Chapter 21

Reaching You

"Micha?" A male voice calles out snapping her from her daze. She looked around and saw Minwoo, Junjin, Eric and Hyesung staring at her. "Yes?" She asked giving them a small smile. "You were dazed out for a while there. I was beginning to think the smell of dogs was getting to you." Minwoo said. 'That is right.' She thought to herself. Today she was voulenteering at an animal shelter with a few Shinhwa members who decided to stay in Seoul for new years.

The trip was last minute, they called her the night before and asked if she wanted to do a 'good deed'. At first she was wary of the idea but she agreed to it. New Years just past and she wanted to start the year off on a good foot. Andy was busy recording and Dongwan was filming a drama so neither could join. She invited Hyomin and Sunny but one was busy in Japan and the later busy promoting in South Korea. Leaving her alone with the four men. "Are you sleeping well?" Eric asked her.

Micha nodded, giving them a weak smile to reassure them. She couldn't admit to them that since her meeting with her father her mind was off balance. She forgot the ideal her she created for dealing with Shinhwa. "I am going to go see if the owner wants us to do anything else." She said, dropping her spondge on the table. "I will come too." Junjin offered but she declined. "You guys should finish the dogs you are on now. He looks ready to bolt." She pointed out.

Each member looked the animals before them, sighing and getting to work when the dogs started to bark for their attention. Micha took this as her cue to exit when Eric's dog shook suds on Hyesung, causing the vocalist to throw a spondge at Eric. "Mr. Park, Hello?" Micha called out. Walking down the aisle of dog cages. She looked at the dogs, seeing their various sizes, breeds and colors. She stopped before one that struck her as odd. Slowly, she walked towards the cage, peaking her head to get a better look. The puppy was using it's nose to guide it around. It stumbled foreward, spilling its water on itself and bed. "So close." She whispered, smiling at how the puppy shook its now wet fur. "Omo, you are going to trip again." She whispered. And as she foresaw the puppy fell on his bottom.

Not being able to stop herself Micha opened the puppy's cage. "There there." She cooed as it puppy frantically sniffed her before settling down. "See. I won't hurt you." She cooed sitting down herself. She rested the back of her head on the back of some empty cages. "You are scared of everyone aren't you." She whispered puppy. "Trying to stand your own." She glanced up, surprised to see Hyesung standing above her with Mr.Park.

"I didn't mean to intrude your conversation." Hyesung said, causing her to frown. She didn't like the fact someone overheard her talking. "I see you met lil' Peanut." Mr.Park said. Micha rasied a brow then looked at the puppy in her hands. "Peanut?" She asked. The elderly man nodded. "Sweet thing, sad she is almost blind. Could have been scooped up months ago." He said petting the puppy. "Months? This isn't a puppy?" Hyesung asked, surprised at this news. "She is the runt of a litter of shetland sheepdogs. Won't grow too much already. Probably be at her fulliest possible size in a few weeks" Mr. Park explained.

"She seems nice." Micha whispered. Hyesung had grabbed Peanut from her so she could get up. She watched as the puppy reacted the same way to him as it did to her. "Should be time to take them out for a walk." Mr. Park said glancing at clock.

- - - - -

"You adopt could her and should name her Shinhwa." Minwoo joked. "Idiot." Hyesung muttered and told them they should get the dogs that needed to be walked. Micha had explaind to them the puppy she was walking and why she took long. Minwoo choose a large dog, "Don't just pick the dog that you find cute." He laughed at how Eric choose to walk a terrier. "You should pick a manly dog." Junjin added, pointing at the bulldog beside him.

The owner explained the other dogs already been taken for walks so Hyesung just walked between behind group. Mr.Kim gave them instructions to walk around the feild three times. The walk was going well, although Minwoo's dog was pooping more than the rest. "He is just like his walker." Hyesung laughed. "Execpt bigger." Eric joined in. "I don't know what you are joking about. I am still bigger than both of you." Minwoo yelled at them with a smug expression. "There is a girl around you !" Eric shouted back. "You haven't seen me recently!" Hyesung shouted before Eric. Junjin just laughed loudly at them, his dog sniffing his leg. The three men glanced at Micha who raised an eyebrow at them.

"You should be more worried about the other workers taking pictures and giggling." She pointed out and walked ahead of them. Not wanting to be seen with them at the moment. They looked up and waved to the two college females taking their photo. "Peanut, men are a hassle." She told the puppy who responded with a bark, 'I wonder if she understood me.'

