Unlikely Savior

Don't Be Afraid of Me

CHANYEOL’S POV

"And why would I kill you?" Fey asked, circling around me delicately. I stared straight at the ground, not moving even under the strain of the heavy chains they had wrapped me in. I was kneeling, two guards on each side of me.

"Because you hate me." I said. Fey nodded, contemplating the claws sprouting from her hand.

"True. But if I kill you, your packmates will seek revenge on me." Fey said. I shook my head, meeting her eyes briefly before looking back down.

"No. They’d want me dead too. They won’t retaliate." I said, my voice dull and dead. Fey stopped pacing, bending down to look at me. A deadly smile flickered on her face, leaning in close.

"Why? What did you do that was so horrible?" Fey asked teasingly. I didn’t respond, lowering my head. "Oh, I know." Fey exclaimed softly.

"That pretty little human you were always following around like a lovesick puppy. You hurt her, didn’t you?" Fey said, sounding like she was enjoying every second of this. I lowered my head til my chin touched my chest and blinked back tears.

"No, you didn’t just hurt her. You killed her? Didn’t you? I can smell the blood on you, you must’ve done it." Fey said. She grabbed my chin, long claws scraping my throat as she forced me to look at her.

"When did you do it? When did you tear her apart? Last night? This morning?" Fey mocked. I tried to pull away, stopping with a soft whine when she snarled at me, her alpha spirit showing.

"But you have to admit, it was fun. You enjoyed it, even if you can’t remember it. You like feeling her trying to get away, hearing her cries for help." Fey said.

"No!" I shouted, pushed to the edge. Fey smiled again, shaking her head until her hair fell over one glowing red eye.

"Then why did you kill her?" Fey asked, drawing out her words. Her packmembers were clustered around us, watching with grim faces and smiles.

I didn’t have an answer, instead starting to sob. Fey dropped my chin in disgust, turning away. My shoulders slumped, shaking with the effort of my broken hearted cries.

"Disgusting. A cowardly creature like you that tries to refuse its birthright. Can’t you see, this is what we’re made to do? But you, you’re crying over the death of one lowly human. A true sign of your weakness." Fey said. I ignored her, just wishing for the pain to end. Kill me, kill me, I prayed.

"A swift death is for honorable wolves. Ones who uphold our way of life. But you? We will not kill you...they will." Fey said, smiling at another end of the clearing. I raised my head, looking over at a group of hunters dressed in black.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Mistress." One of the hunters smiled, stepping forward. I closed my eyes, letting two of the hunters grab me and haul me off with them. I kept my eyes closed, feeling tears slip out despite my closed lids.

SKYE’S POV

I woke up, surrounded by Yixing and Tao. It was midday, and I looked around. The other wolves were all sprawled in the clearing in their wolf forms, sound asleep. One form was missing, and I looked around for Chanyeol. Baekhyun appeared next to me suddenly, and I jumped a little.

"Have you seen Chanyeol?" I asked. Baekhyun shook his head, looking around carefully. He looked worried, biting his lip.

"He usually stays with the pack when he shifts. I don’t know where he could be." Baekhyun said.

"Maybe he’s already back at camp." I suggested. Baekhyun shrugged, and I looked around as the other wolves started to wake up.

Kris and Tao both blinked awake, walking over to great each other. The others woke soon after, and we started sleepily walking back to camp. By the time we got there, we were surprised to find a very large group of supernaturals in our camp.

"Kris!" Suho ran forward, waving at the other alpha. I looked around, recognizing the kitsunes and Imugis, surprised as to why they were here.

"What’s going on?" I heard Kris ask. Suho pulled him aside, and I followed Yixing to where Seunghyun was sleeping on the ground. He had his arms wrapped protectively around Seungri, and Yixing set Jiyong down next to them.

"Where’s Taeyang?" I asked. Yixing shrugged, starting to attempt to heal Jiyong. After a good half hour of healing, Jiyong was sleeping peacefully.

"Everyone, gather round!" Kris called in his deep voice, summoning the wolves. I went too, curious as to what was going on.

"We’ve missed something very big." Kris said. He nodded at Suho, who continued talking.

"While we were gone, another faerie knight posing as Jiyong attacked and killed Taeyang. Seunghyun and Seungri survived, but the knight escaped. Now, we have to band together and reach the Army as soon as we can." Suho said. We all nodded, looking around.

"Where’s Chanyeol?" Yixing asked, also searching the crowd. We all froze, realizing we had no idea where Chanyeol was.

"Did anyone see him this morning?" Kris asked. There was a chorus of ‘no’, and the wolves started pacing.

"We need to go after him." I said. Baekhyun nodded next to me, but Sehun shook his head.

