First Flight

Don't Be Afraid of Me

SKYE’S POV

I rolled over, looking up at Chanyeol. He was still asleep, his mouth hanging open and snoring slightly. I grabbed a stray leaf from the floor of the truck, tickling his nose softly. He snorted, batting at his nose, and I covered my mouth to hold in a giggle.

"Chanyeol." I said softly, tickling him again. His eyes finally opened, blinking down at me with a smile.

"Hey." Chanyeol said, his deep voice still rusty with sleep. I smiled, feeling a warm weight on my legs. I looked down, finding Taemin in his fox form curled up on my legs, fast asleep. I picked him up softly then stood, cuddling him close.

Taemin’s eyes opened and he bared his teeth in a little fox smile, rubbing his head on my chin softly. I smiled, cuddling him closer, and stepped carefully around Baekhyun and Jaeshin asleep on the floor. Chanyeol followed behind me, a little less coordinated, and I watched as he accidentally stepped on the tip of Jaeshin’s wing.

Jaeshin let out a frightened yelp and immediately woke up, struggling to stand. His wings beat the air for balance, knocking Chanyeol back a few steps, and Baekhyun was immediately crouched protectively in front of Jaeshin. When Baekhyun saw it was only Chanyeol, he turned around and grasped Jaeshin’s wing gently.

"Shh, it’s okay. Not even scratched." Baekhyun murmured soothingly, scratching under the feathers gently. Jaeshin nodded, still looking at the floor away from Chanyeol.

"Jaeshin, I’m sorry." Chanyeol said, stepping forward. His brown eyes were wide in genuine guilt, and Jaeshin met his eyes carefully.

"It’s okay." Jaeshin whispered. Chanyeol nodded, stepping back and wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I leaned into him and followed him outside, looking for breakfast.

"He sure is timid." Chanyeol said to me quietly, thanking Kyungsoo for making the food. I shrugged, eating next to him and leaning into his shoulder.

"Baekhyun said Aurora had bound his wings so he couldn’t use them. He has a right to be timid." I said, feeling a rush of sympathy for the shy faerie. We stopped talking when Tao sat next to me, leaning in close to both of us.

"Kris says we’re moving out today. We’re right on the trail of Fey’s pack and Aurora." Tao said. We nodded, scrubbing out our bowls with snow and joining everyone around the fire.

"There will be three groups." Suho started, leaning down and arranging the snow to show our plans.

"Leeteuk, you and your wolves will be me and Kris. ToppDogg is with us, so are all the Imugi. Same with you, Jinki." Suho said, drawing a circle to the left. All the shifters would be together in one group.

"C.A.P., you’re with Kevin, Yongguk and Baekho. Jaeshin and Baekhyun are with them too." Jaeshin looked over at Baekhyun, who was looking at Yongguk with a smile. Yongguk and his clan were half-angels, so they too sported massive wings.

"Last group, in the middle. Eunkwang, L, Rome, Iota, High Top, you’re all together with 2pm and Boyfriend. Everyone understand who you’re with?" Suho asked. Chanyeol leaned down, whispering in my ear I would go with that group; composed of the humans, vampires and demons.

"The shifter group and the faerie group will close in from the left and right respectively, driving Fey and Aurora’s forces towards the large group in the middle. Then we’ll both fight from each side, crushing their forces between us. Make sense?" Kris asked, speaking for the first time. We all looked around, nodding softly, and Kris smiled.

"Alright. Let’s go get them!" Kris said, turning and walking away. We all split off into our different groups, and I walked over to Eunkwang. I knew him the most of the leaders, and I trusted him.

"Okay, everyone in the vehicles. Let’s go." Eunkwang said. The vampires - led by L - hopped in the back of Peniel’s truck, and I went inside with them. Rome and High Top took their forces into one of the other trucks; 2pm and Alphabat taking the last one. The boys of Boyfriend had brought ATV’s, and they each hopped in one.

I settled down in the back of the truck on an old crate, checking my twin daggers were securely in place on my belt. I looked up, finding Infinite staring at me, watching my every move. I ignored the hairs standing up on my neck, clearing my throat.

"Hi." I said, attempting to hide my nervousness. The youngest - I think his name was Sungyeol or maybe Sungjong - bounced forward and smiled, baring long fangs.

"Hello!" he said happily. I nodded, seeing Sunggyu (?) draw him back slightly.

"Don’t get so close, you might scare her." Sunggyu said softly, shooting me an apologetic - and fang free - smile.

"She’s not scared, she’s nice!" another vampire piped up, making me blush. We soon dissolved into friendly talking, shocking me that vampires could be this nice. They were the first vampire clan I had talked to, but I never expected how sweet they all were.

The truck lurched to a stop suddenly, and I could hear the sounds of fighting from outside. The vampires straightened with collective hiss, their fang teeth snapping out and eyes changing color. I grabbed my knives tightly. Now or never.

CHANYEOL’S POV

I looked over to the right, seeing Baekhyun and Yongguk’s group sweeping through the sky, tracking Aurora’s band of faerie knights. The shifters around me quickened their pace, our feet flying through the snow. Fey’s pack was just ahead, a male I didn’t recognize leading them at the front.

