26

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

 

I was tapping my foot on the carpeted floor of the hotel corridor, waiting for the door to open. It was already 5:23 on my watch; I have to get going before the plane leaves me. I decided to take the first flight back to Seoul because I have lots of things to work on and I’m getting behind them and also, I think it is better this way.

Finally…

I saw the knob was turned and then after a second I saw Jisuk— brows scrunched, dark eye bags and messy hair. I wonder what time he slept last night. I pressed my lips before speaking, reluctant to speak sensing that he was a bit irritated because his sleep was disturbed. There are two things I learned about Jisuk. If he’s not smiling, he’s frowning. Well, duh—but you get it right?

“G-good morning” I bowed

“Morning” he answered back flatly

“U-uh, I don’t really know where the room of their manager is, so I guess I’ll just have to leave this to you” I said and showed Jisuk the key of the van. He rubbed his eye and then received it.

“Where are you going?” he asked, recognizing the paper bags I was carrying. I looked at the bags and then back at him. “U-uh, I took the first flight back to Seoul since I’m getting behind my work back in the hotel” I reasoned. He nodded his head in response.

“Okay, have a safe trip”

Before he could close the door, I held the knob and received a confused look. “What?”

I bit my lip and then tried to speak. “U-uh, I actually ordered a soup from the hotel restaurant—it’s actually for Mr. Kim” I paused upon seeing Jisuk send me a look.

and the rest” I added nervously.

“and also, u-uh, I bought some meds just in case he—I mean they uh-you know have some headaches or something like that”  I said and then handed him a small paper bag. He raised a brow and then opened it to check the contents.

“M-make sure he eats his breakfast too and also, here’s his vitamin water—just in case…” I bit my lip. Did I say too much?

“Okay—anything else?” he asked.

“Nothing more, t-thank you” I said and smiled softly.

“Don’t worry, all these will be arrive on the save hands of Kim Joonmyeon” he said. I froze.

 “N-no, t-that’s for all of them...” I said back instantly.

“Tsss. Okay, whatever you say. Now, off you go” he said jokingly and then closed the door but I knocked again. He opened it swiftly. “What?”

“And just please—let him eat a proper breakfast” I said and looked hopeful.

“Don’t worry, I’ll tell him” he said and shut the door.

“B-bye” I sighed, facing no one but the door. I walked away and before I could make a turn, I glanced back at the quiet hallway and then proceeded towards the elevator.

 

 

 

“Ma’am”

“Ma’am”

“Excuse me ma’am”

I was jolted awake by the deep voice. “Huh? What?” I asked anxiously. I looked around and realized that the cab already stopped in front of the sauna.  “Oh” I calmed down and then took my wallet and paid the driver.

I went out, bringing my stuff with me. I saw an old couple who just went out from the sauna, smiling and talking to each other. They remind me of my parents before—well now they don’t so— it’s just a waste of time thinking about it. I inhaled deeply and then walked towards the sauna.

“Ahjumma!” I called out happily, seeing her behind the counter as usual. She smiled upon seeing me. “Dohee-ah?” she asked, adjusting her eyes. I ran to her and then gently dropped my things on the floor to hug her.

“I’m back weeeee~” I said, shaking my shoulders playfully. She chuckled in return and then hugged me back.

“So how was Japan?” she asked, as we broke away from our hug. I playfully held my index finger to my chin, as if I was having a hard time thinking about it. Hmmm..

“It was okay” nodding, convinced with my answer, Ahjumma shook her head and then  laughed. “Aigoo, this kid—why do you look so tired? Didn’t you get enough rest?” she asked me, examining my face—more likely her stare got stuck on my eyes.

I blinked and looked away. “A-ah, y-yeah—my boss had some business to attend to in Japan so I had to go there in such a short notice” I replied. She nodded and then went out of the counter, almost stepping on the paper bags.

“Oh, s-sorry, I almost stepped on your things” she said

“Oh no, it’s okay” I replied and then grabbed one of the paper bags. “I brought you flowers” I smiled and got the flowers out of the bag. They still smelled so good and I’m thankful they remained as pretty as they were back in Japan.

“Wow! Aish, Really? They are so beautiful…” Ahjumma smiled widely, looking so adorable. I wonder when was the last time she received flowers?

“I know right, they remind me of you” I winked playfully, Ahjumma laughed even louder. “Since when did you learn those cheesy lines Dohee-ah?” she chuckled and then smelled them.

I laughed at the sight of her, come to think of it, she’s really beautiful and graceful but I wonder why she never married….but I once saw picture of a soldier in her room when I was getting her laundry—could it be her husband…. but she never mentioned. Oh well, it’s none of my business actually

“Oh! I have to put them on a vase! Dohee-ah, you should go to your room and unpack and rest while I prepare food for you” she said excitedly and then ran towards the kitchen. I laughed and it was my time to shake my head. Aigoo, Ahjumma…

I didn’t go to the hotel and decided to my work at the sauna. It has been a really exhausting day and to think it’s only Thursday but at least Mr. Kim is not around for the rest of the week and the next.

 

 

 

“Well, well, well—what have we got here?”

Tsss. It was Mr. Do walking behind me, peaking at the paper bag that I was carrying. “It’s not food” I finally said, not wanting to lengthen his expectations.

