27

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

 

I just walked, dumbfounded, not knowing what to reply. I took a glance at Mr. Kim who was looking back at me his dark, thick brows rising.

“Because the last time I checked you were my secretary and not Mr. Dang” he shot darkly.

So I get it… I’mnot only the secretary but also a delivery woman now huh?. Wow

I stared at Maeri—it’s her fault. It’s really her fault. If she just didn’t say ridiculous things about me then he wouldn’t have to know. Maeri surprisingly looked back at me smiling. Aish. I mouthed and Maeri looked away, with a bigger smile this time. She really likes me getting into trouble…

“Be grateful Joonmyeon, at least she got your suit for you” Mr. Kim Goseon defended, looking a bit nervous as we were nearing the sauna.

“I—I was actually working on the applications of the new crews of the hotel, so I didn’t have time to deliver it to you personally Sir—I apologize” I answered, a bit confidently, acting like I was really sorry, hearing that Mr. Kim Goseon was a bit parting by my side—eat your up Joorilla. I heard Mr. Kim silently sighed in defeat or frustration or whatever—I don’t care.

“So are you living with your grandmother in the sauna?” Mr. Kim Goseon asks all of a sudden. I turned to look at him, speechless. Grandmother?

“I –uh—I mean—grandmothers are more like to handle a sauna right?” he asks, letting out a nervous laugh. Uh, I guess so…  I didn’t really quite get all this jumpy remarks.

 “I actually—she isn’t my grandmother” I replied, putting my hands on my coat pocket. He looked at me, looking surprised and his eyes were wider, as if he was wondering something.

“Oh—she doesn’t have any kids?” he asked again.

“Uh… as far as I know Sir, no, she hasn’t” I answered carefully. He nodded, his eyes wandering above.

“Why doesn’t she have kids?” it was Maeri’s time to ask—again, always the curious brat. I looked at her and shrugged. “I don’t know—I haven’t really asked her about it”

Finally, we arrived in front of the sauna. I turned around to bid them farewell when my eyes caught Mr. Kim Goseon looking adoringly at the sauna’s light sign.

“It’s been a long time…” he said, more to himself in a soft voice.

“P-pardon me— W-were you saying something Sir?” I asked him, not quite sure if he was talking to me. He blinked and then made a small smile.

 “N-nothing, I just… remembered something”

“O-kay… I’m getting inside now Mr. Kim Goseon and thank you for walking me home” I bowed, almost 90 degrees and then faced Mr. Kim who was looking so furious right now, looking away.

Seriously, if eyes could burn and kill people, I’d probably put a mirror in front of him so that he’d die right away from his eyes. That’s what you call suicide. HAHAHA.

“Thank you for walking me home Mr. Kim, I have already emailed you back the reviews for the applications” I bowed to him in an equal manner. He just bowed back and didn’t even bother to glance at me.

I bent down to say goodbye to Maeri and I really hope this will be the last goodbye because I can’t stand to breathe the same air with her. Agh.

“Bye Maeri, goodnight”

“Bye Dohee-ah, goodnight too” she replied sleepily and then hugged me.

OMG.

This bratty kid hugged me.

Are you for real?

I froze even after she broke away.

“Goodnight” I managed to smile and bowed to them once again before I went inside finding Ahjumma watching television. “Good evening Dohee-ah! How’s work?” she asked and scooped on the other side to make space for me in the couch. I sighed and lay my back on the couch. “It was exhausting” I blurted, closing my eyes. “And weird” I added.

“Weird? How so?” she asked, lowering the volume of the TV.

“My boss and his grandfather just walked me here and it’s was really strange because he asked me weird questions so it’s really weird” I explained, my eyes still closed. I continued talking. “He said it something like it has been a long time—wait a minute” I stood up straight. “Do you happen to know him?” I asked ahjumma and sat up straight.

“W-who? H-him?” she asked, her brows knitted. I examined her expression for a while and she really seemed clueless. “U-uh—my boss’s grandfather, I thought you might know him…”

“W-w-what’s h-his name?” she asked, her eyes widening a bit.

“Kim Goseon”

Ahjumma’s lips parted and her expression somehow seemed to change. “D-do you know him?” I asked curiously leaning forward.

“No I Don’t know him” she answered almost instantly but she was still calm. I blinked in surprise but then nodded. “O-oh, I thought you heard his name over the news… they actually run one of the biggest business empires in Korea” I said, facing the television. She rested for a while, her back lying on the couch.

 “I-I think I’m tired Dohee-ah, I have to r-rest now” she said and slowly stood up.

