35

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

I looked at Dr. Ming closely as he reached to get a bottle of whiskey on the top shelf. He seemed so eager to drink it. I could tell by the look in his eyes. Tch, way to kill your liver Doctor. After he reached it, he sighed satisfyingly and wiped his temples. And he wasn’t even sweating! Aish. He grinned and read the label.

“Jack Daniels… oooh …I shall have this.”

He slipped the bottle inside his bag and turned to me. “It’s really nice to have a patient like that bastard.” I looked at him surprisingly. It really makes me think twice whether he is really a licensed doctor or not. Tch.

“U-uhh, s-sure.” I replied. Dr. Ming shrugged and then whistled his way to the door. I followed behind. “He’s sick because he overworks himself. That bastard doesn’t even listen to any doctor’s advice and he contacts them when he’s in trouble. Hard headed eh?” he looked at me.

I don’t know what the hell he is talking about. I mean I understand but I don’t get why he looks at me like that. Ugh. I don’t even know what he really thinks about Mr. Kim. Does he like him or what?

I gave him a maybe look and he seemed satisfied with it and continued on talking.

“Medications aren’t really the best options, he’s been having it since I could remember. His tolerance level might rise up and it can seriously damage his liver.” Ooooh, talk about this soju drinking ahjussi more concerned about somebody else’s liver than his. Way to go.

“Give him rest. Don’t let him work tomorrow and the day after that. Water, water, water and massage those points I showed you, it would relax him more and makes his recovery faster.”

Let gorilla hibernate.

Drown gorilla with agua.

Massage gorilla’s back.

I nodded while writing it down on the paper he gave me a while ago. “Okay, got that.” I smiled politely and clicked my pen then he opened the door. “Good and Ms. Hoohee—”

“It’s Dohee.” I corrected him, raising my pen midair.

“I mean Dohee, don’t let him eat those chocolate energy bars, his tonsils might inflate if he keeps on eating those and he might even get diabetes.”

“Okay.” I replied attentively, writing ‘No chocolate energy bars for the devil’ on the paper.

“And one last thing—”

I looked up and then looked at Dr. Ming. “Yes?”

He smiled cheekily at me. “Do you have cash? I’m going to use it for my cab fare.”

S-s-seriously? Do I look like I have money? And by the way who’s the doctor here? I managed to nod. “Y-yeah, wait a sec.” I rushed towards my room and got some cash.

 

After sending Dr. Ming away, I rushed back upstairs to clean my mess but I was so surprised to see Mr. Kim picking the broken ceramics on the floor.

“Omo, Mr. Kim…” I was lost for words after seeing him clean up. He was bending too low to pick the pieces one by one. I bent down as soon as I realized what I he was doing.

“L-let me do this you should go back to your room and rest because—” I wasn’t able to finish my sentence since Mr. Kim started to talk, his eyes looking down. I bit my lip in embarrassment and decided to just bow my head down and decided to help him.

“I’m supposed to be in my room resting but here I am cleaning the mess you—”

He suddenly stopped talking. I looked at him to know what was wrong. I followed where his stare was glued and realized he was looking at my feet. I slowly moved my head to check what he was looking at.

What the heck is his problem with my feet?!

I looked back at him and his expression changed. “Where is your slippers?!”

What the—why are you shouting at me!?

I looked at my feet again and realize I was barefoot. Oh , right. Aish…  “I-I must’ve dropped them a while ago in your room...w-when you c-c-caried me b-but don’t worry I’ll just get it.” I said. I looked at him again and said: “You should rest so that you’ll recover soon—”

“You think I’m sick because I overworked myself?!” he dropped the pieces to the floor again and his eyes were starting to glow with anger. Who’s fault could it be? You own your body so you take responsible for it. Like, what are you even talking about?! Am I the one in charge of your body?! Aish, jinja, this guy is really impossible.

“Don’t go crying if your feet bleeds out the second time, I’m not going to help out.” He stood up with a clear annoyed expression in his face. “You’re not worth my time, so stop causing trouble.

What the hell is wrong with him?! It’s not like you’re worth my time either Mister!

He walked out right away and silence fell again but I could feel the trails of anger and evil fresh.

Ugghh, he’s really something else…” I murmured to myself angrily. I don’t even know what his problem is. His job is so simple. Go back to his room and rest and here he goes yelling at me for not wearing any slippers.

I really hate him. I hope he trips and his nose breaks!

I really don’t want to get mad but he’s really impossible. Why is he getting mad at me for pointing it out to him that he needs to rest? Aish. Really. Aish, he’s impossible!

