Falling

Don't Be Afraid of Me

    I blinked my eyes open sleepily, looking around an unfamiliar room. At first I was confused, then I remember the wolves from yesterday. I sat up with a start, immediately checking for exits. 
    I was in a square room that was quite large. The soft bed I was lying in had a green comforter and wooden chest at the foot. There was a wood dresser next to the bed, and two wood night stands. A candle on the stand wasn't lit, but still gave off a pleasant aroma. I could see tree branches swishing back and forth in the frame of the large window, and the wooden door in front of me was firmly shut. 
    Swinging my legs out of bed, I double-checked no one else was with me. When I found no one, I opened the wooden chest. Bottles of water, packages of food and extra blankets were all folded inside. I dig through it, finding a backpack and filling it with supplies. I also found a camping knife (bonus) and clipped it on my belt. 
    After listening for a few seconds, I tugged on the door. It was stuck, and I ripped it even harder. With a squeak, it opened wide and I tumbled forward a few steps. Into open air. 

    I screamed as I suddenly found myself dropping like a stone. I looked up, seeing trees stretching above me, and the ground rushing up to meet me below. This is it, I'm going to die after falling from a high place after surviving World War III. How does that work?
    I shut my eyes tight, windmilling my arms, and heard shouting below. God, how high up was I? A sudden blast of wind from below shot me a few feet back into the sky, and I felt constant air pressure preventing me from falling as fast. 
    Still, the ground was going to kill me in a matter of seconds. I finally stopped screaming right when I reached the packed dirt and slammed into it. But instead of dying and slamming into packed dirt, I found myself dropping into someone's arms. 
    "Oof!" I knocked over whoever had caught me, and we ended up sprawled on the floor in a tangle. I stayed flat on my back, trying to catch my breath, and stared up at the trees spinning above me. 
    "Skye!" I looked up, seeing a tall boy I didn't recognize leaning over me. I blinked, and he helped me sit up. 
    "I'm not dead." I murmured. I looked around, seeing Jongin had caught me. He was still laying down, another new boy checking a cut on his head. I guess he got hit when we fell...oops. 
    "Are you okay?" I looked up, seeing Suho standing above me. I tried to sit up, but he pushed me down gently. 
    "Let Yixing look at you before you try to move." Suho said. The boy who had been helping Jongin knelt by me gently, giving me a careful smile. 
    "Skye, I'm Yixing. I just want to make sure you didn't injure yourself, I'm not going to hurt you." Yixing said, shaking his brown hair out of his eyes. I nodded, and he gently tipped my head back. When nothing hurt, Yixing helped me stand and I thanked him. 
    After I had gotten over the fact I was still alive, I pulled back from the werewolves. They had doubled in number from last night, and there were twelve now. I followed Suho over to the fire crackling in the middle of some logs, and sat down. 
    Looking up now, I realized we were in a massive forest. The trees stretched high above us, filtering the light green. Six treehouses were connected by rope ladders between the trees, and I found the one I had fallen out of. 
    "Are you hungry?" Another boy asked, and I looked around at the ones I didn't know. There was Yixing, with his brown hair, and this boy who had a round face. Next to the tall boy who had first helped me was another man, even taller than the first, and they were talking in low voices. The last two were one boy with bright pink hair and the other with pronounced high cheekbones.  
    "Yes." I said, hugging my arms tight to my sides. He nodded, eyes blinking cutely as he took a bowl from next to the fire and filled it with rice from the pot. 
    "Here you go. I'm Xiumin." Xiumin said shyly, giving me the bowl while looking away. He snatched his hands away as soon as I grabbed the bowl, handing me a spoon. 
    "Thank you." I said, eyeing the werewolf just as suspiciously. He sat down on another log, fiddling nervously with his hands. I ate the rice, flinching when Yixing sat down next to me. He was slender, and moved fluidly, seemingly harmless. 
    "I know you don't want to be here. But, please, when you try to escape, don't hurt any of them too badly." Yixing murmured, not looking at me. I blinked in surprise, and he continued. 
    "We might seem dangerous, but we genuinely care about you." Yixing said. "Don't get hurt." 
    "O—okay. Who is everyone?" I asked. Yixing considered everyone, looking around. 
    "That's Xiumin." Yixing said, pointing to Xiumin. "That's Zitao, but everyone just calls him Tao." Yixing pointed to the boy who had helped me after I fell. He had black hair and dark eyes, looking around while he chatted with the tallest boy. 
