Chapter 49

Force of Attraction
Please log in to read the full chapter

Detective Kang's POV

My leg's bouncing, for the entire three hours and a few minutes, my leg has been bouncing. I'm satisfied because we've finally found the bastard, but I'm restless because he's not in cuffs just yet.

It wasn't much of a challenge to find out every single detail of Woo In Cheon's life; his parents operated a small tour guide company in Taebaek until they both died in a tragic car accident. Woo In Cheon was young at the time, so he was in the care of some distant cousins, who had no access to the money left to him by his parents, and as a result, he was a victim of abuse.

It was such abuse that led to his psychological problems. 

I keep thinking that all of this could be avoided, if those who lived in the same neighborhood with Woo In Cheon's cousins had tried to put a stop to his blatant abuse, then maybe he wouldn't be this far gone. On the drive here, I studied his psychological evaluation from when tried to enter the military, the doctor is a colleague of mine from school so it was no hassle in getting such classified documents. 

Woo In Cheon's mind is far broken beyond any repair, and that's my medical opinion. I just hope he hasn't done any form of damage to Choi Mi Na, because I don't care if he's sick, I'll give him a well deserved beating of my own. 

"They're stopping." 

Tae Oh's voice breaks my reverie. The local police decided to lend a hand with the location of Woo In Cheon's family cabin.

I personally don't like newcomers to a case as sensitive as this one, but they know the area best so I didn't protest. Tae Oh and I exited the car along with the other officers, "what's the matter?" 

The short, chubby policeman looks at me with a sigh, "it's better if we walk the rest of the journey. The mountain roads will take another hour, but there's a shortcut that will take less time." 

I raise my eyebrows at him, "under twenty minutes?" he nods his head at me and I sigh in relief. 

A distant voice comes over his car radio and he excuses himself to answer, I turn my attention to the bushy area and sigh once more. I'm so close to finding Choi Mi Na and wrapping up this case that I can almost taste the relief on the tip of my tongue. 

The officer frantically runs over to Tae Oh and I, "a call just came in to the station. The local hospital just called in a Jane Doe, she fits the description of Choi Mi Na." 

Tae Oh and I share surprised looks, "did they say who she came in with?" My partner asks quickly.

"A local fish farmer found her on the road." 

I run my fingers through my hair in frustration, "Woo In Cheon's still out there somewhere." 

I feel like hitting something, or someone. 

"Okay. Seo Joon-ah, let's split up. You go with one of the officers to the hospital to verify her identity, I'll go with the others in search of Woo In Cheon." 

I look at him with uncertainty in my eyes, "are you sure?"

He nods his head at me, "just go. We'll be fine."

I pat his shoulder before parting ways with one of the local officers. 

                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I arrived at the local hospital, I was immediately introduced to the doctor who looked after Choi Mi Na, well, the alleged Choi Mi Na, I haven

Please log in to read the full chapter