“A-are you okay? A-are you having a headache?” I asked, standing up and assisted her but she stopped me.

“N-no, i-it’s okay, I just need to rest” she replied and walked towards her room. My brows scrunched while looking at her back. Sometimes I worry for ahjumma, she’s really getting old and she has no one besides me to be with her. Where could her family be? I sighed and then turned the television off and fixed the sauna and then went to bed.

 

I’m so glad today’s a Saturday and Ahjumma decided to close the sauna because she said she was visiting a friend. She went out early and after a while I was left checking schedules for Mr. Kim next week and sending reminders at him and then I cleaned the sauna. After lunch, I went out to meet Jaehwan.

“So how’s your stomach?” Jaehwan asked bringing out the snacks he brought along with him. We stopped in an old bridge, watching the sunset.

“Woah—what’s that?” I jumped off from the car’s hood. He shot me a look and brought the food up. “Aish, you pig”

I glared at him. “I thought I was Barbie”

“Yeah that was before I realized you were actually a pig”

I kicked his knees and he automatically bent down and his hands held his knees. I swiftly grabbed the bag of food and found out he brought cheeseburgers and fries. I made a face at him and then grabbed a cheeseburger.

Aww, I miss this!” I exclaimed and then took a bite. He rolled his eyes and then snatched the bag from my hands and got his cheeseburger.

“Pig!” he exclaimed and then took a bite. I just rolled my eyes, I’m too busy eating this so cheesy cheeseburger. Nommm.

“Here’s ketchup” Jaehwan handed me a small satchet of ketchup and I received it, pouring all its content on my burger. “You’re a bloody pig to be honest” he commented, scrunching his face as he saw how much ketchup I put on my burger. “Just let me be for once will you?” I shot back. He just smiled at me—well a bit creepy and then looked at me for a while. “What?” I asked, feeling a bit red. I really don’t like the feeling of being stared at because it makes me feel like I have the ugliest or the most uncool face in the whole world or sometimes it makes me feel like I have dirt on my face.

He leaned closer, not blinking his eyes. What the fuc—

I felt his thumb wipe something from the side of my mouth. “You have ketchup on your face” he said and then put the thumb he used to wipe the ketchup with on my nose. head.

I glared at him and then wiped my nose and my mouth. “Seriously, can you please just eat your burger and let me eat mine!” I hissed and then continued eating. He laughed and then sat on the hood of his car. “Bon appetite!”

I just rolled my eyes and finished my burger faster than ham, my fingers. I know, I’m such a pig. But I don’t care—I’m hungry.

“So what were you doing in the hotel?” he asks, as he finishes off his burger. I sat on the hood of his car and then looked at him. I’m not quite sure how to tell him about me being a secretary of the hotel’s CEO but I’ll have to tell him eventually.  I sighed.

“Don’t tell my brother about this” I said to him seriously. He swallowed and then turned to me attentively. I look at him one more time, trying to gather enough confidence to narrate to him my current situation.

“I’m a secretary” I said. His lips parted a little but he didn’t say anything, just nodded. I continued.

“I work in the hotel for an executive” I ran my tongue on my lower lip, out of habit. Jaehwan looked at me for a while. I can’t read what he was thinking. Does he think I’m crazy for getting that job? Or Did he think it was just right since I needed a job to fend for my needs. I don’t know.

“How about your lovely plants?” he asked, looking at the setting sun. I brought my legs under my head and rested my chin. “My lovely plants…” I sighed and continued “I left them but I left a note to the maids to take care of them”

It’s funny that Jaehwan still remembered my lovely plants. I actually had my own mini greenhouse at the back of the house; my father built it for me as a present for my fifteenth birthday. While everyone my age received fancy clothes, jewelries, cars or whatever, I had a mini greenhouse and that was my paradise since then. Thinking about it now makes me regret why I ran away from home—I miss taking care of them.

“Do you have plans on going to Japan?” he asks. I looked at the sky and thought of Japan and it was a different picture that I see.

Before, I always thought about the botanical research center on a small island, the small town with a lot of elders and fresh air but now, I remember a different place, different faces.

“I don’t know—I mean, I just plan to save up and maybe if I have enough, I’ll take the exams for the institute and then if I pass, I’ll fly there without hesitation” I answered, telling him everything that I was really thinking at the moment. You know people have different dreams and mine just happened to be a botanist and live with my mother, my father and my brother, but now it’s just to be a botanist—that’s it.

“Do you like your work?” he asks again.

“My work… it’s okay” I said, playfully pouting. Jaehwan smiled. “What’s with the pout? Does your boss treat you well?”