He released a sigh and rolled his eyes. “Aish, I thought it—what is it then?” he asked. I opened the door of Mr. Kim’s office and then walked to my table.

“It’s a bonsai tree” I replied and opened the paper bag. His brow shot up. “I didn’t know you had a thing for plants”

“Now you know…” I grabbed the bonsai tree out and then placed it on the right side of my table. “Isn’t beautiful?” I asked, adoring the little, cute tree on my desk.

Mr. Do rolled his eyes and took a sip of his coffee, while examining the tree. “And why would you put it on your desk of all places?”

“These are the only thing that turns me on, so….” I said, touching the leaves gently.

“So you mean?”

“So I mean, when I’m still stuck in hell, might as well bring something to give me a peace of mind and to talk to—you know I’m almost, always alone in here” I explained and then turned my computer on. Mr. Do looked convinced and then nodded his head slowly. “A-alright, I hope this gives you the inspiration to not quit—you’re lucky enough to have gone this far”

I chuckled. I really hope so too….

He patted my back. “I’m going out Dohee-ah, call me if you have food” he said and then went out. I nodded and then settled on my chair and opened my email. I glanced at the clock and then back at my computer—my email inbox was still loading…3,2,1 and work starts now.

This is the real thing and I’m back to hell. I had to deal with all the meetings that Mr. Kim can’t attend to—rescheduling them to fit to his scheudles and he just emailed me his 3 month schedule as EXO’s Suho. So I guess I’m becoming Kim Joonmyeon and Suho’s secretary now…

If I wasn’t doing something on the computer, I was answering the phone, meeting unexpected visitors and telling them to make a scheduled appointment first and whatsoever.

 

 

 

“Dohee-ah? Want to get some post lunch?”

I voice said, interrupting me as I review and finalize Mr. Kim’s speech for the upcoming anniversary, I swear I almost died of a heart attack. Who was that?

I looked at the door and saw that it was Mr. Do, popping out of nowhere. I sighed in relief and pushed myself from my desk, riding on my swivel chair. Weeee

“Tsss, post lunch?” I asked jokingly, eyeing the clock. “Oh , I haven’t noticed the time” I grabbed some of my hair strands and pulled them crazily. What the—

“Anything wrong?” Mr. Do asks, standing by the door. I nodded anxiously and grabbed my phone.  “YES! YES! YES!” I yelled and grabbed my coat. “I forgot I have to get Mr. Kim’s suit for tonight’s dinner—

I ran towards the door passing by Mr. Do who quickly followed me behind. I pressed the elevator button and put on my coat while waiting. “It’s still 2:30, I bet the shop is still open even by 6” he said.

I turned to Mr. Do and shook my head. “I still have to deliver it to him and then come back here to get the weekly performance sheet reports from the heads and then I still haven’t done checking the applicants—oh , what’s happening with my pea brain”

Mr. Do nods, understanding how much work I still had to do. “Well I hope you’ll just be there in time”

Ting.

I ran inside the elevator and so did Mr. Do, blowing air from his cheeks. “It would have been better if we ate post lunch together, geez—I’m hungry”

“Well maybe next time” I replied absentmindedly, looking at the elevator lights, we’re still on 20th floor. I began to grow impatient, fanning myself with my hand and my phone glued on my ear. I’m waiting for the other end to pick up—I was calling the suit shop to as if the suits were already good to go.

Aish, why did I take too long to revise his speech? It was already perfect but he still had to make me review it.

“Hello, Jung So Designs, may I help you?” a voice finally spoke on the other line. I sighed in relief. Thanks goodness.

“Uh—hi, this is Mr. Kim’s secretary… I just wanted to ask if you already have the suit prepared.” I asked, hopeful.

“Mr. Kim—Kim Joonmyeon?” the man asks, trying to make sure he doesn’t confuse Mr. Kim from the other Mr. Kims.

“Yeah, the Kim Joonmyeon”

The man on the other line spoke and told me that the suit was ready; I thanked them and then ended the call. Just as I slid my phone back to my coat pocket

“Mr.Do can I ask some favor can you please give me the copy of the applicants, I’ll just review them on my way and maybe ring him, if I’m done evaluating—he still doesn’t trust the resource office with their job”

“That’s because— it’s a long story actually” Mr. Do replied, shaking his head while his eyes looking up at the elevator lights.

“Long story…what about it?” I looked at him curiously.

Ting. Mr. Do was about to reply when the elevator door opened. I turned my head towards the front and my eyes widened as a familiar figure stands in front, my jaws fell and my body froze for a second. His eyes widened as well, equally surprised as me.

“Dohee?” he asked in astonishment.

“J-J-j-J-Jaehwan” I almost choked, not wanting to believe what I see—is it really him? WTF.

I just looked at him for a while, blinking awkwardly and he did too—surprised to see me in this kind of place.

“Excuse me, do you two know each other or…” Mr. Do spoke sounding so confused as the silence—awkward silence grew between us and then I started to panic. Oh no. Oh ing no.

Before the elevator door closes, I held my hand to stop it then looked back at Mr. Do and shook my head. “No” I simply blurted and held Jaehwan’s arms, taking him away for a safe distance from Mr. Do.

“I know this is not a good time but do you have a car?” I asked anxiously, not knowing what to do. I looked back at Mr. Do whose brows were rising in confusion.

