Walls

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

"He replied to me!" Areum ran down the stairs showing her siblings the text she just received from Sehun after so long. She was all smile and jumpy hugging the two. "I knew it, he's just too busy to answer me. He will never forget me" she shed her tears letting Kris enveloping her in his arms, kissing his sister's crown, happy for her.

"I knew it Kris, he still loves me, I was just so stupid for not believing him. He must be so upset" she bursted out tears , burying her face in his chest. "I feel so bad". 

Kris softly rubbed her back to comfort her, he just couldn't stop thinking about how busy Sehun would be to abandon his one and only wife. He's not that kind of guy, he's just not and wouldn't be. But for now, all that matters is Areum. He should just keep the curiousity to himself and forget the plan to bring her to China. She's fine here and if he really couldn't wait to know what actually happened there, he would have to go alone.

"Go to bed now, it's late. He must be preparing to sleep already. Goodnight and wash your face or it will get puffy in the morning" he forced a smile on his face, giving his sister one last squeeze , watching her go up the stairs smiling to herself.

"Kris, whatever you have in your mind... Don't say it to Areum"

Kris ignored Amber making his way to his room, he just couldn't bring himself to open up to the girl. It's not her fault that he's being a jerk towards her.

 

Nara held both of her parents hand, walking to the park with them. Their usual activity on the weekend is to spend some quality time together as a family, a complete family. Areum didn't resist the idea of it, but it never cross her mind to think that Kai is her husband. She drew the line between them clearly , just friends and that's it. Nara do sometimes force her parents to be close to each other like holding hands or sharing food but she could see how different her mother act towards her father and Uncle Sehun.

“Yesterday I drew a picture of our family. Papa, Mama and me. We are holding hands like this, I will show it to you mama so do come over”

Areum bit her lower lip, going back to the mansion never crossed her mind after the event which she changed her to the wrecked person she was before.

17 years old Areum

Areum was on her knees vomiting her dinner, Kris rushed to the bathroom when he heard the awful sound. He softly rubbed his sister’s back as she kept on puking as if her organs might come out as well.

“Are you okay? Skip school today, I’ll take you to the clinic” Kris wiped away those sweat on her forehead, her face pale and she looked so tired.

“I just need some rest Kris, I must be tiring myself out with all the school work. It’s my senior year after all.” She managed to smile despite the throbbing pain in her head.

Kris wrapped his arm around her waist guiding her to the bed, she was so worn out. Just then, he started to put all the puzzles together. Vomitting, change of taste, mood swings those are the symptoms for a pregnant person.

Areum who has always been hating peanuts started to snack on them, a few days before she cried when Kris nagged about her spending more time outside than home, then she hated her cologne and went to school with Kris’ perfume. It’s not the first time she’s puking her guts out either, it has been ongoing for 3 days.

He looked over to her, eyebrows creasing. “Wu Areum ,I think you need a pregnancy test”.

Areum snickered at him, shaking her head in denial. “Kris, it must be stomach bugs don’t scare me”

“Have you ever slept with him? Answer me” he remained his serious face and his tone sounded stern. “Wu Areum”

“What do you expect? We’re teenagers with raging hormones”

“So you did and without protection?”

Areum buried her face in a pillow. “Just give me the pregnancy test”.

Kris’ eyes widened in surprise. “YOU GUYS DARE TO DO IT WITHOUT PROTECTION AND BEING AND UNDERAGE YOU ARE!! “

“You can yell at me all you want but let’s just find out first”

Kris grabbed her wrist pulling her with him. “We’re going to the hospital right now, no compromise and you better keep your mouth shut!”

She stayed quiet, letting him guide her way. He drove to the nearest hospital, not minding that Areum might be queasy and threw up again. She was nervous, her heart was trying to jump out of her chest.

She reached for her cellphone and a text from Kai made her calm.

Morning, why aren’t you coming to school? Are you ok? Want me to come over later?

She decided not to reply to him yet, she has to make sure of it herself. Somehow she predicted it to happen. Being a young mother scares her, she’s a child herself. She silently prayed to all the Gods out that to save her, to give her the best result.

 

It was 7p.m. when the big mansion almost collapsed because of a constant loud impatient knocking on the heavy door. The maids rushed over to greet the guest to see a familiar face of the lady who’s well-known as their young master’s love interest.

“Areum-ssi and-“

“Where is Kim Jongin? I need to talk to him now, call his parents too”

A woman who has the looks of the mentioned boy came down the stairs, making her way to the front door. “What is with the fuss? Come in Areum and?”

“I’m her brother, Kris and I believed that your son and my sister’s act out of thinking might make you as furious as I am now” his face was red in anger, Areum hid behind him trembling in fear. She has never really seen this side of him before.

Kai quickly swallowed his medicine and walked to the living room. He smiled brightly to see his girlfriend there but Kris’ sharp gaze pierced through his eyes. He looked so angry and so not like the cool brother he is.