T-treat me well? How I wish!

“Uh…” I blurted “I guess so…’

“Seriously? Tell me about him! I’d really punch him if he’d mistreat you in any way!” he threatened, sitting up firmly. I laughed. Tss. It would be a sight to see Mr. Kim getting beaten up—that would be on my bucket list.

“Actually, my boss… he’s actually gay and is so moody” I said, chuckling. “Really?” his brows shot up. I nodded. “Yeah and actually he’s so ugly and bossy and he has a girl’s skin. His brows are too thick and he’s always angry” I said to him, nodding my head in the process.

“And he’s like a grumpy old man with weird lip habits”

“S-seriously?” Jaehwan couldn’t help but ask, a smile forming in his lips. “Well that’s one hell of a boss” he commented.

“One. Hell. Of. A. Boss. Indeed.” I replied, looking at him, laughing. Tch. If Jaehwan only knows…

So we spent the rest of the day watching the sun finally set until it was dark. He drove me back to the sauna before dinner and I brought home take-out food from a Chinese restaurant nearby to share with Ahjumma.

 

I arrived early at the hotel because Mr. Kim was going in this morning. I really don’t know why but I was so sure he had a scheduled event today, he was not supposed to be going in. Everyone rushed everywhere again, fixing, cleaning, and wiping everything. Everyone was at their best selves today, uniforms well ironed and name tags were displayed glowing like they were brand new. I settled on the end of the line of employees just a few meters away from his office. I could see Mr. Do’s forehead sweating.

“I think I’m gonna faint any minute now, I thought he wasn’t coming the whole week” he whispered to me, wiping his sweat with his white handkerchief. I pouted and leaned to him. “I thought so too, I really don’t know why he was going in today”

After a while, the employees started to whisper to each other, relaying the message. “He’s here…uh-oh” Mr. Do gulped and I secretly prayed and prepared myself. Ugh. Why does it feel like I’m watching a thriller movie?

10…9…8...7…6…5…4…3…2…1 and ting

The elevator opened, revealing him. He was in a suit today and he was wearing sunglasses again. Yuck, like where’s the sun Mister? Where the is it?

He walked towards us and we all bowed in synchronization. His brows were in their usual places today, they were almost connecting. I inhaled, preparing for my death. Looks like he did not wake up in a good mood—he never did actually…

“Good morning Mr. Kim”

And then we all stood straight. He turned to us and then nodded his head, as if recognizing our presence. “Good morning” he greeted sternly then went inside his office. I walked right behind him and then followed him to his table.

He ed the buttons of his coat and then pushed them backwards; putting his hands on his pocket and then turned to me, his brows rising. Geez, it’s still so early to have those brows that high you know. Do you happen to have “Chill” in your vocabulary? Like CHILL gull, Chill.

 Before he could speak, I already handed him the mails he got last week.

“These were delivered last Friday sir”

He glanced at the enveloped and then back at me. “Then why didn’t you hand me this over last Friday?” I gulped. Right—why didn’t I? Oh yeah because he wasn’t there. Duh.

“B-because… you… weren’t there Sir”

“You could’ve just let Mr. Dang take deliver it to me along with the suit—at least his efforts won’t be wasted” he answered firmly.

“I was about—I mean—I thought it could wait” I replied, feeling defeated. I lowered my head. Ergh. I don’t like where this is going.

“You thought it could wait? There was a lot of chances you could’ve just sent me a message rather than spend a date at the park with your boyfriend” he shot back and sat on his swivel chair.

B-boy—what did you say? C-come again?!

I could feel my blood pressure boiling. How many ing times do I have to ing say that he is not my ing boyfriend?

I scrunched my brows, my hands turning into a fist. “A-as, I have said before Sir, he is not my boyfriend and c-can you not bring up this up again S-sir, I think it’s getting personal”

“I know what I’m talking about Miss Hwang, I just want to remind you that I’m paying you a generous salary compared to the salary of the other secretaries in South Korea and I just hope I’d receive an equally reasonable work in return” he stated firmly, clasping his hands.

“I’m not just throwing money away for a sloth who gives her work to another person’s hands” he continued.

I froze. I ing prayed for a good day today don’t ing ruin it.

If you woke up with a ty day, please don’t let others feel that because we ain’t got time for that.

“Don’t worry Sir, you are not throwing your money away to some sloth because I just finished reviewing the applications for you and edited your speech and fit your schedules for the next three months. Your money is not wasted” I replied back, trying to hold back the anger that is ranging inside me.

