Angel

Don't Be Afraid of Me

"Chanyeol!" I screamed, hanging off the edge as I watched him drop down. A sudden pair of hands on my waist dragged me backwards into safety and without another thought, Tao jumped off the cliff after Chanyeol. I scrambled forwards, breathing in a sigh of relief when I saw Tao clinging to the side of the cliff with one hand, the other arm wrapped around Chanyeol’s waist.

"Climb up." Tao said, heaving Chanyeol up so he could grasp the cliff. I saw him lock his hands in place, obediently struggling up the cliff. Tao did the same, both of them making slow progress. The cliff crumbled in their hands, rocks and snow tumbling down and making climbing difficult. Peniel appeared next to me, forcing me away from the edge of the cliff.

"They’ve got it under control." Peniel turned me away so I couldn’t look. Kyungsoo and Suho also ran up, creating footholds for them from rock and snow hardened so it didn’t slip away.

Finally, Chen and Jiyong dragged Tao and Chanyeol onto safe ground. They collapsed on their backs, both breathing in heavily. I stalked over to where Chanyeol was, kneeling next to him.

"Don’t ever do that to me again!" I cried, smacking his cheek. Chanyeol winced, rubbing his red cheek, and smiled when I kissed him.

"I’m sorry." Chanyeol said, looking up at me. I nodded, shifting my gaze over to Tao.

"Thank you." I said, patting his hand. Tao nodded, standing up and Chanyeol did the same. Chen was still peering over the side of the cliff, and he waved us over.

"Guys? We’ve got company." Chen said. We walked over, gulping when we saw hundreds of hunters staring directly at us. They were definitely aware of our presence now, and I saw some of them suiting up in rock climbing gear.

"They’re coming up here." Chen said. Suho immediately broke away, going to talk with Minhyuk. While they talked, the hunters starting climbing up the side of the cliff.

"Guys! What are we supposed to do?" Chanyeol asked. Tao cracked his knuckles, eyes flashing red.

"Don’t let them come up here." Tao said, lisping through his canines. Chanyeol nodded, pushing me behind him and making his hands glow with fire.

Chanyeol, Suho, Jiyong and Kyungsoo got to work, each destroying bits of the cliffs where hunters were climbing up. Tao, Chen and I hung back, ready to defeat anyone who got past the wolves and warlock.

Minhyuk and his friends stood with us, each brandishing either a gun or a wicked-looking knife of some kind. I was distracted when the first hunter made it over the cliff, running forward towards Tao. The werewolf landed a punch to his throat, killing him instantly, but more hunters started to pour over the sides of the cliff.

I looked around, realizing we were still missing 9 people, counting Baekhyun. There was no way we could beat all these hunters and survive. I didn’t decide to share this information though, focusing on putting a bullet in the head of a hunter about to stab Chanyeol. I succeeded, turning to find the next target.

A low growl from behind, and I swallowed hard when I saw the hundreds of werewolves stepping forward from the woods behind us. A tall female lead them forward - Fey. We were trapped.

"Chanyeol." I murmured. He turned, frowning when he saw Fey, and gasped as hunter plunged their dagger into his side. He dispatched the hunter, turning back to me, but I saw the second hunter next to him with his gun drawn.

Everyone froze for a second. The constant din of growling and metal clashing and guns popping faded into the background. The scuffling of snow and rocks around everyone’s feet stopped too, the cut on my cheek ceasing to hurt. All I saw was Chanyeol, and that gun.

I leapt forward, spinning around and slamming the heel of my foot into the hunter’s chest. He went plummeting over the side of the cliff, and my momentum carried me right over after him.

I screamed, finding myself pinwheeling through empty space, and abruptly jerked to a stop, slamming into something. I found myself rising back up quickly, feeling a warm solid weight coiled around my waist. I looked up into Kris’ brown eyes, his mouth twisting in a smirk.

"You didn’t think you could get away from us that easily, did you?" Kris smiled. I smiled back, letting him drop me gently on the ground and sighing when I saw the search party was back. Yixing and Seunghyun looked exhausted, but they disappeared away from the fighting quickly, carrying Xiumin between them.

Looking around, I felt another burst of energy course through me and I grabbed a knife. Facing off against countless hunters and werewolves, I fought with everything I had. I put my entire being into every slice, every kick, every punch. The pack was doing the same, all of them continuing to fight despite the multiple wounds they were covered with.

I turned, looking for the next enemy to fight, and instead found myself knocked over. I gasped against the heavy weight on my chest, coughing as I looked up into the ice blue eyes of a wolf. It snarled, showing perfect white fangs in a sinister grin, before its shape wavered. Fey crouched over me in her human form, a smile curling her lips and showing canines. Her eyes flashed as she pressed her forearm against my throat, laughing as I choked.

"See, if you had just stayed home with that precious little foster father of yours, none of this would’ve happened." Fey taunted, laughing at me. I gasped for air, feeling my vision start to go dark. I thrashed around, trying to escape, but she was too strong. She was going to kill me, and there was nothing I could do about it.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I could pick up sounds of a fight ahead, and I knew everyone else could too. We picked up speed, racing through the trees and soon burst into the middle of a giant fight. Hunters and werewolves battled my pack on the top of a cliff, while hunters and faerie knights fought on the ground below. We split in two, some attacking the faeries and hunters, others ascending the cliff to fight Fey’s pack and the hunters.

