32

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

 

Please don’t ask me what time I slept because I also don’t have any idea.

And I just hate the feeling that my eyes feels so uneasy and puffy, I always tried to prevent myself from crying whenever I’m in my bed but I just can’t help it. I hate it—I hate what thinking about what hurts, even if Sadako’s face kept haunting me, even I have been so embarrassed about Mr. Kim controlling my fingers to get something from my teeth—my mind ended thinking of one thing and I really don’t want to talk about it.

Anyways, for the first time in my life my alarm clock didn’t wake me. It was Ahjumma who shook me awake. At first, I ignored her, rolling to the other side of the bed.

“D-Dohee-ah….”

Hmmmmm. I didn’t even bother.

“Dohee-ah…w-wake up now…”

I was too tired to even move my eyes. Aigoo, what time is it? It’s Saturday today, I don’t have work….

“D-dohee-ah, you should really wake up now….”

“I don’t have work today Ahjumma.” I replied, my voice still weak and tired. She stopped rubbing my arm and then I felt the bed sink. She sat beside me and pushed away some hair falling on my face.

“I—I know…b-but…someone’s here to pick you up.” I rolled uncomfortable to her side, scrunching my face and scratching my head.

Who the hell would pick me up in this time of da—oh !

“Holy Shi—” my eyes flung wide open as I hissed but didn’t continue when I realized Ahjumma was surprised. I sat up directly, pushing the covers off me and then combed my hair with my fingers as fast as I could as I panicked while searching for my slippers.

Oh no! Oh no!

“H-how long has he been waiting?” I asked and as I ran all over the room, grabbing my things from here and there.

“M-more than half an hour ago already.” she replied and helped me with my suitcase. I rushed to my cabinet and grabbed my clothes. I stuffed them inside, not even minding if they were arranged or not. I just know I’m freaking dead!

“I-I’ll take care of these Dohee-ah, you should probably see him in the living room.” Ahjumma suggested and arranged my clothes in the suitcase.

“H-he’s in the living room?!” Oh mother of cows!

I grabbed my hair, pulling the strands from my head as far as I could. I freaking didn’t know what to do. I put my palm on my forehead, walking in circles.

What should I say?

Oh my goodness! I’m freaking dead now!

Oh no! Oh no!

!

I started to fan myself with my other hand and bit my lip so hard. “I-is he r-really in the living room?” I asked Ahjumma again, feeling uneasy and anxious.

Ahjumma nodded. “Y-yes, I invited him in.”

I gulped and prepared for my death. Aish! Why didn’t I even remember!?

I brought my palms just before my mouth, checking my breath. It’s not that bad. Thank goodness!

I combed my hair again and tried to straighten the creases on my pajamas. I’m so dead, so, so, so, so, so dead!

I inhaled deeply before turning the doorknob. I popped my head, checking if he was there, but no one was…Yah! I thought he was in the living room?

I stepped out completely from my room and slowly closed the door behind me. I tiptoed towards the farther end of the living room, near the hallway that connects it from the main sauna.

I was making sure I didn’t make any noise. I plan to just take a peek and after that go the bathroom and take a bath immediately. I tried to scan the place but no one was still here. Is Ahjumma sure about what she was talking about?

“I clearly told you to wake up early.”

I jumped on my spot as I heard a voice echo from behind. My eyes opened widely and I brought my palms on my mouth. I slowly turned around and saw Mr. Kim leaning on the frame of the door connecting the living room and the dining. He was wearing sunglasses and all I could see was his brows knitting together in an angry expression. Aish, what do I expect? He was always angry.

He was crossing his arms on his chest and he freaking looked hot in that position—wait—what the did I say? Hot? Yah! What the Dohee?! What is your freaking problem?!

Why are you calling him hot?

Are you kidding me?!

“I—I—wasn’t able t-to s-sleep e-early…” I stuttered, my eyes still glued on him. He lowered his sunglasses and eyed me from head to toe.

“Is that my fault?” To be honest? To be quite freaking honest? YEAH!

“N-no S-sir…” I shook my head and bit my lip.

“I’m giving you 30 minutes.” he announced firmly and stood up straight and walked pass me.
Holy mother—ugh! I’m ing dead!

I rushed towards the bathroom and took a shower as fast as I can. I didn’t even have my chance for my morning shower concert. Ugh.

 

Thankfully, I was done showering after twenty minutes, I still had ten minutes left and I rushed towards my room to change. Ahjumma was kind enough to arrange my stuff inside the suitcase and also pack the other things.

All my clothes were already inside the suitcase and the only ones left were my tracksuits. Aish, now I’m having a hard time to choose which color should I pick?

“What color would be good to wear today Ahjumma?” I asked her, laying the three tracksuits on my bed. Ahjumma thought carefully and then finally picked the red one.

“Red?”

“Uh-huh,”

“Okay, thanks Ahjumma! You’re really the best!” I hugged her lightly and then grabbed the red tracksuit to change.