He just shot me a look, I didn’t dare look back.

“I have reviewed the applications; please tell the resource management that I have approved the applications already” I bowed, still stiff from my emotions. “Okay, Sir—I will”

I went to the kitchen to get his coffee. I was having second thoughts whether I should just pour it to his face right now or put a poisoning on it so that he’d be dead for good. ERGGHH! What is his freaking problem? WHAT?

I went out and placed the cup on the usual spot on his table. He didn’t dare look up and he just reading something on his desk. I went to my desk and started to work. I’m just thankful the bonsai tree is standing on my desk, trying to soothe my nerves because if it wasn’t—I might literally choke him with my two hands. I still haven’t forgotten my taekwondo moves from my father.

I printed out his calendar of activities for the next three months—everything was in order, all the time, the dates, the events. Everything was color-coded; I made a legend, made icons so that it won’t be so hard for him to understand.

I freaking spent half my Saturday and my whole Sunday finishing this—and to think those days are not official work days. ERRR!

I silently placed the folders on his table, only saying: “Here’s your schedule for the next three months Sir”

I walked outside to go to the human resources office to tell them that the applications were approved.

 

“Hi there Dohee-ssi, did Mr. Kim review the applications already?” it was Sera, the head of the HR office. I nodded, managing to show a weak smile that faded almost instant. “Yes he did, you can now hand the contracts over—maybe later” I said, a bit gloomily.

“W-was he in a bad mood?” she asks. I nodded again. “Y-yeah”

“­Aish. Don’t worry, he’s always like that, trust me—we have seen worse. You’ll be okay.” Sera patted my shoulder and looked at me with concern. “Y-yeah I hope so, I’m going now and I also received the performance reports, thanks.” I said and then went out. I met Mr. Do on the way; he was looking a bit curious and panicky.

“Dohee-ah”

“Hmmm?” I responded.

“Do you happen to send some maid applicants last Monday?” he asked nervously, searching for answers on my face. Oh . I did.

“Uh—yeah” I replied and bit my lip because I ing forgot about that. Oh no! NO! NO!

“I actually sent them away because I thought they had the wrong office and because I haven’t read your message—I only found out a while ago” he bit his lips, looking apologetic at me. My jaws drop. “Oh no” I said, more to myself. This is bad news. This is ing bad news.

I clearly remembered what he said to me. If I didn’t find one I’m gonna get fired. F. I. R. E. D. Fired.

“D-did they say something when they came here? Or left something or…” I asked Mr. Do anxiously, I don’t even know what to do. I’m sure—I’m just so sure any minute now Mr. Kim will ask me about the maids he asked me to look for.

“I-I’m afraid there is nothing I remember them saying or leaving” Mr. Do replied, looking sorry, biting his lips. I sighed heavily, there’s nothing I could do but find anyone as soon as possible.

“Dohee-ah, I’m really, really sorry” he apologized once again, grabbing my hand. I looked at Mr. Do worriedly and gave his hand a light squeeze “It’s okay” I said and then ran towards the 30th floor, praying that I still have time to call those house help agencies.

I opened the door and found Mr. Kim glued to his work. I gulped and quiet walked towards my table. Please don’t remember, just please don’t remember. I kept on repeating inside my head.

“Miss Hwang?” he called. It’s kind of weird that he calls me Miss Hwang now…it was Dohee before then it became Secretary Hwang and now Miss Hwang, I wonder what name he has in stored for me tomorrow…

“S-sir?” I nervously answered, biting my lower lip. I walked towards his table and stopped in front.

“The house help I asked you to find, where are they?”

. I’m freaking doomed! I ing wondering if he has heard my conversation with Mr. Do 30 floors down because if he had, I’m freaking going to ask him where he bought his ears because I don’t believe it’s still a human’s ear right there.

“I—uh—I actually forgot to reschedule the—”

“You forgot? So it means there’s no house help?” he cut me on my sentence, sounding irritated. I inhaled and clenched my jaw before replying.

“Y-yes Sir…” my hands were sweating and my heart beating fast like I was going to be summoned to hell.

“Okay then, go pack your things. You’re fired” he said, without batting an eyelash. I felt my eyes twitch, my lips parted—no my mouth hung open.

P-pardon m-me? C-come again? Did you just say I’m f-fired?

H-he can’t do this! HE JUST ING CAN’T!

I froze in my place. I can’t even find the words to say, I mean did he just freaking fire me? LIKE SERIOUSLY? He is such an ungrateful piece of . My hands were balled into fists. My eyes were starting to water. I have done a lot of things just for this job I almost sold my soul to the devil you jerk!

