Grief

Don't Be Afraid of Me

SKYE’S POV

"Chanyeol." I said, holding my hands out. His head snapped up, eyes burning into mine as he snarled. He stepped forward, breathing in deeply.

"Chanyeol. Stop." I said, backing away a little. He stepped forward a little, growling. There was no recognition in his eyes, and I felt my heart plunge lower. The scars on my face tingled, reminding me that the only way to get away was to run.

I looked down, pulling Jiyong to lean against me and looking at Chanyeol. I gasped when I realized he was getting ready to jump, his legs tense and eyes glittering. I was frozen with fear, watching in slow motion as he sprung forward, claws outstretched for me.

I screamed, closing my eyes and trying to shield Jiyong. I braced for impact, certain I was about to die. After a few seconds, I felt Chanyeol slam into me with bruising force, knocking me over.

"I’ll try to stop the others, you need to run!" The wolf on top of me growled in my ear, his voice rough and unrecognizable. I turned, and Kris helped me up. I saw he had shoved me out of the way of Chanyeol, who was now preparing to spring again.

"Now, go! Before we all lose it." Kris breathed, crouching protectively over Jiyong. "They won’t hurt him, don’t worry. Just run!"

I nodded, wheeling around and racing as far and fast as I could into the woods. My heart slammed in my chest, and I looked around for ways to get back to camp. My head hurt from the bruise on it, and I was scared and tired, but I had to keep going.

"Come on, just a little farther." I whispered, looking around. I saw a large tree, and contemplated climbing it. A crashing in the undergrowth prompted me up, but my bad hip gave out suddenly and sent me tumbling back down. I landed awkwardly, wincing in pain.

The rustling got closer, and I drew the emergency knife from my boot. Reaching out blindly in the dark, my hand landed in a patch of blue flowers. I scrabbled through them, and finally found a decent sized stick. Taking my knife, I whittled a point on it, and held a weapon in each hand.

Finally, a form with burning red eyes stepped out of the shadows. The hair on the back of my neck stood up, and I looked carefully to see who it was. A part of me prayed it was a wolf I didn’t know, one I wouldn’t worry about hurting.

"Hello?" I said, adopting a firm stance. The wolf raised his head, revealing the heartbreakingly familiar way Tao’s hair flopped into his eyes.

"Tao? You don’t want to hurt me. You know me, right?" I said, praying I wouldn’t have to defend myself from him. I had already seen his skills and strength, and I was afraid of hurting him.

A low growl was my only answer, Tao gliding forward silently, like he was stalking me. I swallowed hard, lifting my makeshift spear. With a sudden snarl, Tao leapt forward. I dodged to the side, and he tumbled in a heap in the patch of flowers I had been in before.

He leapt up again, lunging towards me. I landed a solid kick to his face, wincing as he flew back into the same place. He jumped up again, swaying on his feet, and lunged towards me. I watched in horror as Tao jumped directly into the tip of the spear, stopping abruptly and letting out a shocked whine.

"Tao!" I cried. He dropped down, falling with his hand over his chest. I got down next to him, still trying to keep my distance. Tao was gasping for breath, struggling to drag air into his lungs. I was surprised when I realized the spear had gone into his right bicep, not his chest, and wondered why he was choking.

Tao’s eyes flickered off and on, and he gave me a panicked look. I saw recognition flash in his brown eyes, before the red burned it out and replaced it with raw fear. He arched his back, still trying to breath, and I gasped when I saw raw red marks covering the bare skin of his back and sides. He had lost his shirt sometime during the change, and the red marks were a shock to see.

"Tao! What’s wrong?" I asked. I tried to hold him down by his shoulders, but he thrashed and screamed in pain. I saw faint flickers of smoke coming from the blue flowers beneath us, and realized they were burning him.

Without thinking, I grabbed his wrists and dragged him out of the flowers. He was almost unconscious, breathing shallowly and letting his eyes flutter. I flipped him over on his stomach, looking at the raw chemical burns on his back. The flowers must’ve been some kind of wolfsbane.