“Y-yes” Jaehwan replied, eyes darted on me. “Please drive it over to the entrance” and then pushed him to walk. His eyes were still on me confused and overwhelmed for a second before he finally rushes out to get his car.

“What was that?” Mr. Do asked suspiciously.

“Nothing—and about the applicants just please do send then through email. I beg you and also if someone finds me—tell them I’m getting the suit for Mr. Kim…Thank you” I uttered desperately and heard a faint “Okay” from him in return. I rushed towards the entrance and waited for Jaehwan’s car to pull over.

 

 

 

“Eyes on the road before you get us crash into the truck in front” I said, my cheeks burning and my head hung low. After I got inside the car, he just can’t take his eyes off me. Freaky Kenmodo Dragon is freaky.

I heard him let out a small laugh. “I still can’t believe it’s really you”. I scrunched my brows after hearing it, still not looking at him. “I can’t believe it’s you either” I replied.

“Y-you look different” he commented, overtaking a taxi cab. “You look different too” I shot back.

“I know—handsomer and taller this time” he arrogantly stated, wigging his brows.

I wanted to puke. Ugh, Jaehwan and his arrogant remarks—they still get me on my nerves.

“Seriously? Just because you’ve had girls around you the moment you stepped foot on Seoul doesn’t mean you look any better Kenmodo dragon” I glared at him; he glanced at me—a small smirk showing.

“Awww, that’s so sweet of you to stalk me”

“Shut up”

“Did you comment on of the articles about me?” he asked, but this time he sounded curious than playful. I shook my arrogant. Arrogant freak.

“Why would I?” I made a face at him and then turned to look outside the window. “Right, why would you” he answered sulkily. “Anyway, where are we going again?” he asked. I turned to him and sighed.

“Jung So designs—it’s a shop in Guseon Boulevard”

“Okay, to Guseon Boulevard it is then” he replied enthusiastically. I just looked in front trying to get myself comfortable in this situation. I didn’t know my past haunts so unexpectedly. Jaehwan was a part of it—a little big part since we’ve had been buddies. I, Joon and Jaehwan would hangout a lot during high school but after graduation, he flew to Germany to study while I stayed in Seoul, along with Joon.

“I missed you Barbie”

I froze. No, not again. Don’t call me that please just ing please.

“Shut up Ken. Just drive.” I replied—turning pink, I rolled my eyes and then heard him laugh at me. Just can’t these cheesy things to himself. ERRRR.

 

We pulled over in front the shop. Jaehwan decided to just wait in the car while I get Mr. Kim’s suit. The designer met me with such a suspicious look—he looked like he was holding some thoughts to himself and he was half smiling. It wasn’t offending but it was quite strange.

“Hi, I’m here to get Mr. Kim’s suit” I bowed

“Aye, Ari, please hand her Mr. Kim’s suit” he called out an employee and she politely obliged going away to get the suit.

“Long time no see” he greeted. I was surprised. What the hell is he talking about? The last time I checked we weren’t close.

“Y-yeah” I replied awkwardly, not knowing what to say. “I see that you’re still his secretary” he commented, checking me. “Y-yeah”

Tsss, you’re lucky to have gone this far you know”

“Excuse me?” I asked genuinely. Who’s lucky? Because sure hell, I know I’m not lucky.

“I said you are lucky. Joonmyeon never had a secretary who lasted for two weeks because he fires them too soon” he explained, shaking his head. “I can’t believe you were the same secretary he brought with him the last time he fitted”

“W-why do you say that?”

“I kind of used to his weird secretary changes—the secretary he brings along with him during fitting not the same secretary he sends to get his suit—it was always been like that but now, I’m awed to see you here for the second time around”

I gulped. “I just needed the job, I guess”

Tsss. Still, consider yourself lucky” he laughed and then the employee arrived, bringing the suit incased with its elegant suit cover. She smiled and handed it to me. I bowed and smile back. “Thank you”

“I hope I’ll see you in the future—it feels good not be confused for once” the designer said. I just smiled and bowed at him and told him that I would too, even though I had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

I opened the door of the backseat and hang the suit and I climbed onto the passenger seat. “What’s the suit for?” Jaehwan asked, eyeing it. “For someone I work for” I replied, trying to be safe with my answers, until now, I’m still a bit doubtful whether to tell Jaehwan about my job or not or—I don’t know.

“So where are you going to next?”

“To this—”

Grrrrrrr.

“Tss. How many times do I tell you to put lunch on your vocabulary?” he asked, starting the engine. I bit my lips as I try to curse words to my stomach. Ugh. ing stomach, if it’s not dancing, it’s singing. WOW. Never failed to embarrasss me. Thank you so much but no thanks.

“I was just busy, I forgot” I replied and buckled my seat belt.

“There’s a coffee shop not far away, let’s pull over—I also feel like eating a cheesecake today”

“But let’s not take long, I still have to have hand the suit over” I told him, glancing at my watch.

“Okay” he replied and stepped on it, without even looking at him, I know Jaehwan was a good driver, he really is. I was lucky to be the very first one he drove around our village when he got his driver’s license. My phone rang and then saw Mr. Do’s email. I started to review the scanned documents he sent because I have to give Mr. Kim a report by the end of the day.

