Woo Jay Who?

Money Can't Buy Me Love, But I Can Rent It

I tug at the hem of my tan pullover skirted playsuit, over a light pink long-sleeved over-the-shoulder, which was over a white v-neck long sleeved shirt. The giant pockets at the front held my phone and wallet. I wore some light denim skinny jeans that was tucked into my tan sheep skin boots. My hair was lazily pulled into a side ponytail, held by a white tie.

I saw my friend, Woo Jay. Well, that’s what everyone calls Jay. Jay’s name was…pretty much forgotten, which, considering what had happened the last few years, was a good thing.

Jay wore a simple, loose white T-shirt and black skinny jeans. Clad on Jay’s feet were black and white Air Force 1’s. Jay had short black hair, a bit wavy; she got that from ‘mom’ I remember. Jay had ‘dad’s eyes, dark and cool, but pretty wide. For warmth, Jay wore a black hoodie.

Here goes nothing… One. Two. Three.

“Jay, you idiot!” I call out to my very best friend, practically part of my family, “How do you get into that kind of trouble?!”

“It wasn’t my fault,” Jay defended, and I scoffed, “I was just enjoying my lunch, then I found out I owed more than I could make…”

“But you ate more than a year’s income!” I was, yet wasn’t shocked to hear about it, “Who does that?!”

“Me,” Jay gave an awkward laugh, “But you know…I knew you’d be there for me, so I came to ask you for help.”

“Jay,” I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck and biting my lip, “You know I want to help, but…I’m in a situation myself.”

“I know, I know,” Jay said, “The restaurant owners said they could call of all debts if…Well, it’s not going to be fun for either of us.”

“What are you trying to say?” I ask, impatient and just wanting Jay to get to the point, “Get on with it!”

Jay leaned forward, whispering into my ear, “Let’s eat, I’m starved.”

“You—!!” I sighed, “We’ll talk it over some tea and cakes.”

“Sure,” Jay smiled.

 

 

---

Junhyung tapped his finger against his knee, impatiently waiting for So Young to return home. He just managed to get everyone out of his house. It took effort; bribing them with money for food, which they happily took before admitting that they were going to go, with or without the money.

Bad timing.

“Aish…” He sighed, “Where is she? She only needed to help someone…”

He looked at the clock, and then shrugged, “It could be anything. I’ll give her another hour.”

He reached for the remote and switched on the TV, tuning into another random variety show.

 

 

---

So Young and Jay were eating— No, they were having an eating contest. They ate like their lives depended on it. It was their pride.

Although both were slow eaters, So Young managed to finish one plate a head of Jay, winning.

“There!” So Young exclaimed, pushing the empty plate away from her, “I won; now you have to tell me the owner’s condition.”

“To pay back the $720,” So Young gaped at the large number, And Jay continued with a nervous laugh, “We’ll work for him. Only our Tips count towards our debt. We aren’t paid.”

“You mean your debt,” So Young glared at Jay, “And tips only?! That’s like…not enough, especially when there are slow days, or the fact that some costumers don’t pay tips!”

“That’s what I said!” Jay nods.

So Young sighed, “How are we going to get out of this…?”

Jay slapped her forehead, twice. So Young thought deeply, “Maybe…”

“What?” Jay asked, and then repeated as I didn’t answer, “What?”

“I could ask a friend…” So Young suggested, “But I’ve been a pain to him, this’ll just be…the icing on the cake.”

“Ah, I guess so,” Jay nodded, “I guess we’ll have to try, right?”

“Yeah…”

 

 

---

Junhyung woke up from his nap; it had at least been an hour, maybe an hour and a half. He sighed, and got up from the couch, turning of the TV and switching his keys from the remote on the coffee table.

“It’s been an hour,” He assured himself, “She would have been back by now.”

He walked out the door, locking it behind him, and yawned as he walked down the stairs. It was still fairly bright out, but the sun was close to setting.

“Honestly,” He fumbled with his keys, as he opened his car door, “What could she have been doing?”

He drove out to look for her.