 

 

After cleaning up my mess, I dressed up and went out to buy fruits, some herbal medicines and teas and other stuffs that Dr. Ming told me. I didn’t have much money left and I can’t afford to take a cab so I decided to call Jaehwan. He’s been away for too long, it’s time to pay the price.

“What were you going to buy there anyway? That’s too far off.”

 “Some herbal stuffs.” I replied and switched the radio to another station. Jaehwan has this on listening to news over the radio that usually covers country side news.

“Yah, why did you change it? I was listening to that interesting news feature about this village in the outskirts of Hongdae.” Jaehwan said and turned it back. I darted him a stingy look and then looked ahead. “Eww, you’re a weird seventy year old grandpa.” I shook my head in disapproval and acted like I was disgusted. “What did Germany do to you?” I commented.

I saw him smirk through my peripheral vision. I changed it again. “Whatever grandpa.” I smiled childishly and gazed outside the window. I heard him click his tongue in opposition. “Aish, jinja.”

But nevertheless, he didn’t even battle with me and had no choice but to listen to a Sunday playlist. A very old song is playing, if I’m not mistaken it’s even older than me.

“Talk about a hundred year old grandma calling me a seventy year old grandpa. You are such a big old bully.” Jaehwan commented and chuckled to himself. I looked at him for a few seconds and burst out laughing. “You love me anyway.” I elbowed him and tapped my fingers lightly on my lap. “Of course.” Jaehwan replied with a sigh in the end. I stopped tapping my fingers and looked at him. “Yah, don’t sigh, it makes me feel like I’m a hopeless case.”

“Aren’t you?” Jaehwan replied in a murmur (and sounded like he was talking to himself) but I clearly heard it. Hayy, Jaehwan, what are you?

“Me? What are you talking about? Am I really a hopeless case?” I wore a serious expression, suppressing my laughter. Aigoo, Jaehwan is always too innocent. Aigoo.

 The car stopped and I was pushed forwards thankfully I had my seatbelt buckled. I was a bit surprised but realized that the lights turned red. Wew.

“Y-y-you’re not?” Jaehwan asked, turning his head to me with a serious face. I blinked and studied his face. I narrowed my eyes and leaned closer to him. “Do I really sound and look like a hundred year old granny to you huh?”

Jaehwan’s eyes grew wider and he started to stutter. “I..I…”

“Seventy year old grandpa lost his humor already?! Hahahaha.” I laughed and started to tickle him. Jaehwan shifted his body back and forth trying to dodge of my mighty fingers. Oh no, nobody escapes my tickles! Not you, Lee Jaehwan!

“Gotcha grandpa! Hahahahaha…” I kept on laughing while tickling him and he was laughing too.

“Y-yah! Hundred year old grandma! Stop that already! Yahhh!!!!”

“Nu-uh, not gonna stop!”

We were playing around happily until we heard a car beep its horn then we realized the light turned green already. Oooops.

“Ooops.” I blurted and stopped right away while Jaehwan grabbed the steering wheel and then accelerated. I laughed. “That was close.”

He darted me a look. “I hate you hundred year old grandma.”

I mocked his expression. “I thought I was Barbie?” I acted hurt. Jaehwan rolled his eyes. “Geez, look who’s delusional.”

“Yah! You were the one to call me Barbie! Guess who’s delusional first!” I stuck out my tongue to him and folded my arms. He laughed and then turned the volume louder. “Alright, alright. I take all the blame.”

I smiled and turned to him. “Good boy, I mean—grandpa..Hahahahaha…” Jaehwan turned to me with a blank expression. He’s totally so done with me. I stopped laughing and pulled off my puppy face. “I was just joking Jae…you know I love you.”

Jaehwan’s eyes returned to the road and then I changed the station back to the news. “Because I love you, I’m going to give way and let you listen to news that only old people listen to.” I . He shot me a look and I shrugged and grinned playfully. It’s really nice having Jaehwan around at times like this, he’s a good stress reliever because I can bully him whenever and wherever I want to and he never gets mad. I love this duck right here.

The ride was a bit long because we had to travel to the other side of the city but nonetheless it was a good way to relax. I looked out although the ride and listened to the feature news who was featuring this village where runaway couples live. Some of the couples were like those we see on dramas where their families were against their love and some were forbidden because of their statuses and such. Aish, so much drama.

What does Jaehwan get from these kind of news anyways? Weirdo.