 

 

 

We arrived at the café and I was still on my phone, reading the 11th application. Tss. It will sure take me a day to finish reading all of these, it was getting really tiring.

“So…how’s life” Jaehwan asked, breaking the silence as the waiter placed our orders on the table. Blueberry cheesecake for him and then a fruit smoothie for me (like it was the best choice for lunch).

“Life is….” I said, locking my phone and sliding it back on my coat pocket. “okay” I continued and looked at him. He looked unconvinced but he still nodded.

“I looked everywhere for you the moment I arrived”

“Should I feel ecstatic about that remarked?”

“Yes, actually yes” he grinned.

I took a sip from my smoothie, my eyes focused on the drink. “I figured that out—how’d you know I was staying in the sauna?” I asked.

“Your brother, Dongwook hyung”

“What?!” I asked in shock. M-my b-brother? E-excuse me? So, is he the one who looked for me the first time?

“Tsss. I didn’t know he had the heart to search where her younger sister is living”

“Don’t be like that” Jaehwan scolded me, wiping his mouth after he took a bite of his cheesecake. “He is your brother at the end of the day, no matter what”.   I rolled my eyes and grabbed his fork and took a bite of his cheesecake. I let it melt into my mouth and nodded convincingly. “This is good”

“And it’s mine” he answered sarcastically and then grabbed his fork from my hands. I laughed. Awww, Jaehwan. Then it sank to me how much I missed him. He took another bite of his cheesecake while I just continued to laugh—and I don’t even know why. I guess I just missed our quirky hang outs and how we naturally eat each other’s food like we’re family.

“Stop laughing and just eat” he said and shoved a slice into my mouth. Nom.

“How’s Germany?” I asked. He rolled his eyes and grabbed my smoothie. “It was… okay too” he answered and took a sip.

“Really? Did you meet someone there?”

“No. I didn’t bother”

“Why not?”

Jaehwan looked at me, trying to put his answer on his mouth. “I just didn’t” he replied and handed me back my smoothie. “How about you? Did you meet someone?”

“Hmmm. No, my life is actually messy right now” I answered him honestly. My shoulders sank and then I looked outside the glass window. Jaehwan needs to know, at least.

“Dohee-ah, I know it’s been so hard for you but you know… at least go home”

And we are back to that argument. No. I’m trying to make a stand here. I’m not gonna go back. Not now. It’s just too much for me to handle things. I can’t.. just can’t… not now. Jaehwan sighed when I wasn’t talking anymore just silently looking outside.

“We didn’t have a proper introduction a while ago” he spoke and then put his hand out for me. “Hi there Barbie, long time no see” he playfully said, raising a brow along with a smirk. I looked at him. “Call me Barbie once again and I’m gonna kick your out of this café!” I threatened but still shook his hand. “Nice to see you too Kenmodo dragon”

“Ouch!” he exclaimed when I kicked his leg under the table. I laughed. “Well that’s what you get…”

“I hate you” he hissed rubbing his leg intently. “I know, I hate you too”

And that was how I and Jaehwan hang out—bickering and kicking and arguing and we still have so much fun. After our small chat and after I finished off his cheesecake, he drove me off back to the hotel. He didn’t ask questions any further because I always tried to shut him up. Before I could go out he held my wrist rather tightly.

“What?” I hissed

“Let’s go eat ice cream tonight” he smiled cheekily. I rolled my eyes. How old are you again?

“Fine” I said and pulled my wrist away. “Yes!” he exclaimed in happiness and then drove off. I rushed inside the hotel and saw one of the receptionists smiled at me and then called me.

“Hello Ma’am, there are some mails for Mr. Kim” she said and handed me envelopes. “Oh, when did this arrive?” I asked. “Just a while ago”

“Uh, So Kara?” I asked, eyeing the name tag of the receptionist.

“Yes Ma’am?”

“Do you know someone who could deliver this to Mr. Kim? I still have to do something because it’s due tonight” I said and flashed the suit in front of her. She smiled and then grabbed the phone on her desk.

“Of course ma’am, just give me the address and it will be delivered to him right away”

“Oh, okay, thanks” I bowed and handed her the address and went up to the 30th floor. Before I could enter the office, I passed Mr. Do’s office and brought him food. I feel that I owe him.

“Wow! Is this for me?” he said in excitement. “Yup—eat up Mr. Do” I replied and placed it on an empty desk. “Thanks Dohee-ah, I’m really happy I hired you”

“I wish I could be too, seriously” I answered jokingly and then left to attend to my unfinished business.

 

 

Jaehwan wasn’t kidding when he told me he’ll pick me up by 4 o’clock but I had to make him wait for another hour because I wasn’t done with my work yet. When I went out, I saw him drawing something on his notebook inside the car. I knocked on his window.

Hey. He mouthed and smiled, opening the door for me. “You didn’t call me that you were out already” “Tss, do I really have to?” I nudged at him, annoyed. So he’s playing big brother to me? Ew. Jaehwan ew.

“Ice cream time!!” he screamed and then drove off towards the highway. I shook my head, eyes rolling and then settled on my seat—happy to have a friend like Jaehwan around.

He parked his car near the Samdong park and we had to walk across to the ice cream shop. It was getting really chilly since the sky turned pitch black now. Jaehwan and I were talking, waiting for the walking light to turn green.

