16 years old me

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

Areum sat on the bench by herself, looking people passing by. Sehun told her to stay put while he go get the food. She was busy tapping her toes on the ground when two high school couple caught her gaze.

16 years old me..

I was alone in my house when I received a call from Kai telling me that he’s here at the lobby. Kris will return next morning so he wouldn’t know that I went out late. He worked at night, I never bother asking him what kind of work did he do as people at school spread rumor that they saw my handsome brother going in and out of the hotel. I have no say anyway in what Kris was doing, I couldn’t.

I put on my black hoodie over my white tank and blue-faded jeans. Kai really was in the lobby playing with his cellphone, he smiled when I approached him. I gave him a slight hug, before he peck my cheek.

“Come on let’s go have some fun” he wrapped his arm around my waist guiding me to his red Ferrari. His parents never mind how he’s living his life as long as he’s happy and tried to keep himself healthy. One of the signs that you’re dying is, people let you do whatever you want. He said.

We arrived at the night market, Kai held my hand, being a protective boyfriend he is, he didn’t like it when some of the eyes were on me. He pull my hoodie up to cover my head.

“Hey!”

“I just can’t help it, you’re too beautiful not to notice”

I lightly slapped his chest, sticking my tongue out at him. “You’re just being overdramatic”

“It’s the truth baby”

“I told you to drop that stupid nickname right?” Kai is the king of being cheesy. It’s just him, it can’t be help I guess. He ignored me walking to a food stall.

“Let’s eat something, one bottle of Soju and 2 jjangmyeon”

“Are you mad?!” I whispered at him. “We’re minors”

“They didn’t know that”

“and you’re sick idiot!” I gave him the menacing glare before he ignored me the second time and proceed with his order. The woman might not think we’re underage after all, Kai with his blonde locks totally not for students and me, I just look old, or mature for a 16 years old. We took a seat at the corner.

He grinned while pouring the clear liquid into a small cup. “Bottoms up”

“I’m not drinking” I crossed my arms, looking away. “I hate the smell and people who get drunk become nasty, the puke everywhere and that’s disgusting. Don’t forget that some of them even act like a dog”

Kai rolled his eyes, annoyed with my nags. Before I could stop him, he drunk all of the alcohol. His face turned red and he was coughing, not getting used to it.

“Eeww, that’s a sharp pain. I don’t want it anymore”

“Told you” I took the bottle away and offered it to the other table where a guy was sitting alone.

Kai wiped his tongue with a Kleenex, trying to get rid of the taste. I laughed at him, not bothering to help. He didn’t like it, and I’m gretful for that cause I don’t plan to see him die because of the alcohol after struggling for years to stay breathing.

“Let’s just eat and go home” I handed him the chopsticks, watching how red his skin turned into and his forehead was covered in sweat. “Are you ok?”

Kai forced a smile on his face, fanning himself. He could feel his chest tightened and his heart beating faster. He tried to ignore it, not to make her worried. Areum never saw his attacks before so he didn’t plan to ever show her his weak side, ever.

“I’m just hot, probably drunk”

“Stop joking” I gave him a glass of cold water when he started coughing badly, his palm on his chest. I was panicked when he tried to stand up on his feet but ended up collapsing on the ground.

“Kai!” I hurried to his side, shaking his body. He was struggling to breathe, rolling on his side. His face started to lose colour, his mouth wide open gasping for air.

Some of the people called 119, I felt my tears falling down my cheeks uncontrollably. I felt useless, he was dying, watching it was my biggest fear. I never imagine him having his attack with me by his side, kneeling, crying in helplessness.

I tried to give him a CPR with the training that I learned at school but it’s not helping him, his eyes were wide opened. His body was shaking furiously, I heard him grunting in pain to breathe.

“You’ll be ok, stay awake for me, breathe slowly” He grabbed my hand, trying to find some comfort. Soon the ambulance came to take him away, I kept my eyes on him when they put a breathing mask on him.

“What happened?” asked one of the paramedics.

“H-He drank some alcohol then, then he can’t-“I took in a deep breath to get back to my senses. “He has a serious cardiovascular disease, I beg you please save him”

“We’re trying our best miss”

 

I was extremely sleepy when I saw his parents coming towards me. His elegant mother came in her sleeping wear, but she had her fur coat on to hide the pajama. His father was dozing off while we’re waiting for him. The air was so tense, none of us said anything until Mrs.Kim broke the silence.

“Why did he take in the alcohol?”

I wiped the dried tears on my face, hoping to at least look decent. “He was curious , I tried to stop him but, h-he’s just stubborn”.

“Typical Kai, why can’t he be more aware that he is sick!?” She was mad, and sad at the same time. She’s his mother anyway, taking care of a rock-headed, sick teenage son is not easy.

“Because, he didn’t want to feel sick. He tried to be normal”

“I don’t know Areum-ah. I just can’t stop taking care of him or I’ll die. He’s my lifeline”

And what she said at that time was the truth. Kai is the only reason why she’s still putting up with Mr.Kim who’s famous for being a womanizer. Kai needed money for his treatment and Mrs.Kim could not afford it if it’s not for Mr.Kim. Somehow, I felt bad for taking her precious son away but soon… both of us lose him, right?

“ I have a favor to ask you”

“What is it?”

“Convince him to move away from here, or quit school. He can’t be like any of you, he can’t afford to go to school every day. I want him to focus on his treatment first, then we’ll try to hire a personal tutor or what not. Please talk to him”

I couldn’t turn her down when her eyes were pleading for my help. I nodded, not really getting what I just did and it broke my heart to pieces.

 

Present

Sehun walked really fast to where he left his wife waiting only to find it the bench empty.

“Areum-ah!” He turned around hoping to catch a sight of his precious one but another figure caught his eyes, A tall lean man, with blond locks, he has seen him before... "Kai" his lips gone dried.

_____________

Comments their subbies I'm reading and waiting for everyone one of you to step out your lil shell.

Motivate me please, juseyo!!!^^