Border Crossing

Don't Be Afraid of Me

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I stood quietly by the side of the bed, watching Skye. She was asleep, her chest rising and falling rhythmically, her hair falling in her eyes. I reached out to smooth it away, but remembered I couldn’t and drew my hand back. I turned away, biting my lip, and flashed out of the room. I had work to do.

JIYONG’S POV

I groaned, sitting up stiffly. I was still sore from the faerie’s torture, and running all day yesterday hadn’t helped. Smoothing my hair out of my eyes, I got up and took a shower. When I was done, I scribbled something on the pad of paper the hotel provided, sending it away with a flick of my wrist and a flash of fire.

"Who was that to? Seunghyun murmured behind me. I turned, shrugging and pulling on my faded jeans and a borrowed shirt.

"Eunkwang. I think he can help us cross the border." I said. Seunghyun nodded, going around and starting to wake everyone up. I crossed my fingers, hoping Eunkwang would get the message and come to help us.

SKYE’S POV

I sighed, letting the hot water from the shower scrub away all the dirt. It relaxed my aching muscles, the pain from my hip diminishing. I twisted my hair up out of the way and pulled on dark jeans and a v-neck.

I went down to the tiny café by the front desk, running into Chanyeol on the way. He smiled, pulling my chair out for me and digging in his pocket for some loose change. After we had gotten two small coffees from the vending machine, we went back up to the rooms.

"Skye, Chanyeol, you’re here. Good. We were just discussing our plans." Suho said. We nodded, taking our place with the wolf pack. We were all squished in Kris’ room, Jiyong and Seunghyun standing at the front of the room.

"Seunghyun and I have some friends who will help us get across the border. Now that the war is in full force, if you don’t have papers proving you are human, you can’t enter Canada. Luckily, our friends run a trucking company, and we should be able to have them smuggle us in." Jiyong said. Everyone nodded, looking around and murmuring.

"We’re going to meet in a small clearing just by the border. We will be separated until we reach the warehouse where we’ll be staying the night. Everyone understand?" Seunghyun asked. When we all nodded again, Suho stepped forward.

"Alright, everyone grab your belongings, we’ll be meeting at the front desk in 10 minutes."

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I continuing running through the forest, flashing by quicker than a human eye could see. I poured more energy into my ghostly legs, barely touching the ground. While I ran, I thought.

All this, it was moving too fast. We meet Skye, we go to a lab, we escape from Fey, now we’re fighting a final battle? But against who? The pack was moving too fast into this, we needed answers. And I intended to get them.

All my life, I had heard about the evil mundanes. The ones who wanted war and strife. But I had never actually met one. Even the doctor who killed me was just looking for ways to defend himself and his kind from Occults. So who was the real antagonist? The Occults like Aurora and Fey who lived to terrorize people certainly were working against the greater good. So were we fighting them?

I sighed, shaking my head, and pushed myself farther into the night. I had an old friend who might have some answers for me.

CHANYEOL’S POV

I could smell the tension in the air. It hung heavy and thick as we crouched down in the snow, under the cover of pine trees. Skye squeezed my hand and I squeezed back gently. A roar in the distance built, until three large trucks appeared. Seven men hopped out, slamming their doors and looking around for us.

"Suho? Kris? Jiyong?" A young Asian man with dyed blonde hair called softly. Jiyong stepped forward and the two greeted each other warmly.

"Eunkwang. Thank you so much for coming." Jiyong said.

"No problem at all. The boys and I will be happy to help." Eunkwang said. He went around, pointing out all the young men standing behind him.

"Here’s Peniel, Ilhoon, Sungjae, Hyunsik, Changseob and Minhyuk." The men bowed and we bowed back, Kris and Suho introducing us.

"Skye, you can ride with Peniel and Ilhoon in the front seat. Because you’re human, you don’t have to hide." Eunkwang said. Skye nodded, and I stepped forward to follow her.

We all split up, hiding under various crates and in barrels. There was even a false floor in each truck, and I curled up in the small compartment. I immediately felt the thrum of claustrophobia, but shrugged it off. It smelled of gas and pine trees, and the steady rumble of the truck lulled me as we started driving forward. Hopefully, we wouldn’t get caught.