“I never ate ice cream since high school” he said, pulling me to his side when a lot of people started to crowd before the pedestrian crossing. Just like the old times.

“Why is that?” I asked, looking up at him and then towards the stop light. He turned to me. “Remember what I told you on the day before graduation?” he asked. I paused for a moment to remember. “Uh—what?” He sighed in frustration.

“Yah! Why do you always forget?!” he said angrily at me and scratched his head. I smiled at him and poked the middle of his meeting brows. “Silly, you really think I could forget?”

“You didn’t?” he lightened up, showing a shock expression. I clicked my tongue.

“Aish, you really don’t believe me?” I said shaking my head.

“Well I—”

“” I cut him off and then grabbed his arm and started to retreat from the edge of the road. I saw four familiar figures waiting on the other side of the road. Three little kids and a woman. Oh . And then saw a pair of eyes darting towards out direction.

“What’s going on?” he asked confusedly as I try to drag him away and back his car. “Nothing—I think it’s really a bad time to have ice cream”

“Why?”

“My stomach is not feeling good”

“What? Then let’s go to a clinic, I know someone—”

“I can take it from here, the sauna is just nearby” I said back pushing him into his car. He looked so confused right now and I really feel guilty about it. He seemed so excited about this ice cream night and I just had to ruin it.

“Then just let me walk you there so I could check if—”

“Jaehwan! Just please listen to. It’s not a good time now. Don’t worry, I’ll make up for this” I pleaded and then closed the door of his car. Go now. I mouthed and then gestured my hands to let him drive off. He looked at me dumbfounded and then started his engine. Are you sure? He mouthed.

YES! I mouthed back and watched him drive off towards the busy highway. I sighed and put my palms on my chest—feeling my racing heart. I inhaled, trying to calm myself and slouched. I’m really sorry Jaehwan.

“Yah! Ugly!”

My senses shoot up to my skin when I heard that remark. Oh .  I bit my lip and slowly turned my head, preparing for my worst nightmare. And there they go—ladies and gentlemen, the little devils of Tartarus.

“Sang Maeri, where are your manners?” I heard their mother scold her secretly but it still did not change Maeri’s unamused expression. “H-hi Dohee-ah, it’s nice to see again” their mom spoke, Ms. Kim Jiyeon.

I bowed to her. “G-good evening Ma’am, it’s nice to see you” I stiffened, not knowing what to say and I just hope Maeri didn’t see me with Jaehwan earlier. Just please have mercy on me….

“We were walking towards the Italian restaurant around the corner because I parked my car on the other street when Maeri, Myungsoo and Maru told me they saw you. They are a bit stubborn so they drag me around until we could catch up” she explained, feeling shy about her children but Maeri and Maru just rolled their eyes.

Aigoo, where have they left their manners? Or should I say their Uncle took it away from them.

“O-oh, r-really?” I answered; acting like nothing happened and that I didn’t see them across the street.

“The truth is we’re lost” Maru blurted, puffing out air from his cheeks while his mother pressed his hands tighter, looking anxious. Well that sir was a cute move but no, I still don’t like you.

“Who was that?” Maeri asked, directing the question to me, her eyes narrowing.

“W-who? W-what?...” I asked nervously, trying to send a telepathic message to Maeri not to mention it.

“I’m hungry already can we go to the restaurant now?”  Myungsoo, the youngest cried. Jiyeon had to carry him to hush him. “We’ll be there in a minute baby” her mother said, rubbing his back.

“Well how can we go if we’re actually lost” Maru complained and got even angrier.  Jiyeon seemed to be confused on what to do next and honestly I would be if I was in her position. Geez, with that beauty I don’t think she deserves these little devils to be her kids. Surprisingly, Maeri still didn’t take her eyes off me. “Was he your boyfriend?” she asked boldly, crossing her arms on her chest. I gulped.

“N-no, h-he wasn’t my boyfriend” I replied nervously. Jiyeon poke Maeri’s shoulder and whispered “Manners” to her ear.

“U-uh, Dohee, can I ask you a question?” Jiyeon turned to me. I let out a small nod. “Y-yeah, of course”

“Do you know where the Italian Restaurant is?” she asked, looking hopeful and then I remembered Mr. Kim was having a dinner with his family. Oh right.

“U-uh yeah” I nodded again; unfortunately, I can’t like because I happen to know where the restaurant is. She bit her lips and then smiled. “Could you take us there? I’m not really good with directions”

“O-of course Ma’am” I said and sighed secretly. “Thanks” Jiyeon exclaimed and smiled brightly and walking towards my side, she carried Myungsoo by her right arm and then held Maru on the other. Maeri reached her hand out to me.

I just looked at her face and then her hand and then her face again. What? I mouthed.

“Hold me, stupid” she remarked and then grabbed my hand, holding it tightly. “You should hold me so I wouldn’t run off” she pointed out and the swung our hands. “E-er, I trust you enough to not run off so…” I said, eyeing our hands. “Just in case I get crazy” she replied, looking ahead. Tss, Maeri might seem a really scary and disrespectful child but she does makes sense, I have to admit that.

We started walking and before we could make a turn, Maru went to me and held my hand instead because Myungsoo was crying again, complaining about how hungry he was. Jiyeon can’t seem to handle him with one arm so she had to break away from Maru’s grip.

