29

The Devil Wears Calvin Klein

 

 

Have you ever experienced being sad the moment you wake up? Like when you open your eyes you already know that damn, you’re sad?

You think it’s sickening? But I tell you what is more sickening is that the moment you wake up, you feel your stomach punch you in the and tell you you, I’m ing hungry.

Well—my stomach did and for the first time in my life, I preferred to wake up sad than hungry.

Uhh…” I struggled as I try to walk inside the hotel. The wound was not completely healed but I can see fast progress in here. It’s not that quite painful anymore when I try to use my left foot but I try not to step on the ground completely, I walk while tip toeing my left foot.

I looked at my watch and it read 7:35. Holy baboons. I’m freaking late.

Ahjumma changed the bandaged for me but she had to go to the pharmacy first because we already ran out of sterilized bandages so—that’s why I’m running a bit late and I’m ing nervous right now praying that death isn’t waiting for me on the 30th floor.

I tried to walk faster, looking like a girl with one leg shorter than the other because of how I walk but I don’t care. I didn’t want to be dead by the time I arrive on the 30th floor.

“Dohee-ah!”

I turned around and saw Mr. Do widely smiling, bringing a cup of Starbucks with him. Ugh—now I’m hungry.

“W-why are you so happy?” I asked, as we both wait for the elevator door to open. He smiled at me and then put his arm around my shoulder.

“Today’s the end of the month!” he gleamed as he finished his sentence, patting my shoulder and pulling away. I nodded, confused and clueless about what he is saying.

“…Is it independence day or something?” I asked.

Ting.

The elevator door opened and then we both walked in. “Seriously?”

“I really don’t know what you’re talking about honestly” I said back and pressed 30, while Mr. Do pressed 3.

“It’s the day everyone’s been waiting for, but apparently…not you I guess” he shrugged, sipping from his cup.

“Valentine’s day?”

Hmmmm…close enough but no”

I nudged at him. “Yah, what? My funeral?”

Tsss. When you’ll figure it out, you might even throw yourself a party!”

“Now I’m curious” I blurted looking at him suspiciously.

“Seriously Dohee-ah, think about why people always look forward during the end of the month?”

“…because they are one month down closer to new year?” I guessed. He shook his head in defeat. “Aigoo

“Then what?” I turned to him, getting more curious. He smiled at me for a while and then the elevator door opened.

“Paychecks” he snickered and then went out.

P-paychecks?

…I-I’m g-getting a-a p-paycheck?

F-for r-real?

Ooooooooohhhhhh

I was speechless when the door closed and then the next thing I knew, music was playing in the background.

{ MUSIC a/n: it would be better if you listen to it, really and feel the excitement ^^ }

I began to start dancing my body, although I can’t tell you I can dance professionally but whatever—who cares when you have a paycheck waiting for you in 30th floor right?

RIGHT!

I started to throw my feet alternatively but carefully and then point my fingers in the air like they do in 80s, right, left, right, left. I’m starting to feel the rhythm of the music….

OMG! I’m gonna have ing pay check y’all!

You heard it right!

P to the

A to the

Y to the

C to the

H to the

E C K! Paycheck everybody!

OMG! I’m going to buy flowers seeds and some flower pots… yes pots…should I buy brown ones or black ones? Or right! I saw cute pink ones! Should I buy the pink ones? Hmmmm. Whatever –I’ll just decide when I get to the store!

And then some gardening tools oh wait… should I need a gardening suit? I should!

And also, I should buy a gardening hat right? And yes the herbs! Where do I buy them?

Omg there’s so many things I’m so excited about!!!!

! This is freaking exciting!

THIS IS SO FREAAAAAKKKIIIIIIIING EXCITEEEEEDDDDD!

Like can you feel the excitement? The music ?!?!! Omaygoodness, I’m so excited!

I continued dancing rolling my hands around and then moving my hips wildly to the left and to the right and to the left and to the right, but of course don’t worry about me, I’m still tip toeing my left foot. Hihihihi, but let’s party! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I’m so excited!! And I just can’t hide it! I’m about to lose control and I think I like it!” I sang and then started to bang my head and pretended that I was playing in an electric guitar.

Then I started shaking my hips and then whipping my hair my hair back and forth.

I’m so excited! And I just can’t hide it! And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want it!”

I sang and then danced all around the elevator. ! My very first ing paycheck ever in my whole freaking life!!!!!!!!!!

I started to form my hand into a fist and then brought it to my mouth and used it as a microphone.

Is this how Michael Jackson does it right?

I then tried to do a hip but failed because apparently I’ve got no talent in dancing. But I don’t care! BWAHAAHA

“I’m so excited”

“And I just can’t hide it!”

Head bang.

“I’m about to lose control but I think I like it!”

“I’m so excited!”

Hair whip

I then pushed my hands down and then pulled it up, just like I was strumming an electric guitar.

“And I just can’t hide it!”

Now it’s to show you how it’s done with the shoulders! I held out my thumb and then my point finger pointing it forward on my reflection on the elevator door.

