Breaking the Bond

Officially Missing You - Alpha and Beta College AU

I feel so embarrassed for always making mistakes. Ok, my co-author had brought out another issue. Minor one, for those who didn't notice. Jongin didn't have money for cab in the previous chapter because he left his wallet, remember? Let me clear it up. He took a cab, went back to campus, grab his wallet, and went over to Siheung. He's rich, so yeah, anything's possible.

 

All clear. XD

 

Onwards to the update. Some of you have already hated Jongin with a passion. Oh my gosh, this is my fault, isn't it? Lol.

 

______________________

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn't bother to dress up nicely the next morning. He wakes up with his usual messy bed hair, drags his feet to the bathroom to take a long and hot shower, before advancing slowly to the kitchen, where he prepares breakfast for the five other members still asleep upstairs. The wall clock in the kitchen points out 6.30am by the time he's done with his cooking. It's still too early for students to be up, but a little too late in Kyungsoo's schedule. He prefers sitting alone in an empty lecture hall until the rest of the students file in, even if he has to wait for three hours.

 

Paediatric lecture is not supposed to start until 10am that day, but Kyungsoo is already out of the door by 6.45am, briskly making his way through the dark path that would take him to SMU's main wing's entrance. No one is about, as expected, allowing him to hum out his favourite song loudly, enjoying the cool morning breeze against his face. The peaceful surroundings could only do so little, however, to calm the turmoil inside him, as last night's painful memory comes back with a vengeance. 

 

Jongin is an idiot, that's for sure. He can't even see that his own boyfriend had been hurting inside whenever the older boy caught him talking to some sorority girls with that flirtatious expression he uses too frequently. Did he even realize that Kyungsoo was watching him? Had he ever thought about how he would feel if Kyungsoo was in his shoes? Jealousy, envy, resentment, anger...all of that would probably suffice before Kyungsoo could even apologize.

 

These questions trouble the older boy for the longest time. And it seems that he doesn't need an answer in the end.

 

It's already over from the day Jongin chose to hide their relationship from the world. It simply shows how insincere Jongin was when it comes to his love. When you love someone, you would want to be proud about it, wouldn't you? You would want a few significant people in your life to know about the person you love, right? Kyungsoo couldn't even tell the friends he has outside campus, simply because Jongin wanted to play it safe. Heck, he couldn't even tell his family. Rumours can spread no matter where you are and who you tell. It's best that you keep it between us. Isn't it enough that I love you?

 

That last sentence manages to shut Kyungsoo up everytime. It's like Jongin's trump card, and there's no arguing against it.

 

He pulls a long face as he enters the empty lecture hall that morning, taking his spot in the usual seat at the back, where no one could spot him later in a sea of faces. He likes it better that way. The only person who could ever spot him from a mile radius away is Luhan. That boy has sharp eyes, he swears.

 

Taking out his notebook and his favourite pen, he decides to do a recap on the last chapter, just in case the lecturer suddenly imposes her signature pop quiz on them later. Ms Eun Hye can be very spontaneous sometimes, if she wishes to be. And that's the reason why not many students turn up for her classes. Kyungsoo also happens to be her favourite student, having been able to answer everything she has asked so far. With acute precision.

 

Three hours later, other students start filing in, and the beta guys occupy the row Kyungsoo chose. Class commences on time, with high probabilities of pop quiz hanging in the air. The mid-term mock exams is getting closer, after all.

 

"Ok class, turn to page 256 next and understand the concept of how a child thinks. It's different from us adults, because they can be easily influenced to think otherwise."

 

Once lecture ends, Kyungsoo rushes out to the roof, having sent a message to Jongin earlier to meet him up there.

 

As expected, Jongin is still not there when he turns up. He waits for his boyfriend, staring out at the vast blue sky above him, how perfect the weather is that day, with the clouds blocking the sun but not in a gloomy way. It doesn't seem like it's going to rain soon. Good. He needs the extra time anyway. Jongin sure is taking a while.

 

The younger male only appears half an hour later, not at all guilty for making his boyfriend wait on the roof. "Hey hyung, I've been meaning to talk to you."

 

"Don't bother. I don't think there's anything to talk about anymore." Kyungsoo mutters out, somehow surprised that his body is just seething with anger now. He doesn't want to hear excuses anymore. If he has to keep pointing out Jongin's mistakes, then the boy isn't really learning from them. In fact, he doesn't even realize it. And that hurts.

 

"Hyung, please don't act like that. I heard you went out with a guy last night." Jongin says, and the elder doesn't fail to notice the bitter tone in his voice.

 

Kyungsoo couldn't believe the audacity that Jongin has to address him like that. So what? He's jealous now?! He's ing jealous that his boyfriend---of whom he ing ignored for the last few months and cheated on---hung out with a guy last night?! "Who gives you the ing authority to be jealous of me when you don't even bother to find out the truth first?" Kyungsoo yells out angrily, causing the latter to snap back at the same intensity.

 

"They told me you guys used to be ex-boyfriends. Who in the world goes off to see his ex-boyfriend just because he had a fight with his current boyfriend? In fact, I'm starting to doubt that you even regard me as a boyfriend anymore, considering how you ignore me over something that isn't clearly my fault."

 

"Cheating on me isn't your fault?! Are you ing stupid or something, Kim Jongin?! How the is that not your fault? If I said the same thing, if I said me going off to see my ex-boyfriend is not my fault because he begged me to come, then are you just gonna be okay with it and pretend it didn't happen?"

 

"Of course not! You should have told me you were planning to go out. I thought we promised to tell each other everything!"