Eunhyuk at the front of our group gave another burst of speed, leaping forward and transforming in the air. He landed on the back of one of the wolves running ahead of us, tumbling head over heels and sinking his claws into the wolf’s shoulders. We all followed his lead, jumping on wolves and making them roll away like furry marbles.

Changing directions, we swerved to the left, driving the pack to the middle of the snowy pass through two cliffs. Swinging around to the front, our fastest wolves dashed in front of them and cut off their exit. With matching growls, the massive pack turned to face us, all shimmering into their wolf forms. I looked over at Hoseok next to me, his wings snapped out and claws glittering.

For a second, the two groups did nothing but stare at each other, until Baekhyun’s group drove the faerie knights into the wolf pack, and it was utter chaos in a second. The two forces joined together against us, facing off.

The humans arrived, their big trucks churning to a stop, and I tensed. This was the last big fight. We had to make it count. I crouched down, growling, then launched myself directly at the lead male of the wolf pack.

We made contact, me barreling into his chest and knocking him flat on his back. His claws pierced my sides and he threw me aside roughly. A second wolf jumped on my back and I twisted to the side, my hands around his neck to keep his deadly teeth from closing on my neck. He snapped closer and closer, almost reaching my throat, when a sudden weight dropped from the skye.

Baekhyun tucked his wings flat against his back, grabbing the wolf and rocketing back up into the sky. I watched for a second, awestruck, as Baekhyun then released the wolf, sending him plummeting back down with a crunch. I looked away, my eyes finding Skye.

I was pleased to see she was surrounded by Infinite, protected by them. She broke free of their loose circle, dashing headfirst into the fight, swinging her twin daggers around herself quickly. I leapt forward to join her, throwing the enemy she was facing away.

"Glad to see you’re alive." Skye panted quickly, giving me a nod and a brief smile before turning and plunging her knife into the chest of the nearest faerie knight.

"You too." I said, blocking a knife cut from another faerie, breaking his arm in the process. I looked over quickly, knocking him back as I did so, and saw Baekhyun was on top of another wolf. He looked like he was fine, so I switched my attention over to the other members of the pack.

Tao was fighting wearily against a tall knight, swaying as he blocked the knight’s sword with delayed reactions. A long cut on his side was sapping his strength, and I jumped forward to help him. Kris got there first, so I redirected to Taemin, cornered by a wolf.

The little fox snarled at the much larger wolf, jumping forward and shifting forms in midair, jumping on the wolf’s back in human form. He pinned the wolf down, letting me snap its neck, and gave me a short nod in gratitude.

I turned to run, then yelled when I felt something pierce the flesh of my shoulders. The world was jerked away as something pulled me up, and I looked up to see the hideous face of a harpy smiling down at me. Her claws were dug into my shoulders and her wings beat the air, rocketing us upwards.

I struggled in her grip, blood running down from my shoulders, and I finally reached up and wrapped my hands around her ankles. The pain from the torn muscles in my shoulders was almost too much, but I a short measure of fire out, engulfing her ankles in flames. She shrieked, releasing me immediately and flapping away.

I felt my heart fly up into my throat as I dropped straight down, plummeting hundreds of feet down towards the fight below. I was going to die.

JAESHIN’S POV

I kept my wings tucked close to my body, not sure how to use them yet, and landed a kick to the face of the knight I was fighting. I heard a scream and looked up, seeing Chanyeol in the clutches of a harpy hundreds of feet above us.

I gasped, wondering what I should do. I couldn’t see Baekhyun anywhere close, or any of the half-angels or Imugi. When Chanyeol was suddenly released, dropping straight down like a stone, I made up my mind.

I took a deep breath and spread my wings, jumping up into the air and pushing them down quickly. After a few flaps, my body caught on, shoulder muscles working hard to keep me up. I timed myself perfectly, reaching my arms out and catching Chanyeol. I pulled him to me, wrapping my arms around him, and swallowed hard when we started falling together.

I pumped my wings harder, but they weren’t used to carrying that much weight yet. Looking down, we still had about 50 feet to drop. I wrapped my wings around Chanyeol and I, tucking my head.

We slammed into the ground, my wing breaking with a dull snap, and I cried out. We kept skidding over the ground, hitting the rocks and snow with bone-breaking force. When we finally slid to a stop, tears were sliding down my cheeks from the pain.

"Chanyeol, are you okay?" I asked hoarsely, peeling my wings back carefully. He was unscathed, standing up and examining his arms and legs in disbelief.

"I’m fine." Chanyeol said, giving me a shocked look. I nodded, collapsing back onto the ground, struggling to breathe through the pain in my side.

"Jaeshin, I need you to stay right there, okay? I’m going to get Yixing." Chanyeol said, looking at me fearfully. I nodded, closing my eyes and wincing. I coughed, feeling the broken bones of my ribs shifting around in my chest and blacking out from the pain. I was going to die.

I updated! And it’s a little bit longer than usual~

I’m so sorry Jaeshin. Really, I’m so sorry for doing this to you. It had to be done, but I’m still feeling really awful about it *snuggles Jaeshin*

Anyway...fighting has started! And so far it’s really crappy, but it will get better! Please leave me a comment, I’m waiting to hear how everyone likes the whole Baekshin thing... (now that I’ve possibly killed off one half of the couple *kill me now* )

Kamsamnida, saranghamnida~

-Sujin

<3