I faded in on the top of the cliff, feeling rage bubble up in my chest when I saw Fey, sprawled over an unconscious Skye, choking her. I let forth a feral growl, rushing forward and beaming the most powerful bit of light into Fey’s eyes as I could.

She screamed, wheeling back and releasing Skye. I got in between them, taking an unnecessary breath and ing my hands out, hitting Fey again with the most intense beam I could manage. I could feel it sapping my strength but I didn’t care, blasting her eyes as much as I could.

Fey screamed, clawing blindly at me, too disoriented to remember she couldn’t hurt me. I instead concentrated the light at her chest, firing it into her heart. I could feel her heart swelling, beating irregularly under the attack of the light. I knew I should stop now, but the urge to protect Skye was too much. This wolf had hurt Skye, and she was going to pay for it.

With a sickening sound Fey collapsed, a hollow pop resounding in my ears. I was sure I was the only one who could hear it, but I knew what it was. The second Fey’s heart burst, her wolves all stopped fighting. A massive black male wolf shifted back, Jaejoong reaching forward and picking up Fey’s body.

"This fight continues tomorrow." Jaejoong announced solemnly, his wolves following him back into the trees. A few members rushed forward to give chase, but Suho and Kris held them back.

We turned, but the hunters were repelling off the cliff, going back to their camp. I felt a sense of relief come over me, and I saw Skye start waking up. I went over to her, Chanyeol joining me.

"How do you feel?" Chanyeol asked, helping her sit up gently. I watched anxiously, making sure she was fine. Skye looked at me instead, giving me a serious look.

"I owe you my life. Baekhyun, you saved my life." Skye said. I shrugged, about to tell her it was nothing, when the most indescribable pain shot through me.

I screamed, collapsing on the ground, feeling like my shoulder blades were being crushed with a hammer. I didn’t understand, I wasn’t supposed to be able to feel pain anymore. I clenched my hands, screaming again as my entire spine cracked. It felt like my bones were moving around, breaking themselves and rearranging.

"Baekhyun! Baekhyun, what’s going on?!" Chanyeol yelled frantically. I ignored him, curling up in a ball and praying for the pain to go away. It ripped through my body in waves, my back spasming and twisting.

"Yixing! Come help!" Suho cried, kneeling by me. My heartbeat thumped in my ears, echoing painfully as my back snapped again. My shoulders were popping by themselves, flexing and moving around.

"What happened?" Yixing came running, dropping to his knees next to me and sending a spray of snow over me. I gasped for breath, twisting, and Yixing rested his hand on my shoulder. We both froze in shock, realizing his hand hadn’t gone through me, and Yixing yanked Suho away.

"Get away! Everyone get away from him!" Yixing yelled, making everyone back up. I immediately felt better, not choked in by all the people. I screamed again as another wave of pain hit me, the strongest one yet, and felt something rip through my back. The pain made me black out, and I dug my fingers into the snow, spiraling into darkness.

A few seconds later, I slowly came back to my senses. The pain in my back was gone, but something felt strangely heavy, like a toddler was sitting on my upper back. I raised my head, looking around at all the shocked faces of my pack. I slowly pushed myself off my stomach, standing up and almost falling again because of my altered balance.

"What’s going on?" I asked, my voice hoarse from screaming. Kris stepped forward slightly, resting his hand on my shoulder gently. I looked down, shocked at the contact of his hand.

His hand didn’t go through me. It rested, warm and rough on my shoulder. I took a deep breath, and realized I could hear my heartbeat thundering in my ears. Without thinking, I dragged my nails across my forearm, staring down at the scarlet that bloomed there in disbelief.

"I’m...I’m human?" I asked, looking up at Yixing. The healer shook his head, still looking shocked, and pointed to something behind me.

"No. Baekhyun, look behind you." I did as he asked and staggered again in shock.

A pair of giant white wings stretched from my back, where my shoulder blades should be. They were feathered, stretching a good twenty feet. I felt them, expecting the feathers to be soft. Instead, they were slightly hard, sharing the same texture as a photograph. I slipped my fingers underneath, feeling warm skin and shuddering at the delightful feeling. I ran my fingernails gently over the skin and muscle, feeling little pinpricks of pleasure spread across me, almost like when someone had scratched my back when I was a human.

"What am I?" I asked, turning back to Yixing. He shook his head, stepping forward.

"Change your eyes." I did as he asked, and the other wolves murmured softly. I looked at my reflection in a shard of ice Suho held up, and froze when I saw my eyes were silver.

"Baekhyun...you’re an angel."

HE’S ALIVE! Sort of... (I’ve gotta stop these capital letters...)

I told you I’d found a way to keep Baekhyun alive in this! What do we all think of an angel Baekhyun? Yes, no, maybe?

Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think~

Kamsamnida, saranghamnida!

-Sujin

<3