 

 

“I really apologize for the inconvenience Dohee-ah” Jiyeon said as we stopped in front of the restaurant. “I-it’s okay Ms. Kim, it wasn’t inconvenient so don’t worry” I replied.

“And also, I want to thank you for your kindness” she bowed.

“You’re welcome” I replied back.

“Uncle Jaejoong!” the kids chorused and ran towards the man approaching our direction. “Hey there, how are my champions?” he asked, bending down to give the children a hug.

“Joongie, thank goodness you came!” I saw  Jiyeon expressed her relief and walked towards him. “I missed you” he hugged him this time and he hugged her back. Awww, that’s so cute of them to cuddle like that.

“Who’s this?” the tall guy asks, pointing at me as they break away from their hug. “Oh, right that’s—”

“Uncle Joonmyeon’s ugly secretary” Maeri and Maru chorused, cutting their mom off from her sentence. I shot both kids a look and tried to compose myself back. Aigooo, why do they keep calling me ugly? Am I really ugly?

“Maeri! Maru!” their mom called out angrily.

“Secretary? Woah—this I a miracle” he said in disbelief.

“I know right” Jiyeon nodded and then smirked.

“I-uh—Good evening Sir, I’m Dohee, Hwang Dohee, Mr. Kim’s secretary” I bowed, my head hanging low from the embarrassment. Aigoo, I’m really going to kill these s someday!

“I’m Kim Jaejoong, Joonmyeon’s brother” he held out his hand and I didn’t have a choice but to take it. We shook hands and then he smiled. “Hwang Dohee…that name rings a bell” he commented and looked at me from head to toe. I bit my lip, standing awkwardly in front of him. “Hmmm… don’t call me Sir, I’m not your boss” he smiled playfully and I swear I wanted to punch him in the face right now. The Kims must really have good genes, from Jaejoon to Jiyeon to Joonmyeon—they all look so good, it’s frustrating. I better leave before I drool over their perfection.

“I—uh—I better get going” I said, putting my hands on my coat pocket, since it was starting to get cold. “Oh, y-yeah right. Bye Dohee-ah, thank you again. Don’t worry I’ll treat you dinner sometime” Jiyeon smiled, surprisingly hugging me—I stiffened even more.

“N-no, it’s okay… really”

“Dohee-ah, take us with you, I don’t like to eat in a restaurant they have the worst flavor of gelatos there.” Maeri said, grabbing my hand. What the hell?

“Maeri-ah, let Dohee go already, we’ve caused her enough trouble for the day! And please use formalities you kid, aigoo” Jiyeon scolds her in a whisper, bending down.

“Oh no, Dohee doesn’t mind… right Dohee-ah?” Maeri looked up at me. What the.., you freaking devil. You are so wrong, I SO mind at all.

I looked at her then at  Jiyeon then back at Maeri then back at Jiyeon.

“I…don’t….mind…at…all” I replied, trying to suppress the anger that is rising on my chest, while my eye twitches in discomfort.

“See? Dohee doesn’t mind” Maeri says in triumph. Jiyeon sighs in frustration. “Okay but please, use formalities young lady” she warned.

“Okay, is ahjumma okay?”

“Song Maeri!” her mother scolds, having had enough of her. Jaejoong holds her sister and bent down in front of Maeri. “Hey there champ, do you remember the day your teacher taught you about respect and manners?” he asked gently, her hair. Maeri nodded.

“Okay good girl, try to use them okay?” he smiled and stood up.

“Okay” Maeri nodded and then started to pull my arm. “Come on Dohee ahjumma, let’s eat ice cream, I want ice cream”

My eyes twitched. Never in my whole life did I imagine people to call me ahjumma…. NEVER!

“Can we go I with her? This restaurant is boring!” Maru complained and then grabbed my other hand making me freeze even more. Ugh. Why are they so freaking clingy?

These kids should be thankful that they could still eat at a fancy restaurant with their family and now they’re being so dramatic and immature!

“Me too!” Myungsoo cried reaching both his hands and hugged my leg. “Gelato sandwich” he blurted.

“Y-yah, kids!” their mom exploded. “Mom, Dad and Grandpa are waiting” she complained, pulling them away from me.

“Nah—we’ll still see them tomorrow since you always leave us with them” Maru replied. Jiyeon was about to pull them once again when Jaejoon held her arm. “Let them be Yeonnie, they wouldn’t enjoy tonight’s dinner since they can’t relate with adult talk—just let them eat ice cream this time, Dohee can handle them can she?”

Jiyeon sighed. “Are you going to be alright Dohee? Can you take care of them?” I blinked awkwardly. You think so? YOU REALLY THINK SO?

“Don’t worry she can, she even handled Joonmyeon” Jaejoong looked at me, half winking, sending a message for me to agree.

Seriously? You are no better than Kim Joonmyeon to be honest. UGHHHHH. I hate you all.

“Y-yeah” I said, smiling crookedly. my life.

Finally, Jiyeon didn’t argue with her kids any longer and let them come with me—more like letting me take them to an ice cream shop like I’m some nanny or something. I held Myungsoo on my arm and then Maru’s hand on the other while I carefully instructed Maeri to hold Maru’s hand. It was a bit strange walking down the street of Samdong with three kids because everyone I meet just can’t take their ing eyes off me. I saw some people whispering towards each other, while others are raising their brows when we passed by.