“Oh no, no one’s getting fired today”

My eyes grew wider when suddenly  heard a female voice behind. Mr. Kim’s eyes too, widened. I turned around and saw Jiyeon by the door. She was not looking as bright as she used to. Her eyes were unamused, looking directly to Joonmyeon. How long was she standing there?!

“Enough of that Joonmyeon, I have had enough of that” she uttered firmly, walking towards us. I bowed towards her and retreated a few steps at the side to make way for her. I felt Mr. Kim sigh and roll his eyes.

“You can’t have a say in this, I’m the boss” he replied flatly.

“Listen to me young man, we have been so considerate with you and your work attitude but that has to stop right now”

Jiyeon shot back, looking pissed—her brows rising. I didn’t know she could pull out a y aura. Mr. Kim looked at her, equally pissed.

“I don’t need incompetent, reckless and forgetful employees—I need efficient and responsible ones”

“So are you trying to say she’s not efficient and responsible?”

“Yes”

Ouch. How the can you say that?! After I risked my ing everything for this job and you—ARGH!

“How could you? After all the things she has done and that’s how you treat her?”

Damn right!

Damn.

Right Jiyeon-ssi!

“I think the only reason why you insist on her not being fired is that because she takes care of your kids like she’s their nanny”

Uh-oh…I didn’t like where this talk was going.

“That’s not true!”

Their voices were getting a bit loud that I decided to walk away when Jiyeon stopped me—this got me surprised all of a sudden. “Stop there Dohee, you are not going anywhere”

“She’s packing—that’s final” Mr. Kim uttered, angrily. “No! She’s staying and that’s final! Why are you always like that? You fire people unreasonably! If you have trusts issues, you could’ve just confront people and not just fire them” Jiyeon exclaimed looking furious.

True that. ing true!

Mr. Kim stood and shook his head.

“Let’s not talk about this here, let’s talk later” he said and walked towards the door. He opened it but Jiyeon just stood on her spot. “No, we’re not talking about this later, we’ll talk right here and right now” she sounded like she was more evil than Mr. Kim.

He let out a sigh and then walked back and stood by the glass window. “Just because she forgot something doesn’t mean you’ll fire her, can’t you give her a chance to explain?! After all the work she did for you, she doesn’t deserve this!”

Jiyeon inhaled, her nostrils looked like they were releasing smoke like a chimney and then continued. “Why? What was the reason you fired her because she just forget to find a house help and you ju—w-wait—why do you need a house help?” she stopped her sermon and then ended up asking him a question. Mr. Kim looked at her furiously and then talked. “We’re taking 3 months off—no song recordings, no dance practices, they guys are busy with dramas and variety shows”

Was that the reason why I didn’t see any concert schedules on his calendar and only radio shows, photo shoots and magazine interviews and a music video project?

“Y-you’re going home?”

“Yes”

Jiyeon blinked in surprise but Mr. Kim still had that furious look all over his face. I just looked at them nervously. Jiyeon’s shoulders sank down and her expression softened.

“W-well, then I guess—if a house help is all you need—I think Dohee could just do the work for you” she blurted. “If you just asked nicely, I think she’d be happy to volunteer, right Dohee-ah?”

C-come again? M-me? A-a h-house h-help? A WHAT?

Is the universe playing some kind of ing trick on me?

The last time I lived in a proper house was like a forever ago, I don’t even know what a house looks like already—just kidding—of course I know how a house looks like but—me? A house help?

I ain’t taking this . No way.

They both darted me a look, but it was different. Jiyeon’s gaze was more like say “yes” while Mr. Kim’s was “NO. NO. NO. Or you’ll rot in hell”. My eyes travelled from Jiyeon’s face to Mr. Kim’s to Jiyeon’s to Mr. Kim’s and gulped. I ing at making decisions too quickly. I don’t trust my life choices.

I can’t weight things down in this manner—everything is too sudden.

Okay, I know it’s my fault that he still doesn’t have a house help but I, myself is not ing qualified like are you kidding me? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY KIDDING ME? UNIVERSE? LIKE RIGHT NOW?

“I-uh….”

I gulped, my eyes still travelling from Jiyeon’s to Mr. Kim’s.

Just volunteer that you’d get a house help within this day Dohee-ah, you can’t seriously put yourself in this situation you can’t—

“Y-y—yeah” I said, biting my lip right after because I ing regret what I said. Why did I say that? WHY CAN’T I SAY NO? WHY?