And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want you!—”

Ting.

And together with the elevator door, the gates of reality opened.

“Holy ” I muttered to myself as dark, bold, thick, scrunching brows welcomed me on the other side. I froze at the sight of Mr. Kim, I dropped my jaws along with my handbag and I directly stood up.

I just looked at him, freezing and he was also equally as surprised as I am but with a hint of irritation and anger.

Oh , this is ing embarrassing? What do I do?

Should I evaporate? tttt. ArGGGgghh

, do you have an exit door towards the pits of the Earth?!?!?!

It would be my pleasure if the ground will eat me at the ing moment because—

“What are you doing?” he asked firmly and blinked his eyes once— intensely. I gulped. , what the was I doing anyways?

“I…uh…” I looked at the glowing numbers above and realized we were still on floor 20.

Ting.

The elevator was closing when he stopped it with his hand. “You’re late” he blurted angrily and then stepped in. I gulped harder.

Can I say it one more time?

!

Ugh, this is so uncomfortable ugh...

The air was ing awkward. I stepped aside, the farthest distance I could be away from him—which was an arm length so... Ergh. Face palm. Why the is he standing at the middle of the elevator anyways….

.

I think I’m going to explode from embarrassment—really UGH!

I ing hate myself!

I nervously combed my now messy hair due to the hair whipping and head banging party a while ago, looking down and I felt my cheeks ing burning. My eyes were awkwardly blinking and I felt my stomach swim.

I started to have a very hard time breathing, like where the did all the air go? WHERE? Don’t tell me he ing owns the elevator air because that’s just . ya’know.

.

It’s so embarrassing why can’t I just be ing normal for once? FOR ONCE?!

I tried to hold back all the embarrassment that has been bottling up and I swear, it will probably cause my head to burst one day.

I bit my lip so hard and yes, I could taste blood. Because that was freaking embarrassing back there!

I heard him clear his throat and it just made me stiffen more. I feel like I’m stiffer than a rock right now…. Ugh.

“H-h-how’s your feet?” he asked like he was choking. Geez, he can sing like an angel but there are moments when he talks and I just feel like he’s a ing three year old kid learning how to construct sentences.

“I-it’s g-getting b-better S-sir…t-tha-ank y-you b-by t-he w-way” I replied, my head still hanging low.

The there was silence… awkward silence.

“F-for what?”

WHAT THE ?

Are you really serious?

I’m mentally fainting right now. How narcissistic could he be—should I ing say everything to his face?

Is he so ing dense?

Tch. This head is just so full of himself! ARGH!

“F-f-for a-assissti-ing m-my w-wound S-sir…”

“T-that’s all?” he asked, raising a brow.

you!

“A-and f-for c-carryi-ing m-me S-sir….”

He looked at me with his infamous expression like whenever I’m telling him his schedules, appointments, news and etc. like and what else?

“A-and f-f-for d-driving m-me h-home…” I gulped.

This man right here deserves both my middle fingers right now!

“We’re equal now” he blurted. WTF? What the do you mean?

I’m not narcissistic unlike you— head.

Ting.

Thank heavens! The door of the elevator opened and then it’s like there was an abundance of air again! Thank heavens!

Grrrrrrrrr.

Grrrrrrrrr.

What the actual ?

My eyes widened and so were Mr. Kim’s when we both heard our stomachs grumbled in chorus.

Oh . What the is happening now….

This is so awkWarddddd….

I gulped and then looked away, feeling my cheeks burning to ashes now while he looked like he wanted to say something but ended up speechless.

Mr. Kim was about to step out when he almost tripped, good thing his hands held the frame of the elevator to support his balance. I gasped and threw my hand on my mouth realizing it was my bag that caused him to almost stumble. Oh .

I tried to hide my laughter, but I just can’t seem to execute it completely because this scene is so ing once in a lifetime. Like who see their boss tripping while going out of the elevator.

He darted me a furious look. He rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue and the pushed himself to straighten his body and then took a big step over my bag.

I swiftly bent down to get my bag and then walked after him—with one foot tip toing and the other completely flat on the floor. I’m doomed but he cares—he almost tripped! Waahhh

And One thousand face palms are awarded to….drum rolls please….HWANG DOHEE and KIM JOONMYEON!

Now I know why we’re equal….

 

 

“Oh, yes—yes please, I’d be delighted Mr. Okawa—it’s always been a pleasure doing business with you”

“Good morning Mr. Ting, this is Kim Joonmyeon—I just wanted to set the final date of the meeting—maybe next month?—oh really? Okay Sir, I’ll just make it up to you—I see—you know it’s a busy world—Hahaha—yes—yes—Okay, goodbye—have a good day Mr. Ting”

Mr. Kim has been receiving and making phone calls ever since I arrived this morning. I rushed towards the small kitchen and made his coffee. I also prepared a sandwich for him. Maybe, I’ll just grab something later with Mr. Do at the hotel’s café.

I placed the sandwich and the coffee on their usual spot on their desk and then went back to my table to work. Even though I’m so occupied with my work, my mind and my eyes were glued on the sandwich. C-can I have a bite? Ugh, I’m really hungry.

