Tension

Don't Be Afraid of Me

CHANYEOL’S POV

I flexed my hand, looking down at the claws that curled from my fingertips. I growled in frustration, straining hard to maker them go away. Grudgingly, my nails shrunk back down, but I could feel my eyes glowing this time. I felt anger bubble up, a desire to punch something in my frustration, and took slow deep breaths to attempt to clam down.

The full moon was tomorrow night, and all of us were vibrating with the adrenaline of it. Every since Skye left, we’ve been edgier, more protective, but the moon makes it worse. Poor Sehun was unable to get rid of his tail, most under the moon’s influence. And Yixing, normally the most calm of us, was pacing the clearing darkly, muttering to himself.

I looked around the small clearing the wolves had claimed. None of the other supernaturals wanted to be around us when we shifted, and I couldn’t blame them. Kyungsoo and Xiumin-the quiet ones-had almost gotten in a fist fight today on who forgot to clean the dishes last night. I’ve never seen us this bad...

"How are you today?" Skye bounced up to me, moving oddly lightly even for her small size. I shrugged, growing tired of her constant questions.

"Fine." I said, feeling oddly creeped out by her presence. Before, Skye was able to put me at ease and feel happy, but now something about her seemed off. She smiled widely at me, flouncing away to go pester Yixing. He barely spared her a glance, now captivated by Lu Han’s Rubik’s Cube. I watched him angrily flick the cubes around for a while, finally tightening his hands in anger so much the cube snapped apart.

"Hey! That was my only cube!" Lu Han yelled, standing up angrily. Yixing gave him an apologetic look, bending down to pick up the pieces.

"I’m sorry, Lu Han, I didn’t mean to." Yixing said, giving the pieces to Lu Han. Lu Han stepped forward, smacking the cubes out of Yixing’s hands. Yixing looked at him with wide eyes, shocked as Lu Han continued to yell at him.

"You did that on purpose!" Lu Han yelled. His eyes flared red, canines showing as he yelled. By now, the other wolves were gathered around, growling softly as they picked up on the tension in the air.

"It was an accident!" Yixing yelled back, his own eyes changing. He and Lu Han were nose to nose, growling in each other’s faces.

"Guys, let’s take it down a few notches..." Kris said, putting an arm in between the fighting brothers. Lu Han and Yixing ignored him, staring each other down.

"Knock it off." Kris said, slightly more authoritatively, growling the words. Yixing nodded, turning abruptly on his heel and walking away.

He got about 6 feet away before a small stone jumped up and slammed into the back of his head. Yixing turned with a snarl, meeting Lu Han’s smirk.

"Ow! What the hell, Lu Han?!" Yixing snarled, stepping back up. Lu Han smirked again, prodding Yixing’s chest with his finger.

"And just what-" another poke "are you-" another jab "gonna do about it?" Lu Han said. Yixing grabbed his hand, twisting it behind Lu Han. In seconds they both exploded in an all out fight, only stopped when Kris grabbed their collars and knocked their heads together hard enough to make Lu Han lose consciousness for a few seconds.

"Will you two idiots KNOCK IT OFF?!" Kris yelled, holding them off the ground and staring at them with burning red eyes. All the other wolves but Suho flinched, naturally afraid of the alpha’s anger.

Kris sighed in frustration, dropping them both in a heap on the ground, and Yixing looked away. Lu Han did the same, both of them ignoring each other like they were 7.

I knew they had acted foolishly, but I couldn’t help but feel the same tension running through me. The urge to growl and fight and shred any kind of living flesh I could find. I felt liquid fire running through my veins, changing my eyes and giving extra power to my muscles. How badly I wanted to let go, to just disappear into the forest and howl until I couldn’t anymore. But I had to stay. Stay for Skye. Stay behind, and stay human.

SKYE’S POV

I blinked my eyes open slowly, looking around. Jiyong was nothing but a crumpled heap next to me, but I could smell blood in the air. I nudged him gently, gasping when he raised his head and exposed the blood running down his neck from a cut over his eye.