Hyesung was the first to catch up with her. "Their dogs got into a fight so I left them behind." He informed her. Micha nodded. Hyesung coughed a few times before she looked at him. "Yes?" She asked. "How are you liking your new idol life?" He asked her. "You guys ask me that every time we meet up." She answered plainly, then turned back to focus on the path. "Thats right" he muttered. "So you are thinking about taking her in?" He asked her. "Peanut? Maybe, I was thinking on it. But she might be better off with someone who can easily love her. That and my life is a bit busy now." She answered. Peanut started to bark to get her attention. Micha looked down and saw she was barking at Hyesung, not her.

"Of course. Another reason is that she seems more affectionate to you than me." She muttered jealous as Hyesung petted the puppy. "She has good tastes so you can't blame her." He smirked when she started to his cheek. "Good girl." He cooed petting her. "Why aren't you like this with Gambo?" Eric asked catching up to them. Minwoo was right behind him with his dog pulling him. "Because I don't like his owner." Hyesung answered making Eric pout. "So you like her owner more than me?" He asked. He was the only one who caught Hyesung's eyes flash to Micha. "Yes I do." Hyesung said. Micha smiled, "I am happy to hear that. Mr.Park seems like a nice person, glad to see it wasn't only me who felt that way." She said oblivious to what happened.

"Come on we have to finish this." Junjin complained. His dog was pulling on his arm trying to break into a run. "What too manily a dog for you?" Eric teased, his terrier barking loudly.

- - - - -

Micha put Peanut in her cage and moved back when some customers came to check out the dogs. "You will enjoy her." Eric said pointing at Peanut's cage. The female of the cuple blushed when she realized she was talking to Shinhwa's Eric. "Or you could get a big dog." Minwoo added trying to advertise the dog he walked. The couple said they were looking for a smaller dog so they asked Mr.Park about Peanut. They were going to adopted her until they read about her defect. "We don't want to have to babysit her. Do you have any other small dogs?" Her boyfriend asked.

Micha sighed as she put hand through the cage for Peanut to seek comfort in. She should have expected as much, when you are labled as 'defective' people don't want the burden of dealing with you. Unless they could change your faults. "That was her thirth rejection. She is going to be put down soon." A female employee whispered to another employee."Why is she going to get put down?" Eric asked them. They explained that a dog can not live there longer than four months as it took up space from dogs that could get adopted. "But she is a good dog." Micha muttered to herself before coming to a decision. 'She is coming with me. If I can have friends and live the way I am, it seems unfair that an innocent puppy can't have someone.'

"Mr.Park!" She called out for the old man when he finished the couple's paper work. "What is she up to?" Junjin asked and followed her. One hour later after Micha gained premission from Andy and the landlord, she was the proud owner of Peanut. "Would you want to change her name?" Mr.Kim asked her. Micha thought about it, 'She is used to being called Peanut. But a new name might give her a better outlook on things..' "Keep her same name." Hyesung called out. Everyone looked at him. "What? Peanut is the name she is used to. It's who she is, why change it to something else?" He said defending the original name. Something in Micha couldn't shake off the thought that he was talking about more than just Peanut's name. "Ok then." She approved. 

Peanut was walked to them on a leash by staff, then handed to Micha. She was given a packet proving the adoption, her shot record and information on her. "She won't become ill anytime soon?" Hyesung asked Mr.Park "Probably lose her sight fully in coming years, worse comes to worse. But other than that she is as healthy as a horse." He explained. Hyesung was the only one paying attention though. Micha and Eric were busy taking pictures with Peanut and Minwoo was signing an autograph. Junjin was telling a female employee a bad joke. "These kids..." Hyesung sighed. He thanked Mr.Kim and called his 'kids' telling them it was time to leave.

They went into Hyesung's car but were rowdy since everyone wanted to get close with Peanut. "Shut up for one minute!" Hyesung shouted, losing patience with them. Minwoo turned back around and faced forward. Eric got an idea and whispered to Micha. "We go to the pet shop? Please. For Peanut?" Micha asked in an agyeo voice, fullfiling Eric's request. Hyesung groaned and said sure. He ignored Eric's laughing and Minwoo praising Micha for handling the situation. "In the battle of Micha vs. Hyesung, the winner is Micha." Junjin cheered, ruffling Micha's hair.