Doom

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

One more chapter to go, sorry to keep you waiting. Thank you for the never ending interest in my ff, I am deeply sorry to keep you waiting

Baekhyun and Chanyeol secretly went to visit Kai’s chauffer, the only one who was in the car with him . He was lucky to have not suffer from serious injuries as Sehun’s car hit directly on the back seat of Kai’s Mercedes, he had concussion and some scrapes from broken pieces of the windows. The two drove all the way to the outskirts of town, 2 hours from Seoul to the driver’s hometown.

He didn’t attend Kai’s funeral as he blamed himself for his passing, he couldn’t bear to face Mrs. Kim . However, the police are convinced that there’s nothing he could do. He decided to resign and retreat to leave with his parents.

Baekhyun knocked on the door while Chanyeol waited beside him. They were greeted by an old lady probably in her late 70s.

“Hi, I’m Byun Baekhyun and this is Park Chanyeol. We are here to see Pyo Taejin, is he home?”

“I’m his mother and may I know who both of you are?” She’s hesitant, it’s clear on her face she’s displeased by the two strangers dressed in suits. Chanyeol insisted they wear something casual but Baekhyun being Baekhyun the diva. Casual is out of context.

Chanyeol handed her his name card. “I’m Oh Sehun’s family attorney.”

“If you’re thinking of paying my son to give false statements, you can go home!”

“No, Mrs. Pyo. We just need to know what your son saw on the day of the accident. We are here to know his insights.” Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol to the side. This woman is paranoid and putting a tall giant with big doe eyes is intimidating.

“He gave his statements to the police officer, you can go check them there.” She was about to shut the door when Baekhyun stopped her, his hand on the door pushing it back.

“We believe our friend Sehun is innocent and it’s not a planned murder like what it is claimed to be. He’s in the hospital, handcuffed to his bed for the crime he’d not commit. He has a pregnant wife who may not have him by her side in the next few days. He’s depressed and has been going on multiple breakdowns due to this. I beg you please let us talk to your son. We came in peace.” He was pleading, Baekhyun tried so hard to stay strong but he couldn’t hold it back anymore. He’s scared and unsure if this case will be in their favor.

Chanyeol put a hand on the other’s small shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. He knew it’s taking a toll on all of them. This is a matter of life or death to Sehun.

“If you lie to me and try to turn my son into a liar, I’ll call the police. I swear.” She stepped aside, welcoming the two in her house. Baekhyun took a seat on the sofa with Chanyeol by his side.

It’s disturbing him, who came here before them? Why is she so cautious? False statements? Chanyeol leaned back, massaging his temple. “Why are you so tense up?”

“Sshh! You heard what his mother said, false statements? Do you think Mrs. Kim has something to do with this?” He lowered his voice, aware that Mrs. Pyo might hear their conversation.

“I don’t know Baek, but honestly I think so too.”

 

Mrs. Oh watched as Sehun feed himself a bowl of abalone porridge, she made it for him to cheer him up and yes he has this huge smile on his face when he saw it. Her husband is right, she shouldn’t be dwelling in sadness but to be strong for him. She couldn’t sleep so she made him porridge early in the morning.

“Is it good?” She caressed his face, his skin cold against hers.

He nodded smiling like a kid. “You’re the best cook ever!”

“Finish it, I’ll make more tomorrow.” Sehun is her only child , she could never imagine having him on the hospital bed eating with one of his hand handcuffed to the bed. “Where’s Areum? I haven’t seen her around.”

“She’s taking Nara to Kai’s mom.”

“That witch!”

“Omma, I know you’re upset but she’s still Nara’s grandma.”

“I hate that woman”

Sehun held his mother’s hand, rubbing circles on her palm with his thumb to comfort her. His mother rarely gets mad, she’s the most elegant woman he’s ever known in his life or maybe he’s bias. “She’ll be here soon I think, I heard her walking out with Kris but I was too tired to open my eyes.”

“Your father is working hard to get you out of this. Chanyeol and Baekhyun too, they love you. You have us sweetie, we’ll fight this and that witch can go to hell.” It’s much scarier to see his mother saying that with a straight face while drinking a cup of coffee.

“I just found out that Areum’s pregnant, I don’t know if I have any idea on how to be one” he let out a sigh, taking another spoonful of porridge.

“The fact that you’re worrying about that, you’re already fit to be one. Your father and I wasn’t ready either, you just decided to come into our life and we love you so much.”

“I want to be free Omma, I need to take care of my family. I’m gonna be a father” he shook his head in disbelief, smiling at the same time. His smile warms her heart, it has been long since she sees him this peaceful. Her son is back to be her little ray of sunshine.

Mrs. Oh heard her cellphone’s ringing, she tried to brush it off but it kept on ringing waking her up from her reverie.

“Answer it Omma, it might be Appa. Maybe he has updates for us.”

She patted his thigh then walked over to the other side of the room where she put her handbag on a sofa.

‘Areum’s Mom’

“Hello”

“Are you with Sehun?”

“Yes, I’m at the hospital”

“Areum” her voice shaking and that was enough to drain all the blood from Mrs. Oh’s face.

“Yes?”

“She’s in the OR, 2nd floor”

“I’ll be right there”

 

“Mama~ Mama~” called Nara snuggling into Kris’ arms, he rested his chin on top of her head. He managed to calm her down after persuading her that Areum will be fine and she will meet her after she took her afternoon nap.

“Kris!”

Amber came running towards him, she clearly just woke up. She had her pink pyjama pants with a band hoodie, no coat on. It’s chilly outside. He called her after they wheeled Areum into the OR. He signed the papers with Nara clinging on his leg. This poor child.

