Chanyeol

Don't Be Afraid of Me

Update! Please let me know what you guys think! Please comment, subscribe and upvote!

 

    I woke early, as usual, and stretched out my stiff leg. I got up, patting Luke's hand and smiling as he nodded. I went upstairs, pulling on my jeans and a tank top. I pulled my hair back into a sleek ponytail and strapped on my knife. 
    "Did you hear anything else last night?" I asked Luke, pouring myself a cup of coffee. 
    "Nothing. I think that shot we heard scared the Occult away." Luke said, downing a cup of coffee like it was a shot and pouring himself another one. There were dark circles under his eyes from being awake, and I patted his shoulder. 
    "In that case, I'm taking Anubis for a run. We need more food." I said. Luke shook his head, but I set my jaw. 
    "Absolutely not." Luke said. "We don't know what's out there." Luke warned, drinking deeply from his mug. 
    "We can't live in fear. You know I'll be careful." I swung my canvas messenger bag over my shoulder. I slipped in a first aid kit, jerky and my water bottle. "I'll be back later." 
    "Don't wander too far. Be careful." Luke said, nodding his assent. I walked out the door, scanning the woods for unwanted visitors. Finding none, I saddled up Anubis and tucked my 45.  into the saddle bag. 
    Mounting, I spurred Anubis into a gallop. After last night, I was itching for a run. The sun was just coming up, and I rode to the top of the little grassy hill by the cabin. A rare field stretched before us, and the sun tinted the grass gold. I tilted my head up to the sun, cherishing the warm rays. I was snuggled in a heavy canvas jacket, but the heat felt good. 
    I heard a sound from the woods, and I dropped low. Spurring Anubis on at a walk, we crept into the woods towards the noise. I took out my gun, cocking it and keeping my finger outside the trigger guard. The steady beat of running feet reached me, and I dismounted. Pushing Anubis back into the shadows, I tried to make myself more inconspicuous. 
    A boy my age, maybe a year older, ran past me. He was barefoot, wearing only dirty jeans, and I marveled at his height. He was well-muscled, standing about six feet tall. His black hair was cut short, flipped up in a stylish hairdo. Pausing, he looked behind him fearfully, then kept running when more howls sounded. 
    I froze, staying silent as the boy disappeared deep into the forest. A group of people came running, but stopped right in front of where I was hiding in the bushes. Anubis stirred, but they didn't even pause to look at him. There were three men and one woman, and they looked around angrily. 
    "This way!" The woman cried, lifting her nose to the air and motioning the others in the direction the boy had gone. I breathed slowly, realizing in front of me was a pack of werewolves—and that they were tracking the boy.
    They turned as one and started running swiftly through the trees towards the boy. I mounted Anubis, spurring him to a gallop and taking an alternate route to the werewolves. I put away my gun as I rode, tracking the boy by his footprints. I soon passed up the werewolves, and I slowed to a canter. 
    Looking around, I saw a flash of skin. The boy was running out in front of me, casting glances back over his shoulder and pushing himself even further. I gained on him, but he continued to outrun me. 
    "Stop! I'm trying to help you!" I cried. He looked back at me, pausing, then fell. There was a snapping sound, and he yelled. His voice was deep, and it was answered by howls. I rode closer to him, watching as he scrambled forward on his hands and knees. 
    He was stopped by a thick chain, and he collapsed limply. Whimpering, he reached his hands back and felt the thick bear trap caught around his right calf and ankle. Blood soaked his jeans, and I could see where the large teeth of the trap had gone deeply into the muscle of his leg. 
    Stopping a few feet away, I dismounted and walked forward where he could clearly see me. Yanking on his leg, he tried to get away, then yelled again. His face was creased in pain and fear, his brown eyes piercing mine. Anubis fled, leaving me alone. 
    "Stop! You're making it worse, and you're telling them where you are!" I exclaimed, holding my hands out towards him. He immediately stopped, looking at me and taking in everything about me. He looked terrified of me, but tried to hide it. 
    "Who are you?" His voice matched his height, a deep rumble, and the muscles in his arms flexed as he tried to pry off the trap. I knew it wouldn't work, it was one of Luke's traps—Luke set them to keep werewolves and the like away.  
    "My name is Skye. Will you let me help you? They're coming." I said, gesturing behind me. He nodded, taking his blood-smeared hands away from his leg and watching me with those rich eyes of his. 
    I had set many traps like this before, and quickly unhooked the mechanism. Prying the teeth out of his leg made the boy yell, and I winced at the blood that streamed from the wounds. He grimaced, agony in his eyes, and I inspected his leg. The bone was shattered halfway up his calf, and I needed to get him to Luke. 
    "My name is Chanyeol. Thanks." Chanyeol panted, looking at his leg. I threw the trap aside, ripping strips off my flannel shirt. I still had a tank top underneath, and I used the strips to bandage his leg. He heaved himself up, keeping his weight on his left leg, and looked down at me. 
    "You should get on that horse and run far away." Chanyeol advised, reaching up one of his large hands and swinging himself into a tree. His leg didn't touch the branches as he crouched down, using his upper body strength to keep him in place. The leaves hid him almost completely, but I could see his eyes looking past me. 
    "But you need help." I said, frowning as he shook his head. 
    "I'll be fine. You need to go before they come." Chanyeol said, looking around warily. I shook my head, pulling out my gun. 
