Revelation

Nevaeh

When the heart moniter slowly went back to normal, Hyukjae using his mind to talk to Heechul, asked "Um...I'm not entirely sure, but who's Donghae?"

Heechul dropped the water on the floor and stood up, pushing her seat back when her feet got wet.

"You...you don't know who Donghae is? But how did you know to talk to me with your mind!?"

Hyukjae furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't know. Something in my mind told me that Donghae used to tell you to stop trying to read his thoughts. I remember you, Hangeng and even Siwon, but I don't know a Donghae."

Heechul used her shadows to clean up the water. An odd scent filled the air and left Hyukjae covering his nose and mouth.

"Ugh what is that scent!? I didn't know shadows could smell so bad."

"That's not the shadows, it's me."

Hyukjae looked up and instantly gasped. Heechul had black tar droplets falling from her eyes, searing her skin.

"Demons cannot cry. They aren't supposed to, but when we do, tar falls in the place of water and burns."

"Why are you crying? is it because of your nephew?"

"Hyukjae. He was your husband."

"My...husband? So...I'm gay?"

"Gay, biual. Whatever you want to call it doesn't matter! You can't remember your husband!"

Hyukjae started slapping his head with both hands. How could he forget someone he's married to? Someone he's supposed to spend the rest of his life with?

"STOP!" Heechul rushed forward to grab his hands, pulling them back down into his lap.

"Hurting yourself won't work. He's...no longer."

"You keep speaking about him in the past tense. Is...is he dead?"

Heechul sat back down in her chair that was now a few feet away from the bed. She was always one to keep a calm exterior, but when it came to Donghae, he couldn't help but to breakdown.

"He's missing. When we woke up, you had gotten hit by a car. There was blood everywhere, even some blood leading away from the scene and that's when we realized that Donghae had been hit as well. But, when we looked around all we could see was you lying on the floor, blood all over your body, paramedics working on you, and people watching from every angle. We knew then that he had been missing a long time before that. When we asked about the extent of your injuries, the doctor said you weren't hit anywhere on your head. A few broken ribs, broken leg, scratches and bruises everywhere."

Drops of water could be heard through the silence and when Heechul looked up at Hyukjae she saw he was crying. Sighing she knew from what Hangeng had told him all those years, that even though the mind forgets, the heart always remembers.

"Then how come I can't remember if you say I wasn't hit on the head? Wasn't there a lot of blood?"

"It was all Donghae's. He must've protected you when you tried to save him."

"How do you know all of this if you were sleeping?"

"We weren't sleeping. Siwon and I were frozen. Our minds were wide awake, but we couldn't move our bodies. Demons never sleep. It's both a gift and a curse."

Heechul inched towards the edge of her seat to press a button on Hyukjae's bed to lift him up higher. Hyukjae lay their lifelessly. So much had happened, it didn't make any sense to him. His husband, this Donghae character, tried to kill himself? And he had tried to save him? And when he did, Donghae went missing and he was left with a wedding ring on his finger and missing links between them?

His head started hurting. Heechul noticed and pressed a button she knew was for painkillers.

"Take it easy. Your mother should be here soon. She can't remember Donghae either, so it's best if you don't ask."

Heechul was about to walk away when she felt Hyukjae grab her wrist.

"How come I can't remember Donghae? And if he was my husband, why can't my mother remember? If she knew I was gay, she would never visit me. Now you're telling me she's coming here."

Heechul pulled Hyukjae's hand off of his wrist and walked to the door opening it.

"He wiped both of your memories. Chances are, he doesn't remember either."

And he walked out. Hearing Hyukjae's last few thoughts.

'Where are you Donghae?'