Powers

Don't Be Afraid of Me

I stared deep into the yellow-green eyes of the massive water snake wrapped around my leg. Its mouth was open, giant needle-like teeth exposed, and its feelers splayed around its head, frozen in place by the ice coating everything. I tugged on my leg, also held in place by the frozen river.

'Dont try to move, just give me a second!' Xiumin called, cupping his hands around his mouth. He walked over to me, grabbing my exposed hand.

Warmth flooded back through my body, the ice encasing my body melting slowly. Xiumin yanked me out by hand, laying me down on the shore. I shivered and Tao wrapped his sweatshirt around me while Xiumin turned back and unfroze the water.

The water snake disappeared with another high-pitched shriek, flipping back under the water. I shuddered, recalling just how close I had been to dying today...two times! I stood up shakily, looking at Tao and Xiumin. Both of them refused to meet my eyes now, and I braced my hands on my hips.

'What the hell was that?' I asked. 'You're werewolves, not ing magicians! How did that happen?'

'I can explain...' Xiumin started in his shy voice. I cocked my hip, backing away from them even more. Now, on top of them being stronger, faster and much more dangerous than me, they had super powers?! So not fair.

'Were not like most werewolves-' Tao started, looking down.

'No .' I said sarcastically, interrupting him. Tao nodded, letting Xiumin take over from there.

'All of us have different gifts. Just special things that make us even more endangered; because other supernaturals dont want anything to do with us, and are quite happy to kill us.' Xiumin said, looking down at his hands. I nodded, I could understand werewolves wanting to kill you, but this was just too weird.

'So you have gifts that make it easier to hurt mundies?' I asked. If all werewolves were able to get gifts like this, the human race was toast.

'No! Of course not! We would never hurt a human.' Tao said. Xiumin nodded vigorously behind him, and Tao nodded too.

'This morning, Sehun and Jongin used their gifts to save you.' Xiumin pointed out. I frowned in confusion, tilting my head to the side.

'What?' I asked. I recalled Jongin catching me this morning, but nothing about Sehun helping.

'And Yixing helped too.' Tao added. Xiumin nodded, and I waited - almost patiently - for them to tell me what they were talking about.

'Sehun used wind to blast you up higher to give Jongin enough time to flash and catch you.' Xiumin said.

'Wait, Jongin flashed me?' I said, not understanding. Tao gave out a high-pitched giggle and Xiumin smiled.

'No! Jongin can teleport. We call it flashing when he shows up places.' Xiumin said. 'Usually places hes not supposed to be.' Xiumin added, muttering.

'What can Yixing do?' I asked. I didnt remember anything significantly otherworldly about him except for his werewolfness.

'Him? He's our healer. Takes care of us whenever we get hurt'. Tao said. I nodded, at least that talent couldnt be used to hurt anyone.

'What can everyone else do?' I asked. Tao shrugged, ticking off names on his fingers and tilting his head to the side.

'Xiumin can control frost, Jongin can teleport, Sehun controls wind, I can control time...Kris can fly, Suho can control water and Kyungsoo can control earth and stuff...' Tao trailed off, still thinking.

'Yixing can heal, Chanyeol can control fire, Chen can control lightning and make storms and Lu Han can do telekinesis and stuff.' Xiumin said. I tilted my head to the side, mentally matching the wolves with their powers.

'What about Baekhyun?' I asked, wondering why the touchy werewolf was so continually pissed off. He hadnt said a word to me this morning, only sending burning hot glares in my direction since yesterday.

'Well, ah...' Xiumin trailed off, looking awkward and sharing a glance with Tao. He stepped in instead, shaking his head.

'We don't really talk about Baekhyun's power and he doesn't use it.' Tao said, shaking his head. I frowned, wanting to know more, but Xiumin gave me a warning look. The last thing I needed was an upset werewolf, and, as sweet as Xiumin was, I wasnt going to anger him on purpose.

'Okay. Can we go back now, I'm cold.' I said, shivering despite Tao's sweatshirt. The boys nodded, turning around and letting me walk in front of them through the forest. Tao kept me occupied talking, and by the time we had gotten back to camp, I cursed myself for forgetting to watch for escape routes.

I sighed in frustration, sitting down on a log next to Yixing. Surprisedly, I was more comfortable around him, but he still scared me a little.

'How was your walk?' Yixing asked, looking up from the book he was reading. I was shocked to see a book, I hadnt seen one in three years. Shaking my head free of these distracting thoughts, I looked over at Yixing seriously.

'I know.' I said. Yixing looked down at me mildly, looking slightly surprised but not at all freaked out.

'Are you going to tell anyone?' Yixing asked, marking his page with his thumb and shutting his book. He leaned back, appraising me with soft brown eyes.