 

 

 

I felt guilty to leave Ahjumma this way. If only I had a choice, I should’ve said no about being the house help but I it was my fault why Mr. Kim was mad about that. Ergh. I still haven’t treated Ahjumma dinner yet and now I am leaving her already? Aish, hiw ungrateful could I be?

I haven’t even returned the goodness she showed me and here I am packing my things and to think she’s even the one who literally packed them for me.

“I really don’t know how to thank you enough Ahjumma, I’m really sorry if I can’t help out in the sauna anymore…” I spoke and hugged her tightly. She hugged me back.

“That’s okay Dohee, thank you for keeping my company all this time.”

We pulled away from each other and she caressed my cheek. “I hope you’ll be okay.”

“Don’t worry, I’m always okay, I hope you’ll be okay Ahjumma—just call me whenever you need help okay? And also, I’ll try to help out here during weekend afternoons!” I assured her squeezing her hands.

She smiled at me and surprisingly kissed my forehead. I was surprised but slowly closed my eyes and savored it.

“Don’t worry Ahjumma, I’ll be back—really!” I promised her and then hugged her for the last.

Aigoo, you kid—don’t worry about me—now go before your boss gets mad!” she joked and ruffled my hair. I smiled and nodded my head.

“Bye Ahjumma! Thank you for everything! Thank you so much! Don’t worry, I’ll still come back, I still owe you dinner!” I said, while walking away from her dragging my suitcase with me.

She waved back and laughed to herself and then went inside already. I smiled at her for one last time and turned my head to the other direction.

 

 

Mr. Kim went out, but with a cap this time and then opened the trunk of his car. I was about to carry my suitcase but he snatched it away from my grip.

“T-thank you S-sir.” I said, in a low voice and watch him put it on the trunk. It was surprising he could carry it on one lift, like he’s so skinny you know. Too skinny for my liking…

He didn’t respond, he just closed the drunk and then faced me. “You drive Miss Hwang.”

I opened my mouth in shock and my eyes widened. W-w-What d-did you say?

C-come again?

“B-but S-sir…I-I…” I spoke nervously, my fingers fidgeting. He didn’t even listen, just handed me the keys and the walked to the passenger seat. He opened the door and got inside.

Tch. Does this bastard want to die?! I clearly remember the last time I drove his car, I almost got them into an accident and we could have died! This is ridiculous. What the hell did he eat this morning? Or did he even eat?!

The last time I checked, I’m still the secretary not the driver—but— he’s not the driver too. Ugh, I freaking hate this, so, so, so, so much!

I breathed in and slowly walked and opened the door. I got in carefully, my heart beating so fast. I closed the door and bit my lip as I buckled my seatbelt. I turned to Mr. Kim who reclined his seat in 45 degree angle and he looked like he was sleeping.

Are you ing sure about your decision Mister? Trust me, you’re voluntarily putting yourself into your coffin.

I flexed my fingers and then adjusted myself on my seat. Don’t you ing dare blame me if we’re going to crash on a tree!

I could’ve just ride a taxi going there. Aigoo. I felt my hands sweating and nervously glanced at him again. Is he sure about his life choices? Why is he letting me drive when he knows how bad I am?!

 “The chance of us dying in the road is lesser when you’re the one driving—I’m taking a nap.”

I raised a brow. I could almost choke with his words. What the—

I saw him yawn and he shifted his head towards the window, his eyes were closed. Aish, he could have wished for a gentler death.

I started the engine and relaxed my shoulders a bit. I adjusted my feet on the clutches and my hands on the steering wheel.

Okay, you know how to drive before! This is not that hard! You can do it!

Aish—

“Drive slowly.” he reminded firmly and then crossed his arms on his chest. I shot him a look and cursed under my breath before starting the engine.

It’s not that I don’t know how to drive, it’s just that I’m not a good driver. That’s it. I never was, flunked my driving test two times and thankfully on the third the instructor pitied me and gave me a passing mark.

 

We were in the middle of the highway and I guess I’m the only one running at 80 kilometers per hour. Ugh, please kill me now.

From time to time, I would try to step on it and drive a bit faster but I don’t know, I’m just plain dumb and is too much of a gentlewoman that I let all the cars go first before me. Aish.

 

Yah motorcycle mister! Out of the freaking way!

 

Aigoo, why can’t this truck be so long! Aish!

 

W-what?! Red light again!? Aigoo, don’t they know people are in a hurry?

 

*face palms as I wait for another 3 minutes* When will these people finish crossing the highway?

 

Get out of the freaking way y’all, a mighty garden is waiting for me!

 

 

The trip to his house was like a rollercoaster ride in a turtle’s pace. It made me so dizzy and tired— I give up on my driving skills.

I finally parked on the parking area which took me about a few minutes. I know right, how ing lame of me but you can’t blame me. I turned the engine off and unbuckled my seat furiously. Aigoo!

