16

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

 

I wanted to punch the whole universe after Mr. Kim called. He was trying to demand a house help within 2 days. I mean is he crazy? WITHIN TWO DAYS? And where would I get house help—within two days?

Ugh. Crazy man.

I should probably ask ahjumma if she knows any house help agencies.

This thing is pretty much worrying me because if I can’t find anyone, I’ll be fired. Yep, just like that.

Anyways, as much as I wanted to give him all my middle fingers and burn his hotels to ashes I can’t do that because I’m desperately in need for a job right now. I have to save and maybe go to Japan. I’m not sure what life will await me there but I know there’s a big chance for me to enter their Botanical Research Institution and I’ll have a good and quiet life without phone calls bugging me every minute.

 

“Ahjumma” I called out to her

“Yes?” she turned to me and smiled “What is it Dohee? Is there any problem?”

I shook my head. “Oh no, there’s no problem but can I ask you something?”

“Oh sure, what is it?”

“Do you know any house help agencies?”

“I’m sorry but I don’t know any agencies, why do you ask?”

I started to worry.

“Because my boss wanted me to find him one by Monday or…”

“Or what? You’ll get fired?”

“Yep, you guess it right”

“Tsss. Wait let me check if I have the a phone directory here”  Ahjumma smiled like she could totally relate. She walked towards her office and then bent down towards the lowest shelf and got a book. I waited anxiously, hoping that she has the directory.

“Well, I’m not sure about these but here you go” she said while dusting off the phone directory.

“I’m not a fan of phone directories, so forgive me if I always end up putting them down there” she pointed at the last row of books behind her.

I smiled and shook my head. “It’s okay ahjumma, I’m not a fan of phone directories either—but thank you”

I grabbed the directory and started to search for house help agencies.

I started to scan for house help agencies and luckily, I can find a few on the directory. I sat erect and then grabbed my highlighter.

“Let’s get this done!” I exclaimed positively.

 

 

After an hour finally, I’m done calling the agencies and scheduled them for interview. Finally now I can breathe. I grinned and went out to help ahjumma in the sauna.

Thankfully, there aren’t a lot of customers in her sauna but the number of customers is enough for us both to handle and to keep this sauna going.

I was piling the newly washed sauna outfits into the cabinet while ahjumma was in the counter serving boiled eggs and fruit water.

“Dohee-ah” ahjumma called. I turned to her and smiled. “Hmmmm?”

“Do you want some?” she offered me some of the hard boiled eggs.

“Oh my, yes—I’ll eat it after this” I hurried and piled the sauna outfits as fast as I could.

I rushed towards ahjumma who was enjoying her hard-boiled egg. I sat down across her on my legs.

“Oh, I haven’t eaten this for years!” I exclaimed and rubbed my palms in excitement, ahjumma smiled at me.

“Aigoo, here you go, enjoy it!” ahjumma laughed a little and looked at me meaningfully then sighed.

 I shrugged and smiled blushingly. I smacked the egg on my forehead but regretted it right after—it brought up memories that I didn’t want to remember.

 

{ Flashback }

“Mom, are we there yet?” I asked for the millionth time. My hurts already because the land trip was so long. My mom chuckled and turned to me. “No dear, just wait a little more”

I looked at oppa, he had his earphones plugged and e was closing his eyes. I gave up and I looked at my dad on the rearview mirror; he looked at me then smiled. He then stopped the car at the side, near a small pop-up stalls who were selling different foods.

“Just wait here” he said and rushed outside. I wanted to go with him because my really hurts and the car felt suffocating but it was too late to chase him and there are a lot of people so I didn’t bother to go outside.

 

“Here you go” Dad was back with a paper bag with his hand. “Is that food?” my eyes lit up.

“Yes!” Dad replied excitedly.

“Egg?” I asked. Dad and Mom exchanged looks then smiled. “Yes, it’s hard-boiled egg”

“But I don’t like them” I complained, looking darkly at the egg. I wanted to eat cookies or chocolate bar at the moment.

“You’ll love it! We’ll teach you a trick!”

I look up at them and they each held an egg on their hands.

“The best part of eating this egg is not eating it but peeling it!” my mom enthusiastically explained. She looked excitedly at my father and smiled sheepishly. “Ready dear?”

My Dad looked a bit unsure but still nodded. “I was born ready” he said and mom mother laughed. “Okay”

Before I knew it, my mother smashed her egg on my father’s forehead which gained a grimace from my dad. I laughed, a bit amused at what I saw.

My brother opened his eyes when he realized the car stopped. Automatically, he grabbed an egg from the paper bag.

“Hey! You didn’t tell me you’re having hard-boiled eggs!” he exclaimed excitedly.

“It’s my turn!” my dad said and then turned to my mother. He chuckled childishly. My mother stuck her tongue out like a toddler but before she could lean away my father already smashed the egg on her forehead.

“Ouch!” my mother playfully acted like she was hurt but she wasn’t because they were both laughing after. My dad peeled his egg.

My brother looked at me, his eyes lighting up like a bulb. I looked back at him.

“What?” I asked, I began to be nervous. “Stay still Dohee-ah!” he said and before I could register his words he smacked his egg on my forehead.

To be honest, it really hurts but then it was fun. I rubbed my forehead. “Aish! Oppa! That hurts!” I exclaimed and then pouted. He just laughed. Ugh, I hate him for always laughing at me.

“Are you okay Dohee-ah?” Dad asked, checking my forehead for any marks. There weren’t any.