 

 

We arrived at the medicinal shop. I know this place since I have been buying their products when I found out about it. My college friends and I usually visit this shop for their unique tea packs and herbal juice. I went directly to the counter and gave a list of items to the grandpa in the counter.

Jaehwan came in a few minutes later because he had to park the car. He stood beside me while I was checking out some new herbal juice in the shelf.

“Asparagus and barley juice? Ew, who drinks that?” he commented, showing me a disgusted face. I rolled my eyes. “I do.”

“Y-you do? Woah, our hundred year old Barbie is living healthily huh?” he teased and poked my arm. I shot him a look. “You should joke around with friends your age.” I replied and nudged him towards the next aisle where two grandpas were checking out some organic oatmeal.

His laughter died and I was the one laughing. Boo-yah! Nobody messes around with Hwang Dohee! Mwahahaha…

After a few minutes, the grandpa on the counter came back with a paper bag filled with the stuffs I bought. I rushed to the counter and received it. “Is this complete?” I asked and checked the items inside.

“Yes, you’re lucky to have bought the last packs of herbal medicines.” The grandpa smiled and bowed while saying my ‘thank you’ and then paid him.

“Come again Ms. Hwang.”

“Don’t worry Mr. Oh, I will.” I smiled and bowed again before I exited the shop. Jaehwan was left inside the store so I had to wait for him outside. After a while he came out. Finally.

“How long do you usually converse with your friends?” I . He made a face at me and waved his paper bag.

“I bought asparagus and barley juice.” He beamed with pride. I rolled my eyes. Aigoo, look who’s talking.

“Aigoo….this seventy year old grandpa is really unbelievable.” I shot and walked towards a small fruit stall. Jaehwan followed behind. “You’re buying some fruits?” I looked back at him and nodded. “U-uh, yeah.” The fruit stand had a lot of fruits. I was beginning to get excited when I realized I only have a few money left. Aish, so sad I can’t buy fruits for myself. The herbal medicine cost me almost 80,000 won and I only have more or less 3000 won left. I have money but I can’t buy them all though.

“What fruit would you like to buy miss?” the fruit vendor approached me. I turned to him and then looked at the fruits he sold. “Uh, fruits rich in vitamin c.” I replied.

“Oh, would you like to buy our fresh tangerines? They were delivered just this morning.” The vendor offered and I fell silent as a memory came across my mind.

“You’re hair smells like tangerine.”

“I love tangerine.”

My heart began racing without for no reason. Aish. That was really a bad memory. Why am I even thinking about it?!

That gorilla is so ugly, I think I’m really getting sick. Why is he even in my thoughts? Yuck! Yuck! Yuck—

“Dohee-ah, would you like tangerines?”

I was pulled back to my sense when Jaehwan patted my shoulder, getting my attention. “H-hmm? Ahh…y-yes please, t-tangerines and o-oranges.”

“How many would you like?” the vendor asked and prepared a plastic bag. I blinked and looked at the cash I had on my hands.

“How many would 3000 won buy?” I asked and the vendor smiled. “I’ll give you 5 pieces each of oranges, tangerines, apples and half the slice of watermelon since these are good sources of vitamin C.”

I now suddenly remembered Mr. Kim was sick. Aigoo, why did he get sick in the first place? Aish, makes my life so much harder!!!!

“O-oh, okay…thank you ahjussi.” I said and watched him load the plastic bag with fruits.  I hope he’ll eat these.

Well, no need to worry, he said he likes tangerine right?

Hell yeah, before he was about to kiss you but then he fell sleep! Hahahaha

Y-yah! W-why are you bringing that thing up? EwwwwWWWww! Stop remembering that Dohee, and besides he wasn’t going to kiss you. Dream on . Dream on.

Ewwww. By the way, why am I even thinking about it? Aish that gorilla is really something!

 

 

Jaehwan and I were back inside the car and he’s driving me back to the sauna because that’s where he thinks I live. Well, technically, I used to live there… aish, it’s really hard keeping this a secret to him but I still don’t feel that it’s a good idea to tell him. And he think that I’m buying all these for Ahjumma. Aish, I should have not lied about that.

I was looking out, watching the tall buildings outside when my phone rang. I checked it and it was the gorilla devil boss. Oh . I looked at Jaehwan and then back to my phone and Jaehwan again and then my phone. Oh no….

It continued ringing.

“Who’s that?” he asked. My eyes got wider and my throat dried. How the do I answer him? Another lie? Not again!