Anyways, there’s no use staring at it. I’ll just finish what I have to do this morning so that I could grab lunch early.

I opened the email and the sort out the emails for Mr. Kim and then for the general office. It’s really boring you know—this work—it really is—I mean it’s not that I’m complaining but sometimes I really don’t see myself living like this for the rest of my life.

I looked at my bonsai tree and I was reminded of my dream—being a botanist. Go to Japan, work at a botanical research institute there and maybe travel around the various botanical research gardens in the world and eat at whatever time I’d like.

I’d like to wear a lab gown again and not this awkward office outfit that doesn’t really look like an office outfit. Agh.

Ring.

I got the telephone and answered it.

“Good morning, K&K Hotels, may I help you?”

“H-hello? I-is Joonmyeon there?”

I scrunched my brows. Who’s this?

“May I know who’s calling please?” I asked and glanced at Mr. Kim who was still on the phone.

“T-tell him this is their Manager, Jong Hugak”

“O-oh? M-manager-nim?”

“D-dohee-ah? Hwang Dohee?”

“Y-yes” I replied, gripping the phone tighter. Geez, he still remembered me… I almost didn’t recognize his voice.

“I’m actually having a difficulty calling him through his phone so I wondered if I could call his office—is he there?” he asked, sounding worried.

“Y-yes, but he’s still on the phone, talking with someone….would you like to leave a message? I’ll relay it to him”

“Y-yes please. I’m actually driving now back to Busan because my mother got sick and no one’s staying at the dorm to guide the idiots…” Idiots? Tch.

I thought Jisuk and I were the only ones who noticed….

“…Could you tell him if he could stay at the dorm while I’m away to watch over them? It’s really an emergency…” he asked.

“Y-yeah sure, don’t worry Manager-nim, I will tell him. I hope your mother gets well soon” I said and then he ended the call, saying thank you. I looked at Mr. Kim’s back; he was looking outside the glass window, his eyes looking far, far, far ahead.

After a few minutes, Mr. Kim was back to his swivel chair, facing his computer, the sandwich I made was in between his fingers—well good that he finally ate it. I took this opportunity to walk over to his table and relay their manager’s message.

He looked up when he noticed me standing in front, trying to chew the last bite of the sandwich.

“U-uh, your manager just called Sir and he asked if you could stay at the dorm while he was away…” I said, my fingers nervously fidgeting behind my back.

“WHAT?!” he replied in shock, wiping his mouth with the napkin.

It made me nervous but I went on to talk.

“Because his mother got sick and he had to go to Busan…” I continued. He placed a hand on his forehead, closing his eyes, trying to absorb my words and looked stressed at the news. He sighed and then opened his eyes and his brows were once again scrunched up.

“Did he leave the dorm already?”

I nodded, pressing my lips.

And then right on cue his phone rang, he rolled his eyes before answering it.

“What is it Sehun?!—Yah! Please tell me you’re not—YAH! Byun Baekhyun how many times do I tell you not to put vinegar on Sehun’s milk!”

“You better prepare your asses; I’m going there NOW!” he growled and then turned his phone off. He ruffled his hair in anger and then darted me a look.

“You’re coming with me!”

I pointed to myself, almost choking. “M-me?”

But Mr. Kim didn’t answer; he just grabbed his coat, stuffed some folders and files inside his briefcase and then wore his sunglasses and stormed outside, his forehead wrinkling and his teeth gritting in frustration.

 We were back inside the elevator but all I could breathe was pure angry aura radiating from his skin. Uh-oh….

 

 

 

We arrived at their dorm, it was actually located at this exclusive condominium, I guess they got it for security purposes and also because it’s really kick —it looks like a hotel or something….

“Please ring the board members to have the meeting by 3 instead of 10” Mr. Kim instructed as we entered the building. I did what he said, grabbing my phone and then calling the board members’ secretaries.

By the time we arrived at their dorm, I was shocked by the sight, I was in the middle of talking to one of the secretaries but I completely forgot what to say. Mr. Kim’s jaws dropped, as he puts down his sunglasses.

Everything was in chaos—like literally—everything. There were shoes everywhere and the pillows were on the floor. The curtains were weirdly hanging by the windows. There were feathers flying in the air. There was weird smell from somewhere and it smells like burned cookies.

Jongin and Sehun were grabbing each other while Xiumin and Luhan hiding behind the couch as Tao aims his wushu stick at them. Kris was trying to hold Kyungsoo as he tries to get Baekhyun and Chanyeol, the derp was laughing with Jongdae the troll as they throw pillows to the other members. Yixing was surprisingly in the middle of the room looking clueless about what’s happening, the feathers were stuck in his mouth while he was playing with them, catching them in the air like he was a cute bunny princess.

“YAH!” Mr. Kim yelled angrily.