SKYE’S POV

After about half an hour of driving, I swallowed nervously as we pulled up to the border crossing station. Armed guards blocked the way, and Peniel got out to talk to them. He smiled goodnaturedly, and greeted the lead guard in a friendly way.

"Just the usual." Peniel said, his voice drifting back. The guard nodded, and he waved us through. Peniel got back in, sighing slightly in relief.

We drove through quickly, and I wondered at how easy that was. Apparently, there were benefits to having trucker friends.

We drove quietly through the snow for a while, Ilhoon fiddling with the spotty radio, and a sudden thud from the back of the truck made me look back. A low growl sounded, and Peniel immediately pulled over. Another thud sounded, and I hopped out.

"Chanyeol?" I called softly. More bangs sounded, and I stepped forward.

"Skye! I need you to open the truck for me, okay?" Chanyeol’s muffled voice shouted. "Then run back to the front of the truck as fast as you can!"

"Okay!" I unchained the back of the truck, Peniel and Ilhoon watching, and slid the hatch up. A blur of movement flashed by, quickly becoming Xiumin and Chanyeol pinning Sehun in the snow. The youngest wolf thrashed around, his red eyes glowing, and Chanyeol pressed him down.

"Hun-ah! It’s okay, you’re outside now! Look, see all the open space? You’re not trapped, it’s okay." Chanyeol exclaimed. Sehun’s thrashings eventually quieted, until they all three laid panting in the snow. Their eyes shifted back, becoming regular again, and Chanyeol slowly got up with a groan. He dusted the snow off his clothes, helping Xiumin up.

"Sorry about that. We get claustrophobic." Chanyeol said quietly. Peniel shrugged, smiling, and reached out to help Sehun up.

"Don’t worry about it. You guys can probably run behind the truck now if you need to, it’s safe enough." Ilhoon suggested.

"I’ll run with Sehun. You stay with the truck." Xiumin said softly to Chanyeol. Chanyeol nodded, hopping back into the truck, and Sehun and Xiumin took off into the trees.

We all climbed back into our places, and drove off, continuing for another hour. We finally pulled up to a small warehouse, lit by rickety lamps. We all went inside, warming our hands by one of the generators.

The others arrived quickly, all of us crowding together happily. Soon, our heat warmed up the small room, and we kept talking long into the night. When it was finally time for sleep, I curled up by Chanyeol, his arms wrapped around me and my head on his chest. I was just crossing the blurry line between sleep and wakefulness when a sudden thought hit me.

I bolted upright, startling Chanyeol awake, and looked around frantically. I counted the sleeping wolves quickly, doing it twice to be sure.

"Skye, what’s going on?" Chanyeol asked me softly, looking at me. I turned to him, panicking, and looked around again.

"Where are Xiumin and Sehun?!"

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I raced back through the snow and pine trees, whipping towards my friends. I had spoken with Leeteuk, and answers burned in my mind. I needed to reach my friends before it was too late, before the fighting started. I poured on more speed, flying past the border check.

Leeteuk had told me that all the Occults who wished to continue to harm humans would be there, ready to fight. But the human hunters had heard of the fight, and were coming to capture or kill as many Occults as they could. The Occults by themselves would be hard to beat, but my pack had to be prepared to fight human hunters too!

Everyone would be there; Fey, Aurora, the voodoo mistresses, the Furies...we couldn’t beat them by ourselves. I swallowed, pausing for a moment, then switched direction after a second of thought. The information would have to wait, I needed to go find more people. More people to help.

Guys, I’m so sorry this is so late. I’m a fail. I had no inspiration and then I had a double sleepover, so I’m just really disorganized. And then last night I wrote three oneshots instead of doing this...mianhae. *sobs in the corner*

I was reading all the comments for this story (82!) and I was really touched by all you guys. I hadn’t realized how much love and support this story was getting, and I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. My writing is everything to me, and I’m so glad people enjoy reading my work.

Yes, I know this chappie is terrible, but I have literally no inspiration and I didn’t want to not update so...here?

Mianhamnida, kamsamnida, saranghamnida~

-Sujin

<3