My phone kept on ringing. Aish, this bastard is so stubborn. Just end the call already!

“Aren’t you going to answer that?” he asked, glancing sideways at me and then back ahead. I gulped. “I—uh,” , do I even have a choice?! I slide my fingers and put the phone on my ear. “Y-yes Ahjumma?”

“A-ahjumma?! Ms. Hwang, where on Earth are you?!” he asked and I could sense he’s so angry right now. “I-uh…” I looked at Jaehwan. Oh no, how do I even answer his question? Aish. This devil has bad timing. I bit my lip before answering again. “Ah, yes, Ahjumma. I’m almost there. Yes, I’ll call you later.”

“What? Ms. Hwa—”

I ended the call right away, I didn’t even wait for Mr. Kim’s reply. just happen. Oh no, I’m going to be so dead!

“I-is she okay?” Jaehwan asked and made a turn. “Uhh…yeah, I just have to hurry.” I answered and slid the phone back to my coat pocket. “Should we send her to the nearest hospital?”

“N-no!” I answered defensively. “She’s fine. S-she j-just n-needs s-some…r-rest… right, she just needs some rest.” I reasoned out. Thank goodness. I hope Jaehwan believes me.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” I replied and crossed my fingers. Dear heavens, please keep me safe.

 

Unfortunately, I had to argue with Jaehwan because he insisted to pay Ahjumma a visit but insisted the he didn’t have to. Thank goodness he gave up. Ugh, that lasted for a couple of minutes!

After I went down. I waited for his car to turn to the other block and then rushed to the other side of the street and waved a taxi.

I was so relieved that I got to get a taxi right away but my heart was racing so fast. I just know that my boss is so pissed right now. Aish. Kill me now. Being dead is better than facing the devil later.

 

The moment I arrived, the house was quiet. Mr. Kim’s door was closed. I bet he’s in his room resting. I went directly to the kitchen to wash the fruits and brew some tea. I put the list that Dr. Ming gave me with some of my footnotes and stick it to the door of the fridge so I won’t forget.

After washing the fruits. I sliced the watermelon and picked up two pieces of tangerine from the fruit basket. The tea was finally brewed so I poured some on a cup and placed the cup and the fruits in a tray.

I went up to the gorilla’s room and when I was about to knock, the door opened. I froze seeing Mr. Kim so pale and sweating, he froze too. “Ms. Hwang,” he started to speak in a tone nobody ever likes to hear. Oh no, oh . “Where the hell have you been.” He wasn’t even asking, he was like trying to push down my throat that it was my fault that he was dying.

“I… b-bought fruits…” I told him and chewed my lips.  He gave me a flat stare and then looked at the tray. He opened the door widely to let me in and he sat on his bed while laid the tray on the table beside it and poured tea on his cup.

“How many meetings do I have tomorrow?”

I froze. Oh shoots, I can’t remember. “Uh…” What do I say? Oh no, I’m so dead.

“Dr. Ming advised that you shouldn’t be working tomorrow.” I bit my lip. Please don’t be an idiot.

“I asked how many, not what Dr. Ming advised.” Aish, he’s being an idiot.

“I…forgot?” I confessed. He didn’t even bother to look at me, instead I heard him sigh heavily. “Give me the phone.” He ordered and I directly picked it up and handed it to him.

He dialed a number and then pressed the phone on his ears. “All meetings for the executive boards will be moved to Wednesday.”

He put the phone on the space beside him and looked at me. “Check my emails and sort them out, pay my bills and also give the following files and documents from the annual report last year…”

There goes the devil and his demands.

I bowed my head as I listened. How could I ever review for the exams?

“Yes Sir.” I replied after he was done talking. He grabbed the tea cup from the tray and right after he sipped everything flew out from his mouth.

“What the hell is this?” he asked furiously, with his face distorted into the kind of anger that could last for a lifetime. I was surprised by what he did and can’t even find my voice.

Duh, it’s tea.

“Uh…barley and asparagus tea…” I replied. He put down the cup and grabbed a tangerine. “B-barley and a-asparagus?  Are you trying to kill me?!” he asked sarcastically.

“A-are you allergic Sir?”

He gave me a death glare. “Ms. Hwang, have you even read my profile?”

I blinked twice as much as the normal speed. “Yeah…” I replied, my esteem melting. Aish, I already forgot that. Oh well, people forget things that aren’t important so that’s explains why.

“Get this. I’m going to rest.”