"Skye. You’re awake." Jiyong rasped, his voice raw and sluggish. I nodded, turning to him. My hands were bound, and I saw similar rope chafing bloody circles on his wrists.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" I asked, trying to see him in the dark. He was wearing loose jeans, but his shirt was gone and blood was smeared on his torso. Ugly burns covered his chest, making me wince at the pain.

"I’ll be okay. Are you hurt?" Jiyong asked. I shrugged, shaking my throbbing head carefully.

"What’s going on?" I asked. Jiyong shrugged, struggling up into a sitting position. He rested his back against the bars of the cell, looking around.

"We’ve been taken by the Seelie Court. Don’t worry, your pack will come back for you though." Jiyong said, giving me a reassuring look. I nodded, knowing the wolves would help Jiyong too.

But what about what the guard had said? How would the wolves even know to come for us? Why were fairies so tricky?

CHANYEOL’S POV

A few hours later, we were all clustered around a campfire. Skye was next to me, watching me carve something out of a piece of wood. I kept messing up, using too much pressure with my knife and having to start with a new piece. It was frustrating enough without her constant questions, and I could feel my annoyance building.

"What are you making?" Skye chirped next to me. She was sitting way too close, her hair falling into my face. I batted it away angrily, feeling too closed in.

"Could you please just stop with the questions for a while?" I asked, gritting my elongating teeth and trying to keep my hands from trembling with anger.

"What kind of wood is that?" Skye asked, poking my side. I growled, feeling my claws slide a little and then retract when I regained control.

"Stop, please." I was already dangerously close to losing control, and she wasn’t helping. Skye turned away for a second, then poked my cheek. Her nail stabbed into my skin, drawing blood, and I tried to ignore it. The scent of blood still filled my nose, making my eyes flicker and my teeth ache.

"Are you sure you’re doing that right? Are you tired? Is that a mistake?" Skye chirped nonstop, pointing to a flaw in my carving.

Something snapped inside me, whether it was the questions or the blood or the stress, I’ll never know. I leapt up, loosing a full growl and drawing back my arm. Before anyone could react, I swiped out, dragging my claws down and slicing across Skye’s outstretched arm. She leapt back with a scream, blood spurting from her arm and adding to the scent in the air.

"Chanyeol!" I felt restraining arms on my shoulders, Tao yanking me to the floor and pinning me down as I thrashed. I rumbled a growl, stopping when the scent of Skye’s blood reached my nose. It smelled oddly of...roses.

"Suho!" Xiumin exclaimed, looking up from examining Skye’s arm with a shocked expression. I looked too, twisting awkwardly. Oh my god, what have I done?

Three long slashes stretched up Skye’s arm, crying crimson tears. But strangely, Skye was not crying. Instead, she looked...surprised.

In a few seconds, I watched as the claw marks closed by themselves, the blood vanishing. The smell of roses grew thicker, Skye’s form wavering and then shifting, to someone with red hair and blood red lips. Aurora.

In a second, Kris was on top of her, holding her down with an arm across . I was still in shock, looking at Aurora’s green eyes. I was right all this time? But still...I had lost control.

If that had really been Skye, would I have been able to stop myself? Would I have been able to resist from tearing into her like that? I knew deep down, the answer was no. I was a monster, and I hadn’t even thought twice about hurting her before.

Guys! It’s an update! And I love all the angsty y anger and tension in this chappie, I’m not gonna lie. Comment and tell me if you like the update! I’m so sorry it’s so late, I was really busy this week, and then today when I was working I sliced my foot open on a stick and still had like 4 hours to work, so I was a little slow dragging myself to my computer...sorry!

I love you all, and some comments would be really lovely for dongsaeng!

Kamsamnida, saranghamnida <3

-Sujin

(Hopefully more tomorrow!)