“No, she’s not gonna be my—”

Jiyeon raised a finger. “Enough. She said yes—”

“Y-yeah, actually I said yeah” I uttered absentmindedly. She glanced at me and the continued.

 “I mean she said yeah—that’s the end of it. You’ve got a house help now and you still have your secretary. They call this hitting two birds with one stone”

“No they don’t—they call it ridiculous and absurd and crazy and—” Mr. Kim answered furiously but Jiyeon grabbed my arm. Oh no, this is not good news… this is so not good news!

“If you worry about how she will be able to handle it, leave the worrying to me” she said and smiled brightly. “I got this brother and—please excuse us” she said in an authoritative voice.

She is as confusing as her brother. It’s like there’s a big banner over her head saying: I’m the sunshine of the family.

Jiyeon started to drag me outside the office and then Mr. Kim yelled after us.

“Y-yah! Kim Jiyeon!”

But Jiyeon didn’t even look back; she just dragged me until we entered the elevator. Aish, they always get away with what they want! I guess stubbornness is also in their ing genes…

 

“I’m sorry about Joonmyeon a while ago”

This was the first words that came out from Jiyeon’s mouth after that incident. We were inside her car and she was driving. I didn’t know where we were going but I also didn’t dare ask. Everything in my life—if it’s not embarrassing, it happens too suddenly. I don’t even have the chance to even ponder about things that are happening in front of me.

Tss. It’s funny how other people had to do it for him, had to say sorry for his actions. It’s so funny I’m dying.

 I my lower lip, since it has dried out from the long silence. “I-it’s okay” I replied, looking at my hands fiddling on top of my lap.

“It may not be that obvious or it might but he’s actually someone who’s aware of everything around him, there are a lot of things that he thinks about and sometimes he forgets about himself or worse, he forgets about manners and that he could hurt people with his actions”

Tooot. Wrong. He doesn’t forget that he could hurt people—he does it intently, in fact he is becoming a natural at it. Like he feels the world’s destruction lies on his ing hands.

I just looked at her, she was focusing on the road but her eyes seemed to look far. “Mr. Dang’s wife met an accident two or three weeks ago”

I gasped. My eyes widened and I felt guilt crippling my veins. I didn’t know… I feel so bad about my self right now…

 “Joonmyeon knew this and told Mr. Dang that he could have could work only in the morning so that he could be with his wife during the rest of the day. That’s why he was so surprised that he was still working that afternoon to deliver his suit”

I suddenly started to worry anxiously and felt really guilty. “I-I’m so sorry”

“It’s okay; it’s not your fault. Sometimes, Joonmyeon just has this weird temper”

“I’m really sorry Jiyeon-ssi, I didn’t know—I thought—”

“It’s okay Dohee-ah, don’t feel guilty, please. I just want to speak Joonmyeon’s side because he was never good at this—telling people about the other things” She explained, stopping me from apologizing further.

The car slowed down and finally stopped as we waited for the green light to flash on the traffic sign. There was still 90 seconds left on the clock and Jiyeon grabbed this opportunity to hold my hand and pressed it tightly between hers.

I was startled, my mouth opened a little. She looked at me pleadingly and spoke.

“I-I know this is desperate Dohee-ah, but I hope you really forgive him and be patient with him. He might be so moody from and then but I really worry about him a lot, not just me but his family. He’s not the type to speak what he thinks and I’m afraid he just can’t handle things well when he is on his own.”

I was silent. I didn’t know what to say. I just feel bad about myself but I’m still angry at him too but I also can’t lose this job.

There are a million reasons to hate him and kill him and crush him and curse him but hearing one good reason not to do so makes me fall right back to the starting line. I’m still his secretary, he is still my boss at the end of the day.

I sighed and looked at Jiyeon, I nodded and gave a weak smile and spoke. “D-don’t w-worry, I’ll work hard”. It was all that I could say because I don’t know what to.

 Jiyeon smiled, looking relieved and then her hands were back to the steering wheel again. I just looked outside the window, sitting still.

Then I began to feel uneasy seeing that the place was familiar. I-I have been here already.

I saw a tall building with three shorter building in front and then there’s a pet shop and then a convenience store and there’s a telephone booth and then a small park and then…. then….

It was too late, we were heading back to our exclusive subdivision—my past—where I grew up—back to our house. Oh no! Oh no! D-does J-jiyeon know? W-why is she driving in this direction.

We were going to one of the farthest points of the city, the exclusive village was a boundary of thick forest outskirt and the city—it was a one of a kind community. It was a vast subdivision and houses were far apart from each other.