I picked up the whole tray and went to the door when he spoke again. “Wait,”

I turned back to him and I saw him walking towards me. I gulped as I stood there waiting for him. He came nearer and surprisingly he picked the tangerines left on the tray. After picking them, he turned around and went back to his bed, fixing himself under the covers.

He then turned to me, noticing that I haven’t left yet.

“You can work now, Ms. Hwang.”

“O-okay Sir.” Ugh, I hate him.

 

>>>Flashback>>>

 

“What can we do for you Sir?” the saleslady in a pink uniform approached the wet Joonmyeon who was bowing his head as he entered the shop and went towards the slippers section. Joonmyeon can’t clearly see her face since the cap was covering half of his vision. He cleared his throat and lowered his face mask. “S-slippers…” he said, trying to tweak his voice just to make sure he isn’t recognized. Aish, can this lady just leave me alone to choose?

He chose that shop since there weren’t any customers inside. It was his only chance to buy the slippers without getting caught but it seems like he’s not safe there too.

“Are you the one going to use it?”

Joonmyeon breathed heavily. When is she going to stop asking?

He shook his head and started to browse at the slippers displayed in the women’s section. The saleslady followed him and this even made him even more uncomfortable.

“Is it for your girlfriend?”

“No.” one more question and I’m really going to call this shop’s manager.

Thankfully, the saleslady kept quiet but she was still there and it was equally as uncomfortable as her questions.

Joonmyeon scanned the designs of the different slippers, most of them were bedroom slippers since the shop was a pajama shop— not to mention that it’s a designer pajama shop.

On one corner, Joonmyeon spotted a Disney inspired designer slippers and then a memory flashed inside his head.

Might as well match her slippers with her underwear.

“That’s 7000 won Sir.”

Joonmyeon nodded. “I’ll get a pair of one of these.” He said and reached for his wallet on his back pocket.

“What kind of character would you like to buy sir?”

Joonmyeon paused. “What kind of character would she want?” asked himself in a whisper. He checked the slippers one by one and matched it with his secretary’s possible likes.

She wouldn’t want Ariel, if she had a tail, I just know that she’ll be the very first mermaid to be caught by fishing boats because she’s so careless.

Nor Jasmine, Jasmine’s got a good body while she looks like a tree.

I don’t think Snow White suites her… “Miss, do you have a slipper with the seven dwarfs?” he asked the saleslady who was shocked for a while. She’s no Snow White, if she was a Disney character she’d be one of the dwarfs, I’m so sure of it.

“N-no Sir…”

Well that’s sad.

“Would like the new characters Sir? We have Rapunzel, Elsa and Anna and also Olaf…” the saleslady suggested. Joonmyeon turned to her and thought…Who are those people?

He shook his head and then went on scanning the slippers when a pair caught his eyes. “Excuse me miss, who is this character?” he asked, pointing at the slippers.

“Oh, that’s the Timon from the Lion King.” The saleslady replied with an alarmed tone. She wasn’t expecting he’d choose that among all the designs and characters. Timon was a Meer cat and Meer cats’ bodies look like a pencil. Suits her perfectly.

Joonmyeon didn’t have to think twice. “I’d get that one.”

“M-may I know the size Sir?” the lady followed-up. Damn, I don’t know her size…

“Uh…” Joonmyeon stuttered trying to think what his secretary’s foot size is. “Average?”  Yah! Joonmyeon, is that even a size? She’s asking for a number not an adjective.

“Oh,” the saleslady sounded confused but her expression remained controlled. “I’m guessing that’s a seven?”

Joonmyeon can’t answer. “Uhh… average.” He replied and cleared his throat once more. The saleslady didn’t know what to do so she just went over to the counter and the other ladies. Joonmyeon went to the counter and paid for the slipper.

“Thank you Sir, come again.” The cashier said. Joonmyeon just bowed and then went out of the store.

 

 

Author’s note:

Hi, it has been a while and yeah… the updates are so slow because gosh, college is so demanding. There’s a lot of things going on in my life right now so I hope you forgive me for such a slow and (idk) weird update? Hihihih

Thank you for your patience and if you’re ever wondering what memory Joonmyeon remembered  from Japan, you should read Chapter 22 and find out. Hahahaha, well, looks like Joonmyeon really had a hard time choosing Dohee’s slipper. HAHAHA, I hope no fan saw him.

 

 

P.S.: I haven’t edited this so expect that there will be slight errors and maybe misspelled words but nonetheless, thank you for reading.

Have a good day

 

-K

 

And another one, the next chapters are going to be so shocking. Weeeee