Chapter 6

Force of Attraction
Please log in to read the full chapter

In the society which I'm a part of, respect plays an important part in the definition of who we are as a people. One learns from an early age to respect their elders and their superiors; this is a given, there's no need to question why you must respect someone, it's something that should be done. 

But what about mutual respect? Is the notion of showing respect a cycle in and of itself? 

It should be one of the easiest things human beings should know how to do, I respect you so you should respect me in return. It's that easy right?

Not really. There's something called personality that always comes into play. You could be good at what you do, you could be helpful and kind; but there will always be that one person who will never like you, and because of that you'll never get the respect you probably deserve. 

When I was at YG, and even at school too, the term sunbae was used to address me a lot, and to be honest I didn't like it. Did they truly respect me for the work I've done? Or is the act of calling me sunbae is as a result of what was drilled into us from an early age?

Respect your elders. Respect your superiors. 

When will I ever hear the words I respect you because I think you're really talented? Or I respect you because of all the hard work you put in?

"I think it's a bad idea. You said you didn't sign a contract right? You can always drop out." 

"Well I think it's a great idea. Does this entertainment company have girl groups too?"

While it was hard for me to make friends when I first started university, I did manage to make the acquaintance of two, old, yet somewhat immature males in the second semester of my first year. It makes sense that persons with similar interests and beliefs form a lifelong and peaceful friendship with each other. 

Il Suk, Chan and I are a totally different story. We initially shared a mutual dislike for each other, but when we realized how the strength in our dislike for others outweighed that of our own, we decided to become friends on one drunken night after a year group get-together. 

Who says alcohol doesn't have benefits?

Our interests are also different, we can never wholeheartedly agree on anything. From the outside it looks like a totally dysfunctional friendship, but it works well enough for us. 

Il Suk is in the humanities program and Chan's majoring in business; myself in both composing and playing the cello. Even our choice in studies do not gel well, those three departments are always having feuds over some seriously dumb sh*t.

"Is this the place?" Chan rolls down his window as we pull up at the Big Hit building. 

I  my seatbelt, "don't judge, they're moving offices soon." 

He exits the car as I open the passenger door and head towards the trunk of the car where Il Suk placed my cello after losing the front seat to me. 

He's such a diva sometimes.

I lean on the passenger door, "if you would take your face out of your phone you would know that we're here."

He makes an annoying sound before responding to me, "I don't fee like riding shotgun anymore. Chan should play chauffeur today so I know how it feels like to be driven around."

I roll my eyes at him then walk off, Chan hand me my cello case with a worried look plastered on his face. "You can still get in the car and turn around."

I shake my head, "you're worrying over nothing. Not only am I keeping up with my studies and orchestra practi

Please log in to read the full chapter