“We’re here” I said and led them towards the gelato counter. “What flavors do you want?” I asked. Maru shot me a look. “We can’t see the flavors”

Oh right. I rolled my eyes secretly and dropped Myungsoo for a while, letting him hug my leg. I carried Maru, who was by the way freaking heavy but I managed. Thank goodness…

“Hmmmm” he rubbed his chin, examining closely the gelato flavor with narrow eyes. Hurry up! Will you, you are so heavy! Goodness gracious!

“I’ll pick the chocolate brownies one” he said and I hurriedly brought him down. “My turn” Maeri demanded. I shot her a look and then carried her anyways. Her eyes glowed the moment she saw an overwhelming amount of gelatos in front of her. “They are so many, I can’t seem to choose” she said

“I know right” I agree… for the very first time, I freaking agreed with her. WOW.

“Hmm, I’ll just choose honeydew”

“Oh no, wait, the bubblegum one”

“I mean—hmm, I’ll stick with the honeydew” she concluded finally and I brought her down. I carried Myungsoo again and let him choose.

“I want vanillam” he uttered, pointing at the vanilla gelato sandwich. I smiled a little. “Silly, it’s Vanilla not vanillam”

“No, I want vanillam” he whined and dug his head on my shoulder. “Okay, okay” I said finally and then went to the corner to order.

“One chocolate brownie, one honeydew, then one double dutch gelato in cones please and one vanilla gelato sandwich” I said to the ice cream guy.

“It’s vanillam” Myungsoo corrected, resting his chin on my shoulder. Yeah whatever.

We sat on a cute round table and waited for our orders. This was so awkward for me since I never went out for ice cream with kids. But in general, I never hang out with kids really. I quite hate them actually but instead of being so totally awkward, I found myself laughing while Myungsoo was sitting on his chair and making cute expressions while watching the television across the shop.

It didn’t take so long for the ice cream to be delivered. It has been a long time since I ate ice cream. Now, this reminds me of Jaehwan, he was supposed to eat this with me instead of these little devils.

“What are you thinking of Dohee-ah?”

I blinked and looked at him. “Hmmm? N-nothing” I replied, my ice cream once more.

“If I’m not mistaken she’s thinking of the guy she was with a while ago” Maeri commented, her eyes darted on her ice cream.

“Y-yah…” I said defensively, she tries to sound like she was implying something—like she was implying he was my boyfri—

“You mean her boyfriend?” Maru asks cutting me off from my thoughts.

“He’s not my boyfriend” I stated firmly.

“Well then why did you look so sweet a while ago?”

Sweet? M-me and Jaehwan l-looks sweet? Are you kidding me? Seriously?

I don’t know if I wanted to puke at the moment or laugh out loud—that’s simply ridiculous. “Tsss. Seriously, he’s not my boyfriend” I shook my head and then helped Myungsoo with her now dripping vanillam ice cream. Maru and Maeri started to interrogate me with silly questions that made me laugh or vomit or speechless but I guess it was kind of fun eating ice cream with them. Myungsoo was the last one to finish his ice cream—I mean he didn’t even finish it at all because a lot of it melted already.

 

We walked back at the restaurant and still Maeri and Myungsoo can’t stop asking questions.

“Seriously, he was one of my best buddies in high school” I explained, looking down at them from time to time. They have been asking me about my Jaehwan so I told them about him and I also told him about our mischiefs way back in high school.

 “Buddies? Who were the others?” Maru asked curiously, raising a brow.

“The other one was Joon” I replied, holding his hand tightly.

“And what was his nickname?” It was Maeri’s turn to ask. I looked at her and back to the front. “His nickname is really interesting, since Joon likes to go to ponds, I called him duck and then he also kinds of look like an alligator, so I called him Duck Alligates”

I laughed while remembering the days that I called him by that name and, he never seemed to notice.

“Is he also an architect like Kenmodo Dragon?”

“No, he’s a chef and owns a restaurant” I replied. “He really cooks well; if you have time you should really eat at his restaurant”

We were almost there and I was so relieved because Myungsoo is getting heavier and he has already fallen asleep on my shoulders. I adjusted him once more and then made a turn at the corner and then saw Jiyeon and Jaejoong talking to a lady and two men, the other man looked older with a few hints of white hair on his head. I walked slowly towards them, getting nervous. Is this their family? The mighty rich Kims?

Duh Dohee-ah. Duh.

“Oh, there they are!” Maeri said excitedly pointing at them. I walked fast as I tried to keep up with their pace.

But where is Mr. Kim?

Ew. Like why would I be thinking of him?

T-thinking of him? I’m not thinking of him. I was just asking…

Nah, you were asking because you thought of him!

Whatever, he’s not here so be happy!

 “Dohee-ah, there you are!” It was Jiyeon. She ran towards us and then held out her hands to get the sleeping Myungsoo from me. “T-they had a good time” I said, putting my hands back to my coat pocket.

“Dad, Mom, Grandpa, this is Joonmyeon’s secretary… Dohee, Hwang Dohee” Jiyeon suddenly introduces me to the three people which I think is their parents and grandfather. I froze for a while they scanned my face.

