Dead?

Don't Be Afraid of Me

SKYE’S POV

A loud crash woke me up, and I jerked awake. The machines next to my bed beat rhythmically with my heart, and I slowly bent my hand back in vain to rip out my IV. I finally jerked enough that the needle shot out, and I used it to carefully pick the lock on my handcuffs. When they were off, I stood up and changed quickly into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt next to my bed.

I froze when the door suddenly swung open, grabbing a chair to throw at whoever was coming in. I paused when I saw Luke walk inside quickly, closing the door behind him. He turned with a surprised look when he saw me standing up and dressed. I made as if to throw the chair anyway, and he held up his hands pleadingly.

"Skye, wait!" Luke said. I paused, narrowing my eyes as I listened. "I know you hate me. But I’m here to get you out of here safely, just trust me for the next hour. Please." Luke pleaded. I frowned, knowing I needed his help to get everyone out, and nodded once.

"Fine. But if you make one wrong move, I won’t stop them from ripping you apart this time." I warned. Luke nodded, beckoning for me to follow and ducking into the hallway. He was wearing a white doctor’s coat, and no one stopped to question us.

"Just keep your head down, we’re almost there." Luke whispered. I nodded, then stopped suddenly. He looked back, gesturing for me to hurry, and I saw the exit sign not far ahead.

"We can’t leave the boys." I said stubbornly. Luke walked to me, shaking his head.

"It’s too dangerous, the wolves are on their own." Luke said. He went to grab my hand, and I shook him off.

"They’re my brothers now; they go or I don’t." I said. Luke debated internally for a few seconds before sighing and shaking his head.

"Fine." Luke changed direction, walking deeper into the hospital building. I saw the ID tag swinging from his stolen jacket, and he used it to get us to the lowest level of the hospital.

"Watch out." Luke handed me a handgun, pulling out and cocking his own. I nodded, following him quickly as we exited the elevator and scanned through a guard station. We ducked around several corners, dodging guards, and froze when a doctor passed us. He was talking to a guard, shaking his head, and I listened in.

"Amazing how quickly it effects them. I’ll have to get this news to the mayor, and see if he can make a weapon that utilizes aconite." The doctor was saying, smiling widely as he walked. I froze, remembering Yixing explaining to me about aconite, and prayed the wolves were alright.

"Come on." Luke led me around the last corner, holding out his card to scan into a heavily secured room, and froze when a tall man in a lab coat stood in front of the door next to three other men in matching coats. Luke pulled me back, and I watched as the tall doctor and another man both started coughing. The one in front turned, and I ran forward with a soft cry.

"Kris!" I said as loudly as I dared. Kris kept coughing, but the rest turned to me. Jongin and Tao embraced me, Suho continuing to cough like Kris. I noticed a strange smell hanging around, and Jongin and Tao coughed a few times as well.

"How are you here?" Tao asked. I pointed back, seeing Luke standing in the middle of the hallway, gun at his side. Tao growled, but I placed a hand against his chest gently.

"He’s here to help, I promise." I said. Kris and Suho nodded, and I wondered what was going on with them. Tao coughed again, and I gave him a concerned look.

"What’s wrong?" I asked. Tao gave me a knowing look, shaking his head.

"Do you smell that? It’s aconite. It’s poison."

CHANYEOL’S POV

"I want to test the theory that aconite poisons werewolves." Rob smiled cruelly, holding out his hands. The guard handed him a plastic bag of flowers and what looked like a lighter, and I shrank back.

"Wait, no! You can’t!" I said. I looked over at Baekhyun, still unconscious, and knew he was too weak to survive even the smallest exposure.

"I can and I will." Rob said, drawing the plants out of the protective covering. Baekhyun’s breathing quickened, and I wished there was some way for me keep him from breathing the fumes.

"No, you’ll kill him! He’s too weak for it, he’ll die in a few seconds if you expose him!" I said. I tried to stand, stopped by my chains, and gave Rob a helpless look.

"I need to know how quickly it affects you." Rob said, placing a small of aconite on the ground in front of him, holding the lighter.

"Rob, I’m begging you. Please, just test me." I said. Rob shook his head, flicking his thumb and holding the flame just above the aconite.

"I need two subjects, to compare and contrast. My variable is his head wound, seeing if being injured makes you more susceptible." Rob said, touching the flame to the aconite and making dark smoke shoot up immediately. Baekhyun coughed, and I could feel my own chest tightening.

I looked down, watching the fumes get nearer and nearer us. I did the only thing I could think of, throwing myself down onto the smoking pile. I swallowed a scream as both the fire and herb burned me, rolling around to put it out. Baekhyun was coughing outright now, choking for air. I coughed too, fighting for breath through the pain. With a sinking feeling, my chest completely constricted, plunging me into immediate darkness.

SEUNGHYUN’S POV

I sighed, beckoning for the others to follow me. I placed my hand over the locked door to the two wolves’ hospital room, unlocking the mechanism inside. We swung inside, and I looked down at the taller wolf. He was younger, with a gash on his calf, and another one on his face from when a guard tackled him down.

