What I get for my Birthday

My Bride is Cinderella

 

I wonder why I’m worried for her.. He’s not even my type of girl. Sheesh, what am I thinking like this all of a sudden??  Myungsoo messes his hair. He was on the veranda looking up the starry sky, thinking about Jiyeon.

“Hey, brother”, Sungyeol opened his door and greeted him. “Aren’t you supposed to sleep? Exams tomorrow”, he grabbed a magazine and jumped to Myungsoo’s couch.

“Well, I’m going to..”, he did not even look at him. Sungyeol came over the table to get some snacks.

“So, how is dad’s business??”, he asked him while munching the popcorns in his hand. Myungsoo sighed, ”It’s devastating, someone called lately. And I’ve got some work to do”

“Dad always liked you”, he shooked his head to Sungyeol. “And even I’m older than you, he chooses you very often”, “It’s not like that, maybe I just remind him of—“

“Of what? Of his accomplishments?? Of his gentleness?? I know that you are HIS son.. and not me”

He walked slowly to Sungyeol. “What do you mean?”, he asked, surprised of what he just said.

 

And from there he said that from the very beginning, he knew that he was not part of the Kim’s. When he was a little kid, everyday he hears when his mom and his biological father fight often about his mom’s affair with Myungsoo’s dad and they are madly inlove with each other, and that his mom can’t get enough of it and put him in jail. Soon, his mom married Myungsoo’s dad and they moved. But one day, when Sungyeol’s biological father had the chance to get out of jail, he shoot his mom and so, his father met another girl and then Myungsoo was born.

“I don’t know why am I telling you this.. but you have to know”, Sungyeol ended the story quite short.

“So, you kept on hiding this after all these years..??”, he cannot imagine Sungyeol kept this secret for so long. He thought that he is  always been part of the Kim’s although he sees that he is quiet very often.

“I wanted to make revenge”, Sungyeol’s voice was a bit scary, “but then again, he’s my dad after all. He adopted me, but I don’t like to change my last name, it was only what my mom left me”

 

---

 

The next day, on exams day, Myungsoo can’t help but think of what Sungyeol said the night before. Even in Sungyeol’s bad character outside, he still has a warm side inside. But he placed a good focus on his test paper and leaved the room after he answered it.

“Do you think that all things must have good endings?”, he asked his friend Dongwoo while they were walking in the hallway. Dongwoo wondered, “Yes. And even bad stories must have good endings too, you know.. It’s like in the fairytales”.

“Why? Are you aspiring to be a writer someday??”, Dongwoo laughs all of a sudden. And Myungsoo laughs too. “It’s not like that!”, he shoves him away. “But what get into you that you ask questions so randomly??”, Dongwoo asked with a  serious face.

“It’s just.. I’m like the one who doesn’t know the secrets in my family”, Dongwoo is really a bubbly person but he knows when he should shut up and listen to his friend is especially in times like this.

 

---

A few months later…

 

“Suzy! Where are you taking me??”, Suzy uncovers Jiyeon’s eyes with her hand. All she can see is a store, it was full of shoes and bags and wonderful dresses. “Take all you want”, Suzy insisted. It was Jiyeon’s birthday and now, her best friend wants to surprise her. “But.. but, I cannot take all this”, Jiyeon sobbed.

“Oh, you little girl. It’s your birthday!! I woudn’t allow myself to have nothing as a present for you”, she wipes off the tears in Jiyeon’s face. “But you are always like this and you’re too kind.. and—“,

“Here,” she grabs Jiyeon’s hand and takes her to the dressing room.

 

After they shopped for a little while, Jiyeon thanks her for all the clothes, shoes and bags. Suzy doesn’t need to pay the bill because it was their mall. Suzy’s personal assistant took all the shopping bags and opened the car door. “Look, look at you”, she points out at Jiyeon’s new pink dress. “you look beautiful”

 “Really?”, Jiyeon unimpressed. She was awkward having clothes from a friend. But she atleast smiles at her.

“You’re gorgeous”, she pulls her dress to her knees. It was somehow short. “No, Don’t pull it. It might ruin the dress”, but she was really awkward.

