Mercy

Nevaeh

"Is my nephew fine, Michael?"

Hangeng gripped the doctor's arm tightly.

"He will make it, but there are a few things you need to know."

Michael pulled Hangeng to sit back down as he explained slowly with every sentence tearing at Hangeng's heart.

At the moment, they were in a disclosed location in Nevaeh where the few surviving Angels were able to rebuild after the war.

"He will survive, but he will become human-"

"But how?" he interrupted.

"-I will get to that later. Right now I need you to listen carefully. Donghae will become human, but at the stake of his memories. Now we can save part of his memory, but a very small part. We need you to choose, if there's anything that you know about his life that would help him to regain his full memory, choose that one."

"A single memory?"

"Yes, and to answer your question, it is because he sacrificed his life for a human, remember the prophecy?"

Hangeng gulped loudly. "The Prophecy? You mean the one about Donghae healing some boy?"

The doctor sighed. "It was fake."

"Fake!?" He yelled. "My nephew went through so much for you to tell me it was fradulent!?"

"Please calm down." The doctor reached out to grab Hangeng who slapped his hand away.

"He's in this condition because all these years he believed there was an actual boy."

"Wasn't there?"

Hangeng froze. His eyes widened as he realized what he meant.

The doctor got up and fixed his coat. "I see you understand me." He placed a hand on Hangeng's shoulder. "Even if it was fake in the beginning, it's real now isn't it? He saved Hyukjae and in turn, saved himself. Sometimes things work out differently than expected at first, but they always work out in the end."

"H-how d-did you know his name?"

The doctor looked at Donghae. "Hyukjae?"

"Y-yeah" he stuttered, suddenly fearful of the man.

The doctor laughed and took of his coat revealing huge bright white wings. "Doesn't Michael ring a bell? Ya know Michael the Archangel?"

He gasped and fell to his knees in shock.

"Sheesh you would think your own family would recognize you."

"B-b-but y-o-ou w-ere d-d-dead!" he blubbered.

"I survived along with the King."

"Impossible!" He shouted. "We saw your bodies! A-and Kangin! Kangin was bruised and scratched everywhere! The-the words on his chest 'darkness comes to all'"

Hangeng moved frantically trying to describe what he saw that day, the tears Leeteuk shed, Heechul's heartbreak and guilt. He was there.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but we're trying to regroup. Kangin has been staying in Riddlers Forest for quite some time recuperating. He's lost the function of his legs and uses a wheelchair, but that's what happens when you're human."

Hangeng got up and walked to the exit. It was all too much for him to take. Donghae without his memories again? Kangin...alive....and...human? The pressure was building up and in that moment he knew which memory to use to save Donghae. It was a longshot, but many lives were at stake, as even if everyone survived they would be unhappy and war would continue.

So before leaving, he told Michael which memory to save.

The memory of his parents.