'Who would I tell?!' I exclaimed, looking around. I felt someone staring at me, and turned my head to meet the heavy gaze of Baekhyun. He held my eyes for a moment before turning around and walking into the forest.

'Are you going to tell anyone?' Yixing repeated again, ignoring Baekhyun. I shook my head, and Yixing gave me a small smile.

'Good. I'll let everyone know to act normal now. It was hard to make a fire this morning without Chanyeol, I'll be honest.' Yixing said, standing up.

I stayed by myself on the log, through the rest of the day and dinner, watching the boys talk and laugh. Its funny, now they seem like the boys I remember dimly from my middle school, not bloodthirsty creatures from hell who could kill me. I shook my head to clear it, and watched as Chanyeol limped over to me.

'How's your leg?' I asked. Chanyeol smiled widely, flashing his spotless white teeth, and sat down next to me. I flinched back slightly and Chanyeol answered it with a flinch of his own. We both smiled slightly at our jumpiness, but my smile didnt reach my eyes. I couldn't help it, these boys made me jumpy. Well, Baekhyun made me outright nervous, and I caught him watching me from the other side of the fire.

'Almost back to normal, thanks. Yixing worked on it a little while you were gone, but he said it wouldve healed fine because of what you did. Thank you.' Chanyeol smiled, his brown eyes sparking. I admit, he was incredibly handsome for a werewolf, but I didn't want to think that way. Not now, especially.

'You're welcome.' I said, giving him a small smile of my own. We talked a little bit, sitting together awkwardly, until Suho put out the fire (with the most awesome water tricks Ive ever seen) and called for the boys to help me up to my room.

'Skye, if you want, 'Ill move you up there.' Lu Han said shyly, looking down at his feet. I nodded, and he raised his hand slowly. I felt myself float upwards and had to fight a wave of dizziness. The ground dropped away slowly, and I found myself next to the door to the tree house I had fallen out of this morning. Jongin appeared next to me, making me jump, and he opened the door.

'Try not to fall again. If you need something, just yell. Were all connected, so someone will come.' Jongin said, gesturing to the bridges stringing the houses together. I nodded, thanking him, and he appeared in front of the house to my left. He waved, before going inside with Kyungsoo.

'Good night!' Chanyeol chirped from in front of me. I smiled back slightly, and he smiled even wider.

'Good night, Chanyeol.' I said, wondering which house he would go into. When he didn't move, I looked around at everyone else. Tao and Kris were going into the house to my right, and I saw Yixing and Suho disappear in another house. Xiumin and Chen went into the one next to Kris and Taos, and Sehun and Lu Han took the last one.

Sweet dreams. Chanyeol said, stepping back to go back to the ground. I stepped forward slightly, catching his arm. He looked back me, and I immediately yanked my hand away. It was the first time since healing him I had touched a werewolf willingly (not counting Xiumin saving me), and I didnt know how I felt about it.

'Where are you and Baekhyun sleeping?' I asked, seeing the black haired werewolf stretched out on the ground below.

'Down there.' Chanyeol said naturally. I then realized I was sleeping in their bedroom/house thingy, and felt slightly bad.

'I don't mean to stay here and take your bed.' I said, realizing with a start that I had slept in his bed. I had slept in a freaking werewolfs bed! Actually, the bed for TWO werewolves! For not wanting to have anything to do with them, that was disturbingly personal for me. I mean, you dont sleep in just anyones bed, even if theyre not there. Thankfully, Chanyeol snapped me out of my panicky thoughts, and I looked at him.

'It's no trouble at all. We don't mind, and Kris thought you might be tempted to run away if you were on the ground.' Chanyeol said. He turned back, waving, and then dropped to the ground. He landed a good forty feet below with a soft thump, then stood up and laid down next to Baekhyun.

I shrugged, going inside and laying down. I decided that no matter how gentle these werewolves were being, I was going to get away tonight. I couldn't afford to waste time here, so I waited until I could only hear snores from all around.

Grabbing my backpack and knife from before, I opened the door carefully, trying to avoid making noise. With superhuman ears all around me, the smallest creak could finish me. I slowly reached the nearest branch of the tree and slung my pack over my back.

I clenched the knife between my teeth, slowly climbing down. It was hard work, and I was sweating by the time I was halfway down the trunk. I kept going though, and I made it to the bottom eventually. Looking around, I saw Chanyeol curled up sleepily in a ball, and I tiptoed around him. As strange as it sounded, I might actually kind of miss him and Yixing. And Suho was very kind. Not to mention Jongin had saved my life.

Shaking my head, I crept out into the dark trees. Blackness pressed in from all sides, and I frantically tried to make my way through the trees. Using the flashlight I had found in my pack would only give me away, so I had to be content with tripping over roots and bruising my knees on tree trunks.