“Sit Kai” his mother commanded.

“So, what brings you here?”

Kris cleared his throat, handing a picture to the elegant looking woman. “I believe that your son 

has got my sister pregnant.”

The black and white sonogram showed a picture of a small round figure. Her shoulders hunched and she felt like her soul has left her body. Kai got his jaw wide opened that soon turns into a genuine smile.

“Our baby” He took the picture from his mother, the cute little creature.

“It’s on the first month” Areum was so happy to see the respond from her boyfriend. She knew that he won’t let her down.

“The problem now is , how can both of you be so irresponsible and got yourself in this? You’re 17, how can Areum took her final exam when she would be in her 8 months by then? How?!” Kris clenched her fist, if Kai is as healthy as a horse, he might have punched him on the face but he’s not. His blackened lips displayed his malfunctioning heart.

Mrs. Kim, massaged her temple trying to calm herself down. “Are you sure that is my son’s?”

“Omma, how can you say that? It’s mine, I know it” he couldn’t stop smiling annoying the two adults. Areum kept her face hidden behind Kris’ back, she’s too afraid to meet the gaze of Kai’s mother.

“How can you be so sure? Mr. Wu as I know, you are not that straight of your mind either. How does it feel like living as a host?”

Areum stood on her feet upon listening to the rude words coming out of . “Mr.Kim you can accused me of anything, hate me all you want but not my brother and for sure, this child I’m carrying is your son’s. Kris let’s get out of here.”

“How can you talk to me like that young lady? That must it be like, living without parents. The children grow up to be a piece of thrash”

“Omma!” Kai was so mad at her mother, she has been telling him to stay away from Areum. She has a host as a brother, and her mother is somewhere in a mental hospital. She did a background check on the lady who managed to capture her son’s heart, but having Areum in their family will only ruin their image.

“My brother and I have been living fine all this time, we never begged for money or pity. We did survive with only us”

Kris pull her sister’s arm, making her sit on the sofa. “Don’t play all noble with me now Mrs.Kim your son has to be responsible for what he has done. Prove yourself worth the respect, we’re leaving.”

“Omma, I know her, she’s loyal to me and I’m the one who brought her into this. Won’t you be happy that you got a grandchild from me? I might have just died leaving you alone but look, you have a new treasure now mom.” He showed her the picture again. “Omma, please, believe me.”

“I want the both of you out of my house now. GET OUT!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. “I don’t care about that child, abort it, I’ll compensate you. Think about your future as a talented student.”

“Mrs.Kim it has never crossed my mind to abort it. It’s our fault not the child, forget it. I can do it on my own” her eyes gone watery, she held Kris’ arm giving him her pleading look. “Let’s go Kris, there’s nothing more we can say.”

“I’ll come with you, I love you. We’ll raise the child together”

“Kai, come back in, we’re heading to the hospital soon. Get him in his room. NOW!”

Kai walked after her, pulling her arm. “I love you and I’m so happy about it” he placed his palm on her abdomen. Areum smiled despite the ached in her heart.

Kris soften to see how determined the boy to look after his sister in that condition. He’s walking slower than a normal person’s pace and he’s already out of breath. They’re lucky that the news didn’t give him a heart attack.

“If you really love my sister, be responsible”

“I will, I promise you hyung” the maids held his arms trying to get him back in the mansion.

“I allow you to see her anytime you can but for now, go get your treatment. Areum need her baby’s father”

Areum pecked Kai’s lips whispering ‘I love you too’ to him. She her heels leaving Kai behind. He couldn’t fight them and he knew well that he might lose all the air in his lungs if he ran after Areum. He watched her figure getting smaller as she got in Kris’ car.

“Why were you quiet when she said all of those stuff to you?”

“Because it’s true. I’m a host and our mother is mentally ill. It’s a statement, she’s just saying the truth.”

Areum placed her hand on top of her brother’s. “You know I love you so much, my brother”

“Keep the baby, I’m an uncle now”

“Can I say that you’re the world’s best brother? You’re just so nice and a fool for me”

“Can’t help it, you’re the only family I have.”

 

“Nara, your mother need to rest. We have been out all day” Kai tried to talk his daughter out of it. He still remember the terrified look on her face when Areum saw her mother on the day she first send Nara back to the mansion.

“I would love to stay till you sleep”

Nara jumped in happiness, she wanted her mother to see her masterpiece and at the same time she planned on getting her father extra time with her mother. Areum was all quiet when Sehun has not been replying to her texts and to see how she’s back to herself, he must have replied her.

When they arrived, Nara pull her mother up to her room, Kai looked around to see if his mother’s in.

“Is my mother’s home?”

“She went out since the morning”

He heard laughter in Nara’s room, he peeked to see Areum looking through Nara’s baby photos. He forgot to show her how her daughter has been growing up, the 4 years she missed. On the other hand, he noticed how well Nara speaks Korean now, he wonders if she will be happy to live in her birth country.