“She-She hurt her Amber… I wasn’t there and I-“

“Kris it’s not your fault, you need to calm down.” She rubbed his back to comfort him, he leaned against her which he had never done before. This took her by surprise, but it’s a pleasant one. This is the acknowledgment that she yearns for, for him to finally see her as an accomplice rather than threat.

They stay that way for some time, somehow it feels much longer for Amber. She always long for siblings, especially a brother who can protect her. She envies Areum when she see how Kris’ took care of her. He’s gentle around Areum, his biological sister but, he’s so cold towards her.

 

"Sehun... I want Sehun" Areum pleaded with tears rolling down her flushed cheeks, she asked for him the moment she opened her eyes. She got lucky. She only had to receive a few stitches on her scalp and a blood transfusion. Apparently, Areum has anemia and she's not gaining much weight which is serious for a pregnant lady. 

Kris held her hand tight, contemplating if he's even allowed to get the other to see his wife. He's under police supervision & in no way able to go outside his own room. "Ssshh.. calm down okay. We'll go to see him tomorrow."

"Now, I want to see him now!" 

"Areum you don't want them to give you another injection, it'll be bad for the baby. Think about your child." He didn't mean to turn her down but it's the reality. Areum muffled down her sobs, turning her back to her brother." I'm willing to change my spot with Sehun if I could but that's not how it works. His lawyers are working on this case as we speak , if he's not guilty-"

"If?" she scoffed pulling the cover over her face. "You don't think it's an accident?"

"I don't know"

"You're just like everyone else. Leave!" She screamed at him, Kris didn't want to spark an argument. He stepped out of her room facing his family and Sehun's mother. They're relieved that she's doing well physically, her mental health is the main concern. Kris was going to tell Areum about Mrs.Kim being arressted for harrassment. However, she's in no way fit to give a statement using her previous medical records and cctv evidence. Kai's mother won't be able to get away.

"I'm going to see Mrs. Kim"

"Do you want Mama to come with you?"

Kris shook his head, kneeling down to peck Nara's cheek. "Stay with Amber ok, I'll be right back."

 

Chanyeol accompanied by Mrs. Kim's lawyer as the three wait for the woman to come into the room. The news shocked him while he was still trying to convince Kai's former driver to answer his questions. She appeared with a blank look on her wrinkly face with her hands cuffed. 

They stood to greet her out of respect for the elder, she sat down in silence. Leaning back against the chair. 

"Mrs. Kim , I'm Park Chanyeol, Sehun's lawyer."

"I know who you are, why are you here?"

Chanyeol reached for the brown envelope from his briefcase, pushing it towards her. "On the day of the accident, your son was getting his tailored suits." That perked her interest, she took the papers out looking at the bloodied receipt of a famous men's tailor in Gangnam. Her eyes glistened with tears, holding the piece of paper to her chest. "There are two suits, he made another one for Sehun."

"And that bastard kill him!"

"Look more into the envelope please."

She did as he said to find printed pictures of Sehun and Kai in the store, both standing up while looking at each other getting their body measured. Another one of the two standing side by side with their arms on each other's shoulder, smiling towards the camera. 

"They're getting suits for Nara's wedding in the future, Kai insisted since he thought he wouldn't be able to later on as his health started deteriorating. He personally contacted Sehun and as you can see how close they have become. " Chanyeol took another paper from the envelope. "Sehun paid for it. These two have been friends without us knowing. Here's a list of Sehun's card, spent on all the times he went out with your late son. Kai asked his driver to take their pictures for him for his daughter."

He cleared his throat, hesitating to take out a black notebook he received from Mr. Pyo. "Here's your son's last journal, Pyo Taejin has been keeping it for him."

She opened the first page to a picture of Kai and baby Nara in his arms. Memories started to flood in her mind, all the good times they had when her son was still alive. She traced his handwriting on the first page.

'To Kim Nara, my precious daughter'

"The photos you saw was kept inside it, can you please look at the last page." She paused for a bit, wiping away the tears from her eyes. The room was silent except for the sound of her soft cries, Chanyeol felt a tugged in his heart looking at her so broken. "I believe you are smart enough to understand. Nara can't lose another father and you can be in jail for blackmailing Mr.Pyo. You know what to do. My work is done here and.. Areum doesn't want to press charges on you. You are set free. Thank you." He collected the evidence again, holding his palm out for the receipt and pictures in her grasp. She returned it back to him with her gaze fixed on the journal. Chanyeol closed it , putting it back inside his briefcase.

'Nara-ah, Papa wants Sehun to take my place. He's a great man and I know he will love you as much as I do if not more. Papa will be watching you from above. Take care of grandma and tells her Papa is sorry'

She felt suffocated from the news she received and the pictures, the journal. Kai has been trying to reach out for her yet she was so absorbed in hatred to care about his feelings and her grand daughter. His son opted to spend his future plannings with Sehun, a guy she claims to be the one behind his death. The two has gotten closer quietly. 

"Do you want to come with me to the shop?"

"I'm busy Kai"

 

"Do you think Nara will look cute in this? We should find another one for Areum to match."

"Don't say that 's name in this household"

How can he even be close to her when all she did was scolding him and forcing him to do things he didn't want to do. She thought all her actions were protecting him when it ruined him instead. She took Areum from him, ripped her grand daughter from her mother, pushed Areum into suicide and all of it brings nothing but pain to everyone but herself. She was delusional and it's too late now that she realised it. 

Kai had been staying by her side to keep her company, he apologised to her for her own wrongdoings. 

Till his last breath.

Her son didn't know he's innocent.

He thought he let her down when it was her who did that to him.

"I'm sorry Kai, Omma is sorry. Omma is wrong." She kept chanting her apology to the air, sobbing harder before losing her conscience.