I was sweating like a pig and breathing heavily—it wasn’t easy to go to a battle where ou know there is 50% chance that you would die, 25% chance that you would go to jail and 25% chance that you will not go to jail—yet.

I opened my door when I heard a soft groan beside me. Oh —right. I almost forgot about my boss. He was sleeping so soundly, I haven’t notice him beside me all this time.

So I wasn’t the only one experiencing the rollercoaster ride huh? But he was asleep all this time, he must’ve not felt those abrupt stopping and turning.

I watched him for a while, observing how things were when a devil is asleep. Seems, pretty fine to me!

Should I wake him up? Or—should I just wait for him to wake up?

Nah, I should just wake him up, it would be strange since I don’t have his passcode. “S-sir…w-we’re already here,” I said in a gentle manner, careful not to bait his inner monster.

He wasn’t responding. Aish, I should just leave him here alone.

I cleared my mouth and spoke a bit louder. “S-sir, we’re already here.”

He still wasn’t responding. Yah! Mister Joorilla—I don’t have all the time in the world! A garden is waiting for my magical touch!

Should I shake him or something? Argh. I leaned down and decided to shake his shoulder a little. “S-sir, we’re already here—”

“Hyejin, ten more minutes please…” Mr. Kim murmured in a tired voice. What the— Who the ing hell is Hyejin?!

I clearly remembered I was an alpaca before.

Before I could even react properly he grabbed my hand and placed my palms it on his cheek absentmindedly. His cheek was soft and smooth and warm—and— And what are you doing with my hands?!

 

 

I was taken aback with the sudden involuntary gesture and I swiftly pulled my hand away and straighten up causing my head to hit the roof of the car.

Chug.

“Ouch…” I hissed. I closed my eyes trying to ease the pain, I rubbed my head gently with my hand. Aish, ah, why didn’t I see that coming?!

Mr. Kim moved and groaned, adjusting his head and position. One eye was slightly opening. He was scratching his neck and adjusting his positon

“Why are you so reckless Miss Hwang?” he commented sternly but in a groggy voice. Why did you call someone else’s name? You devil!

I could see his eyes slowly open, still adjusting to the light.

“W-were a-already here S-sir.” I said, looking away. I bit my lip as I climbed out the car and walked towards the trunk.

I grabbed my suitcase, which is actually heavier than I expected it to be and then dragged it all the way to the doorstep.

Mr. Kim entered his passcode and then opened the door. He still looked tired. Geez, what time did he sleep last night?

 

He changed into his slippers and then grabbed my suitcase. I took my shoes off and walked barefoot because my slippers were inside my suitcase. Mr. Kim’s eyes landed at my barefoot for a few seconds, his eyebrows rising. I bit my lip and curled my toes feeling embarrassed. What the are you looking at?!

He looked away and dragged my suitcase with him.

“You’re going to take the third room at the left.” he spoke, I was behind, following him. He led the way to my room and then opened it.

“There’s a bathroom on the left and the controllers for the windows and air condition are inside the drawers beside your bed. I guess the room is all set now…”

I nodded my head as he explained these things and he placed my suitcase just beside my bed. “Just tell me if some of the lights aren’t working, it has been a long time since someone occupied this room.”

I nodded again then bowed. He walked towards the door and turned his head.

“I’ll be downstairs at my office.”

 “O-okay Sir.” I answered and bowed.

He went out of the room and I was left alone. I jumped to the bed. wOah! It’s so soft and comfortable! It makes me want to lie in this bed forever.

I smiled as I dug my face on the pillow. Hmmm, it smells so good—just like flowers.

I’m enjoying the softness and the smell of this bed, it makes me remember my old bed back at the Hwang’s residence. It’s one of my favorite places on Earth next to my greenhouse and my treehouse.

I got up and dragged my suitcase in the middle of the room and started to unpack my things.

 

 

 

I opened my planner and saw the list of things that is added on my routine. I haven’t realized how full my days are becoming, almost every hour is filled with a task to do. There were lots of notes and clipped papers on the pages and I check the next three months and it’s even busier. I sighed.

Life…what the hell…

I turned to another page and then saw my list of things to buy and I remembered about the list I made for my garden. I smiled cheekily trying to picture the garden once I’m done working on it. This is going to be exciting!

I unpacked my things and one by one place my clothes on the closet. Thinking about it, I really do have a few clothes left. I was about to place my shampoo bottle on the bathroom when I heard my phone ring. I ran to my bed and answered it.

“Hello?”

“Dohee-ah!”

It was Jiyeon and sounds really ecstatic today.

“I heard you’re moving in now?”

“G-good morning Jiyeon-ssi” I greeted and bowed even when it wasn’t necessary. “Y-yeah, I-I a-actually m-moved in just now…” I replied and gripped my phone tighter.

“Really?! Oh, wow! I really want to be there but I can’t. I’m really busy with my runway project and I can’t really be there.” she sounded apologetic.

