The confession

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

For two months, Jongin has been coming to school regularly. He hadn't miss any day in about two months, and the thoughts of him being sick has been washed away from my mind. Never once I saw him being sick when he was with me, except for the pills he took after lunch. There was no sign that shows how sick he is until one day...

I came early as usual to wait for him and have him introducing me to new songs. I was looking at the clock hoping to catch a glimpse of him anytime soon. I was patiently waiting until the other kids arrived and the first period starts and he was still not there, smiling at me goofily while telling me about his day. I ate my lunch alone, forcing myself to chew bits by bits not to choke myself as I won't get any extra banana milk that day.

I got used to his presence, always there walking with me to every classes, telling me some random facts about Pororo and stuff people don't want to know like what kind of sounds your fart make. I grabbed my bagpack, sighing and with heavy steps I made my way alone to the gate when a boy came running towards me.

"Areum-ah" he was panting,trying to catch his breath. "Jongin, told me to pass you this" he handed me a piece of paper.

I hate my fat old nurse, she nags at me, a lot

-Kai-

"Which hospital?" I grabbed the boy's shoulders, asking him to answer me quick.

"The nearest from here"

I was running before I knew  it, for the second time in my life I am desperately running for someone. My mom was the first person, when a kid lied to me telling me that my mother actually came. I remember getting into troubles for slapping her across her face when I was 13. That joke is so not funny. I was sweating when I arrived at the registration desk.

"Kim Jongin, he must have been admitted last night"

"Level 5, 515"

 

I pushed the door open to see his eyes wide opened,looking back at me. He had canula in his nose, wires on his body connected to a machine that monitor his lungs, I guess? I hurried to his side, fresh tears filled my vision. His lips were chapped and blue. His eyes looked tired, his skin pale. He's not the same guy who was with me for the last two months.

"You came, sorry for not telling you sooner"

"You fool! How can you smile at time like this" I was literally shouting at a sick boy who was actually hiding his pain to make me feel better. "Look at you...you're sick"

"At least I'm not dead, right?" he raised an eyebrow with a smirk. "Look at you...I suggest you join the marathon"

He was making fun at me, I knew I look awful and miserable. My hair sticking out, my face red from the adrenaline rush earlier and yes, I was sweating all over. 

"Who's fault is it? I'm asking you" I crossed my arms, giving him my sharp glance. " You are so going to get it when you are fine enough to take my punch"

"I'm looking forward to that"

I didn't know what was wrong with me but as I watched him coughing badly as if his lungs could come out from his mouth, I began to panick, I pressed on the emergency button while my other hand held his shoulder tight. Jongin was covering his mouth with his palm and when he pull it back, I saw blood on his palm, dark red and it was dripping out from his mouth as well. He rubbed it off with his sleeve, giving me the assuring look that gave me a silent 'it's ok'.

"Help! Doctor!" I yelled and soon the room filled in with nurses and two doctors. One of the nurses me out from the room, ushering me to the green seat outside. I was shaking when I saw traces of his blood on my school uniform. Just a moment ago, he made fun of me and later, he was completely unwell with his eyes rolled back when I loosened my grip on his shoulder.

I covered my face with my palms when I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. I muffled my sob trying to keep myself calm but it didn't work. I was crying alone in front of the door that separated us. On the other side, my only friend is battling for his life while I couldn't do anything to help him, I felt useless and mad at myself for not looking after him when he was fine. Those pills he forgot to take, only if I remind it for him,,,maybe this day will never come.

Soon, a man and a woman who somehow seems familiar walked towards me. They took a quick glance at my tear-stained face before patting my shoulder. 

"Are you Kai's friend?"

I nodded slowly, lifiting my chin up to face them. "What happened?"

"H-He was coughing out blood.T-They are taking care of him" I replied, my voice was hoarse. The woman hugged her husband , crying on his shoulder.

"You are?" asked the man in an expensive suit.

"Wu Areum, his classmate"

"I didn't know Kai has any friend" commented the woman. "I am his mother"

I stood up to greet her after I got my senses back. "I just transferred here"

"No wonder" she took a seat next to mine, wiping her tears with a soft pink handkerchief. His mother is so elegant unlike her ignorance son.

 

"Mr and Mrs Kim please come with me and, he is asking for you, young lady" said the young doctor with a bitter smile.

I bowed to him, I twisted the doorknob and there he was lying on the bed looking helpless. He blinked his eyes as if asking for me to come closer. 

"Get some rest, you're unwell"

"Did I scare you?" his voice was lower than before, he was drowsy from the medicine they gave him. " I'm sorry I made you cry"

"Fool" I reached for his hand, holding it in mine. " Why did I even cry for you?" I was confused, mad,upset, name all the emotions, none can describe what I felt then. 

"Maybe because you love me? I mean...it is possible right?" 

"Can you just shut up and sleep? Me,myself is tired" I placed my other hand on top of our interwined fingers. He gave me the knowing look and somehow a goofy smile. 

"You love me Areum-ah, admit it, you even cry for me" he teased me again, I turned my face away from him. I felt stupid, did I just make it obvious?

"So? I was worried that you won't pay me back. You owe me some cash remember?" My pride was holding me back from admitting my feelings for him, but knowing Kim Jongin, he won't stop here.

"Be my girlfriend" came the bold request.

"Why?"

"Because I like you and you love me?"

"Cheesy" I stuck my tongue out at him. "Only...if you promise not to die before me"

He softly chuckle,tilting his head. "I'm not God, I can't promise you that"

"I don't care even if you live a second more than me, I just don't want anyone to leave me anymore" I was sincere with my words. My parents left me so, I couldn't afford more to lose. 

"I'll try, so, you're my girlfriend now right?"

"I hate the word girlfriend. Let's just say we are a little more than friends now" I smiled while his cheek, he leaned in my touch, kissing my palm. 

"I'm so happy right now Areum-ah" he closed his eyes slowly, drifting to sleep. He must be exhausted, I stared at him falling deep into slumber, I placed a soft kiss on his forehead, pulling my hand slowly from his grip.

"I'm happy too Kim Jongin"

 

a/n

Comments and subs please...I need to know what you think about my writing...please2 don't be silent readers.It kills my spirit