Another growl sounded and I whirled, seeing Yixing lurking in the shadows. He leapt forward, grabbing Tao’s wrist harshly and making green light explode all of us like fireworks. After a few seconds, Yixing backed away, looking at Tao. The young male coughed, finally opening his brown eyes. I felt a surge of relief at his humanity, and smiled when his teeth and claws faded. After a few seconds, Yixing’s did the same, and he collapsed next to Tao.

The sun started to clear the tops of the trees by us, peeking over. The full moon was over. I was still alive! Yixing and Tao were cuddled together on the grass, sound asleep, and I sat down next to them. I was exhausted, and found myself slipping into sleep.

CHANYEOL’S POV

I opened my eyes, stretching my neck stiffly. Looking around, I found I was alone in a clearing. Last night was so hazy, I struggled to remember what had happened. I shrugged after coming up with nothing, striding forward and bending down by the edge of a small pond.

I stretched my cupped hands out, ready to capture some water to drink, and froze when I saw them. My hands were scarlet, gloved in blood up to my elbows. I fell back in shock, before leaning over the pond and feeling sick when I saw the layer of blood around my mouth. I had killed something when I shifted, but I had no idea what it-

Skye. The thought hit me moments before the memory of me leaping at her. I felt my limbs freeze with fear, thinking fast. I couldn’t remember turning away from Skye or hurting her, but feeling the bruises on my side, I could guess what had happened.

I had lost control, and jumped at Skye. She tried to fight back, resulting in the bruises, but I had killed her. As soon as I realized this I felt a painful weight drop onto my chest. I began to cry, loudly and messily, wrapping my arms around myself and yelling.

I had killed her. The same one I had vowed to protect, the same one I had loved. I looked down at my hands, starting to shake at the sight of blood on them, and quickly turned aside to retch. When I was done, I crawled forward, scrubbing my arms and face in the water. My shirt was soaked with blood, as were my jeans. I discarded the shirt, keeping the jeans, and pushed myself to my feet.

Tears blurred my vision as I walked, running into trees and tripping over rocks. The pain of my broken heart hurt more than anything, like a jagged shard of glass buried in my chest. I followed my nose, tracking various scents throughout the forest.

Finally reaching the part of the forest I was looking for, I walked forward. In seconds, a clawed hand was at my throat, my attacker holding my shoulder with his other hand. A strong musky smell rolled off him, matching the scent of over a hundred wolves closeby.

"You’re trespassing, pup." A voice growled at my ear. Fey’s second in command, Jaejoong, tightening his grip on me, claws digging in my throat and making red drops roll down.

"I need to ask a favor from Fey." I said, my voice sounding hollow to even me. I felt a grim determination burning up next to my grief, giving me purpose.

"A favor from Fey?" Jaejoong barked a short laugh. "What do you need from her?"

I swallowed, looking down. I kept thoughts of Skye fixed in my head, feeling more tears slip down my cheeks. She was right, I was a monster. She was right to have been afraid of me from the start, and it was my fault she was dead. I had pushed her to come closer to me, because I had loved her. And now the one I loved was dead. There was only one thing left to do.

"I want Fey...to kill me."

CHANYEOL, YOU PABO!!!!! ARE YOU GONNA DIE? I DON’T KNOW, I’LL HAVE TO SEE WHAT YOU DO LATER!

Guys, what do you think of having a double ghost love triangle? It would be really sad, and I do like writing sad angsty stuff...hmm. Then again, I just can’t get rid of Chanyeol...decisions, decisions.

I’m so sorry, I won’t be able to update this weekend (swim championships), but I’ll try to update on Monday. Some comments would really make me super happy. Please guys, even just one sentence would be awesome.

Alright, I’m out. Actually, one thing. If I get five comments by 7 pm (in two hours), I’ll update a second time tonight. Any takers? Hello?

Anyway...bai bai!

Saranghamnida, kamsamnida!

-Sujin

<3