of roses and thorns

Lies and Love- Myungjong One-Shot Collection

*After 634178647812311 years I'm able to do an update. This is not my favorite work but I hope you'll enjoy it. I haven't fulfilled my promises yet so I'll work harder. Still got tons of work to do because of my full-time job and attending classes to get a masteral degree. I think, I'm getting crazier even though I'm already this weird. Anyways, lovelots to those who kept on passing by or returning here from time to time just to read.

*Enjoy!

 

 

“What changed?”

“If we… decided to let everything decide for itself, would you let it be? Would you actually fall, in love with this person in front of you, and not with someone you would never see?”

“You’re the one who would understand me… I never chose to feel this way, and I never wanted to hurt you. Giving you pain is the least thing that I want to do, but I ended up being this stupid person to do it first.”

“You know that you would never be able to have another partner in life, and you wouldn’t be allowed to have another one, right?”

“Yes, I knew even before I decided to be an idiot in love. I knew.”

“Then, I won’t be holding you back, please, don’t hurt yourself more. I’ll pray for your happiness.”

For once, they did not felt less than being free.

--

It’s another busy day in the city. He wakes up exactly five in the morning, just as the alarm he had set goes off to remind him that he needs to get up already and prepare for whatever he’ll need to face.

Like his father’s hard punch and his mother’s tears.

“Do you have any idea what ruckus you just have done?!”

Instead of answering, he walked staggeringly towards his room’s bathroom sink to wash the blood oozing from his busted lower lip. He’s quite sure it would leave a dire scar later.

“Don’t you dare turn your back on me while I’m talking to you!”

“Can’t you just stay still for a while? This face is part of my job, so I need to cover up this mark which, you gave me.”

“How dare you-”

“I know what I’ve done wrong, but that doesn’t mean I am repentant about it.”

“But dear… you know what would happen to you so why did you let her-”

“Mom, I’d rather choose this lone path than live for as long as I can with the fact that there’s nothing that could form between us.”

“Son, she’s a Rose, of course it would be easy for her to agree with you and just do whatever she wants or be with anyone she likes, but you… you’re born a Thorn. We we’re lucky that your grandparents and hers had an agreement when they were young that they would let their first grandson and granddaughter to get married once they reach the right age.”

“Now that you’ve broke that deal, where do you think you would end up in the future?!”

“Hmmm, still modeling?”

“You brat-”

“Bye Mom, Dad. And right, Dad, make sure you drink your medicine for that hypertension, Mom, I’ll bring you some skin tightening cream later. Love you.”

--

Roses and Thorns.

It would have been a foreign concept if you were born in the 21st century and years before that. The 22nd century would have been less different if it wasn’t for a virus brought by an unexpected meteorite that struck the south pacific ocean, airborne and could not be treated by any form of medicine. 

Millions of people were affected, and the case became pandemic. The signs were paralysis, ash gray skin, sunken cheeks and eyes, and lost of hair all over the victim’s bodies. Yet, as they were asked, the symptoms consist of excruciating pain all throughout their torso and limbs, except for the head, where the virus was found residing in the brain stem, others on the spinal canal.

Those who were lucky enough to not undergo paralysis yet have the same visuals as that of the bedridden patients underwent various examinations, and were found out to be semi-immune from the virus. That is, they would be affected physically but they won’t be affected further than that. Physical pain and paralysis were not experienced by them, and as they have their own offspring after marrying the same type of person who’s semi-immune or those who are not affected by the virus, their children were discovered to be totally immune. They are now known as the Roses.

The term Rose that is used to label their kind came from the discovery that under the microscope, the image of the alien virus resembles that of a rose in full bloom.

Those who are discovered to be carriers, yet do not undergo any changes at all, had offspring who are mutated in a way that could be physically seen such as horns on their head that resembles that of a ram or thorns at their back or any other part of their bodies which resembles short ones like that of an armadillo or long ones which resembles that of a porcupine. They are what they call the Thorns at the present.

 Physical change was no problem at all, since they were mentally sane. The problem lies with the fact that during the time that these persons decided to have their own children, from anyone but the Roses, the offspring behaved like wild animals, and had distorted bodies with ash gray skin.

Unless one decides to build a family with a Rose, they are not allowed to have their own biological children, as it was imposed by the law. The hard part comes in with the people seeing them as nothing but monsters, making it scarce to find such a valuable partner for them.

Sungjong doesn’t care about that reality though. Being alone has always been easier after all.