“H-h-Hyung…”

Everyone blurted in surprise, like they saw a ghost in front of them—w ell make that two ghosts since I’m behind Mr. Kim.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and froze on their spot. The smell of the burning cookies was becoming evident and Kyungsoo glared at Baekhyun, giving him a punch in his arm and then ran to the kitchen.

Mr. Kim sighed in frustration, trying to find the last ounce of patience stored in his gut.

“I tried to warn them” Kris blurted simply, shrugging. Mr. Kim nodded and flexed his neck. Uh-oh.

“At the count of three, I want you to fix your mess up” he firmly said, gritting his teeth

Everyone blinked nervously.

“One…Two…Three”

And everyone rushed all around the place, grabbing the shoes, pillows, books, feathers, toys, wushu sticks and then the others got the mop and started to clean the floor and then the others were hanging the curtains back to its original form.

Mr. Kim exhaled all his anger and then helped them with cleaning up.

“H-hello? Ms. Hwang Dohee? A-are you still there?” a secretary on the other line asked.

“Y-yeah…I’m really sorry…uh…where were we again?” I asked, trying to get my head together. I went out to continue making the calls.

 

 

 

Nom. Nom. Nom.

Trust me—this lunch is ing awkward. Everyone was so quiet. I looked around and realized everyone’s eyes were darted on me. They weren’t eating yet.

“W-w-What?” I asked and stopped stuffing lettuce into my mouth. They didn’t say a word just eyeing me and then my plate and then me again.

I gulped and I was eating like a hippopotamus—I’m so ing hungry—I bowed my head in embarrassment but still continued to stuff my mouth with food. I don’t give a , I’m so hungry.

“That was awesome!” Chanyeol blurted as he high fived with Jongdae. “Let’s do it again!”

“Do it again and I will burn you down into ashes”

Oh .

It was Mr. Kim out from the kitchen. He warned as he placed the hot pot on the center of the table. I chewed the lettuce hurriedly causing me to choke. UGH!

Ug..Ug…Ug..”  I choked, slapping my chest hardly. .

Jongin, who was beside me slapped my back gently, assisting me as I try to cough because of the stuck lettuce leaves in my throat.

What the hell. UGH.

For the love of goats…get this lettuce out I can’t breathe!

“Aigoo, why do you eat like a hippopotamus?” Jongin remarked, rubbing my back. Kris, handed me a glass of water while I heard the others silently chuckle. Ugh, curse them!

I shot a deathly look at Jongin who was boldly laughing at my state. I stepped on his feet under the table and Kris growled in pain. Oops wrong feet.

The others laughed at this and I finally found Jongin’s foot and stepped on it more intensely.

“YAH!” he exclaimed. I made a face at him and then rolled my eyes.

I drank the water and thankfully, my throat was cleared. Wooooooh! That was close!

I still tried to tap my chest as I recovered, feeling totally smaller than an ant right now. Jongin was still rubbing his hand on my back as I try stop from coughing. I heard Mr. Kim clear his throat rather loudly and then everyone turned to him.

I gulped and wiped my mouth nervously not looking at his direction for I know I will be burned and sent to the pits of hell any minute now. Just ing feel it.

“Let’s eat” he said flatly, still sounding disappointed and mad at them. Everyone was silent, praying to themselves or whatever and then started digging in.

They all took big servings of the food and my jaws dropped open. Kris was getting the food for Sehun and Tao while Luhan was feeding Xiumin. What?

I gulped and then got some food for myself too. Hmmmm, yummm.

“Dohee-ah, try this, it’s great” Jongin said, shoving a spoon into my mouth while others hummed in agreement. I glared at him but still accepted the food. Hmmm. It was a bit spicy but I love it anyhow.

“What was that?” I ask Jongin when I finished swallowing the food.

“That was spicy ground pork with garlic and crushed tomatoes”

It wasn’t Jongin who answered. It was Mr. Kim. I think I’m burning right now, in my very seat. If I’m not mistaken he might be summoning me to the lord of dark magic somewhere in the darkness of the universe inside his head. Oh gosh please no.

“O-oh, i-it’s g-g-good, hmmmm” I commented to save my or something. He didn’t look at my direction just continue eating. Fine, like I care.

“Hyung really makes good dishes” Baekhyun commented earning a death glare from Kyungsoo.

“Do it after eating, Kyungsoo” Mr. Kim said, sipping on his soup. Kyungsoo looked away from Baekhyun and then continued eating while Baekhyun looked uncomfortably scared at his seat.

 

 

After eating, I was the one who did the dishes because Mr. Kim along with the eleven idiots had a closed door talk. But I can hear some whining and protesting and yelling across the dorm.

Unlike yesterday, I was more careful with the dishes although I still can’t forget what happened last night. Vanilla scent…

Oh no! Stop thinking about that Dohee-ah! Stop!

Aish. Why is my brain so spontaneous? First I’ thinking of vanilla and then the next thing I know I’m thinking of minty toothpaste.

What? What minty toothpaste are you talking about?! Y-yah!

Y-you’re scaring me already!

I shook my head anxiously, trying to wipe away my thoughts. Aigoo, what’s happening with me?