    "I've been attacked by Occults before—werewolves. I can handle them. Besides, my horse is gone." I cocked the gun, watching as four shadows crept toward Chanyeol and I from the trees. The wolves crouched low, snarling, and I felt the ground rumble from a growl behind me. I looked back, wondering how there were five now, and saw Chanyeol standing behind me. 
    He had drawn himself up to his full height, favoring his leg but still loosing an unearthly growl. I shuddered, realizing I was surrounded, but Chanyeol stepped in front of me. He shielded me from the four wolves, and I realized he was on my side. 
    "Back off." Chanyeol warned in a low voice, flexing his hands into the semblance of claws. I saw a long trail of claw marks down his back, and I winced at how deep they were.
    "Back off? Little pup, you don't know who you're talking to." Two of the wolves changed, a man and a woman. The man spoke, making Chanyeol stiffen more. He was breathing hard from his run, and blood pooled at his feet.  
    "First you steal supplies, destroy a helicopter and help a mundane. Then, you run and tell me to 'back off'?" The woman spoke, tucking her raven black hair behind her ear and flashing her eyes. 
    "It was only a matter of time. Say goodbye!" She snarled, shifting back and jumping towards Chanyeol. He leapt backwards, catching her and tossing her aside. The two other wolves jumped on him at once, pinning him down and snapping at his throat with long teeth. 
    Chanyeol lay on his back, arms braced up against a giant wolf's neck, wounded leg scrabbling for a hold in the dirt. His face was strained in agony and I unsheathed a knife. Throwing it, I caught the human wolfman in the throat. He fell instantly, and the distraction made one wolf jump towards me. 
    I backed up, throwing a stone at the wolf. It bared its teeth in a grin, lunging towards me, and I screamed. I turned, trying to run, but its weight bore me to the ground. Hot breath panted in my ear, just like my dream, and I whimpered. 
    The wolf's weight suddenly vanished, and I pushed myself off the ground. Chanyeol had punched the wolf off me, and he stood in between us now. Heavy bruises decorated his torso, and I winced at his broken leg. The wolf growled, and Chanyeol dropped to all fours in front of me. An answering challenge rumbled, and I looked back to asses the rest of the wolves. 
    The one I had killed still lay down, a second next to him that Chanyeol had killed. The female was creeping up behind Chanyeol, baring her fangs as he swiped at the remaining wolfman. I shouted a warning as she pounced, making Chanyeol turn. 
    Chanyeol's head snapped back as the wolfman's blow made contact, and he slumped down on the ground. The shewolf jumped on Chanyeol's back, her claws cutting deeply as she lunged towards his neck. 
    "No!" I raised my gun, picking it up from where it had fallen. I pulled the trigger twice, hitting the wolves in their sides. They snarled together, turning and running away. 
    My hands were trembling as I lowered my gun, looking at Chanyeol. He was lying limply on the ground, arms spread-eagled. I didn't know what to do next. He was an Occult, the same kind that had killed my family. He was evil and cursed, wild. 
    He had also protected me. I couldn't just leave him here to die, but I couldn't take him back to Luke. Luke would just kill him, and there was something different about Chanyeol. I could feel it. 
    Stepping forward, I grasped Chanyeol's forearms and started dragging him through the undergrowth. He moaned occasionally, but stayed unconscious as we reached my favorite place in the forest. 
    A stream bubbled past two caves surrounded by a meadow. I walked across the soft grass with Chanyeol, leaving by the entrance to the biggest cave. I walked inside, laying out blankets and food I had stored there. I built up a fire and pulled him inside. 
    Chanyeol was shivering awfully, clutching his hands to his chest as he tried to keep warm. He was still unconscious, and I looked at his head. The blow from the wolf's paw had struck the side of his head, making blood trickle down and coat his neck. I couldn't tell if there was significant brain damage, but he at least had a concussion. 
    Covering him with blankets, I found he had a horrible fever. I sponged his head and neck with a wet rag, wiping off blood and dirt. Taking clean water, I dripped it through his lips carefully.  He swallowed carefully, breathing heavily, and I looked at his leg. 
    The bone was shattered, wet blood pouring from the deep cuts from the teeth of the trap. I staunched the blood as best as I could, wrapping the leg with bandages. I would have to set the bone tomorrow, but I didn't know if I could do it. 
    Chanyeol shifted his weight, and I used this opportunity to treat the wounds on his back and sides. I wrapped his cracked ribs and bandaged the wounds from claws. He had fought hard, defending himself and me from four adult Occults. 
    Making sure Chanyeol was comfortable, I studied him as he relaxed into the hard packed dirt floor. Chanyeol's face was extremely handsome, with a straight nose and graceful cheekbones. His eyes were upturned, hinting at his Asian ancestry. Even the curve of his throat was laced with masculine grace. His teeth were incredibly white, and it shocked me how straight they were. 
    His black hair was tousled, and painted with blood in some places. His muscle tone was ridiculous, a werewolf thing, and his height was coupled with a sturdy, lean body. Broad shoulders gave way to strong hands with slender sinewy fingers, and I traced my eyes over his muscled back. 
    He groaned, turning over, and I hoped he would be fine for the night. I banked the fire, pulled a blanket over the entrance of the cave, and walked home. 
    Luke was worried but I shrugged him off, going upstairs and straight to bed. I knew I would have a long day tomorrow of taking care of Chanyeol. I fell asleep almost instantly, dreaming of nothing. 

 

She's met Chanyeol now, what does everyone think? More action in the next chappie!

Saranghae!

—Sujin