“O-oh no, it’s okay, I-I can handle myself but thank you for calling…” I smiled.

“Aww, no problem— I hope you are settled now. Just tell me if you need anything okay? Or if you have questions and concern and please don’t hesitate to tell me if Joonmyeon becomes a pain in the . I’ll be glad to kick him for you.” she offered, chuckling lightly on the other line.

I laughed to myself. I’m looking forward to that day when his will be whipped mercilessly by his sister!

 “O-okay, Jiyeon-ssi, don’t worry I will.”

“It’s a Saturday today, make sure he gets to eat at least two complete meals, that kid abuses his body too much and also about his lau—”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure he eats a good meal and don’t stress yourself Jiyeon-ssi, I can handle it. I made a list of the things you told me before. I’m getting his laundry this afternoon and then buy some things for the garden.” I assured her and eyed my planner.

“Thanks Dohee-ah! You’re really the best!” I heard Jiyeon sigh in relief. I bet she’s really busy. I heard she’s opening shops in Europe and Southeast Asia. “And good luck with the garden!”

“Thank you and please, don’t worry about Mr. Kim too much—”

“I actually don’t worry about him—I mean, I know I worry about him but I also worry about you—”

I laughed.

It’s okay, I’ll be fine and thanks for letting me do his garden.” I replied.

 I can hear her smile and then she spoke once more. “No problem, I’m happy that you’re more than willing Dohee-ah….and oh, right, I really have to go. I’ll just see you when I see you I guess” she laughed at the end.

I nodded my head approvingly. “Oh sure, you should probably get back to work Jiyeon-ssi. Good luck.” I replied and then next thing I heard was toot.

 

 

I picked up my planner and opened to the page where I wrote the notes I took from Jiyeon. I clearly remembered the things she told me that day when we were at the grocery store because it was a day I told myself I wish I had her as my sister.

She told me that weekends for Mr. Kim must be all about health and relaxation. Since Mr. Kim was a coughs—a devil—I mean, a stubborn workaholic piece of , I had to make sure he eats healthy meals atleast two times a day. I also had to make sure the house was clean and that he will not forget to take his vitamins and sleep.

Laundry and dry cleaning duties were for Saturdays and grocery shopping was for Sundays.

 

 

I went down to the kitchen to check if there was still instant ramen left. I’m not really a good cook. I mean, I know how to cook but—the truth is—I know how to cook instant noodles, eggs and everything that comes along with instructions and readymade food recipes.

Trust me, pancakes and microwave pizza are my favorite!

You can’t blame me—college was so hectic, I always went for food that were fast and sadly, unhealthy but who cares? I’m still alive and kicking, that’s what matters!

Hmmm. What shall I cook for him? I think it might be good if I cook ramen and then just put vegetables on it? I think that would be easier and it sounds like it’s healthy. Sounds like?

It’s really healthy!

I looked around to see if Mr. Kim was heard it but the phone’s ringing sound was still echoing inside the house. I walked towards the living room and saw that the phone was unattended.

Ring.

It kept on ringing and I had no choice but to answer it. I have a gut feeling that this is urgent.

“H-hello?”

“Who’s this?” a sharp, curious female voice spoke on the other end.

“Uh… I am Mr. Kim’s secretary, may I know who’s calling please?” I held the phone tightly and started to walk towards Mr. Kim’s office to check if he was there.

“Is Joonmyeon home?”

“Y-yes Ma’am…”

I stood by the door and saw Mr. Kim sleeping soundly on his computer’s keyboard.  I gulped and thought if I should wake him or not. He looks desperate for sleep.

“Could you hand the phone to him please…?”

“H-he…is…” I sighed and walked over to Mr. Kim who was soundly sleeping. I really do hate to wake you up but—

“I-I’ll just c-call him…” I lied and then I slowly walked towards Mr. Kim. I gently shook his shoulders and it’s a pity to wake such an angel in his sleep. Wait what?! What do I mean by angel!?

“S-sir, someone’s on the phone looking for you.” I said lowly. His brows scrunched and he let out a tired moan.

“Who is it?”

“I-I don’t know…”

Mr. Kim sat up and rubbed his eyes. I handed him the phone and then he put on his hear.

“Hello? Who’s this?”

I bowed and I was about to leave when I heard him speak again.

“H-hyejin?” He sounded surprise but there was vulnerability in his voice and also, there was delight if I’m not mistaken.

 

“Hey babe, I’m sorry I’m late…”

I breathed in deeply, closing my eyes, trying to calm myself.

“Don’t babe me you ugly reptile!” I hissed and opened my eyes. I saw Jaehwan smile apologetically in front of me. I have been sitting here at the park bench for almost fifteen minutes and he comes here calling me babe.

I rolled my eyes and looked away, crossing my arms on my chest.