Dripping wet…

Blonde hair….

Dark, beautiful eye brows…

B-bwa? B-beautiful e-eye brows? Are you ing kidding me?

How can eye brows be so beautiful?!!?! HOW!?

YAH! Dohee-ah! What the are you thinking!

Ugh! Erase! Erase! Erase!

I tried to shake my head frantically as the thoughts were trying to evade my mind without warning. Aish.

I think I’m going crazy. Aigoo, what’s happening with me?

I hit my head three times to get myself straight and then slapped my cheeks three times again.

“Y-yah! Dohee-ah! You should really get yourself straight!” I said as I rinsed another plate on the sink.

“You should really do”

I jumped on my spot when I heard a voice talking from behind. Oh my goodness gracious. The dark, beautiful eye brows, dripping wet hair, vanilla scent, and minty toothpaste thoughts were gone because they were finally in front of me. Oh ! Oh !

Oh no!

I stopped breathing when I saw Mr. Kim walking towards me. “I’m off to the hotel for the 3 pm meeting, watch over them and don’t let them go out the dorm and do anything stupid” He instructed.

But all I could see was his eye brows. Stupid eye brows!

Stupid blonde hair!

Stupid dark black eyes!

Stupid eye brows! ARGH!

They brows rose again. “Are you even listening?”

“U-uh, y-yes S-sir” I replied, nodding excessively.

He studied me for a moment, his brows high on his forehead; he rolled his eyes before he turned around and walked away. Wew!

I exhaled and then continued to rinse the dishes. Face palms, what I am even doing with my life.

 

 

After washing the dishes, I went to the living room and caught them talking in whispers and hushes and excited giggles.

“H-hey” I said and walked towards them when they all stiffened and looked at each other nervously.

“W-what’s up?” I asked, trying to be casual and friendly. They all smiled frantically, still exchanging glances. Others were surprisingly coughing while others rubbed the back of their necks.

“W-were j-just g-gonna g-go t-to o-our r-rooms a-and w-watch…ouch” It was Chanyeol who spoke but then got interrupted when Tao elbowed him. He glared at him and mouthed I got this man!

“Watch what?” I asked curiously.  “Can I join?”

Their eyes widened and looked at each other with problematic faces and the others tried to shake their heads secretly. Tch! Like I can’t see!

“Pokemon!”

“Pororo!”

“Pocahontas!”

Luhan, Baekhyun and Jongin answered together.

“We mean Pocarokemon”

“We mean Poromontas”

“We mean Pokehonro”

I scrunched my brows and narrowed my eyes. What the ?! Are those movies?

They all stared at each other and then snapped their fingers.

“Basketball!”

“Football!”

“Ballet!”

They still had different answers and I began to get suspicious. “A-are you kidding me? What are you really watching?” I asked, crossing my arms on my chest.

Kris immediately slapped their arms and then answered for them. “We’ll be watching paranormal activity” he said and then Sehun and Tao jumped into each other’s arms.

“Hyung! I thought we were watchi—”

They were cut when Jongdae slapped their arms. “Aigoo, these kids are really scaredy cats—you know—paranormal activity is really scary” he reasoned, laughing awkwardly to himself. Then continued “I-it’s not really for the weak hearts and girls because it’s really scary” he said, trying to emphasize how scary it was.

I get it. I’m not dumb. You don’t need to be shy when you like to watch horror movies, like come on, it is pretty understandable if you hear people scream every now and then—it wouldn’t really make you any less of a man…

I rolled my eyes. “T-that’s bad, horror movies aren’t my jam. Maybe next time, I’ll just stay in the living room” I said, sitting on the small chair across them.

“Y-yeah! Y-you should stay in the living room!” Yixing exclaimed joyfully, along with Baekhyun. They all looked so relieved and happy, wiggling their eyebrows at each other.

“S-so…w-were going up Dohee-ah…. J-just stay h-here o-okay?” Chanyeol said and the rest stood up and walked slowly towards the stairs.

“O-okay” I replied, curiously watching their freaky weird behavior. I watched them as they climbed up stairs and until they have gone inside the room.

“P-please knock if Joonmyeon Hyung is already back” Tao said excitedly and then together with Sehun they ran like kids upstairs.

“O-okay” I shrugged.

I settled myself in the couch. Ahhhh, this is relaxing.

I’m feeling pretty sleepy since I ate a lot at lunch. I guess taking a nap wouldn’t really hurt.

 

 

I was woken up by the sound of the door opening.  Holy ! Mr. Kim

I immediately sat up, wiping the saliva trails on the corner of my mouth— Eww—I think I have been asleep for three hours already. What the hell

I ran towards the entrance and saw him standing by the door, changing into his slippers. “Where are they?” he asked, looking around, noticing peace and order inside the dorm.

I gulped. Where were they again? oh right! They were watching a horror movie.

“T-they were watching a movie in the room”

“M-movie? What kind of movie?” he asked, his brows meeting. “A horror movie” I replied and then walked towards the stairs hurriedly, I remembered Tao telling me to knock if Mr. Kim was already back. Mr. Kim placed his briefcase on the table.