--

“Aren’t that the Thorn model?”

“Isn’t he always with his Rose?”

“You mean the girl she always comes here with? They actually broke off the engagement.”

“Oh, but how would he-”

Their whispered exchange of words was hushed into complete silence when one of them pointed at Sungjong approaching their table, making some of them feeling embarrassed from what they did just a few seconds ago, and others to have the urge to ask more about the news that they have heard about the quite known Rose-Thorn couple.

Youngsun, his once fiancée was a daughter of a well-known designer, and it was considered to be great news when people knew of her engagement with one of the popular model for her mother’s brand, despite of being a Thorn that could easily be an outcast in the society after the breakout. For someone who was supposed to be physically horrendous, Sungjong is quite an art. There are little thorns that seems like studs and that grew out from both his cheeks, rising to both outer sides of his forehead. It reaches up to his backbone, the largest thorn on top of his vertebral prominence at his lower neck. All in all, it looks pretty and not something to be afraid of. It’s true, it made him look different, but in a good way, that would make people admire him, and bring money through his job, but nothing near to give him a lifetime partner. Having a relationship with a Thorn, worst marrying one, is a big offense if one’s not a Rose.

Since the goal of the government is to get rid of all possible traces of conceiving more Thorns.

“Mind if I join?”

“No, it’s fine. Um, Jong, we heard that you broke the engagement off with-”

“Yes, I did. And I felt nothing less than great.”

With this they looked at him with curious gazes making him almost laugh, if not for the fact that other models and make-up artists are looking their way as well.

“It’s better that I’m the only one who suffers from being alone, not the two of us once we get locked up in a loveless relationship. If it’s you, what would you do?”

Standing from the table, he decided to leave his half-eaten chicken sandwich to fix his self before having his make-up and change of clothes for the next photo shoot for a fashion magazine.

He has nothing against curious people; it’s the never-ending need for closed answers that irritates him. Adding more fuel to the fire is quite fun but he’s not planning of burning a whole city so he’ll stop feeding their curiosity for now.   

--

“Don’t you dare!”

“Oh, I actually will.”

“Can’t you be a more descent human being just until high school end?!”

“Nope, won’t do.”

“You know that you would not be able to marry me anyways, so stop being a flirt and focus on passing this last year and entering college soon. We’re not getting any younger Myung.”

“It’s not like anyone of us could get pregnant. We could just adopt a kid, and if it’s not possible, then we’ll just bring up your cat as our own son. No problem at all.”

“Really? Well Mr. Kim, your plan would actually bring you to jail and get you to pay a hefty sum of fine for not being a Rose who decided to be in a relationship with a Thorn. We cannot hide this forever. Sooner or later one or two persons will know. And I don’t want to hinder you just because you’re unlucky to want to stick to the likes of me.”

“Mr. Lee Sungjong, I want you to know that I entered this relationship knowing how heavy the consequences could be. So don’t worry and just face the fact that we like, no, slash that, we love each other. And that won’t stop from me kissing you right now.”

“No you can’t kiss me.”

“Yes I will.”

“No you-”

His words were cut off by soft pair of lips locking with his, it’s chapped, and the kiss did not felt like fireworks filling the night sky and covering the skyscrapers drowning their city lights. Rather than rush, he felt like flowing slowly, and being draped by that soft blanket, making his own fears slowly dissipate into nothingness.

They were both smiling in the kiss, and before they both melt, they slowly pulled away from each other, heavy lids opening in a slow manner.

“See? I told you there’s no point in arguing with me.”

“Whatever. You’re just abusing the fact that I love you. A lot.”

“What? I don’t think I’ve heard you clearly. Mind- Ouch!”

Glaring at his partner, Sungjong then decided to storm off, but a gentle smile formed on his lips, seemed to be stuck and won’t go anytime sooner.

--

“How could someone like you decide that you could simply leave such a wonderful lady, as if she’s just another girl out there?”

“If she’s that great as you said then you go marry her.”

Before he could avoid the anger of his co-model in the agency, a heavy punch landed on his face, making his lips bleed for the second time that day. Instead of fighting back, though, he opted for the more irritating response- not saying a word and just walking away as if nothing just happened. He wants to avoid a disaster but hyping anger happened to be one of his talents anyways.

“You’re seriously crazy! Do you know how many persons dream of being in your place just to be with Youngsun? So what the hell is wrong with you?! You’re not even worthy of being her partner for life!”