“Okay, I’ll rephrase it. Hey Barbie, I’m sorry—”

“Do you think I’m mad because you called me babe?!” Well, yeah, I’m mad because of that and because you made me wait and… and I’m starving! The ramen I cooked a while ago was too salty for my liking.

“Is it because I didn’t bring food?!”

Am I that obvious?!

“It’s because of this!” I shoved the shoebox on his chest and he automatically caught them in his arms. “Why? These are Jimmy Choos!” he reasoned, his eyes looking surprised.

“Jimmy what?! I don’t care what those are. They gave me a hard time last night!” I folded my arms again and moved aside so that he could sit beside me.

“Oh did they? Did my Barbie have a hard time walking with these shoes?” he cooed and I hit his chest with my elbow.

“Please stop that. I’m not your Barbie and it’s not funny.”

Geez. Why are you so angry?”

“I hate you!” I shot, still looking at the other direction. He sat beside me and tugged his arm around mine.

Hmm. Let’s see if you sill hate me after this news…”

I faced him instantly. “N-new? What news!?”

He smiled cheekily. “Let’s eat first, I know you’re hungry.”

“Was I that obvious?”

 “Hahaha, No you weren’t Dohee. Not so obvious at all.” He answered sarcastically.

“But seriously, I had a hard time walking with those shoes! You have to treat me a good meal to make up for it!”

“Why are you giving this back to me?”

“I don’t see a reason why not.”

“But Barbie, I gave this to you. This is yours… don’t worry, I’m not going to make you pay. Just keep it.”

He handed me back the box and shoved the handle of the paper bag on my hand.

“Where have you been anyways? Why are you all alone in here?”

“I had to drop the devil’s—I mean, m-my clothes in the laundry shop…” I know I was sort of lying—but I think it was better for Jeahwan not to know I’m living with my boss because I’m a house help or something. I know he wouldn’t take it easily. I just know…

“Oh, really? You should’ve just told me. I could’ve picked you up at the sauna—”

“No! U-uh…I mean…I can do it Jaehwan, it’s no big deal…It’s just laundry….” I answered him and stood up. “Let’s just have lunch. I’m really starving.”

I pulled Jaehwan up who looked a bit startled with my sudden response and we walked arm in arm towards his car.

 

 

“So what news are you going to tell me?” I asked Jaehwan excitedly, resting my chin on my clasped hands. He smiled cheekily and imitated my expression.

“Patience my dear,” he sighed.

“Patience your .” I rolled my eyes. He laughed and then sat up straight. I bit my straw and took a sip when I realized my glass was already empty of iced tea. I frowned and lifted my glass, bringing the brim to my mouth and then let some ice cube fall into my mouth. Hmmm. If there’s one thing people should never miss to try, it’s to chew the ice cubes, trust me.

Aish…” Jaehwan offered his juice, pushing his glass across the table. I chewed the ice cube in my mouth absently and poured some of Jaehwan’s juice on my glass. “Thanks.” I said, the ice cubes melting in my mouth.

“Manners Barbie…”

“Whatever Ken.”

Jaehwan smiled before sliding his hands on his coat pocket and then revealing a long white envelope. He handed it to me, with a confident smirk.

“W-what this?” I asked, receiving the envelope. My heartbeat was slowly accelerating as I studied the envelope. It was from a familiar Japanese address and a thousand of thoughts rushed inside my head. There’s only one way to find out…

“The key to your dreams.”

I tore the side of the envelope and got the piece of paper inside it. I breathed deeply before I opened it and read it.

The Botanical Institute of Hiroshima

 

Dear Ms. Hwang Dohee,

 

We would like to tell you that you have qualified to be one of the selected botany majors to partake in our screening and hiring of new botany graduates….

 

I didn’t even bother to read the rest of the paragraph in the letters. I was beaming with happiness and tears were starting in my eyes. “J-Jaehwan…”

“I know I’m the best,” he shrugged arrogantly. “I’m Lee Jaehwan for a reason.”

“This means a lot to me!” I exclaimed grabbing both his hands. Jaehwan smiled and pressed my hands. “I know…”

“I-I mean…h-how d-did you—”

“Connections.”

Oh my freaking gosh. This is so amazing! I can’t even—”

“But that’s all I could do…”

“Are you kidding me?! This is even more than enough!”

I can’t help but feel so excited. Can you imagine it? Me finally having a chance to work in the botanical institute of my dreams?! Ugh! This is heaven right now!

It’s really a once in a lifetime opportunity to be having the privilege to apply in such an institute. Ahh, Jaehwan is truly an angel!

“Work hard Dohee, I’ll just be by your side….don’t hesitate to ask me for help.”

“Thanks Jae…really thank you so much…” I pressed his hands tighter, looking at him straight in the eye. I’m really thankful that Jaehwan is in my life.

 

 

Jaehwan insisted on driving me back to the sauna after we bought some gardening materials and I had no choice but to let him and I know he deserves every bit of honesty from me but—not now—there’s still a lot of things that I have to handle and I think it’s better to keep this a secret.

