ed Up Christmas 2

Officially Missing You - Alpha and Beta College AU

This chapter goes out to sildo930112. Cheer up, dear. We should be celebrating D.O's debut as an actor. So here's to your jealous heart, I hope it could make you feel better.

 

Double update again, guys! Sorry for any grammatical errors. XD

 

PS: I'M CHECKING FOR ERRORS RIGHT NOW.

 

___________________________

 

 

 

Jongin's heart literally broke into a million pieces when he saw his lover kissing his best friend.

 

Behind his back.

 

Nothing had hurt so much than the moment he discovered such betrayal. His heart stopped beating for ten seconds before he could even find his voice to call out Kyungsoo's name.

 

"Kyungsoo?" And damn, his voice sounded shaky, but it was all he could manage. Holding back the tears pooling in his eyes, he clenched his hands into fists and pursed his lips. He didn't want to have anything to do with the both of them anymore.

 

The ugly green monster inside him reared its tail, but he didn't want to unleash it. Hurt eventually took the most beating on him. And with his emotions in a turmoil, he could have killed his so-called best friend on the spot for kissing his boyfriend, knowing full well that Kyungsoo and him were in a relationship. He could have dragged Kyungsoo far away and push him against a wall, showing how serious he was with this relationship. 

 

He could have left Yoon Hye there and never see her again.

 

But no. Like the man he was, he couldn't find it in him to just leave her without an explanation. He sure as hell did not want Kyungsoo to leave him so suddenly. Like the friend he was, he still valued the friendship he shared with Kris. Like the boyfriend he was, he was willing to let Kyungsoo go if the elder didn't want him anymore.

 

Love is the ability to let go of that person you love and just be happy for him, eventhough you're breaking inside. He understood what his older sister meant now, when her fiancé left her for another woman.

 

So he did the most unexpected thing. Instead of hurling himself into a mess he did not want to create, he simply turned around and walked away.

 

Tears started streaming down his cheeks after that, and Yoon Hye was the first to notice the pain in Jongin's eyes. His right hand was clutching his chest tightly, choking on his breath, and it took her only seconds to realize what this was. Jongin was in love, and whoever Kyungsoo was, had kissed another guy right in front of her boyfriend.

 

Grief instantly clouded her mind after that as she realized that the barely-visible lifeline between them had finally broke. Jongin was no longer hers. His heart was now with someone else. And he didn't even have to say anything. It was all in his eyes. Yoon Hye did the last thing she could do for him as his girlfriend after that, unable to see him in such a state anymore.

 

She wrapped her arm around his waist, and draped his arm around her neck. She still wanted to be his pillar of support, no matter how much he tried to push her way. And she knew that Kyungsoo was watching them. She could almost feel his eyes on her as they continued trudging further away from him. The snow under their feet drowned away all of Jongin's tears, leaving no stains in its wake.

 

He didn't want to let Kyungsoo see his tear-stained face. He didn't want to end up kneeling on the ground and begging Kyungsoo not to leave. But with every step he took, stretching the distance between them, it only made Jongin yearn to go back and hug his boyfriend tight.

 

"Yoon Hye ah...." Jongin muttered the moment they arrived in front of her apartment.

 

He had been silent for almost twenty minutes now. Only the sound of snow beneath their feet and Jongin's laboured breathing could be heard, still a little shaky from his hurtful encounter earlier. Yoon Hye still had her arm wrapped around his waist, afraid that he'll stumble forward if she suddenly released him.

 

She jolted a little when he called out her name, his voice barely audible eventhough there was no one around. "Yes, sweetie?" He winced slightly at the endearment she used on him.

 

Ah, so it was true then. She had finally lost all grip on her seven-year long relationship. And of all days, it had to be on their anniversary. Of course it brought tears to her eyes, of course it made her nose itch and dry, and of course her legs became weak. She was finally losing the one person she cared more than anything in this world.

 

More than her sister, even.

 

"I-I..." He started, trying to form the right words.

 

Yoon Hye pursed her lips and waited for the blow. It was not even 7 o'clock yet and they were already breaking up. Life was so cruel to her sometimes, like the time it snatched both her parents in an accident, and not long after that, snatched her brother's life away too. It mocked her with financial difficulties and victimized her in the form of college bullies. It brought tears to her eyes more times than it made her smile.

 

And now it was doing it again, snatching away the love Jongin once held for her. How much crueler could it get?

 

He lifted his chin then and fixed his gaze on her. Her breath hitched in when she met his eyes. Jongin had never looked so pained before. She knew this was partly Kyungsoo's fault, but another part was also related to her. However, before he could speak out his mind, she blurted out the thought that had been nagging at her since twenty minutes ago.