I slowly walked towards the door, I  really don’t like horror movies so it’s equally uncomfortable with me to even just glance at one scene and I heard faint noises like a person screaming, or I’m not really sure—Is that a person being tortured?!

Tch. I think so…is this how horror movies sounds like?

Geez, there are pretty scary…

I was about to open the door but I was startled seeing a shadow, apart from mine on the door, I turned around and saw Mr. Kim behind me.

“Aish” I uttered in shock, covering my open mouth with my hand. Gosh, that was pretty scary. Mr. Kim scrunched his brows and then we heard a loud moan from the room, we both exchanged looks.

Oh my gosh!? Is that the ghost killing a person?! Nooooooooooooo

How many ghosts are there?

Is the ghost a girl?

He reached for the knob and the door opened. I gasped, not turning around because I can’t afford to see a ghost.

Mr. Kim’s eyes widened in rage and his mouth was wide open. W-what is he seeing?

Is the ghost dead already?

Why are there weird sounds?

“H-hyung….” the others said in shock…oh my gosh, what’s happening? Did the ghost disappear?

Curiosity got the better of me, so I turned around trying to take a peek of the movie but before I could clearly see the movie on the television, Mr. Kim's hand flew on my eyes, saying: “Dohee, no!” and then his arm encircled my shoulders dragging me away from the room. I could feel his chest touching my back and it seemed like I forgot about the horror movie. There was the vanilla scent again and I think I’m choking. Why does it have to smell so ing good!?

He was still dragging me while I tried to move, wondering what the he was doing.

What the is he doing?

It all happened too suddenly but I still managed to break free from his grip but he’s just too strong—really—I wonder where he got this strength from and held my shoulders tighter—geez, he maneuvered me to face him and then pinned me on the wall not too far away from the room and then took his hands away from my eyes.

I was so confused and surprised about what he just did. I looked up at him but he seemed to look so angry. He was breathing heavily and then looked straight into my eyes.

“I told you to look after them!” he hissed, his hands tightening around my shoulders. I gasped at the pressure put on my shoulders. Realizing this, Mr. Kim took his arms off and then looked at me once again.

“Meet me at the living room”

And then he stormed towards the room, banging the door shut. I just stood there; completely clueless and confused about what’s happening…

Geez, what the is so big deal about horror movies?!

They were just watching movies!

Aren’t they allowed to?

And now it’s my ing fault?

What the ?

 

I was sitting nervously in the living room, listening to Mr. Kim’s sermon upstairs everyone hurried down and all of them lined up on the side. I stood and then asked them what was going on but nobody replied.

“I was just out for a few hours or so and this is what you do?! Do you even know how old are you?” Mr. Kim scolded. All of them were looking at the floor, biting their lips, and hiding their faces.

Geez, what’s so wrong about watching a horror movie?

“And you…” he looked at me, I stiffened and gulped.

“I clearly remembered telling you to watch over them and not let them do anything stupid!”

I bit my lip. “T-they w-were j-just w-watching h-horror m-movies S-sir…” I blurted, avoiding his eyes.

“And you believed them?!”

“W-why wouldn’t I? T-there’s nothing wrong with watching a horror movie…” I looked at Mr. Kim and then continued. “W-what were you watching then?” I looked at the other idiots with a worried expression.

Everyone looked hysterically at me and Mr. Kim glared at them. They all then pointed at each other.

Mr. Kim brought his palms to his face, shaking his head.

“I-it’s h-his f-fault!” they said, nudging each other on the side. “It’s Tao’s CD” Yixing said and everyone’s fingers were pointed at him.

“Yah! It was given to me!” Tao reasoned but still everyone pointed at him.

“Can you for once control your raging hormones and act decent?! For once?! And to realize there is girl inside the dorm?!” Mr. Kim continued his face so angry.

“I’m not going to let you through this time, no one’s getting their weekend passes this week!” he announced and everyone hissed and complained.

“That’s final, and no Friday night barbecue, you should learn your lesson!”

Everyone pouted and complained but Mr. Kim was firm on his decisions. “Go back to the room and prepare for the photo shoot tomorrow!” he instructed pointing at the stairs.

“And you… you go home” he looked at me, sounding so disappointed.

I nodded weakly and then went to get my bag. I really can’t understand what’s the problem with watching a horror movie inside the dorm? What’s with the hormones getting related towards horror? And does is really require an all men population to watch a horror movie? Tch. Un-ing-believable… what the is happening to the world?

Tch. I should really join one of the feminist movements today and hope for a better earth.

I went outside their dorm and walked straightly towards the elevator. Aigoo, I’m so stressed right now, really, why am I at fault at this? Like seriously, I came out to have a good time and honestly, I’m feeling so attacked right now.

I was already outside the building when my phone rang. . It’s the gorilla. Let’s brace ourselves.

“Hello Mr. Kim—”

“Where are you?”

“I-I’m in the ground floor Sir…” I replied

“Stay there, don’t move”

And then he ended the call. Okay, whatever you say.