                                   

….There will be two stages in the process before you are qualified for a position in the institution.

First you must send your application form to the institute along with your college transcripts. Second you have to pass the exams and score at least 85% and above.

“A-are you cool with the exam?” Jaehwan asked, glancing at me from time to time. I looked at him and smiled weakly.

“I-I could work on that… I just have to start studying as soon as possible.”

“Your transcripts?”

 “I’m a bit confident with that, I’ll just drop by the university when I have time.” I replied.

I feel so excited and giddy about the letter. Finally, my life is slowly unfolding in front of me. I’m going to become a botanist now. I also decided that I had to keep my job for at least two months so I could have enough to move to Japan.

 

“Thanks for everything Jae.” I looked at him after unbuckling my seatbelt. He smiled once more and placed both his hands on my shoulders. I was facing him now.

“No problem. I’m glad that you’re happy.”

“Yah! I’m happier more than you think! ” I punched him lightly on the chest. His brows raised curiously but his eyes glowed with a hint of amusement. He looked at me for a while and then smiled contently.

“I’m glad.” He replied and pulled his hands away. He gripped my left hand and then placed it on his chest. “You take care.” He said, tapping my hand on his chest. I smiled back at him. “You too Jae.”

He went out and brought the gardening tools out from his trunk and brought it to the ground.

There was a car honking behind us and Jaehwan had to hurry inside his car. “Bye Jae, thank you so much for this! I’m going to work hard!” I said, waving at him.

“Bye Barbie.” He smiled, pinching my cheek lightly.

Jaehwan’s car pulled away. I glanced over to the car that was behind us a while ago. It looks so familiar, I think I have seen it before… maybe it was one of Ahjumma’s old regular customers.

I gestured my hand to make it park on the parking area but it wasn’t moving. W-what’s up with this one? Hmmmm.

I studied the car first but no one is going down. I slowly made my way towards the car when my phone rang. I hesitated at first to grab it but then maybe it was urgent.

I think it was because Super Saiyan Devil Gorilla Boss flashed on my screen. I gulped before answering it. Oh no.

“H-hello S-sir?”

“Please get out of there now.” Get out what?! I’m already out…

“Where are you?”

“P-pardon me Sir?”

“I-I mean, w-where are you?!” What the hell is wrong with this guy?!

“I-I’m in,” I looked at the sauna’s sign and decided whether I should tell him or nah.

“a-at the sauna,”

“What are you doing there?”

“I forgot something…” I lied just to cover up.

“What did you forget?!” What the ? Omg, what good reason could I tell him?

Uh—slippers?” I lied. Ugh, such a lame reason but nevermind.

“W-what?! Miss Hwang, are you trying to get yourself in a serious mess? Haven’t you learned your lessons yet?! You always seem to forget the important things.” he demanded firmly. I pulled the phone away from my ears looking annoyed. Aish, jinja. What the is wrong with him?!

“Just go home. Now.”

“O-okay S-sir.” My life is hopeless.

He ended the call and I wasn’t able to proceed inside the sauna since he sounded too frantic. What the hell is thinking?!

 

 

I took a cab on the way home since it was urgent. Suddenly life appeared to be even brighter for me since I read the letter. I just felt that the universe is taking my side from now on. I feel so inspired and happy that at last… at last I have an escape to this mess that I am in right now. I just have to wait patiently for three months and maybe have enough savings to bring myself to Japan.

 

 

I arrived at Mr. Kim’s residence and he wasn’t even there. That . How am I supposed to go inside if I don’t know the passcode of his house?

I tried to enter his birthday but the door didn’t open. I tried the first three numbers of his phone and still the door didn’t open. I tried to enter random number combinations but still, none of them worked.

I even resulted in typing my own birthday but then the door can’t be opened.

Aish, Jinja what in the world is his passcode combination be?! Ergh.

I decided to just sit on the front porch and wait for him to arrive. He had the nerve to tell me to go home immediately but he’s not even here. I rolled my eyes and decided to rest my head on the pillar. He didn’t even waited for me to finish cooking his lunch for he left. Aish. I even tried to pour all my efforts thinking about what vegetable I would put in there.

I took a nap since it’s getting boring while waiting for him.

 

Two hours passed and yet, he’s still not here. Aish, I’m really going to kill that bastard!

 

 

 “Miss Hwang?” Finally you already arrived from hell? Was it that far away?

I was startled by Mr. Kim’s voice in the background. I looked up and saw him walking towards my direction, bringing with him a paper bag. I stood up directly and dusted off my .

“G-good evening S-sir…” I tried to smile politely.

“Why are you outside?” he asked, his brows knitting together again. As usual…what did I even expect? Anyways, I’ll be enduring those eyebrows for two months only and after that. Goodbye eyebrows, goodbye hell!