 

"Jongin, please...."

 

His face bore a conflicted look then, unable to continue what he wanted to say anymore, but at the time, hoping to end this quickly and smoothly. "Yoon Hye, I have to tell you." He murmured, puffs of white clouds billowing out everytime he breathed.

 

It was snowing again, it seemed. Specks of snow landed on her hair and clothes, and the cold air sank into their exposed skin. "I know what you have to say. But....I need to ask you for one last favour." She hated feeling so weak. It was not in her nature. Yet, this was all she could do to keep him a little longer.

 

Just a little more, before she had to say goodbye.

 

"What is it?"

 

"I want you....to spend Christmas with me. Just until midnight. Please. It's all I'm asking for." She said desperately, head bowed and tears staining her cheeks. "And let's pretend there won't be a heartbreak after midnight. Let's just make the most out of our last night together, Jongin ah. Please? For me."

 

He didn't deny her this last request she'd made. As much as he wanted to bury himself under his blanket right now and just go to sleep, he didn't want to leave her hanging like this. She deserved better. So like the man he was, he agreed to spend one last Christmas with her, and he promised to make it their best.

 

 

_____________________

 

 

After Jongin walked away, Kyungsoo instantly broke down into fits of tears. Kris had to prop the younger boy up against his body because Kyungsoo seemed to have lost his ability to walk. He cried his eyes out until his eyes became bloodshot red and puffy, and his lips were quivering badly. He watched Jongin until the younger boy eventually disappeared from his sight, and Kris could only watch in agonizing silence as Kyungsoo stained his coat with tears.

 

"Kyungsoo ah, I'm so sorry. Hyung is so sorry. I-I.....don't have an excuse for doing that to you. I didn't know what came over me."

 

If Kyungsoo was upset with Kris, he didn't voice it out. Instead, he soiled the elder's coat with a fresh wave of tears. Kris almost broke down himself.

 

"Hey, let me bring you home. I don't think I could let you go alone in this state." He rubbed the younger male's back gently, and took the first step forward. Kyungsoo simply allowed Kris to lead the way. He was still too shocked and hurt to think about anything at the moment.

 

Who was that girl? Was she another one of Jongin's ? Why did he just walk away without saying a word? It wasn't Kyungsoo's fault anyway. Jongin happened to just pop out during that two-second kissing scene with Kris, eventhough it felt like an eternity when it actually happened. Kyungsoo simply remembered how his body froze when it happened. He didn't particularly hate Kris for it. 

 

No one could help how they feel about a person. And Kyungsoo was going to wave it off as a mistake anyway. But then Jongin turned up....

 

And every being in him literally shattered into a million pieces.

 

Jongin left without saying anything but his name.

 

His boyfriend literally left and wrapped an arm around a girl's neck after that. Because it was so unlike Jongin, it left such a great impression on Kyungsoo.

 

"Hey, listen. Jongin's not the kind of guy who would sleep around right after finding out that he just got cheated." Kris said, with one arm still wrapped around Kyungsoo's waist. They were waiting for the bus that would lead them straight to SMU's campus. And luckily for them, no one bothered about two guys waiting at an empty bus stop, with one standing limply under the other's embrace.

 

Kyungsoo wished his best friends were there to comfort him now. He only had Kris, and Kris wasn't a bad guy when one actually knew him well. Kyungsoo also had an inkling that the elder will not try kissing him again. Like ever. So he allowed the older boy to hold him, to comfort him and to assure him that everything was alright.

 

The moment Kris said those words, Kyungsoo glared daggers at him, somehow finding it offensive. "I didn't cheat on him, just so you know. I wasn't the one who decided to kiss my best friend's boyfriend."

 

Kris simply shrugged his shoulders and stared straight ahead. It was snowing by then, so their ride might be a little late. "I'm sorry, alright. I can't help it, I guess. The urge was strong. But I promise you that it won't happen again."

 

There was an apologetic smile on Kris's face and Kyungsoo somehow couldn't stay angry at him. He sighed deeply, wondering how his perfectly planned Christmas just turned into an utter disaster in mere seconds. He wondered if his best friends were enjoying their Christmas. He missed them already.

 

"I forgive you, okay. I tend to hold grudges but since you promised not to do it again, I'll take your word for it. I just want swallow fifty sleeping pills right now and crawl into bed."

 

Kris tightened his grip around Kyungsoo the moment he said this. He barked at the younger boy angrily, "Don't you dare around with your life like that, Do Kyungsoo!"

 

Kyungsoo wriggled out of his embrace a little before he pointed out, "It's just a joke. Geez. Calm your ."