“You just answered your question. If I am not worthy to be with her, what’s the point of tying the knot? Unless you want to see her end up with another stranger, why don’t you use this time to run after her and not spend it on nobodies like me?”

Throwing one last hateful glance to his direction, the other guy just stomped his feet and decided to leave earlier than intended, leaving Sungjong to look for any left-over band-aids in the wardrobe staff’s items who always bring bunch of those little patches whenever there’re long photo shoots or fashion runway shows, when one of the photographers came to get his laptop placed upon heaps of thrown neon clothes.

“What the- Sungjong-ah, what happened?!”

“I’ve got a busted lip, that’s it. Nothing serious to worry about, really.”

“Try taking acting lessons before you say those words again to me. We’re not able to spend time but don’t expect that you could lie that easily to me now. Who did you irritate this time?”

Sighing loudly, Sungjong decided to avoid another conversation and moved farther from the photographer but before he could totally leave, the other pulled him strongly and forced him to sit down towards the nearest seat which happened to be in front of the vanity mirror. Even when he tried to move in order to escape, the other man held his ground and did not allow such action. Reaching out to one of his hoodie’s pockets, he took his clean handkerchief to remove the remaining blood on the younger’s lips.

“Stupid Myungsoo. You don’t need to do this, you know. Haven’t I offended you enough by being in a relationship with Youngsun? So why do you keep on being kind to me? I hate this.”

“Whatever. You always ask me every damn time, but you know the answer don’t you? I did not leave when you decided to be with her, or when the two of you lasted for quite some time. I was happy to be in the sidelines, always that crazy bastard who loves giving pain to himself. You’re the stupid one for making me feel hope again.”

They wanted to hold each other’s hands, but Sungjong can’t bear seeing Myungsoo in that old predicament again. That one time when he thought he will be the reason of the disappearance of a great future for the one he loves. He can’t bear to see that day again.

--

“What have I seen last time? Aren’t you just my son’s best friend? Do best friends try to seduce each other? Are you trying to create problem for Myungsoo? Will it be fun to see him suffering once others discover about what you have between the two of you?!”

“Ma, it’s not his fault that-”

“You, stay out of this! And don’t try to defend this Thorn or I’ll transfer you to another school right at this moment!”

It was all of a sudden, with both cuddling each other in a couch, doing an X-men movie marathon as what they have promised to do once endterm exam is over, when Myungsoo’s mother arrived, just as his son left a gentle kiss on Sungjong’s forehead.

“And you young man, if ever I saw you again hovering around my son and if ever I hear from someone else that the two of you spend alone time together I assure you, you would never be able to see each other again! Now get out of here before I sue you of whatever I could come up with later!”

Without any response, he left.

Without others asking him to do so, despite of not having Myungsoo’s mother around them, Sungjong avoided the other like the plague.  

As if saying that it’s easy to let go.

“Sungjong! What’s wrong with you?”

“You should ask yourself about that. What’s wrong with you? You don’t need to ask, yes, I’m trying to avoid you. And it’s easier to breathe this time, ‘cause I don’t need to act as if everything’s not real, since the reality now doesn’t have an us.”

“You don’t need to follow what-”

“I’m not doing this because I’m following them. This is because for once, I’ve realized, that it’ll be so much easier for me and you to just move separate ways already! ”

“You’re just saying this but you don’t really mean it don’t you, Sungjong? Why are you like this? Every time you’re in pain or in trouble you push anyone who tries to help you!”

“Well just leave already then! So that you don’t need to get irked every damn time that I’m being a brat!”

Shaking his head, the older man clenched his teeth and backed away without saying a word, while the younger of the two raised his head, trying to fight back the tears from streaming down his now flaring cheeks.

They both wanted to understand but they just can’t.

--

“Sp, what do you want to do now? Bowling? Ice cream? Ea-”

“Shut up…. Make that eating ice cream while watching horror movies.”

“Ice cream and horror movies it is then.”

Without any other words of comfort, or sweet promises, or holding of hands, they felt tons of times better.

That in itself, assured him that yes, love doesn’t disappear no matter how much you try to bury it so deep within you, or pull it out from you.

And that is the hardest part.

--

 

 

*Yup, quite a rushed ending but I think that's how I want it to be, to have that sense of vagueness most of the time. Right, hope you understand this side of me as well. See (I mean I'll read your comment if you ever leave one) you next time for a new chapter!

*Here are some free hugs and kisses! Nope, don't try to avoid it.

#still.have.that.myungjong.fever