Chapter 47

Force of Attraction
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taebaek, Gangwon Province

"Jin Woo appa!"

I roll my shoulders backwards at the sound of my wife's voice. I rub my palms together as I try to fight the sudden biting cold, "why do you have to drive all the way to Seoul? Get one of the farm hands to do it instead." 

I sigh as I turn to face her, I smile as my eyes meet those of my wife of thirty years, "I haven't been to the city in weeks, and I told you that I'm meeting some friends there. Why? Do you think I'll go and never return?" 

She gives me a light slap on the arm at my small quip, "whatever. You and your army buddies can do your two days and one night trip all you want, but just make sure you deliver the fish to the hotels."

I nod my head at her with a smile, "alright, alright. I won't drink too much," I place a soft kiss on her cheek then get in the truck. 

With a wave and a honk of the horn, I drive towards the gate which secures our large fish farm. My wife and I operate a fish farm here in Taebaek, even though we have much competitors in this market we're able to profit from our contracts with major hotels in Seoul and a few supermarkets here and there. 

I normally don't make the deliveries, but when I woke up this morning, a sudden feeling washed over me, so with no valid reason I gave the delivery men the day off and decided to drive down to Seoul myself. I can't place the feeling, so I think it has to do with old age.

I fumble with the knob on the radio, trying to find a suitable radio station with even more suitable songs. I can't seem to relate to the songs nowadays, I guess I'm really old.

I take my eyes off the road for a brief second, "ahh, why is it so hard to find one good radio-"

By the time my eyes return to the roadway, my instincts immediately take over as I dangerously swerve to the right, I quickly hit the break as I gain control of the truck. I clutch my chest as I breathe heavily, with a racing heart and rushed movements I unfasten the seatbelt and exit the truck. 

Her trembling figure is the first thing I notice, her wild eyes move back and forth as she keeps looking around her surroundings. I take a step closer to her but she steps backwards as she notices me.

I look at her pitiful appearance with deep sorrow; her thick hair is matted and knotted in clumps at the ends, her face is a bit unrecognizable due to the heavy bruising by her eyes and lips, I don't know what to do in a situation like this. It's obvious that she's afraid, and I can only guess the worse, it's nothing but mountains out here, so where exactly did she come from?

I look at the object in her arms then smile softly, "is that your cello?" she clutches the instrument to her chest protectively, "what's your name?" 

I catch on to the small muscle movement in her face, she's in pain, that much I can tell. My eyes quickly do another once over of her body, and that's when I realize the prominent streak. 

"Bl-blood. You're bleeding." 

She looks downwards but don't react to the streak of blood rushing down her legs, and with a hoarse voice she finally whispers a plea. 

"Save me." 

Her cello is the first thing that hits the ground as her eyes roll back, as quickly as I could, I move forward to

Please log in to read the full chapter