So because sometimes I can be so dumb, I really didn’t move. I still had the phone on my ear and then I froze, I didn’t blink, I didn’t breathe—but I’m just kidding—teehee, got you there didn’t I? Anyways, I can’t really help but move because the air was getting chilly. I forgot to bring my coat. Ugh.

I tangled my legs and then blew air on my hands because it’s really cold. What the is that gorilla up to anyways? I looked around trying check if he was coming or not or

Yah! Why am I even thinking that he’s coming?! Like ew, over my dead body.

And where the is he? Tss, he must be playing a prank or something….

What if he doesn’t show up or something…

Wait—did he even tell me that he was coming or something? NO.

OMFG. Ergh.

Should I go? I probably should. I’m ing freezing in here. I looked around and he was still nowhere to be seen. I shrugged. you Kim Joonmyeon.

I decided to continue walking because it has been past five minutes and no—no Kim Joonmyeon or Gorilla was showing up. Geez.

Why the did I even believe him to stay and don’t move. I guess I’m turning nuts…

I already saw the gate of the exclusive condominium and started to walk a bit faster, since it’s getting darker and colder. Aishhh, I hate the cold.

Ring.

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and then answered it.

“I told you to stay there and don’t move!” a voice said strictly on the other end. My eyes widened and I stopped on my tracks. I gulped and then bit my lip…how the did he…

I swiftly turned around and saw him panting, wearing a cap and a face mask.

“I—uh—I” I was speechless. . But really I thought he wasn’t coming because he didn’t say a thing about it, all he said was stay there, don’t move.

Even when his eyes were covered by the cap, I can feel it killing me in a million of ways. Uh-oh.

He ended the call and then I walked slowly, nervously towards him.

“When I tell you to stay there and don’t move, I mean you to stay and don’t move”

I gulped and nodded anxiously. I pressed my lips and then shivered when the wind blew. Aish, it’s so ing cold.

“H-here’s your paycheck” he uttered and handed me a long white envelope. My lips parted, my eyes stopped blinking. My heart froze for a while.

…P-paycheck? I-I h-have been w-waiting f-for this all day….

F-for r-real?!

O.         M.         G.

“Aren’t you going to get it?” he shot, sounding irritated. I was speechless, like this is a very historical event in my life I can’t really say a word, I mean, this is my very first pay check in my freaking life!

Someone should take a picture or something…

I received, tears starting to form in my eyes. M-my h-hardwork p-paid off……

“T-his is…” I muttered to myself but I was unable to continue—forgetting the right words to say, blinking away the tears that were forming. Awwwwww, I’m so happy right now… Finally after a month in hell… finally…we did it everyone, we did it!

“I called Mr. Dang, he’ll be here in a minute, wait for him, and I told him to drive you off to the sauna” he instructed, putting his hands on his pockets. I nodded weakly; I can’t seem to register his words because all I could see was my very first paycheck in my entire life.

In my ing entire life, I can’t….; I didn’t know this is a very emotional moment…

I feel so overjoyed that I didn’t know what has gotten into me that I just rushed and hugged him and I smelled vanilla once again. I closed my eyes and then the tears came falling, I smiled cheekily and spoke: “Thank you Mr. Kim!”

I’m so happy, I wanted to celebrate and throw a party right now!

He was taken a back and it was his turn to freeze, using his point finger he place it on my forehead and the pushed it me away, giving me a death glare. Ooops, sorry but not sorry

I smiled to myself. T-this is one of the happiest moments in my life. I just smiled cheekily at him and grinned. “S-sorry, I-I was j-just so happy” I blurted and bit my lip, looking down at the ground.

He looked uncomfortable. I could see his brows meeting again and him getting annoyed or irritating but who cares, I’m having my paycheck right now!!!!!

I still can’t stop smiling and looking at the envelope. How does it look like? What paper did they use for the check? Is the check colored or plain white?

OMG. This is so exciting!

Then I wondered how it would feel like telling my family about this when I get home, treating them dinner on our favorite restaurant by the sea. I wonder who would smile the widest. Omma? Appa? Or Oppa?

Would Appa pat me on the back?

I bet Oppa is proud right now….

I wonder where Omma is…is she okay?

Is she living healthily?

I wonder what kind of food we would be ordering in the restaurant. Would we go for pork or beef or chicken or seafood?

I just wonder….

The wind blew again, a little bit colder this time; my skin is freezing, waking me up from my thoughts and back to reality.

I didn’t think the day would come that I’d miss them so, so badly.

I then heard Mr. Kim sigh, maybe he was getting impatient or something I looked up and then saw him taking off his coat.

Aish, why didn’t you bring your coat? Why are you so forgetful?” he complained while putting it on my shoulder and fixing it. I froze as I feel the warmth of his coat enveloping me. What the is he doing!?

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Once again, Mr. Kim just left me speechless, instead of my body freezing, it was the background that froze, it stopped and the faint noise I hear from the road not far away seemed to quiet down.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

After he put the coat on my shoulders, he just stood there grumpily, desperately warming himself by rubbing his palms and then blowing air onto it, a bit freezing and a little jumpy on his spot. He must hate the cold too.