 

"That wasn't funny, Kyungsoo. I would probably blame myself for the rest of my life if something bad ever happened to you. And that depends whether I live to see the light tomorrow, knowing how Jongin is. He won't stay mad at me for long, but he'll still lash out at me for a week or two before he would talk to me again. I think the silent treatment would be the worst part I'd have to face from him."

 

"Has it happened before?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Yes." Kris replied bitterly. "There was one time when I slept with the girl he had a crush on for a month. He found us in my bed the next morning, and let's just say, fury blinded him for a week. I was so miserable during that period. Eventhough I'd only slept with her once, the price I paid was great. It was a good thing that he only had a crush on her, so right after that little fiasco we had, he had completely forgotten about her. Our friendship returned back to normal, and I spent more time with him. He's just a big softie inside, and he gets hurt really easily."

 

Kyungsoo said nothing for a while, letting all this sink into his head.

 

Kris continued, in a slightly husher tone, "I think this is the biggest blow I've ever inflicted on him. And I know that I've betrayed our friendship again, Kyungsoo ah. I feel like an for doing this to him, and to you...." Kris trailed off, his voice cracking now.

 

Words were not needed. The younger boy pursed his lips as Kris rested his head against Kyungsoo's shoulder and started sobbing silently. He could feel tears seeping through his coat, but he didn't care. A lot of people were hurt that night. And Kyungsoo simply wanted all this misunderstanding to stop. He knew that he won't see Jongin waiting for him in front of the gates later, but a small part of him prayed that Jongin would turn up.

 

When the bus finally arrived, Kyungsoo had to yank the crying mess behind him onto their ride, and chose the last seat at the back. Not many people were on the bus that time, so Kyungsoo didn't have to apologize for the trainwreck next to him. They sat down in silence, Kris resting his head against Kyungsoo's shoulder, while the younger boy scrolled through his phone list.

 

He found Jongin's number and typed out a message, because he wanted to tell the younger boy the truth even if he had to wait for hours.

 

From: Kyungsoo

To: Jongin

Time: 7.18pm

 

We need to talk. I will wait in front of the gate.

 

When the bus finally dropped them off in front of SMU's campus, Kris said that he wanted to catch some sleep before returning to Siwon's apartment again. Kyungsoo didn't tell him that he planned to wait out for Jongin. So after bidding farewell to the blonde, he stood in a dark corner and there he waited.

 

The time was 7.35pm by then. Way past their agreed time to meet. Surely Jongin would turn up, right? He would never let Kyungsoo wait....right?

 

Despite the cold and his exhaustion, Kyungsoo continued waiting outside the entrance until the streets became darker, with only a few streetlight to light up the empty road in front of him. There weren't many buildings around him. Just a few shops and restaurants. No one even passed Kyungsoo during the whole time he was just sitting there on the side pavement.

 

The cold eventually became too much to bear. But he still waited for Jongin.

 

9.15pm.

 

Still no sign of Kim Jongin.

 

 

____________________

 

 

When Jongin received the mssage from Kyungsoo, worry began clouding his mind. He was bending over a pinball machine at the time while Yoon Hye cheered at him from the side. "You're almost reaching the high score, Jongin ah." She exclaimed excitedly, hands clasped in anticipation as he focused on the game.

 

It was one of the games he was good at. And when he first met Yoon Hye, this was his source of entertainment whenever they went out for dates. She enjoyed cheering for him and he enjoyed winning prizes for her. They were just re-living their memories.

 

"A little more!" Yoon Hye egged him on.

 

That was when his phone vibrated on his left-side pants' pocket. He wanted to check the message immediately but he was so close to beating the high score on the screen. Plus, Yoon Hye seemed to be enjoying herself tremendously, so he decided to check it later.

 

When the game ended, with him defeating the last high score which subsequently led to her getting a new teddy bear, he finally allowed himself to check the message.

 

His heart skipped a beat when he realized it was from Kyungsoo. The message was sent thirty minutes ago. He didn't realize that he had been playing so long. Yoon Hye suddenly ran up to him with a plate of hot ddeukboki in her hands and handed it over. "You deserve it. For the teddy bear."

 

She said with a smile. Jongin instantly softened at the sight. It was one of those things she did again, to make him feel all squirmy inside. She was always looking out for him, making him dread the moment when he had to end their relationship. But at least he knew that she was prepared for it, so he didn't have to feel so guilty anymore.

 

"Thank you, Yoon Hye ah." He said, and she blushed. He never really liked to say thank you.