“I-I d-don’t know the password…” I reasoned and lowered my head. I could see him roll his eyes. He walked pass by me and then punched in the password. He turned the knob and the door opened.

I followed him inside and then he turned to me.

“It is…It is… zero—three—one—one.” he said, sounding remorseful then changed into his slippers.

“Okay Sir, zero—three—one—one —got it!” I exclaimed enthusiastically. He eyed me for a second and I continued smiling, waiting for him to finally be out of my sight. He turned around and then walked to his office. Seeing him gone, I made a face and walked towards my room.

I changed into my slippers and went down to ask what Mr. Kim would want for dinner.

“W-what w-would you like for dinner Sir?” I asked, standing by the door. Mr. Kim looked up and turned his head towards me. “I’m not hungry. Just brew jasmine tea leaves.” He replied and continued on with his work.

Aish. If Jiyeon finds out about this you’ll be dead.

But I had no choice, I had to follow his orders for him to favor my request…

I hurried back to the kitchen and the brewed some jasmine tea leaves. I placed the tea pot and the tea cup on a tray and slowly made my way towards Mr. Kim’s office. It was quiet and a bit dark. Only a few lights were on—specifically only his table lamp, computer screen and tall lamp shade on one corner is glowing.

“H-here’s your tea S-sir…” I said, placing the tray on an empty table beside the tall lamp shade. I was about to walk out when I heard him clear his mouth.

 “W-wait.”

I turned to him, my eyebrows rising expectantly for an order.

“I—uh—” he stood up and held a paper bag on his hands.

I eyed it and then look at his face. He looked a bit uneasy and his lips a few times. I stood there, waiting for his requets. He cleared his throat again and then handed the paper bag to me.

His eyebrows were starting to meet and then his eyes dropped to my feet, widening as his stare lingers on them. I looked at my feet curiously, seeing my cute pair of fluffy slippers. What’s wrong with my slippers?

Don’t tell me he hates it or I’m going freaking let him eat this.

“W-what’s wro—”

“T-throw that in the garbage can!” his tone switched into a frustrated one and I was taken aback. What the hell is wrong with him?!

I slowly lifted my hands to get it, I attempted to take a look at what’s inside when he snatched it back. My eyes widened, looking confusingly at him.

“Never mind, let me throw it. Just go.”

He pulled the bag to down and stormed out of the room.

I blinked a few times trying to understand what is wrong with my boss but I have no clue—at all.

 

Special Scene:

 

 “I-I’m happy you were given a break.”

Joonmyeon still couldn’t believe his eyes. He wasn’t expecting the past was crashing in again but it was a good feeling—or that was what he thougt. Was this some kind of a miracle?

“Y-yeah,” Joonmyeon struggles to say something while his mind was off to somewhere else, overthinking everything.

“It gave me time manage the hotels.”

Hyejin smiled softly, just like how every lady should act. She was pure, her skin was like porcelain, her eyes works wonders along with her eyelashes. Her cheeks always had their pinkish white glow and her hair was falling flawlessly to her back.

“That’s good. I’m happy your hotels are opening new branches in the south,”

Joonmyeon watches Hyejin carefully like how he used to watch her back then.

“D-dad told me about your plans in putting up a villa resort and gold club in Hongdae.”

“Did he?”

Now Joonmyeon finally knew why she’s in his house. It wasn’t because he was Joonmyeon but it was because he was Mr. Kim—CEO of K&K Hotels, one of the successors of K&K Empire.

He always told himself once was enough but this is Hyejin—she’ll always be different.

 “Y-yes…”

Hyejin looked a little discouraged when Joonmyeon’s voice began to be stern.

Well if we’re talking business here, you could’ve just set up a date for a meeting and we could all sit down and discuss business instead of appearing in front of my house on a weekend.

No matter how Joonmyeon wanted to stay mad and tell her those words, he couldn’t bring himself to. Of course, how could he? She was Jo Hyejin for crying out loud.

He inhaled once more and then spoke.

“Do you like to go out for tea?” And they were back to what they were back then…

Hyejin’s mouth parted hearing those words coming out from Joonmyeon’s mouth.

She felt hopeful.

“Yes.” She said and Joonmyeon couldn’t seem to believe his ears. If that “yes” was also the answer to his question 7 years ago, he could’ve been happier and probably be the happiest person alive right now.

 

 

Joonmyeon drove the car to this exclusive clubhouse in their golf estate. He used to take Hyejin there on dates and special occasions.

Hyejin was sitting on the passenger seat, stealing glances at Joonmyeon and Joonmyeon was stealing glances at her too and she couldn’t help but smile like how she used to way back then.

They were nearing the clubhouse when Joonmyeon’s phone rang. He clipped his earpiece on his ear and spoke.

“Yes?”

Hyejin gulped and looked outside the window but her ears were fully tuned to Joonmyeon’s phone conversation.

“W-what?!”