    "Then, that's Kris. He's co-alpha with Suho." Yixing said, pointing to the tall boy. He had a cold expression and short black hair, but he smiled when he talked to Tao. 
    "Co-alpha?" I said, my curiosity getting the better of me. Yixing nodded, stretching out his legs. 
    "We used to be two packs, with two alphas. But we came together and formed one big pack, with leaders that rule together. The wolves you met yesterday—Sehun, Jongin, Kyungsoo, Suho, Baekhyun and Chanyeol—they're Suho's old pack. Me, Tao, Xiumin, Lu Han and Chen were from Kris' pack originally." Yixing explained. He then pointed to the boy with pink hair, rolling his eyes. 
    "That's Lu Han. He's going through a bit of a...phase. He found flowers and dyed his hair." Yixing said, rolling his eyes. Then he pointed out the attractive man next to Lu Han, the one with high cheekbones. 
    "The last one is Chen. He's a troll, so watch out for him. Always playing pranks on people." Yixing said. I nodded, digesting this information along with my rice. 
    You know, it's so much easier to hate something when that something doesn't have a face or a personality. I have to keep reminding myself that the pleasant boy talking to me right now could rip my stomach wide open if he felt like it. The shy boy sitting across from me nibbling on rice could tear my head from my body as easily as I opened a bottle of soda. 
    And don't even get me started on how weird it was I was alive right now. I've never heard of any creature being able to move as fast as Jongin. And what was with the wind? It blew from beneath me. I shook my head, convincing myself to let it go, and stood up. 
    "Am I allowed to take a walk?" I asked, wanting to search for possible escape areas. Yixing shrugged, standing up and walking over to Suho. They talked a bit, and Suho beckoned Kris over. 
    The two alphas talked lowly, finally beckoning Xiumin and Tao over. They talked for a little while, and Xiumin and Tao walked over.  
    "We're supposed to you." Xiumin said, blushing a little and picking at his shirt. Tao stared openly at me, biting his lips. 
    "What?" I finally snapped. Tao didn't flinch, only crossed his arms, and tilted his head to the side. 
    "I haven't seen a human this close in three years." Tao said. He didn't seem scared at all though, not like Xiumin, and led the way confidently into the forest. 
    "Just pick a direction and start walking." Tao said, not unkindly. I nodded, walking forward but still listening to them. Tao and Xiumin were mumbling to each other, and I could only catch a few words. What I heard surprised me. 
    "Kris...Suho...no powers...too obvious..." Tao was mumbling. Xiumin nodded, leaning in closer. 
    "Yeah...dangerous...hunters..." Xiumin said. I mulled over what they were talking about. I shrugged finally, gasping when we reached a large stream. 
    I ached to go swimming, and immediately took off my shoes and knife. Tao gave me a shocked look, stepping forward to stop me, but I ignored him and jumped in. 
    I splashed around underwater, letting the coolness lift my sticky hair off my neck. I finally bubbled to the surface, smiling a little. Xiumin and Tao stood on the bank, and Tao waved his arms. 
    "Skye, come back!" Tao yelled. I shook my head, turning a flip under water. I felt a tremor under the water, and surfaced. 
    "Skye, that water isn't safe! Come back, you can swim somewhere else!" Tao yelled. I started splashing back to shore, hearing Tao screech in fear. 
    "Should I stop it? It's too obvious, you heard what Kris said!" Tao shrieked at Xiumin. Xiumin shrugged, beckoning for me to hurry. 
    "If you don't stop it, I'll freeze it!" Xiumin said. Tao paced, beckoning for me to go faster. I was almost there when I felt something grab my leg. I screamed, looking back to see a giant water snake with three foot long tendrils by me. It was s around my leg, yanking me underwater, and I kicked out. 
    The shiny black monster didn't budge, and I screamed again. Forgetting my earlier fear for a moment, I screamed out. 
    "Tao, Xiumin, help me!" I yelled, pleading. Xiumin suddenly dropped to his knees, striking the ground with his hand and I paused in the water. 
    I looked around with wide eyes as the entire stream froze, holding the monster in place. The water formed ice instantly, also keeping me in place. I stopped moving, not knowing anything about what Xiumin just did. 
    "What...what is this?!" I yelled. Xiumin ducked his head and Tao groaned, wringing his hands.
    "Kris is gonna kill you." Tao said to Xiumin. Xiumin nodded slowly, looking down. 
    "I know."

I brought in EXO-M! And they have powers, Skye just doesn't know all about it yet. Please comment, subscribe and upvote! Sorry this is so late...
<3
—Sujin