 

They passed by Suzy’s house, “Where are we going?”, Jiyeon asks her.

“You’ll see..”

 

---

 

It was getting dark but they still continued to go to the Kim’s.

“Annyeong haseyo!”, Suzy greeted Myungsoo who is standing next to the door.

“I brought my friend”, they both looks at Jiyeon. “Wow, that’s so thoughtful of you”, Suzy handed him  a nicely wrapped gift. A gift? A gift for what?? , Jiyeon was curious.

“Get inside, it’s cold”, Myungsoo smiled at the two.

“Wow! Your house is too full of stuffs. Are you moving?”, Suzy was wandering the living room.

“No, they are just preparing for dad’s homecoming”

“Mr. Kim??”, “Yes, he is coming home next week”, Sungyeol replied.

“Ah. I see.. So, what’s for dinner??”, she is just too amazed by the dining table.

 

Sungyeol just grabbed the chair for Jiyeon. “Oh, thank you”, she pulls off her dress again.

“You look really cute”, Sungyeol whispered to her ear. Myungsoo kept silent, Suzy’s eyes are locked on the two. “Oh, well, might have some of the noodles!”, Suzy breaks the awkwardness.

“Here,”, Jiyeon offers her a hand. “No, I’ll take care of it”, she stares at Jiyeon’s eyes terribly. And she just continued to stay still. “Are you okay?”, Sungyeol asks her.

“Yeah, yeah.. Uhmm”, she grabs the teapot to get some tea. But uh-oh, it was too hot and dropped it.

Jiyeon screamed in pain. Myungsoo called for the maids to get some ice to cool off Jiyeon’s hands. But Suzy stands up and insisted to walk her to the kitchen, grabbing Jiyeon’s hands. “You’d better be careful..”, she whispered while holding Jiyeon’s hand more tightly. “O-Ouch!”, she continued to be in pain. She didn’t know why Suzy is like this, is she some kind of bipolar?? , Jiyeon thought for awhile.

 

After dinner, they just did all the talking about Mr. Kim’s business.

“Now, open my gift! Open my gift!”, Myungsoo was a bit shy opening gifts. It was his birthday too after all. “Gee, thanks for the watch Suzy-Ah!”, it suits him. “Nah, no problem. It is Jiyeon’s birthday too!”, Suzy put her hands on Jiyeon’s shoulders. EH?!? We have the same birthday??

Myungsoo took a look at her and smiled. Jiyeon blushed a little and covered her cheek, but smiled too.

 “Happy Birthday!”, Myungsoo greeted her.

“Hehe, Happy Birthday too!”, she replied.

“Will you excuse me”, Sungyeol stepped out of the room.

 

The crowd was quiet again. “What’s up with him??”, Suzy wondered and follows Sungyeol.

Myungsoo and Jiyeon is left in the living room. “So, how’d you spend your birthday??”, Jiyeon started the chat. “Well.. It would have been happier if dad was here”, he sighed and took off the watch Suzy gave him.

“But he’s going home soon, right??”, she wants him to feel better. “Y-Yeah, and so it’s a big mess”

“A big mess??”, Jiyeon forgets about the hospital incident but remembers it all of a sudden.

“I made you my bride, and now.. We have to take an action”, his eyes were a bit concerned about her.

What?? What?!?! Is this for real??

“Well, if you back out it might make my dad more upset”, he looked down.

“No, No. No!”, sheesh, why is my mouth saying this words…. She covers . Unsure if she said the right thing.

“And so, ”, Myungsoo gets a paper and writes something on it. “this is the deal. You have to be my bride for 3 months, were going to be married and after all that. We’re going to have a divorce”, he looks at her. Jiyeon, stoned, she didn’t get what Myungsoo said. She looks at the paper.

You know, you’re too cute. I like you. I don’t want to end up like this, but if this marriage is going for a good cause then, guess it will be fine..

“Okay then, let’s make it real!”, she was so amazed and so energetic. He suddenly looks at her.

“No, I mean.. let’s make it look real!”, Jiyeon corrects her sentence. Myungsoo nodded and laughed at her. “I promise I will get your café back”, she just smiled reluctantly at him.