Turning Tables

Nevaeh

Hangeng and Michael made it just in time to see Kangin and a sleeping Leeteuk.

Kangin looked at them and spoke somenly, "When she saw me she cried and kept on saying 'you're alive' but then collapsed in my arms. Look at her wings, she's fighting herself. I guess our son gets his strength from her. I wasn't strong enough to save either of them."

Leeteuk's wings were half white, half black. The colors greatly contrasted, represented the change taking place within her.

"You-you're alive." Hangeng looked him up and down. Their once strong King was reduced to a frail man in a wheelchair, his cheeks sunken in, and sullen eyes.

He bowed immediately. "My king" he said. Kangin watched and quickly wheeled over to stop him, one hand on his wheelchair, the other upon Hangeng's shoulder.. "Please, I am no longer your King. We are not even on equal ground."

"But-"

"-but nothing. I am human. This body is withering away. No one as weak as I shall ever be called King."

Hangeng simply removed Kangin's arm and bowed anyway.

"How can this be? You-you were once very great, brother."

Kangin laughed weakly and lifted his shirt slightly, the phrase "Darkness comes to all" in ragged scars across his chest. "It all happened so fast, Geng. One minute I was showing my place as King to the dark angels, and the next I felt my arms and legs being held down as they used their sharp wings to pierce my skin. I did die. It wasn't until years later that I returned to life. It turns out it was a spell, that they had bargained with a witch to grant her the immortality I once had, in place of killing me. I shouldn't have went in the first place. Had I listened to Teukie, our family wouldn't be this way." He sobbed silently, but quickly wiped his tears.

"What brings you here Michael?" He wheeled back towards Leeteuk sleeping with an oddly peaceful expression on her face.

"Donghae."

He breathed in sharply then exhaled shakily. "I have heard of what has happened to him. What is his condition now?"

"He is human-"

"No. No he cannot be!" Hangeng ran over to him as Kangin grabbed his shoulders harshly. "He cannot be! You promised to care for him as if he were your own!"

"Kangin please."

"I can't! They'll go after him now that he's weak! There will be no one left to guide the remainder of Nevaeh."

"You can!"

"How!?" Kangin shoved him away with every ounce of energy he had. "Like this? A mere human? They'll laugh at me, they will mock me for having ran away. I'm worthless now." He scowled.

Michael pushed Hangeng out of the way to face Kangin. "He is human because of Hyukjae. He sacrificed his life, the same as you did-"

"Do not speak of such words. Who would believe me?" He lifted up his shirt again to prove his point.

"If they see this and then look at what's happened to Leeteuk and Donghae, they will give up fighting."

Michael snarled. "How can you quit!? He only has you! Leeteuk cannot be trusted in this condition."

"What do you mean?"

"I sent him to Nevaeh and erased his memories, he only remembers his parents."

Kangin's eyes grew wide as he looked at Leeteuk. "Us?"

"You've read the Book of Angelus. He could turn dark for good and we will lose against him without a proper leader. So think about it, I'll give you 1 day. Or I'll have to kill him to save us all."

Kangin bit his lower lip and clenched his fists. He didn't have a choice, he couldn't lose them both, not again. He moved closer to caress his wife's face. Whispering softly he asked, "What will I do Teukie? What can I do to save you both when I've already failed the first time?"