She took a turn and we are finally at the gates. She stopped over the inspection drive and lowered her window. I sunk on my seat, bowing my head, trying to hide my face from the security personnel. She handed her exclusive villager’s ID and then she brought the windows up and continued to drive.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

It has been a long time since I have been here but I never intend on going back. I wanted to jump out from this car. I looked at Jiyeon nervously and back to the road. If she’s gonna turn right, I swear I’m gonna jump off this car.

“W-where a-are w-we g-going?” I asked, stuttering so bad, my hands were already glued on my seatbelt so that I could unbuckle anytime now.

Jiyeon looked at me and smiled. “It’s a surprise” she answered. I gulped. Oh no, don’t tell me…

My hands were already pressed tighter on the seatbelt, waiting for the moment she’ll turn right.

I clenched my jaw and then waited for the right time to jump off.

3…
2…
1…

Then she turned left.

W-what? S-so w-where are we going?

My grip on my seatbelt loosened and I looked at her again, still nervous.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be there in no time” she assured and drove rather fast but I still can’t calm myself down.

 

We pulled over in front of a tall and huge white gate. Jiyeon unbuckled her seatbelt and then opened the door. “Wait for a while” she said and then walked fast towards the small security booth.

After a while the gates were opened and she drove inside. “We’re here” she exclaimed, sitting up straight and wiggled her body a bit.

“W-what is this place?” I asked and looked at the huge modern house in front of us.

“Joonmyeon’s house”

My jaws dropped. I can’t even believe what I’m seeing. I always pictured him living in hell, sitting on top of a bon fire or something but this was different—it was almost like heaven since the house had a  white accent to it.

“M-Mr. Kim’s house?” I asked in disbelief. Jiyeon looked at me, smiling widely. “Yes”

“Come let me take you around!” she unbuckled her seatbelt and hopped out excitedly. While I freeze on my seat, my eyes twitching and my mouth flew open once again.

S-so t-this is the h-house that I’m going to clean?

To clean? T-this house?

B-but this looks like a castle… I can’t.. No way, no way!

I felt Jiyeon open the door for me and handing out her hand. “Come on Dohee-ah! I’m excited to show you around!”

I blinked my eyes and then slowly unbuckled my seatbelt. I still can’t seem to take my eyes way from the really huge house. “O-okay”

I inhaled deeply and pressed my lips together. Welcome to your ing life Hwang Dohee.

 

Jiyeon was so ecstatic while showing me around. I didn’t expect it but his house looked so neat and organized and everything was white—not everything literally, but almost all was white, or cream colored or gray.

“Don’t worry; his house doesn’t really need that much cleaning since it’s not that messy”

I nodded attentively but my eyes were stuck everywhere—the bookshelves, the couch, the weird piece of paintings hanging on the high walls of the living room and the hallway.

“Just a little vacuuming here and there would be okay, unless you’re allergic to dust—are you?”

She sent me look. I shook my head. “N-no, I’m not”

She clapped her hands once. “Well that’s good!” she exclaimed dreamily and then took me to the other parts of the house. “You really don’t have to clean. All he needs is one who sets the house ready when he is home, cooks dinner and prepare his bath and also brings his laundry to the laundry shop and do dry cleaning for him” she continued.

“This is the kitchen. Actually, there’s nothing here except for the appliances, it has been a year or so since he came back here, so we have to hit the grocery store later”

W-we?

The kitchen was a little spacious, no not just a little, but really spacious. It was still white although there’s a mix of black and gray due to the refrigerator, oven, kitchen stove and microwave plus the smoke machine and oh also, the coffee machine. Oh, it’s like I’m hunting for non-white items in here. Haha, coooooool.

“We actually send someone to clean this house every week but Ms. Im was already too old for the job, Joonmyeon asked for her to rest already”

I followed Jiyeon’s lead. She pointed out where the storage room was, the comfort room and then the backdoor.

She then took me the dining room which was quite long for one person to eat at. It had ten chairs and the table was quite long. Then to the other room, which was his personal library and office—I guess. There were tall bookshelves full of books. Tss. I didn’t expect him to be a reader.

“Joonmyeon likes to read manga and likes to solve suduko and crossword puzzles”

“Really?” I asked, hmm, where have I read that?

 There was a huge and wide curtain hanging on the other side of the study, facing his desk. Jiyeon walked across the room and then stopped right before the curtains.

“He is not tolerant to cold that’s why sometimes; he opens this curtain during the day to let the sun warm this room when he was still studying while training”

“What’s outside?” I asked and Jiyeon looked back at me. “It’s a garden”

My heart stopped upon hearing those words. A-a garden? You mean there are plants? Flowers? Trees?