 

"Well, there you go, isn't it? The root of all problems. Why don't you just think about what you've said and realize that I'm not the one at fault here, but you. Because then all the misunderstandings we've had for the last couple of months would make perfect sense. You never really think about the consequences of the things you do. In fact, you don't even know what the problem is until I have point it out to you, and it always ends with you being right." Kyungsoo snorts, shaking his head. "You don't even bother to know how I feel about anything. We don't talk like we used to anymore. There's always something you need to do, that ends up getting in the way of our relationship."

 

"It's not my fault for always being so busy." Jongin argues back defensively, but somehow it sounds weak now.

 

"And I would say the same for myself, but I always manage to slot in at least five minutes of my time a day to see you, Jongin ah. You can't even spare me a minute without running off somewhere all of a sudden. Truthfully, that hurts."

 

Jongin purses his lips, completely speechless now.

 

"Look, I don't think I could commit to this relationship anymore if you don't even bother to commit." He slips off the ring on his finger and stares at it one last time. Then he shoves it into Jongin's hand and takes a step back, tears welling up in his eyes now. "I can't do this anymore, Jongin. It's over." He mutters one last time before turning on his heels and runs off.

 

Jongin wants to chase after the older boy, but a small part inside holds him back. What if he made things worse instead by going after Kyungsoo?

 

He sighs. The club fling isn't even his fault. How could it be his fault? He doesn't even know about it. And Kyungsoo just happened to turn up at the wrong moment. He knows that it'll hurt him if their position had been reversed, and Kyungsoo ends up being the one who had cheated. But he would find it in his heart to forgive the boy someday. Breaking up....might not cross his mind.

 

The thought of it suddenly seems so uncertain. His tendency to hold a grudge would sometimes make him do things he might regret later. But in the end, he'll always find a way to make things better again. Right?

 

Ugh. What a dilemma.

 

Kyungsoo, however, doesn't have that strong tendency to be jealous of everything that Jongin does. So whatever that applies to Jongin would not likely apply to Kyungsoo. There must be something more that had driven Kyungsoo to break off their relationship. But what? The wasabi thing? That was almost four months ago!

 

And food could hardly be counted as a reason to break up with someone.

 

He could feel his guts twisting into a painful knot as he stares down at the ring now resting on his palm. The ring he gave Kyungsoo during White Day. The first tear rolls down his cheek before long, and by the time he reaches the alpha frat house, he locks himself up in the room and refuses to get out. He stays this way for almost a day, even when his alpha mates try coaxing him out.

 

They manage to find out about the break-up though, thanks to Baekhyun, because Kyungsoo is apparently crying like now.

 

Chanyeol and Sehun have gone over to discuss this with the beta boys immediately, and they came up with a plan. Well, it's not exactly a fantastic plan, but it will slowly make Jongin realize that he is partly at fault too. Or mostly. Kyungsoo doesn't know about this plan of course, cooped up in his room the whole day with Minseok by his side. He only comes down for food, right after the alpha boys left.

 

For now, all he can do is wait. Hopefully, Jongin might come to his senses soon.

 

_____________________

 

 

"Welcome back to the light." Sehun says the moment Jongin steps out from his room, eyes bloodshot and dark bags visible under them.

 

Tao comes over without saying a word and hugs Jongin tightly, rubbing his back to soothe the younger boy. Jongin feels better to be honest, because he misses feeling this warmth, after spending hours inside his room by himself. The others give him a sympathetic look before coming over to engulf him in a large embrace. And for a long time, the boys stay this way.

 

"It's okay, Jongin ah. Those geeks had no idea what's coming for them. I won't allow them to hurt anyone from our fraternity." Kris says, grinning ear to ear once they pull back from their embrace. There is a glint of mischief in his eyes, a sign that something is about to erupt. And no one messes with Kris when he is angry.

 

Jongin says nothing, because a broken heart deserves to go two-ways, right? And the thought of Kyungsoo celebrating their break-up is too much to bear.

 

"We'll give them the punishment they're worth, with a little fun on our side." Chanyeol adds, with a smile.

 

"And we'll make sure Kyungsoo beg for an apology." Yixing finishes, earning him an acknowledged nod from the others.

 

It is all for the best, Jongin thought. He trusts his fraternity mates. And he wants to stop feeling so miserable. It is all for the best.

 

Unbeknownst to him (and Kyungsoo, of course), this is all part of the plan that they have in mind. After all, Jongin doesn't know that Chanyeol is with Baekhyun. He knows about Sehun and Luhan, but the maknae doesn't say anything about Luhan yet. He's not sure if his break-up with Kyungsoo would end up affecting Sehun's relationship. Maybe that's why he's keeping his mouth shut.

 

As for Tao, Kris and Yixing, they're just really good at pretending that they're on Jongin's side. Well, technically they are, but Jongin could have done better, honestly. They know how ty Jongin's been treating Kyungsoo these last few months. They know about the girls Jongin hang out with behind Kyungsoo's back. Even if he argues that the girls are just his friends, a good boyfriend should at least tell his partner first. Then at least there won't be a misunderstanding there.

 

Jongin doesn't know that his friends are only pretending in front of him. And the mission they have is simple: get Jongin and Kyungsoo back together. The two need each other.

 

_________________________

 

 

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

 

I AM DONE WITH THE BREAK-UP! NOW IS THE FIXING-UP PART! My lovelies, the next twenty chapters (I think) will be full of jealousy, love and drama. Jongin will slowly change. And Kyungsoo...well, there's a reason why Jongin's rich. I will mention it later. Look forward to it. If you have any question, let me know.

 

Because sharing is caring. And Jongin makes sure his darling is comfortable first before he starts singing. Even my boyfriend doesn't do this. Lol