After a half hour of this, I came to a clearing. It was lit slightly by the moonlight, and I didnt see the figure sitting in the shadows. I froze when a low voice rumbled, drawing my knife.

'What are you doing, little red riding hood?' The voice wasn't familiar, but the glowing eyes were now a commonplace sight.

'Who are you?' I asked, trying to control myself.

'The big bad wolf.' the werewolf drew out his words, his eyes moving around the clearing as he walked closer.

'Look, Im not looking for trouble. Just let me through.' I said, holding my knife strongly. A low laugh made the hairs on my neck stand up straight, and I tried to track where he was.

I felt a clawed hand grab my arm and I spun, slicing out blindly. Another teasing tap came on the top of my head, and I cut up. A light hit on my side made me turn again, and I was getting frustrated. I was about to start blinding kicking and slicing when a strong voice cut through the clearing.

'What the hell is going on?!' A very pissed-off Baekhyun growled, making the werewolf by me immediately stop.

'Aww, Baek, Im just having some fun. You know I wouldnt hurt her.' the werewolf whined, sounding like a child.

'You were acting creepy as , stop doing that, Eunhyuk. Now, get out of here before I get Donghae to come beat your .' Baekhyun threatened. A sudden light blazed up like a lantern, and I saw with a start it was coming from Baekhyuns outstretched palm.

'Ugh, fiiiiiiine.' Eunhyuk moaned, turning away. 'Nice to meet you, little red riding hood.' I shuddered again, still creeped out by him, and watched him slink back into the night.

'Now, what were you doing all the way out here?' Baekhyun said, grabbing my arm and pulling me after him. His palm went out, plunging us into darkness, and I tripped over a root.

'Clumsy mundie.' I heard Baekhyun mutter. It irked me, I wasnt the one who turned out his palm light and left the human in the dark.

'Well, what were you doing?' Baekhyun demanded, sounding like he was daring me to lie.

'Out for an evening hike?' I tried, failing at making a convincing lie. Baekhyun snorted, looking away, and I felt the pressure of his fingers relax a little.

'Yeah, next time you escape, do it right so I dont have to save you from Eunhyuk again.' Baekhyun said mockingly. I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to start an argument with the moodiest werewolf of the group. Instead, I tried to change the subject.

'So...you control light?' I said, trying to find a safe subject. Bad move, the pressure on my arm was back again and a scowl twisted Baekhyuns face.

'It's a stupid gift. I'm totally useless, you don't have to pretend to be interested.' Baekhyun said, sounding angry. But I had been around enough boys in the last few days to know he was really angry at himself, not me.

'No, it's actually really useful. Especially to clumsy mundies like me.' I said, shocked the words rolled so easily out of my mouth. I would never of thought I would be walking through the woods at night with a werewolf and making jokes at the same time.

A strange, twisted sound came from Baekhyun, and I wondered if I had killed him with my terrible joke. Then I realized he was chuckling, and I smiled a little too. The pressure left my arm altogether, and I suddenly missed the warmth his hand had given me.

We reached home camp, and Baekhyun helped me climb back up to the treehouse. He paused outside, pulling the door closed and locking it demonstratively.

'Now, stay!' I heard his voice command from outside.

'Woof!' I said teasingly. A low, scary growl sounded from outside, and I tensed in bed. I had really made him angry, and now Baekhyun was going to come in here and rip me apart. Right when I prepared myself to escape, Baekhyuns low laugh reached me, and I smiled too. I heard the telltale thump of him jumping down, and made myself comfortable in bed.

Maybe Baekhyun wasnt so bad after all.

Hello people! So, the iPad I use to write stories for the school year is taken by my school over the summer, so I spent like three hours today transferring everything to my mom’s crappy computer. To make up for it, and for taking so long updating my stories, here’s an extra long update!

So, as you can see with the roommate plans, I’ve included some minor shipping. Leave a comment and tell me if you want any real romantic ships in here or just bromances. Also include what ships you want, but please recognize that Baekyeol and Sulay are off limits. So, your choices are Xiuchen, Taoris (my personal favorite), Kaisoo and Hunhan. Choose well!

Also, please comment to tell me what boy you want Skye to end up with. I’ve already gotten one vote for Chanyeol, so I’ll definitely make the next chapter more Chanyeol oriented. You can choose from Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Suho or Yixing - choose well!

Also, comments about anything are appreciated, so are subscribers, and I’m DYING for just one upvote!

Jebal, my lovelies!

Alright, thanks for reading, more tomorrow!

Love you guys, later!

-Sujin

 

(Sorry for the weird formatting!)

 

Okay, so I just went through and editted in all the missing things I could find, if there're still some there, justjust go with it