 

"Jongin, can we still be friends after this?" She suddenly asked as they walked hand-in-hand, fingers intertwined, through the busy street leading them to a small park ahead. Yoon Hye said that she wanted to sit on one the benches there again, because that was where she met Jongin. He had skipped class one time, about seven years ago, and strolled over to this park to catch some fresh air.

 

Yoon Hye had skipped class too, apparently. She wasn't feeling well at the time, and this was her favourite place to be when she felt stressed out. That same bench was where he professed his love to her, seven years ago. And now it would see the end to their relationship as well. That bench held a lot of memories for her.

 

"Yeah, we could." Jongin said. He didn't want to sever their relationship completely. Being friends would do good for the both of them, he thought.

 

While she continued talking about all the things that had been happening to her in college lately, Jongin somehow couldn't help but let his mind wander back to Kyungsoo. Was he serious about waiting out? That would be ridiculous. It was still snowing outside and Kyungsoo could freeze if he continued waiting for Jongin.

 

He hoped that the older boy wasn't stupid enough to wait for him, but he still can't help feeling anxious. He checked his watch for the millionth time that night. It was already 10.20pm. Three hours had passed since the message was sent.

 

He still had an hour and a half with Yoon Hye left.

 

No, Kyungsoo wouldn't wait out. Definitely not.

 

He shook the disturbing thought away and all forms of anxiety left his body after that. Yoon Hye was looking at some shoes displayed behind the glass of a shop Jongin knew well. He saw the temporary frown on her face when she realized that she couldn't afford it. The frown disappeared quickly and by then, she had straightened her back and was walking again, dragging him along with her.

 

He knew she was a size six. And he knew what colour she preferred. His lips curled upwards into a smile as he followed along behind her. He will visit the beta frat house tomorrow morning, when he was ready to face Kyungsoo again. But for now, Yoon Hye deserved his full attention.

 

 

___________________

 

 

Midnight eventually dawned closer and it was time to walk Yoon Hye back to her apartment. She kissed him on the cheeks and wished him good night. And Jongin smiled. Because truly, that was how easy they could switch from being in a relationship into being 'just friends'.

 

"Now, I think there's someone you need to see tonight." Yoon Hye said before she left. "And I think both of you owe each other an apology."

 

Jongin simply stared at her, mouth agaped. She knew him so well that it was almost amazing.

 

"Good night, Kim Jongin. And thanks for all the love and support you've given me all these years. It's sad that we can't do this as a couple anymore, but you're too important for me to forget completely."

 

He leaned down and brushed their lips together then. And that was how they ended their seven-year long relationship. After that, it was time for Jongin to return home. He took the last bus available.

 

12.30am. That was the last time he checked his watch before he unboarded his ride. And the sight that met him literally made his heart stop beating for a good ten seconds. He stared at the lifeless body lying under a pile of snow by the entrance, and when he got close enough, he realized that it was none other than Kyungsoo himself.

 

Lying there.

 

Lifeless.

 

Dear god.

 

His brain clicked into motion and for a moment, Kyungsoo was all he had in mind. Kyungsoo Kyungsoo Kyungsoo...oh, please don't die!

 

After lifting his boyfriend up in his arms, he carried the boy back to the alpha frat house and woke Kris up, who was sleeping on the couch at the time. Kris immediately called an ambulance while Jongin rushed into all the rooms to grab as many blankets as he could find. He also grabbed a pair of his own clean clothes and some socks because Kyungsoo's coat and clothes underneath were drenched.

 

The boy's face was pale as a sheet under the light, and his lips were blue. BLUE!

 

Jongin had never been so scared in his life before.

 

While they waited for the ambulance, Jongin hugged his boyfriend tight, keeping him warm and dry. His cheeks glistened with tears as minutes passed. Kris was pacing around the room by then, calling up Chanyeol, Sehun, Tao and Yixing to tell them what happened.

 

Eventually the ambulance arrived, and both boys rushed the unconscious Kyungsoo to the hospital.
 

"Please don't leave me, Kyungsoo ah. Please....I'm sorry for ignoring your message. I'm really sorry." Jongin cried out in the ambulance, his lips quivering. Kris simply held his best friend close, patting the boy's hair, while the paramedics hastily worked on Kyungsoo.

 

It was going to be a long night.

 

 

 

____________________________

 

 

 

Oh gosh, don't hate me. But at least they're okay now, I guess. Kaisoo, I mean. My inspiration to continue this fic seem to appear only after midnight. Hahahaha. My hiatus is offically beginning. So I'll be updating this only twice in a week. No longer every night. Sorry.

 

 

This was how I imagined Kyungsoo would look like when he saw Jongin with Yoon Hye.

 

A sad Kai is a painful Kai.