Growing pain

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

“What happened to your face?!” asked his mother, Kai shook his head, heading to the fridge. He took some ice out to put on his bruises. Luckily, his daughter has fallen asleep after a tiring day of learning Korean language.

He lied down on the couch, wincing when the ice touched his open cuts.

“How was Nara?”

“Don’t change the subject, explain” she crossed her arms, looking at her son with pity. “Did you find her?”

“Does it matter to you?” he rolled his eyes, getting up on his feet.

The last thing he wanted to hear is his mother’s nag. He’s not a kid anymore , he should have realized that earlier and make his moves faster. He should have been by her side long before so Sehun can never be in the picture.

“If you think that I will try to keep you away from her. You’re wrong”

“Can’t you change earlier mom? It’s all crushed now. It’s a total mess!” frustrated he climbed up the stairs to his room only to see a small figure hiding behind the wall at the corridor.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?”

Nara slowly walked out from the dark, holding a unicorn plushie. “I heard your voice Papa”.

“Speak in Korean, you’re in the country now”

“Papa…does it hurts?” she pointed to his face, grabbing his hand. “Can Nara kiss the pain away?”.

He smiled, carrying her in his arms. “Kiss me a goodnight sleep after I put you to bed”.

 

Sehun woke up with a terrible headache, he drunk a lot last night so it’s not a total surprise that he’s feeling like crap. Just then, his mouth tasted bitter than he ran to the toilet to vomit out all the food he ate yesterday or what has been left after the night before endless puking.

He looked in the mirror and realized how much he has changed before he married Areum. His eyes sunken, his dark circles just kept on getting darker each day of Areum’s nightmares and insecurities. Before, he was an upright guy with a healthy body but now, he’s getting sick day by day.

Looking at the bright side, he smiles more than before. He has a reason to live and to do well for her rather than wandering around without goals and purpose. After a long shower, he went to fix himself some breakfast. Kris was sprawled on the floor with the tv on.

Areum can never stay close to the kitchen until she’s stable enough. Her first episode was in the kitchen so they have to keep her away from it, afraid that it might strike her more frequent than now.

He put some food in the microwave for Kris too. Most of the foods are from their mother who are concern and understand about their situation. He left a note for Kris on the dining table.

            Eat, I will appreciate it if you pick up Areum from the hospital. Will be back late

                                                                                    -sehun-

 

At the office, his friends total ignored him. The ever busy body Baekhyun didn’t even come to his table for a morning gossip neither do the  giant who never failed to . They’re staying away from him, upset that he kept a secret from them for the sake of his wife.

Who says he’s not lonely? Who says that he’s not tired of taking care of his sick wife? He is, every second he’s losing the old Sehun the fun side of him, who can be careless under the care of his two best friends. Now the both of them are drifting apart from him and if Areum choose to be with her old lover, he’s left alone.

He’s hurt, crushed and miserable.

“Good morning, it’s time for your presentation” came  Chanyeol reminding him of his important meeting. At least he has to keep his position in the company.

“Let’s go” he walked out with his hyung to assist him.

“You don’t look fine though”

“No worries” he shrugged him off again. Chanyeol shook his head sending a look to Baekhyun who refused to care.

Everyone in the room can see how the handsome, neat Oh Sehun was not in his best condition. His lips were pale and chapped. Despite his usual appearance, his skin was losing its colors.

“We can postpone this, you look like you’re going to collapse any moment from now”

“Then catch me hyung” he smirked, setting down his laptop. His headache won’t go away, it felt like something is hammering the nerves in his brain. Being stubborn he continued with his presentation. Chanyeol couldn’t take his eyes off the younger while Baekhyun stood on his ground not to care despite the worried look on his face.

“I did some poll on-“ his words got cut by the throbbing pain in his head, he took a deep breath trying to clear his mind. Chanyeol was about to run to his side when he held his hand back to stop him, signaling that he’s fine.

“Are you ok Director Oh?” asked the president.

“Sorry for the interruption. Moving on” he started to get double visions, his body never felt so light before and soon his sight turned pitch black and a loud thump was heard hitting the floor.

“Sehun, Sehun-ah!” called Chanyeol running to his side from the podium.

“Let’s take him to the hospital” Baekhyun couldn’t help but to worry about his friend.

He was sweating that they removed the grey blazer from his body and his tie. Baekhyun moved to his sleeves and rolled it up when a sight of a long scar caught his eyes.