“Mama, when can we live under the same roof?”

Areum her daughter’s cheeks, her skin felt so soft under her fingertips. She has her look and Kai’s but a lot more her father. When she was a child, she had been waiting so long for her mother to comeback, she knows well how painful it is to hope for something unclear.

“W-We can’t. I know this must be hard for you but you can always come sleep over at mama’s house.”

“Why mama choose Uncle Sehun and not papa?” she turned her back from her mother, rubbing her teary eyes. “Teacher said, parents should live together but why can’t you?”

“You see, Nara…”

“Nara, if you’re not going to behave, papa is sending mama home now” Kai walked in the middle of the conversation.

“Why can’t Nara be like other families? Why can’t mama and papa live together when Uncle Sehun is not here?” she buried herself in her blanket, her shoulders moved up and down as she sobbed.

It must have been confusing for the little girl to see that her parents never show affection towards one another, her mother married another man and she was separated from her mother for 4years. How can she not be confused?

Areum hugged the small figure, making white sound to soothe her. “Sometimes, different is not always wrong and bad. You’re still our precious daughter.”

“Really?”

“Yes you are sweetie pie” Kai kneeled on the floor, facing her. “Can papa see your face now?”

“If papa promise not to take mama away”

“Promise”

She pull the blanket off her and jumped into her father’s arms. Kai peppered her face with kisses earning giggles from the girl, Areum can never deny how good Kai is as a father. 

She wonders how Sehun will act when they have a child of their own? But Sehun has been avoiding the topic, giving her excuses and now avoiding her. He might be answering her texts but he’s not the same him.

“Mama, mama” Nara shook her mother’s arm, waking Areum from her thoughts.

“Yes”

“Lie down next to me, please~” she showed her puppy eyes and no one can ever resist that. “Papa too”

Areum scooted to the back, making space for Nara and Kai. The three of them lied down on the queen sized bed with Nara in the middle. It was awkward but they’re willing to do anything for their daughter.

Nara wrapped her arms around Areum’s waist, looking up to her mother. “Mama can you stay until I fall asleep?”

“Sure sweetie” she kissed her crown, hugging her petite body. Kai watched over the two of them, his lips curled to a smile. “Why don’t you sing her the lullaby like you used to” he suggested.

“When I was inside you?”

Areum chuckled at her question. “When you were about 3 months old”

“How big was I?”

“Small like a peanut, but when you started to kick, you keep me up all night”

They talked about those fond memories of the amazing moments she experienced when she got pregnant with her little angel. Kai interfere when he wanted to and together they shared the same laughter. Nara can never be happier, she made sure to tell her friends about it.

That she has a complete family.

 

“I don’t know if you will remember what I said now Sehun but, I’m getting over to the edge now. I can’t do this anymore, it’s stressing me out to be the only who knows about your condition. I replied to your wife’s texts but soon, she will notice how different we are. So I beg you, please be strong and wake up now. She’s waiting for you” Luhan ruffled his hair in frustration, leaning his back on the chair. “I’m your only visitor, isn’t that lonely? Is it time for us to tell your family about this?”

Sehun’s absence from the office has been the only thing the employees were talking about. Their hardworking CEO never in his room again and his clients has all been pushed to other designers. The only who knows about the mysterious disappearance of the man is his secretary.

Some said that Sehun hide himself cause he couldn’t take the stress, there are rumors that he’s dead and some just said that he went back to Korea. But for sure, it seems like he’s not going to be in until a long period of time.

“She’s happy to spend more time with her daughter but she missed you. She kept on saying it over and over again, hoping for you to comeback or at least, invite her over which you couldn’t. If only you listened to me, you would never be that clumsy and almost killed yourself in the fire.”

The doctor came over to look at his chart, he checked Sehun’s burned skin under the wire gauze. “He needs a plastic surgery to erase these third degree burn”

“Doctor, when do you think he will wake up?”

“His lungs are working fine and so does his whole system but he has no will at the moment. We have to wait Mr. Lu”

“Will he be the same after he wakes up?”

“We can never predict the brain Mr.Lu, he might be the same man or a stranger. He went in a shock during the surgery, he must be traumatized with the event, the fire almost killed him and now those fear is holding him back. Let’s pray for the best.”

Luhan send the doctor out and took out Sehun’s cellphone, he played the next video of his boss’ precious gem.

“Hey, honey, can you see how cute she is dancing on the stage. I mean she’s good, unlike me. Did she have your blood running in her veins? It must be the love you have for me making me a fool who thinks only you.”

The video continued showing the little girl dancing to an upbeat music, it echoed in the empty space of V.I.P room.

“I love you and I miss you. Bye”

Luhan turned the cellphone off. “I’m sorry Sehun, I bet you need to hear the real her to gain the strength.I’m sorry.”

_________

Comments and tq for the upvotes!! ^^

Subs for updates

Don't be silent readers kay, it broke my heart T-T

Enjoy!