Adapting

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

Kai prepared Nara’s bag pack for her sleep over at Areum’s. The little girl was all jumpy about meeting her mother, she woke up early and wore a light pink dress with a black leather jacket. Kai usually choose her wardrobe but not on the weekend. She wants to look adorable in front of her mother.

“I thought you hate me braiding your hair last time?” asked Kai while his hands swiftly moving to tie his daughter’s straight black hair.

“But not this time” she chuckled, drinking her orange juice. “Papa, will you join us? Uncle Sehun won’t be around anyway.”

When Sehun was away, Kai and Areum often spend the weekend with Nara together. Kris didn’t like the idea at all but he gave in because his niece seemed to be all smiles with both of her parents together. Nara will be anxious to go home whenever she stays longer than she should be , saying that her father will be lonely.

Kai knew more not to be around Areum a lot. She’s someone else’s wife and him being around her often will not be a help for him to forget the past and will only hurt him more.

“Nope, I have some work to do. Be good ok?”

Nara peck his cheek. “Ok”

 

It was dead quiet in the two storey house, only the sound of the washing machine working filled the laundry room. Areum picked up a basket to fill it with the washed clothes. She made her way to the backyard to see flowers blooming in the spring.

Sehun looked out the window to see his wife squatting down to admire the flowers. He pull the curtain to cover his figure, making his way to the bathroom. He ed his pyjama when his fingers suddenly shook violently out of control making it hard for him to do it.

“Come on, why now?”

Luhan told him about his disease, there are times when he couldn’t control his limbs to wake up, feeling paralyzed. Sometimes they shakes involuntarily that he couldn’t do anything and lose his grip. The doctor thought that it might be an effect of trauma or problems with his brain. Somehow they couldn’t come to a conclusion.

After patiently waiting for the shaking to stop, he took a shower and hurried down to the dining. Areum was setting the table when he came.

“Morning” he greeted being polite.

“Morning” Arem didn’t expect the hugs and kisses anymore. This man is physically her husband but not mentally. “We have to go get the groceries and I thought you might want to come along.”

“Sure, I’ve got nothing to do anyway” he took a seat across her, holding his metal chopsticks when he felt his fingers trembling to keep the position right.

He eyed her who’s busy moving around to put things back to its place. Sehun lifted his hand to try picking up some rice only for the trembling to get worst. He couldn’t get to hold it properly , worst his arm suddenly jerked making the piece fell to the floor.

"Hmm, can you get me a spoon?"

She sat across him , putting the spoon on his side. "I hope you still like my food." She smiled, pouring him a glass of water.

Sehun slowly moved his fingers reaching for the spoon, he tighten his grip around the metal, bringing it to his bowl. Areum was busy eating that she didn't notice his struggles. While trying his best to scoop the rice, the spoon slipped from his hold sending his bowl sliding over to Areum's side. She pushed her chin up to face him.

"Sorry, I-I just. " He ran his fingers through his dark locks, his forehead filled with sweat. 

Areum didn't know it was this bad, his body was shaking and he seemed to be out of it. She saw his eyes getting teary, he must have faced it a lot of time before that he's so tired and worn out. "Let's take it slow ok, we'll wait for the trembling to stop."

"It's ok I don't feel like eating anymore." He stood up when she grabbed his wrist. "You need to eat, so sit."

"Don't force me"

"I said sit" She was so determined into helping him that she's getting on his nerves.

He pull away from her when she got up to stop him. "I won't let you starve."

"Stay away"

"No!"

That's it, he picked up his bowl throwing it to the wall behind her. "Aahh!!" She screamed covering her ears.

"Don't mess with me, I warned you" 

With that, he climbed up the stairs leaving her alone in the kitchen. Areum couldn't move an inch, her legs was shaking so bad. Sehun actually scares her, he was never like that but now, he changed. She shook her head trying to get her mind away from his sharp gaze and the scene from replaying. When the door bell rang, waking her up.

"Mama! Mama!"

Nara. It's weekend and she forgot about it. Sehun... what if he knows about her daughter with another man. Will he leave her?

 

"Nara-ah" she pull her into a hug, Kai was looking good in his tux, giving her his gentle smile. "Can I come in?"

"I- umm, Sehun's home" she couldn't risk him looking at the kitchen. It was a mess and what if Sehun comes down at the wrong time. The two probably won't love to see each other. 

"I'll come pick her up tomorrow"

"Actually... Sehun just came home and he's so tired. I don't think having Nara here for the moment is good. I hope you understand." She whispered in his ear, Nara was already inside, opening her bagpack filled with toys.

Kai bit his lower lip, "I have some urgent things to run too but I'll come back in the evening. Will you please look after her till then?."

"Okay and thank you so much, I'll explain it to her."

"No worries" 

She send him out, watching his car left the porch. She walked back in, giving her daughter a kiss on her cheek. No matter how often they get to see each other, it's never enough. Truthfully, she wants Nara to stay with her and not just dropping by on weekends.