It was new and red.

“What the hell happened to him?” he thought it was only a whisper but Chanyeol heard him and his eyes turned to look at the younger’s arm.

“Let’s move him”.

 

“Are you his family?”

“We are his brothers” Chanyeol and Baekhyun were given the day off to take care of Sehun. Looking at how surprised Baekhyun looked, he’s the one who needs to stay strong and to think positive about the unconscious man.

“It is fatigue and it seems like the patient is lack of nutrition. You should take better care of your brother’s meals. I’ll assign him for 3 days leave”.

“Thank you doctor”

“What about his arm?” finally Baekhyun said something other than staring quietly at the floor.

“It seems like it was an accident but I can’t deny that it might turn to something that you’re thinking. Watch over him more”.

They walked in the room, Sehun was awake and confused.

“Hyung take me home, it’s suffocating here”

“Can’t you stop being dumb?! You’re ing sick and you need to rest so shut up and lie down!”

Chanyeol kept a safe distance from the flaming diva. He couldn’t blame him for raising his voice like that, Sehun need a piece of advice but scolding him was the best at the moment.

“I can’t, I need to go home. Areum is coming home today” it slipped from his tongue gaining a question look from the two.

“Where was she the whole time?” Baekhyun crossed his arms, demanding an answer.

“I’ll explain but not now, not today. Just let me go home” he reached over for his wallet and cellphone on the side table only to be held back by Chanyeol.

“You’re not going anywhere unless you tell us what turned you into this?” it was Chanyeol’s turn to speak up.

“Just promise me nothing will change after this, nothing”

 

“Mama came earlier to stock up the food, so don’t ever bother coming to the kitchen” warned Kris putting her stuff on the floor.

“You people are just afraid of my stupid act”

“You know yet you still do it” he didn’t mean to be mean but he’s just mad at her for being selfish. “Listen don’t ever meet that bastard again, and try your best to get well now that you have a responsibility as a wife. Grow up”.

Areum didn’t know whether she should be mad at Kai or be thankful that he’s alive. Isn’t bad to wish for someone’s death? She looked around the house, it is too big to live only the both of them here.

“I want to see him, I want to ask him why he left me hanging 4 years ago with the lie that he’s dead. I need an answer so whether you like it or not, I need to see him” she knew how this will turn into an argument, Kris walked towards her with his fist clenched tightly by his side.

“Will things change after that? Will you leave Sehun when you got the nice answer and realized that you’re still stupidly into him? Stop turning back”

Areum shook her head, looking into the pair of angry eyes. “You don’t understand! I gave up my dreams for him to bear our child so I should at least get an answer for my sacrifice.”

“That is your responsibility, if the both of you think straight enough, none of these would have happened. You might be in the school you deserved to be rather than going back and forth to the hospital. Truthfully, I’m tired, I miss my old sister so bring her back!” as soon as he saw the tears in her eyes, he regretted his words.

“I’m sorry that you lost her ”she wiped off her tears, walking away from him. She sat on the floor at the corner of the other side of the space, hugging her knees. The first time he realized that she’s depressed was the time when she started to cry so frequently hiding at a corner in the house and that haven’t change either.

Depression doesn’t just affect the patient but people around them as well. It has been eating Kris for a long time now and he couldn’t say what he wanted to say out loud. He suppressed his anger, held back his words and finally he let it out, hurting her.

“Sehun” he called looking at the figure standing in front of him, there were two guys by his side, the tallest held his arm as if he could fall any moment and the other has his briefcase in his hand.

“I’ll go get her, don’t worry too much” he patted Kris’ arm, slowly making his way to his wife.

“Careful” whispered Chanyeol. “Take care, we’re leaving now”.

Their eyes followed him with a sad look, he’s totally drained but he managed to reach her without his legs giving up. As soon as he’s closed to her, he pulled her into his embrace.

“Ssshh.. Kris didn’t mean that. He’s just tired”

She leaned on him, hugging him back. “I’m sorry”.

“You’ll be fine, I’m right here for you”, he kissed her forehead, resting his back on the wall. He can rest later but now she needs his attention the most.

Again, her before himself.  

 

________

tq for the comments, as you can see this chap is longer hehehe

sorry for it to be so short before,I'll try to write longer

tq for the heart warming commnts for how this story touched your souls, it's every author's dreams to get that praise

so continue commenting and tq for loving my ff. xoxox ^^