“A little bit” I said. Dad smiled and then handed me his egg, “Now it’s your turn!”

I smiled evilly at my brother. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is revenge time!

“Yah—Dohee-ah! Do it gently! Not too strong! Please!” My brothe started to lean away but his back already bumped the door of the car. He can’t escape me now.

“Well, I want to eat this egg, I have too peal it first!” I teased then knocked his head as hard as I could with my egg.

“YAH!” my brother erupted and pointed at me. “That was painful! Aigoo!” he complained rubbing his forehead. Mom and Dad just laughed and I also laughed.

“Just eat your egg Dohee-ah and by the time you finish it, we’re already there!” my Dad said and started the car.

“Okay Dad!” I smiled at him and peeled my egg enthusiastically. I didn’t expect this road trip would be fun.

{ End of flashback }

 

“Dohee-ah? Are you okay?”

I snapped back to reality and saw ahjumma waving her hand in front of my eyes.

“Yes, I was just—thinking of something” I reasoned out and peeled my egg.

Gosh, how long was I unconscious? Err.

“Looks like your job is a bit hectic” she commented

I nodded. “Yeah, you could say that” I answered and took a bite of my egg.

“Are you having a hard time?”

“No, I’m—I think I’m just adjusting to my new environment” I explained while ahjumma nodded her head.

“I don’t mean to pry Dohee-ah but can I ask you where your parents are?”

I looked at ahjumma. It has been a long time since I heard the words “your parents” in one sentence.

I smiled, I don’t know how to answer her but I also couldn’t keep mum about it since she deserved an honest answer from me because she was nothing but kind to me from the day I entered the sauna.

“They’re divorced” I said quite bravely although my voice was a bit shaky in the end and my eyes were starting to water but nonetheless, I continued to talk.

I told her about my parents getting divorced and how I was so affected by it.  I didn’t understand how their relationship faltered. I just went home one day hearing them shouting at each other, seeing my mom cry and my father leave at the middle of the night and come back after a week or so.

It was a very messy part of my life. I wasn’t sure who to believe, my mom or my dad.

I also told her about my older brother who I tried to avoid because I was just so mad because he knew all along that t

I was about to continue when I started sobbing and ahjumma ended up comforting me and rubbing her hands on my back.

“It’s okay Dohee-ah, you can stay here as long as you like”

Even though it was really awkward and weird but when she hugged me, I can’t help but hug her back. I haven’t hugged anyone in months and I really miss my family but—I don’t have a family anymore, it’s broken, it’s messy.

 

After helping out ahjumma in the sauna, I headed to bathroom to take a shower to freshen up after a very tiring day.

And like I always do, I had a concert and it was just so surprising to find myself singing new songs that I have just heard.

 

I turned the shower and it was ShowTime. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Careless, careless. Shoot anonymous, anonymous. Heartless, mindless, no one cares about me~~” I sand while doing their starting choreography heartily.

I started to rub shampoo on my hair.

“Naega wolf! Naega wolf! Awooooo! Nae Saranghaeyo~~” I cried and started doing the wolf ears with my hands.

I was now scrubbing my skin.

“Nae eureurong, eureurong euruerong dae! Nae eureurong, eureurong euruerong dae!”

Moving my hips and then my shoulders.

I’m surprised their songs got stuck so easily in my head. Their faces flashed in my head, looking cool and hot. Err. Why are my hormones so active?! Ugh.

“Yah! Dohee-ah! You used to think you were destined to marry a cactus! Why are you now thinking of boys! Get them out of your head! Right now!”

I pointed at my reflection, anxiously. I just can’t get their faces off my mind and I ended up thinking of one face. Suho’s abs flashed instantly on my mind.

WAE?! WHY IS MY MIND ERTED SO SUDDENLY?

UGH!

I slapped my cheeks and shook my head plenty of time but in the end, I can’t really erase his face in my head. I ended up thinking of a more appropriate image of my boss. He was frowning in my head. And it was better than his abs okay.

Anyways, I need to sleep before I drown with all these thoughts. I hated the fact that I surfed the internet too much a while ago now I ended up like an idiot.

I was lying on my bed and suddenly my phone rang.

The number wasn’t registered on my phone. I hesitated to grab it but then it might be an important call.

“Good evening, may I know who’s calling please”

“Hi there Barbie” I heard a man speak on the other line.

My jaws dropped and I almost dropped my phone.

There’s only one person on earth who calls me Barbie—I’m pretty sure this is Jaehwan. His voice seemed to change a little but I managed to notice the resemblance.

“I think you got the wrong number Sir” I answered.

“No, I didn’t”

I breathed, I didn’t want to do this but there’s no use in staying in touch with him. I’m no longer within my family’s range. I’m on my own now.

“You’ve got the wrong person” I said and pressed end call.

I sighed putting my phone on top of my chest. Jaehwan was always good to me. I knew him since elementary. Jaehwan and I would usually seat together during lunch time through high school and we always did a group project together.

But after high school he studied abroad and I was left alone taking Botany as my major in Seoul National University.

I need a rest. I’ll just have to handle this tomorrow.

 

 


Author's note:

Hi there you :-)

I'm sorry for a lame and late update but thank you for taking time to read :-) 

I'm really really happy. I hope you anticipate the next chapter or if you don't feel like it then, it's okay. :-)

Have a good day! Yay! Looks like Dohee's past is haunting her. I'm excited for Jaehwan to finally enter the scene! ^_^