Hyejin couldn’t help but turn her head and look at Joonmyeon whose voice was rising. Joonmyeon noticed Hyejin’s reaction in the corner of his eyes and cleared his throat, adjusting his voice back to normal again.

“W-what about her?”

“Tell her to go home?”

“B-but why?”

“What is happening?”

“I couldn’t—what? I have no idea what—okay, wait a minute. I’m looking at 4 percent.”

“3.5…that’s a deal?”

“Nice making business with you Mr. Kim Goseon.”

He ended the call and drove the car to the side and stopped.  Hyejin was confused. What’s happening?

Joonmyeon grabbed his phone and placed it on his ears.

“Hello?”

Hyejin couldn’t help but wonder who he is calling…

He usually ignores his call when they were together—maybe because it has been so long or maybe because he’s the CEO now… and he has to take it.

“Please get out of there now.”

“Where are you?”

“I mean where are you?”

“What are you doing there?”

“What did you forget?”

“W-what?! Miss Hwang, are you trying to get yourself in a serious mess? Haven’t you learned your lessons yet?! You always seem to forget the important things.” His eyebrows meeting again into an angry arch.

Miss Hwang? Who’s Miss Hwang? Hyejin though, glancing sideways secretly.

“Just go home. Now.”

He hung up and then clicked his tongue. “You never learn.” He spoke to his phone screen.

“Hmmm?” Hyejin said, turning to him, her eyes hopeful.

Joonmyeon looked at her. “N-no, not you. I was talking about someone else…”

She nods understandingly. Joonmyeon sighs and then checked his rearview mirror. He could still make a turn since there were a few cars coming their way but he looks hesitantly over Hyejin and continues to drive.

Joonmyeon wanted to focus on driving and think about the conversation he would share with Hyejin in the clubhouse but his mind is constantly pulling him back to a scene days ago—broken glass, blood and tangerine hair. He gulps and flexes his neck, trying to shove the picture away from his mind but ended up getting frustrated.

He looked over Hyejin who was quietly, like an angel, sitting beside him, looking out of the window. He bit his lips and tap his thumbs lightly on the steering wheel trying to come up with a good enough sentence.

He was fighting intensely with himself but he was too distracted by that thought of his secretary being so reckless. Finally deciding what to do, he exhales deeply and stops the car to the side again.

“I-I’m really sorry I really have something to attend to.”

“Is it something important?” Hyejin asks, she knew things like this always comes but Joonmyeon always puts her first no matter what.

What happened? What changed?

But it doesn’t mean something change, it might just be something so important that he had to stop the car and tell her he has something to attend to.

Joonmyeon didn’t know how to answer. It wasn’t something important but—it bugs him and he knows it will bug him for the rest of his life if he continues driving towards the clubhouse.

“No but—” He answered, sighing in the end. “I guess…”

Hyejin smiled softly, like an angel before she unbuckled her seatbelt. “Well then you owe me a dinner date Kim Joonmyeon…” she joked and opened the door. Joonmyeon shivered as she laughed lightly—no, she laughed seductively.

“I’ll call you.”  Joonmyeon answered and then she closed the door. Before pulling away she knocked on the window and he rolled it down. “I’ll be waiting.”

Hyejin smiled again and then waved. Joonmyeon waved and gave her a smile. Joonmyeon drove his car and made a turn in the middle of the highway, going back on his tracks. He pressed a button and clipped the earpiece on his ears.

“Hello? Manager-nim? Where are you?”

“You are?” Joonmyeon felt thankful and relieved.

“Can you get me a pair of house slippers?”

“Yes. The one that has thick soles but still soft and comfortable and make sure sharp objects can’t penetrate it. Especially broken glass or any of those sorts…”

“I’ll be waiting in the parking area.”

“Any color would do—wait, just get a pink one…”

“It’s not mine. It’s for someone reckless.”

He ended the call and threw the earpiece on the now empty passenger seat and drove off. Now his mind could be at ease for the rest of his life and he hopes no more broken glass and blood on his kitchen.

Why did I even hire you? He thought, accelerating.

 

But at the end of the day, house slippers never cured recklessness so why did he even bother?

 

 


 

Author’s note:

Hey. I know it took me so long to update and I’m really sorry about it and also for a boring update :-(

College is starting and I’m really busy so the updates will be very, very slow—and I’m talking about months here. I’m telling you now so that you won’t get disappointed and hate me for the rest of your lives. Hihihihi, anyways, I’m thankful that you are still reading this fanfic because out of thousands or probably millions of fanfics out there, you chose to read this mediocre story so I’m way beyond honored and thankful. (And I’m crying because I can’t believe this is real life.)

The updates would be really slow but on Christmas break I will really try to feed you with a lot of chapters to make up for my incapable brain. Thank you so much. 

P.S. I’m sorry if there are any grammatical errors in this chapter and the past chapters as well. I’m so lazy to read them and edit again because it gives me the feeling that I didn’t write well enough….

Have a good day!

Kememeng