"I don’t think so. Sometimes the bigger wolves will stay out longer after a full moon. It’s normal. I’m sure Chanyeol’s fine." Sehun said. I nodded, seeing the wisdom in his words, but unable to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

"Okay. I’ll trust you." I said, curling up on a log. Before I knew it, I was sound asleep.

CHANYEOL’S POV

I stumbled forward, tired of being forced to walk for hours. The heavy chains around my neck and hands weighed me down, and I kept tripping over the ones around my ankles. The hunters were walking steadily, not showing signs of stopping, and I sighed.

"Can’t you just kill me?" I asked dully. I got a heavy punch to my cheek for my trouble, staggering back in shock at the suddenness.

"Don’t move a muscle." A commanding voice sounded. The noise of a gun being cocked also rang out, and the hunters froze.

"Unchain him." I looked up at the voice, shocked to see Luke standing there with a pistol in his hand and a glare on his face.

The hunters hurriedly released me, but I stayed where I was. I kept my eyes fixed at the ground, knowing Luke would kill me when he knew.

"Come on, Chanyeol." Luke said. I shook my head, staying firmly where I was. "Chanyeol, let’s go."

I shook my head, making Luke look at me impatiently.

"What is it?" Luke asked. I swallowed hard, looking fixedly at my bare feet. "Speak up, Chanyeol!"

"Luke. I...I screwed up." I said softly. Luke gave me a look, before stepping forward and grabbing my wrist.

"Everyone screws up. Let’s go." Luke said. I allowed him to pull me away, and stayed silent while we kept marching through the forest. I realized we were heading towards my camp, but didn’t care enough to do anything about it.

"How did you screw up?" Luke asked suddenly, looking over at me with something like fatherly concern in his eyes.

"I hurt someone I loved." I said. Luke nodded, walking with me.

"Everyone does that. It’s going to be okay." Luke said. I looked at him in surprise, wondering if he was another faerie in disguise.

"Really?" I said. Luke nodded, his boots crunching on the ground.

"Yeah. You know, when I was a little boy, I used to love to practice my martial arts skills. One time, I tried to do a takedown on my little brother. Slipped and split his skull wide open. But he forgave me, because he knew it was an accident. Chanyeol, I’m sure whoever you hurt will forgive you." Luke said. I felt the burning pressure of tears, and shook my head.

"She can’t forgive me. She’s dead." I choked out. In an instant, Luke wheeled around and pinned me to a tree. His arm was across my throat, cutting off my air, and he stared me down.

"Who? Who did you hurt?" Luke said frantically. I dropped my gaze away, choking out the word.

"Skye. I killed Skye." I gasped. Luke tightened his hold on me, raising a gun to my forehead. I closed my eyes, leaning into the cold press of metal and nodding.

"Do it. Please, kill me." I said. I heard the whisper of skin against metal as the trigger started creaking forward. Right before the gun popped, I heard a sweet voice shout from somewhere in front of us.

"Luke! What the hell?! Get away from him!" The gun left my temple immediately, and I dared to open my eyes. There, in front of me, was Skye. She looked furious and tired and confused and beautiful.

"Skye!" I exclaimed, leaping forward. I wrapped my arms her and crashed my lips to hers.

At first, she froze in shock, then her lips softened. I parted my lips too, gently across her bottom lip. She nipped my lip gently in response, both of us exploring the other’s mouth. Finally, we were both out of air and pulled back, resting our foreheads together. I gasped for breath, looking at her rosy cheeks and swollen lips. I pulled her in for a closer hug, savoring her touch.

"I love you."

SKYE’S POV

I looked up at Chanyeol, panting from the kiss. That was fantastic, I have to admit, and I felt my heart warm when he spoke.

"I love you." Chanyeol said. He looked deep into my eyes, revealing his honest soul, and I nodded.

"I love you, too." I said. Chanyeol smiled at me, giving me another peck on the lips before wrapping his arm around my shoulders and walking back to the campfire. I barely noticed a wary Luke trailing behind.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I growled in frustration, punching out at a tree. Of course, my hand passed right through, but it was the principle of the thing. I tried to calm my unnecessary breathing, tamping down the jealousy that raced through me. He kissed her!

My best friend just made out with the girl I love right in front of me! They couldn’t see me, but still! Was it my fault I was dead? Why did the universe cheat me so badly? Right when I find the perfect girl, I have to turn into a freaking ghost.

I flashed away, lurking into the darkest part of the forest and sulking all day. This really .

A second update in one day! I’m so proud of myself! Could I get some comments for that kiss? Huh, huh? *nudges you* It finally happened! Hopefully, their relationship will move faster now! Thanks so much to all my wonderful commentors (ers?), subscribers, upvoters and silent readers!

Saranghamnida, kamsamnida!

-Sujin

<3

Special thanks to Selinah, for always making me smile with her fantastic comments! <3