Imugi stood in the kitchen, holding a pan of pizza just out of the oven...in his bare hands.

"Yah, Seokjin! Be nice..." A young-looking Imugi pouted, sticking out his lower lip when Seokjin ruffled his hair.

"Aww, Kookie’s so cute!" Taehyung squealed, pinching the youngest’s cheeks and smiling.

"Yah, get off me!" Kookie shrieked, shoving Taehyung. A tall man with black hair and sunglasses cleared his throat, gesturing to me with his head, giving Yoongi a questioning look.

"Oh, guys! This is Skye and Key, they’ll be staying with us for as long as they want. Introduce yourselves." Yoongi said. Seokjin nodded, bowing to me and shaking my hand. His hands were hot from the metal, but he hadn’t been burned.

"I’m the prince, Seokjin." Seokjin smiled, earning a smack on the back of his head from sunglasses.

"I’m Namjoon, the leader." Namjoon smiled at me, bowing and sliding off his sunglasses. He had small, cute eyes and friendly smile.

"And I’m the golden maknae, Jungkook! But everyone calls me Kookie anyway..." Kookie smiled, bowing to me and smiling adorably. I just wanted to pinch his cheeks! So badly...

"Let’s eat!" Jimin broke in, giving me a wide smile. He was different from before, so I shrugged off his sulleness.

"Kim Taehyung, get your away from the salt!" Seokjin thundered, and I caught Taehyung with a guilty smile and a hand stretched towards the salt.

"He tries to sabotage everyone else’s food because he can’t cook." Hoseok muttered to me. I smiled, and everyone sat down at the table and dug into the pizza.

"I’m gonna miss this place." Namjoon said suddenly, wistfully looking around at the cottage.

"Why?" I frowned. "Do you guys have to move?"

"We’re going to the join the Army." Yoongi said, shaking his head. Key lit up, smiling happily with a face like he just remembered something important.

"That’s where my friends are! We’re all going to join the Army too. I think Suho and Kris’ pack might be doing it too." Key said.

"Suho and Kris? They never mentioned an Army before..." I said. Key looked over at me, smiling.

"You know Suho and Kris?" Key asked. I nodded, and he clapped his hands.

"You can just come with me to the Army. We can meet my friends, and your packmates at the same time!" Key said, bouncing up and down.

"They’re not my packmates." I said quickly. Key snorted, rolling his eyes.

"Yes, they are. You’ve been marked by the wolfpack, any Occult with a nose would know that. You’re under their protection, whether you like it or not, and that makes you part of their pack." Key said. I frowned, not sure if I wanted to see the wolves again. I had run away from them to keep them from harm, but if they were joining an Army, surely I could go and help them by fighting?

"It’s all settled, you and Key can travel with us to the Army!" Yoongi and Namjoon declared.

"Yay! Travel buddies!" Hoseok shrieked, clapping his hands happily and bouncing. He and Taehyung started some weird ‘travel buddies’ chant, and soon Kookie joined in.

This was going to be a long walk to Canada.

 

 

I got you! How many of you guys thought they were ghosts for a second?! Haha...the joys of writing...

I hope you guys like the direction of this story so far...please leave me a comment to tell me if you like it, or if you have any suggestions of how I can make it better.

I’m sorry Daesung! I didn’t want to, honestly! And everyone, be on your toes about Seungri. I haven’t decided if enough people like him to keep him around...If you don’t want me to kill him off, you have to leave me a comment that you want him to live!

Kamsamnida, saranghamnida!

-Sujin

<3