“Do you like to have dinner at a restaurant by the sea Sir?” I asked. I didn’t know where I got the confidence to boldly ask my boss but the words just came out too soon, there was a gram of regret but nonetheless, I already said it.

… Dohee—ah, what the did you just—

Can you just for once chill…?

Can you please not break this moment? Please?

Well.. okay…

He looked at me, looking surprised. I looked at him hopefully.

Ring.

It wasn’t my phone but his. He seemed not to hear it, his eyes were still wide in surprise and I was feeling hopeful of his answer. His phone kept ringing, bringing him back to his sense, his brows raised and then he rolled his eyes and then grabbed his phone, taking a few steps away and answered it.

W-well, I guess that’s a no…

But at least you tried Dohee-ahh…

Peeep Peeep Peeep

There was light coming our way. It must be Mr. Dang. I turned around, putting my hand on top of my eyes to protect it from the glare and then realized it was indeed Mr. Dang. I looked back at Mr. Kim who was still attending to his phone.

I took off his coat around my shoulders and then walked towards him. I bowed and handed it back. “T-thanks S-sir, I’m going now” I said.

He stopped talking and just looked at me, his hand receiving my coat. He blinked a few times and then realized that the Mr. Dang has already arrived.

“S-see you tomorrow Sir” I bowed again. I didn’t wait for him to reply anymore, I think I already know what he’ll say....

 

“Good evening Dohee-ssi” Mr. Dang greeted as I climbed inside the car. I smiled at him and bowed. “Good evening Mr. Dang”

“Shall we go now?” he asked and I nodded.

“Y-yes please” I replied and then we pulled away, I looked out the window, looking at Mr. Kim who still wasn’t moving, his eyes following the car as we drove away.

“It’s nice to finally meet you Ma’am…” Mr. Dang said, as we were making our way in the highway. I was taken aback for a moment but I managed to smile.

Hihi, you too Mr. Dang” I replied back meekly.

The traffic was heavy since everyone from around the place is going home. The car stopped abruptly as the car in front also stopped.

“I’m afraid only a few understand but I’m happy that you are one of them Miss Hwang” Mr. Dang said suddenly, his grip on the steering wheel loosened a bit since the traffic was a bit heavy.

“P-pardon?” I asked leaning forward, trying to check if I really heard him right. He just smiled and then drove again slowly, as the car in front of us was accelerating.

“If you ask me, most of the employees are afraid of him and some fear him just because others do, but to be honest, everything is just misunderstood—deep down Mr. Kim is really a very good person” he said and I sunk down at my seat and remembered what Jiyeon told me about.

I remembered that his wife was in the hospital right now and Mr. Kim told him to only report during morning so that he could spend the rest of the day taking care of his wife. I looked at him, although I can’t see his whole face but I can see one of his eye glittered.

“I have been working for their family for over 30 years and yet, they never changed; those people have the kindest hearts here on Earth…although often misunderstood”

“I’m really happy that you try to understand him Ma’am, I hope you don’t grow impatient—he might look strict and cold but deep down he has just a lot of things to think about, I want to thank you for understanding him despite his mistakes” he continued. I just nodded and remembered what Jisuk and Jiyeon told me.

I smiled hearing these words from Mr. Dang. “D-don’t worry Mr. Dang…” I replied.

Finally, the car before us accelerated and then we did too.

Before we could finally cross another boulevard, I told Mr. Dang to pull over at an authentic Korean restaurant. I decided to just treat Mr. Dang a grand dinner for takeout from a restaurant so that he could bring it to his wife.

It might be great if Mr. Kim went to dinner with me. I never asked anyone out to dinner but on my first attempt, I got rejected. Ouch.

Anyways, what do I expect—he’s Kim Joonmyeon not my ing pet friends. Aigoo.

But I think Mr. Dang deserves this dinner more because he has been serving the Kims for thirty years and all he could say were good things about him.

There might be days that I super-duper hate my boss, like—I hate him to the bones and I curse him, and want him to die but also, there are days that he isn’t so bad at all.

And today, I don’t hate him.... today; it’s a he-isn’t-so-bad-at-all day.

 


Author’s note:

Hello, I was really trying my best to update soon but
due to the internet connection problems, I have failed.
And also because I'm a pea brain and I just can't
seem to write a good chapter....

I'm not sure about how you'll see this chapterbut I’m
happy with this chapter because I like the idea of Dohee
enduring one month under Kim Joonmyeon’s hands…
She did it! Congratulations!
She finally got her paycheck! ^_^

To the people who read, subscribed, upvoted, commented
—thank you so much from the bottom of my heart :-)

Have a good day! Don’t forget to smile and live healthily ^^

P.S. And about the music, I know you might be wondering why it’s
a bit old but I think it’s the best song that fits the situation and
because Dohee wasn’t born in the 2000s so she really still knows
this song hihihihihihihi :-)