OH.        MY.           GOSH.

I think this is heaven on Earth.

 “R-really?” I asked excitedly, running towards the curtain and then opened it. The flowers and plants were covered with vines and weeds and some were already withering and some were dead.

“W-wow” I can’t help but be fascinated with the view. Jiyeon, on the other hand looked at me with a confused look. “I-it is full of weeds and vines actually, this place is hopeless”

“But it is still beautiful! Hopeless? Not anymore!” I said, looking adoringly at the garden. “Can I go there?” I asked impatiently. Jiyeon nodded, still confused. “O-okay…”

I hurried towards the backdoor in the kitchen and then went to the garden. I can see everything in here. The garden was huge and it has a tree standing at the corner.

My eyes began to wander around. The grass was tall but nonetheless, they were so beautiful!

OMG, I think I have found my wonderland!

“This garden needs a little bit of work—don’t worry I’m going to save you babies!” I murmured to the dying plants stuck on the cracked flowerpots.

Jiyeon followed me outside; her brows were knitted in confusion. “I-is anything wrong?” she asks, struggling to walk over such a tall grass. “Nothing is wrong, everything is perfect!” I exclaimed excitedly.

“C-can I volunteer to be his gardener?! I mean I could work here during weekends and then plant flowers and maybe some herbs and then I could culture the soil maybe, and then I might do some landscaping! Oh my goodness I can’t wait—this is—this is heaven!” I exclaimed eagerly that I was caught breathless in the middle of the garden.

It has been a very, very, very, very long time since I stepped on a garden. I miss this! I totally miss this!

I noticed I was so ecstatic. I looked back at Jiyeon nervously. Omg, I’m sorry for being so hyper suddenly.

I bit my lip as I walked towards her. “I-I’m sorry, I just got carried away”

Instead of getting mad, she just laughed and grabbed my hand. “Dohee-ah! You are so cute and adorable! I really like you!”

My mouth flung open. “H-huh?” Did I hear that right? C-cute?

I-is she crazy or what? Me? Cute? Adorable? Oh my gosh, what is happening with the world?

“Don’t worry you can do anything with this garden. It’s actually an eye sore ever since Joonmyeon moved out to live at the dorm” she said rolling her eyes “So it’s good that you want to take care of it” she continued, regaining her smile.

“Now, come let’s go and breathe life into this house again!” she enthusiastically yelled and then pulled me with her.

 

She showed me the second floor of the house. There were three rooms. One was Joonmyeon’s, the other two were guest rooms. The living room in the second floor had a white grand piano in the center along with comfortable couches and still—there were weird paintings on his wall and one was a volcano painting.

Tch. Is this the volcano he has been talking about?

She called her maids and instructed them to clean Joonmyeon’s house in the meantime while we go to the grocery store to shop for his food supplies.

It was crazy that she knows a lot about handing the house. I mean—I didn’t expect her to know everything since rich people always have someone to do these for them but—she was different.

The grocery store journey was full of advices and tips from Jiyeon.

 

  1. Buy only low fat, low sugar, and low carb products for him—he doesn’t really go to a gym as often as the others because he is always busy.
  2. He loves fruits, so always see to it he has fruits every week and he loves tangerine, and make sure there are tangerines on the table
  3. He prefers strawberry jam, but still you should have peanut butter and hazelnut ready since he has weird sweet tooth attacks during midnights
  4. He loves his mother’s cooking and hers alone but you can always try.
  5. His personal hygiene and toiletries kit is delivered monthly to him by the company who sell the products that they endorse, but always make sure if already delivered it by the first day of the month, if not—call.
  6. Always have ice cream for emergencies and hot chocolate.
  7. Don’t forget coffee, forget everything else but not coffee
  8. And also vitamin water and chocolate energy bar.
  9. He does not like curry. JUST NO. If you still want to live.

 

And I was having a very good day not until I saw my phone with 31 missed calls from my boss.

 


Author’s note:

I can’t believe that Dohee was fired again but thanks
to Jiyeon she still got her job but this time, she is a
part time house help. OMG. I’m excited how things
will go in the next chapters. But surely, I say to you
there will be a hell lot of Dohee and Joonmyeon
interaction in the next chapters. Weeeee!

And I also apologize if this update is boring and long but
I’m happy how it went—Joonmyeon was always mean
but Dohee now has two people on her side. ^_^

Thank you for reading :-)
And sorry if I have updated a bit late- I was actually making
my other short fanfic which stars Luhan hihihihi

Have a good day!