Stupid. I thought, wishing they had waited. My boys and I would’ve been able to break them out much easier without them meddling. My eyes flashed as I unlocked the cuffs holding the younger’s legs and arms to the bed. Taeyang used his own magic to help the other wolf, and Jiyong and Seungri each shouldered a wolf. I helped Jiyong and Daesung helped Seungri while Taeyang kept an eye out for guards. We made our way down the corridor, and Taeyang stiffened suddenly.

‘I can sense more wolves below.’ Taeyang said telepathically, a power only he had. The humans in our group-Daesung and Seungri-couldn’t hear him, but Jiyong and I could. Jiyong nodded, and we started making our way to the lower levels of the hospital.

"Smell that?" Jiyong said, taking a deep breath. I did the same, twitching when my sensitive nose detected the smell of aconite-wolfsbane. Seungri and Daesung were used to our advanced senses, and ignored us.

"Aconite." Taeyang said. He reached into his pack, pulling out a plastic bottle filled with a weird, dark green fluid.

"Gross! What is that?" Seungri pulled a face, helping support the taller wolf while he put as much distance between him and Taeyang’s potion as possible.

"Something my people make to combat the effects of aconite." Taeyang said, rolling his eyes in annoyance at Seungri.

"ing weird- plant witch." Seungri mumbled. Taeyang’s eyes snapped to the human, eyes flashing bright green in anger. He bared his pointed white teeth, slightly pointed ears showing more.

"We’re not plant witches, we’re faeries. And I’m not even a full faerie, I’m only a half!" Taeyang growled out. Seungri shrugged, and I knew they would bicker all day if I let them.

"Okay, stupid human and hormonal half-faerie, the tallest half-demon is telling you to shut the hell up and get moving." I hissed. Jiyong shot me a dirty look-miffed by the height comment-and flashed his eyes at me jokingly.

"Come on, you heard Seunghyun. Let’s go." Daesung said. I was grateful for his sanity, and we all started walking down the corridor, senses alert for anything.

SKYE’S POV

Kris, Suho and I stayed back while Jongin and Tao unlocked the door along with Luke. Because Kris and Suho were alphas, the aconite affected them much more strongly, and their packmates had insisted they stay towards the back. Nonetheless, when the door was open, Kris shoved to the front past Luke and sprinted inside. I followed, Luke next to me, and Tao came next. The smell of aconite was much stronger in here, and Kris was doubled over coughing. I gasped when I saw both Chanyeol and Baekhyun stretched out on the floor, lifeless.

"Kris, Suho, get out of here!" I said. Kris gave me a stubborn look, wiping dark fluid from his lips, and I gave him a gentle push towards the door. "You won’t help if you get poisoned yourself, go so I can take care of it."

I turned back to Chanyeol and Baekhyun, grateful to see Jongin picking the lock on Chanyeol’s hand chains with his long fingernail. Tao did the same with Baekhyun, wincing when the slender wolf sagged against him, pale as could be. After a few minutes, the chains were off, but Jongin and Tao had started coughing.

"Get out, I’ll get them." I said, seeing Tao starting to sway. He and Jongin nodded, going back to join the others. I beckoned Luke down, and he grabbed Chanyeol’s arm and started dragging the wolf out. Chanyeol didn’t move, and I saw a smear of blood following him on the floor.

"Stop, he’s hurt!" I said. Luke ignored me, dragging Chanyeol even faster out of the room. I thought he had gone back on his word and was intent on hurting Chanyeol, and I ran to catch him.

"What are you doing?" I said, pulling on Luke’s arm. Luke pushed me away, finally stopping outside the room and flipping Chanyeol over on his back. I covered my mouth at the raw, bloody burn covering Chanyeol’s side and part of his abdomen and chest. Luke drew his knife, flicking it out and holding it right above Chanyeol, and everyone leapt forward to stop him.

Before we could react, Luke sliced down...severing his own jacket hem with a ripping sound. I sighed in relief as he cut out a square of fabric and beckoned Tao over. The tall wolf approached Luke warily, taking the cloth quickly, and wiping down the burn. Chanyeol moaned, and I winced as more blood came to the surface.

"We have to get rid of the remnants of any aconite." Luke said, going back for Baekhyun. It surprised me when he walked out actually carrying the injured wolf, instead of just dragging him. He set Baekhyun down gently, shaking his head.

"What?" I asked, looking down at Baekhyun’s slack, pale face.

"It’s-" Luke visibly stopped and corrected himself. "He’s dead."

If I get just one story comment, I’ll update again later today! What does everyone think, nobody kill me please! It’s just, the love triangle with Baekhyun was so complicated, I didn’t know who he would end up without Skye and she was destined for Chanyeol and it’s just..he had to go.

Or am I just messing with you, and he’s still totally alive and love triangle is in play because I love writing angsty romances? You tell me... *laughs evilly*

Saranghamnida! Kamsahamnida!

-Sujin

<3