Chapter 9

Force of Attraction
Please log in to read the full chapter

Titles. Labels. Names. Nicknames. Aliases. 

We have all have them, some people are proud to be addressed by them, others not so much. 

Some are given to us by the people we love, some by the people we hate. And the thing is, once it's been established that we identify ourselves that way, everything just sticks. 

Some people get used to them, while some people want them to change. 

Throughout my entire life, up until this point that is, I've always been labeled as a musical genius. 

I've even been called a person with a beautiful soul. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

And I can't forget the name Four-Eyed Weirdo from middle school. Kids can be such brutal little br*ts. 

Today I saw how having a title affects someone else, there are countless expectations to live up to, and there's also the pressure of having such a title. 

Why do people have to put labels on things anyway? 

I place the lyrics sheet down on the sound board and sigh heavily as I try to process what I just read. I look up at him.

I'm really looking at him. 

He's sitting in front of me, his leg is bouncing rapidly and he's biting his fingernail, "your leg bouncing is a bit distracting."

He stops immediately, "sorry sunbae," he sighs then runs his palms over his thighs. 

Why is he so agitated?

"Are you worried about your song?" he nods his head, "why?" 

He sighs with a one shoulder shrug, "I keep wondering if people will like it," I twist the pencil in my hand and stare at him. 

"What if they don't like it? What if every one of your fans suddenly decide that they won't love you anymore because they hate your song?" he remains silent, "if you have such deep doubts prior to recording then you won't feel confident about your song, and if you're not confident in what you're doing then you'll find yourself in a major sh*tstorm. Is that what you want?" 

He quickly shakes his head, "Taehyung-ah was right about you," I raise my eyebrows at him, "he said you're a bit rough around the edges, but you mean well." 

That little weirdo. 

I lean forward, "can I ask you something?" he gives me a look of uncertainty, "aside from being a vocalist, what role do you play in your group?" 

God d*mn it Mi Na, why do you always push people's buttons? 

"The visual I guess? I'm known for that."

I nod my head at him, "do you like that label? Why can't you just be Seok Jin the vocalist? Just by looking at you I can already tell that you're handsome, no need for official labels."

He blushes a bit then clears his throat, "thank you, for saying that."

I shrug my shoulders then tilt my head, "how does that make you feel? When more emphasis is being placed on you as a visual and less on your image as a talented vocalist?" 

"Um..." he trails off a bit. 

You know, maybe you should change your career path and study psychology. You have a knack for asking uncomfortable questions. 

I seriously need to turn off my subconscious. 

"...well, it doesn't bother me much, I'm used to it." 

I stand up and signal for him to follow me into the booth, I position him at the microphone and give him the headphones. I lift the lyrics sheet and start to read.

"Maybe I, I can never fly, like those flower petals there, wings, like other things are impossible, maybe I, I can't touch the sky, but even so I want to stretch out my ha

Please log in to read the full chapter