"Mama look, Papa did my hair today. Do I look cute?"

"You look beautiful sweetie" she cupped her face, earning a loud giggle. "Let's go shopping for groceries, we need to get you, your favourite food. Mama will pack some for you later."

They continued talking and playing until the clock struck 12, she hadn't cook lunch and Sehun will be coming down the stairs soon. Nara had fallen asleep on the mat, Areum carried her to the couch, placing the little one on it. Rushing to the kitchen, she prepared a simple meal for the three of them. She heard no sound of footsteps coming down the stairs even after she had done setting the table. Instead of chopsticks, she placed fork and spoon for all of them so Sehun won't feel awkward.

 

She got it wrong, Sehun came down when she was busy cooking, he had his arms crossed, eyes on the sleeping cutie. He saw the resemblance between this girl and his wife but not himself. Luhan told him that he has no child so who is this?

Nara yawned, rubbing her eyes when her gaze fell upon her Uncle Sehun. "Uncle Sehun?"

'She knows me?' He cleared his throat, biting his lower lip. Nara reached her arms out to him, asking for a hug. "I miss you uncle" she pouted when he took so long to finally wrap his arms around her petite body. 

"Mama said you were so busy, we talked sometimes on Skype. It's nice having you back" she gave him a kiss, surprising him. Since when did he became so good with children? This girl adores him, she has her head leaned on his shoulder. 

"Nara-ah, come here, you can put her down." said Areum coming out from the kitchen. Sehun felt guilty for his previous action, how scared was she with his sudden outbrust? 

"No~, I want to be with Uncle Sehun"

"Listen to Mama and get down, walk on your own" She realised that she sounded strict when Nara hid her face in the crook of Sehun's neck. "Nara-"

"It's okay, let's eat" Sehun patted her tensed shoulder, guiding her to the dining room. He saw the fork and spoon, how considerate and caring of her even when he hurt her.

He didn't ask her anything about Nara, the girl didn't want to leave his side and ignored her mother completely. Sehun helped Nara to eat , feeding her from time to time. He loves this child, she's so lovely to him. 

 

At the grocery store

Nara stuck to Sehun all the time, he helped her choose her cereal, her new pair of socks and a hair clip. Areum kept filling the cart with the things that they need. She hadn't talk to Sehun since they left the house. She has no words to say and he's occupied with the girl he recently met and totally fall in love with. He always like children but never get the chance to approach them.

Sehun looked around to see if Areum was still somewhere far from them, he brace himself to ask the child about his curiosity. 

"So, Nara-ah, where's your father?"

"He's at work, and it's weekend so it's Mama's house for me." She picked a yogurt drink, handing it to Sehun. 

"Your father's name?"

"Kim Jongin, you can ask me more later" Areum appeared behind them with some fruits on her hand. "Let's go"

Nara trailed behind her mother while Sehun let out a heavy sigh. "Does it bother you that much that I'm asking someone else?"

"I just don't want her to get confused, she's just a child" she placed the stuffs on the counter, taking out her purse. 

Sehun didn't like her attitude and her answer. "We'll talk about this."

 

As soon as they get home and make sure that Nara was sound asleep in her bedroom,  the two of them went to the master bedroom. Areum sitting on the bed with a blank expression while Sehun walking back and forth trying to contain his anger.

"Mama? Who's that child? Who's the father?"

"She;s mine with my ex-boyfriend. You knew even before we got married, and you accept her like your own"

"I can see that, what more that you didn't tell me? Something bigger"

"That's it, nothing more. Sehun, I'm tired can I have some rest now?" She lied down on the mattress, her head throbbing form all the building tension between them since the morning. 

Sehun smirked, "I guess you can't handle me, having a lost guy in the house. A husband who can't even remembers his wife."

He's becoming more sensitive due to his condition, Luhan told her about it before. To be patient. 

"Sehun don't get me wrong, I love you and I care for you. It's just that... today is just a bad day for us. Tomorrow will be better, I believe that you need some rest too." She moved to the side, giving him space. 

"I don't think we should sleep on the same bed anymore, I'll move to another room."

"What? That's ridiculous"

"I don't know why but I think it's better for us to have some time alone. For me to slowly adapting to this changes and for your behalf too."

She closed her eyes, waking up to stand on her feet. "I'm sorry if I did pressure you or something but please don't make this kind of decision. I don't agree with it at all."

"You see, if you're in my position, sharing a bed with a guy you didn't know. Will it be comfortable for you? I'm thinking about the two of us, I need time and so do you."

He knew that he's being selfish and he's rubbing more salts on her wounded heart but if they would only argue each time they see each other. It would be better this way.

"Do whatever you want" 

She her heels, leaving him behind. 

Both of them upset.

Both of them hurt.

And it's only tearing them apart.

 

________________

I apologise for not updating, I have exams and I have been sick so sorry again

I hope you still like my fanfic

Subs and commnets , thank you

Love, cassilef29^^