“H-hi, Good evening. I’m Hwang Dohee, Mr. Kim’s secretary” I bowed and bit my lips secretly.

“It’s a miracle right?” Jaejoon commented, putting a hand on their grandfather’s shoulder. What miracles are you talking about?!

“Indeed” their father replied, smiling.

“I’m Kim Junsu and this is my wife, Kim Minyoung and this is my father, Kim Goseon”

I bowed at them and they did the same.

“Where’s Joonmyeon isn’t he out yet?” Mr. Kim Goseon asked Jaejoong, sounding a bit impatient. “He just went to the restroom in fact he’s going to be here in a min—he’s there actually” Jaejoong pointed at the door. They all turned their heads except me.

Oh no… still not ready for this .

Deep inside, I’m still not really prepared to see him—well after what happened in Japan—I still don’t have a face to show him—more like he should be the one feeling ashamed right now but still. I inhaled deeply and bit my lip nervously.

“Uncle Joonmyeon!” Maeri and Maru excitedly ran to him and hugged him. “Hi there kids, why didn’t you join us for dinner?” he asked, patting their heads.

“We ate ice cream with Dohee-ah” Maru replied.

“Yah! I said use formalities!” their mother scolded again but the two just ignored her.

I felt Mr. Kim’s eyes on me. I didn’t have the choice but to ing face him and greet him. Erggh.

But why am I even uncomfortable? It’s just greeting your boss—it’s no big deal.

Yes. It. is.

How? HOW IS IT A BIG DEAL?

Just please turn around now before you make a fool of yourself please.

“O-oh, Mr. Kim, G-good evening” I greeted nervously. This is the first time I saw him ever since I was back in Seoul.

His brows rose. “G-good evening” he replied, sounding confused rather than warm.

“I-uh—I’m going now, I think it’s getting late” I said, pointing towards the direction of the sauna. “I’m sorry, but may I know where you are living?” Mr. Kim Goseon suddenly asked me. “I-uh—live in a..a sauna just... a few blocks away” I gulped.

“S-sauna?” he asked again, trying to clarify my answers.

“Uh—yeah….” I replied awkwardly.

“Well, then, you guys should go ahead—I’ll just walk Dohee to the sauna since it’s getting late” he stated confidently.

WHAT did you s-say?

My eyes twitched and my mouth hung open. How should I answer this? HoWWw do I say NO THANKS?

 “What?” they all chorused and looked at him. He just smiled dryly and rubbed the back of his neck. “Well you know it’s getting late—don’t worry, I’ll tag along Joonmyeon with me” he said and pulled Mr. Kim to his side.

“I want to walk Dohee-ah too!” Maeri raised her hand. Jiyeon rolled her eyes and glared at her daughter. “Manners Maeri, Manners”

“O-oh, I mean Dohee ahjumma…” she mocked.

“N-no…” I started, they all looked at me.

I continued. “I-I'm mean..I-I’m fine really… it’s just a few blocks away… I won’t get into an accident… if that’s what you are worrying about” I bit my lip praying so hard for them to just let me walk home alone.

“No, it’s okay” Mr. Kim Goseon said to and then looked at the rest. “You can go ahead if you want”

Mr. and Mrs. Kim looked reluctant at first but then they decided to go ahead, getting inside their car. While Jaejoong carried Myungsoo this time and Jiyeon held Maru.

“See you around Dohee-ah” Jiyeon said, waving. I nervously waved and smiled back at them. “B-bye Jiyeon-ssi, Jaejoong-ssi” I bowed.

“Just Jaejoong…remember?” he reminded and winked. I almost puked. Seriously no.

I froze when I felt Mr. Kim’s gaze darted towards me. I clenched my jaw and my eyes on the ground.

“So shall we?” Mr. Kim Goseon asked enthusiastically. I looked at him, unsure of how to react and answer. “U-uh, y-yeah” I replied and started to walk. Maeri ran towards her great grandfather and held his hand. I was walking beside him an arm and a half away.

“So how did you end up eating ice cream with the kids?” Mr. Kim Goseon asked, looking so interested. I turned to him and then opened my mouth to speak but Maeri just had to the talking.

“We actually met her with her boyfriend across the street” Maeri added. Mr. Kim shot me a look, his brow rising higher.

What the hell Maeri! He’s not my boyfriend.

I froze all of a sudden, shaking my head awkwardly like a robot. “I-it’s n-not l-like t-that… h-he’s j-just my f-friend” I answered defensively. His stare was getting scarier. UGH! Why did Maeri say that!

“Oh, so that explains why Mr. Dang was the one who delivered my suit to me this afternoon?” Mr. Kim asked tauntingly rather than curious. I could just shove both my middle fingers in his face right, I would. Really I would.

“I didn’t know you were expecting me to deliver it to you personally, Sir” I shot back, trying to sound indifferent. 

“I—uh—I was…” he replied shortly.

 


Author's note:

Woah... so Joonmyeon was expecting huh? Hmmm...
I wonder what happens on the next chapter....hihihi

I'm really sorry if this chapter is a bit boring or too long..
Or do you like long Chapters?...anyways, thank you for
reading and waiting patiently for the updates :-)

Have a good day, you

P.S. Did you see their recent airport photos of EXO? Ugh, they look so unbelievably hot. I'm so frustrated right now.